ADVERTISEMENT

The demise of the ACC foretold...

ecojew

All American
Feb 1, 2006
For those who miss conference realignment threads, I just came across this interesting but very surprising article about the fate of the ACC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...n&cvid=a36cf584d6c54518ae2e99f0a35142c4&ei=12

I've never heard of this source and have no idea how reliable it might be. Some here may be pleased about the three schools left out of the mix!

Miami to the B1G seems very unlikely to me, as it is not an AAU member (and its name is not ND). But the others are plausible but might likely mean that the discussion about further West Coast expansion by the B1G would be unlikely.

For those who miss conference realignment threads, I just came across this interesting but very surprising article about the fate of the ACC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...n&cvid=a36cf584d6c54518ae2e99f0a35142c4&ei=12

I've never heard of this source and have no idea how reliable it might be. Some here may be pleased about the three schools left out of the mix!

Miami to the B1G seems very unlikely to me, as it is not an AAU member (and its name is not ND). But the others are plausible but might likely mean that the discussion about further West Coast expansion by the B1G would be unlikely.
Miami likely will be put on a contingency plan to get their academics to AAU quality. As for West Coast expansion, let's revisit this in the 2030s sometime should the B1G get UVA/UNC/GT/UMiami.

The conference is beyond awful

In Tallahassee this weekend for the FSU spring game and seeing the ACC logo is making me physically ill

My understanding is that undergrad academics are not the big factor in gaining AAU membership. Instead, it is research spending that matters and that mostly involves strong graduate and professional school programs. That is why Nebraska was kicked out and why Syracuse withdrew to spare itself the embarrassment of being kicked out. Miami is similar to SU in this regard.

I neglected to mention that Duke (AAU member) and WF were also left out in the article linked in the OP. I could see Duke, together with UNC, joining the B1G together, leaving Miami out.

My personal preference is that no conference goes beyond 16 full members. Anything beyond that will just seem to be a mish mosh of schools without good rivalries since schedules will be far more irregular than what we have already in a 14 school, soon-to-be 16 schools, conference. RU has been in the league for 9 seasons now and, if memory serves correctly, has played Purdue just twice and NW only 2 or 3 times.

In my opinion, when conferences become too unwieldly, they will cease to be real conferences and serve primarily as agents for the negotiation of TV and other contracts. I don't see this as good for college sports, which is already struggling with the plethora of issues arising from the out-of-control transfer portal system and the new NIL system, whose impact has yet to be fully realized.

Hard to see how UNC and NC State would be allowed (UNC system BOG) to split to different conferences. Similar situation in VA with UVA and VA Tech.

I’m no lawyer, but I would think that moves by the SEC, B1G, and B12 to take multiple ACC schools at the same time to circumvent the GOR would have a good chance of being tied up in court for a long while as the left behind schools sued claiming collusion.

The B1G and SEC have no reason to jeopardize the good thing they have going right now by getting mixed up with ACC schools before they are actually available.

Reactions: jonS
Follow the money with likes attracting likes -- that's the general criteria for conference expansion, with financials trumping the latter. Miami doesn't fit the mold of B10 schools -- it's small, private. Big Ten schools tend to be large, land grant institutions, with a focus graduate research, that pump out students like pregnant rabbits. You could fit the student body of Arkansas x 3 into PSU !!! Maybe's Miami's location sufficient to trump the other differences. I know they have some good grad research, esp. the health field. As time goes on, and the media contracts increase, fewer schools will bring enough value to be added to the P2. Maybe access to Florida is enough; probably.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Voice of Motown? I'm assuming that means Morgantown. WVU seems like they have the most twitter/blogger rumormongerers on the web for CFB or at least they do a good job of getting their names out there over all the other noise. Greg Swaim is also a rumor guy from a decade plus ago IIRC and he just throws crap on the wall too.

I mentioned this in the other PAC12 realignment thread. I wouldn't assume the B12 takes from the ACC, depending on how many teams the ACC ends up losing to the B10/SEC. WVU/UCF fit better geographically in the ACC and maybe even a Cincy. As long as the ACC doesn't get ransacked by the B10/SEC, they're probably on par with the B12 and fit better geographically to some schools. The ACC was the top tv revenue conference 20 plus years ago and they probably should be about 3rd if not for Swofford's poor management.

Temporary. They're aligned and will be reunited in the SEC in '25.
I know, but it wasn’t a forgone conclusion when A&M left. People said that would never happen because of what you said. And then it did.

What about Oklahoma and Oklahoma State?

And Cal/UCLA.

UVA and Virginia Tech weren’t joined at the hip until only recently.

Hate it.

Wish it stopped at 14 (at the most) for everyone.

Seems like the whole thing is going from a conference set up to a league one. ☹️
My dentist, a Purdue guy, hates that RU and UMd were added. Heck, he hated PSU being added too. Didn't give an opinion on Nebby and I didn't want to ask while he had a drill in mouth lol.

Time zones people, time zones. The B1G has plenty of content in the Eastern and Central time zones, they now have a solid foothold in the Pacific, something the SEC doesn't right now. The next arms race is likely to be acquiring more content in the western time zones to expand the "broadcast" day.

They're quoting Greg Swain, LOL. He's they guy who predicted FSU and ND to the Big 12 in 2012, and Arizona and ASU to the Big 12 a couple of years ago.

But he completely missed ND to the ACC for non-football, Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten, UCLA and USC to the Big Ten (which he said made as little sense as Rutgers/Maryland), and Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

The only thing you can count on with Greg Swain's realignment predictions, is if he says it, it is wrong. He is like Frank the Tank's moron cousin.

Rutgers should vote NO on any ACC school (as long as they would get in anyway) as a protest against the way the ACC attacked and eventually destroyed the Big East football conference.
With all due respect, Rutgers is in no position to vote ‘No’ on anyone considering how the Big 10 bailed us out. Amazing how quickly people forget just how close we were to being a mid major

With all due respect, Rutgers is in no position to vote ‘No’ on anyone considering how the Big 10 bailed us out. Amazing how quickly people forget just how close we were to being a mid major
but the market RU's in makes moving to mid major status just a hater's pipe dream
Rutgers was more close to being P-5 ACC program than a mid-major g-5

but the market RU's in makes moving to mid major status just a hater's pipe dream
Rutgers was more close to being P-5 ACC program than a mid-major g-5
Not the case at all. Market plays some role but not close to all. Heck UConn whose campus is less than an hour from ESPN’s main campus and has a basketball history most schools could only dream of can’t find a conference. Temple and Villanova from Philly, which is in a HELL of a lot bigger market than friggan State College Pa are mid majors, again, their basketball history compared to Penn states is laughably better, but mid major they stay.

Like I said, Rutgers is in no position to vote no on anyone after the big ten bailed us out. Dallas is the dominant market in Texas, but yet SMU is a mid major. Market only means so much

Reactions: bigmatt718

lol ok

Not the case at all. Market plays some role but not close to all. Heck UConn whose campus is less than an hour from ESPN’s main campus and has a basketball history most schools could only dream of can’t find a conference. Temple and Villanova from Philly, which is in a HELL of a lot bigger market than friggan State College Pa are mid majors, again, their basketball history compared to Penn states is laughably better, but mid major they stay.

Like I said, Rutgers is in no position to vote no on anyone after the big ten bailed us out. Dallas is the dominant market in Texas, but yet SMU is a mid major. Market only means so much
you're just going by the programs in the city but forgetting some programs outside of city limits are part of that area's coverage and control the market
MarketStateTV Households (2021–22)Expected Conference Fan Affiliations
1New YorkNew York7,452,620Big Ten
2Los AngelesCalifornia5,735,230Big Ten
3ChicagoIllinois3,471,560Big Ten
4PhiladelphiaPennsylvania2,997,360Big Ten
5Dallas-Fort WorthTexas2,962,520SEC, Big 12

Strategically, if the B1G is not looking at further West Coast Expansion it will have a longer-term problem. If the B1G cut off further West Coast expansion and I were the SEC, I would start making moves to bring in USC and UCLA in the next TV deal. Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma are are closer as travel partners than the closest current B1G team.

Hate it.

Wish it stopped at 14 (at the most) for everyone.

Seems like the whole thing is going from a conference set up to a league one. ☹️
Its the mini - NFL

iu

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet83
But everyone said this about Texas and A&M at first too.
Agreed. Also Oklahoma and Oklahoma St and UCLA and Cal-Berkeley. Its nice to think that states want to keep their flagships together, but in the end it means nothing. The money is pretty much the only thing that will matter.

Reactions: TRU2RU
My understanding is that undergrad academics are not the big factor in gaining AAU membership. Instead, it is research spending that matters and that mostly involves strong graduate and professional school programs. That is why Nebraska was kicked out and why Syracuse withdrew to spare itself the embarrassment of being kicked out. Miami is similar to SU in this regard. [snip]
This is an understatement. It's all about research -- nothing else.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I’m no lawyer, but I would think that moves by the SEC, B1G, and B12 to take multiple ACC schools at the same time to circumvent the GOR would have a good chance of being tied up in court for a long while as the left behind schools sued claiming collusion.

The B1G and SEC have no reason to jeopardize the good thing they have going right now by getting mixed up with ACC schools before they are actually available.
The only way any conference is going to go near a school subject to a GOR is if the school can buy its way out of the GOR or if (as I think is unlikely) a school can get a court to issue a declaratory judgment that the GOR is unenforceable. Otherwise the conference would be sued for "tortious interference with contract" and face the possibility of paying a lot in damages.

This report sounds like, at best, wishful thinking. No conference is going near an ACC team without some kind of deal to get that team out of the GOR or judicial invalidation of the GOR. In addition, the first priority for the Big Ten is to capture the Pacific time zone and find local competition for UCLA/USC.

The only way any conference is going to go near a school subject to a GOR is if the school can buy its way out of the GOR or if (as I think is unlikely) a school can get a court to issue a declaratory judgment that the GOR is unenforceable. Otherwise the conference would be sued for "tortious interference with contract" and face the possibility of paying a lot in damages.
The people talking about expansion by taking teams currently bound by a GOR don’t seem to get that none of these schools are important enough for the SEC or B1G to bother with the legal mess.

Unless one of them gets out on their own, those two conferences will wait until it is 3-4 years before the GOR runs out to make their move.

They're quoting Greg Swain, LOL. He's they guy who predicted FSU and ND to the Big 12 in 2012, and Arizona and ASU to the Big 12 a couple of years ago.

But he completely missed ND to the ACC for non-football, Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten, UCLA and USC to the Big Ten (which he said made as little sense as Rutgers/Maryland), and Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

The only thing you can count on with Greg Swain's realignment predictions, is if he says it, it is wrong. He is like Frank the Tank's moron cousin.
@Upstream has spoken.

I'm good. 👍

Miami to the Big is eventually happening. Then RU95 will apologize or hide

Rutgers should vote NO on any ACC school (as long as they would get in anyway) as a protest against the way the ACC attacked and eventually destroyed the Big East football conference.

Except the ACC gutting the old BE is what eventually got RU into the B10. Ha, ha, RU actually needs to thank the ACC. Ironic though that the ACC, guilty of some of the most egregious expansion, is now considered unstable. I do think their GOR protects them. It's doing what it was designed to do -- a life saving drug that stunts growth. They'll become the Gary Coleman of athletic conferences. Ha, ha, not a bad thing to see play out from the sidelines.

Last edited:
you're just going by the programs in the city but forgetting some programs outside of city limits are part of that area's coverage and control the market
MarketStateTV Households (2021–22)Expected Conference Fan Affiliations
1New YorkNew York7,452,620Big Ten
2Los AngelesCalifornia5,735,230Big Ten
3ChicagoIllinois3,471,560Big Ten
4PhiladelphiaPennsylvania2,997,360Big Ten
5Dallas-Fort WorthTexas2,962,520SEC, Big 12
Ok, how close is Austin to Dallas? 3-4 hours? Because Texas rules cfb down there and hardly anyone cares about SMU. State college is 2 hours from Philly.

Look I’m happy it worked out, but you gotta understand our position. We are in NO position to say no to anyone. TV deals only mean so much moving forward as well as everything is going to streaming. god knows we would all love to be in the position to talk shit and throw our weight around, but right now we have no weight to throw

Last edited:
I'm not talking, I'm offering you to put some coin where that big mouth of yours is. I've yet to be wrong on Big over 10yrs running so willing to bet on my source.

1k with a mod here?
Ummmm you do realize that the conference hasn’t changed in 10 years running so congrats on predicting nothing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT