ADVERTISEMENT

The demise of the ACC foretold...

Comcast is not “carrying” Netflix. They are merely making it easier to access (stream) Netflix. You still have to have a Netflix account and pay for the services.
You're right. But I suspect that Netflix is paying Comcast a pretty penny in exchange for Comcast making it easier, as you say, to access Netflix. It certainly makes it easier for neanderthals like me to access Netflix. We may see more such arrangements, and possibly they will keep cable alive in some form.

You're right. But I suspect that Netflix is paying Comcast a pretty penny in exchange for Comcast making it easier, as you say, to access Netflix. It certainly makes it easier for neanderthals like me to access Netflix. We may see more such arrangements, and possibly they will keep cable alive in some form.
Not so sure. Most smart tv’s have buttons on remote to access streaming services. Cable providers are doing the same thing. Comcast is still providing access to the streaming service via internet connectivity. If cable provider provides a “Netflix channel” within their line up it makes it easier for the customer to maintain 2 points of service, cable and internet versus just internet.

Not so sure. Most smart tv’s have buttons on remote to access streaming services. Cable providers are doing the same thing. Comcast is still providing access to the streaming service via internet connectivity. If cable provider provides a “Netflix channel” within their line up it makes it easier for the customer to maintain 2 points of service, cable and internet versus just internet.
Surely it's worth something to Netflix for the cable company to make life easier for the customer to access Netflix. Speaking as a neanderathal, the last thing I want to do is to worry about more than just the cable remote. My guess is that I'm not the only one. We'll see whether other streaming services follow the same model.

Reactions: NickRU714
TBH, I'm not sure ESPN or the potential collapse of cable are the biggest threats to the ACC. Right now the SEC has sixteen schools (once Texas and Oklahoma join) and the ACC has fourteen (considering that Notre Dame is not a member for football.) The SEC is a better property even taking into consideration the ACC's record of excellence in basketball. (I am ancient enough to remember fans coming down from the Northeast to see the ACC tournament -- this was in the days when only the tournament winner went to the NCAA.) So at least some ACC schools are going to want to join the SEC for a bigger revenue payout, and the SEC is going to be able to cherry-pick. (If I were the SEC, I'd certainly want UNC and FSU at least.) OTOH, the SEC is known as an outlaw conference, and not all ACC schools (not even all the most attractive ones) are going to want to join it without a lot of reform. Maybe the Big Ten will want some of the ACC schools but my guess is that the Big Ten is going to first want to grab more schools on the West Coast and anyway the ACC fan base would undoubtedly prefer to play other schools in the former Confederacy. It's a tough situation, but I think it's too early to say, to quote one poster, that the ACC is "fvcked." We're over ten years away from the end of the GOR and (as with the guy who promised the king to teach his horse to talk) a lot can happen in that time.

Last edited:
TBH, I'm not sure ESPN or the potential collapse of cable are the biggest threats to the ACC. Right now the SEC has sixteen schools (once Texas and Oklahoma join) and the ACC has fourteen (considering that Notre Dame is not a member for football.) The SEC is a better property even taking into consideration the ACC's record of excellence in basketball. (I am ancient enough to remember fans coming down from the Northeast to see the ACC tournament -- this was in the days when only the tournament winner went to the NCAA.) So at least some ACC schools are going to want to join the SEC for a bigger revenue payout, and the SEC is going to be able to cherry-pick. (If I were the SEC, I'd certainly want UNC and FSU at least.) OTOH, the SEC is known as an outlaw conference, and not all ACC schools (not even all the most attractive ones) are going to want to join it without a lot of reform. Maybe the Big Ten will want some of the ACC schools but my guess is that the Big Ten is going to first want to grab more schools on the West Coast and anyway the ACC fan base would undoubtedly prefer to play other schools in the former Confederacy. It's a tough situation, but I think it's too early to say, to quote one poster, that the ACC is "fvcked." We're over ten years away from the end of the GOR and (as with the guy who promised the king to teach his horse to talk) a lot can happen in that time.
Jim Delaney, going back to when Maryland & Rutgers were added, wanted to go into the SE first. His preference was North Carolina and Virginia. I believe the Big 10 still has a preference for the SE because of it being fertile areas for recruiting and other reasons.

The problem with the West Coast is the lack of passion in football. Some very good brands with excellent academic credentials. I would agree that the PAC 12 is prime for picking and the Big 10 should consolidate there before moving to the SE (mostly due to the GOR). But the Big 10 first wants to integrate USC & UCLA into the Big 10 and more importantly, not be responsible for the death of the PAC 12 like the ACC was for the Big East.

Jim Delaney, going back to when Maryland & Rutgers were added, wanted to go into the SE first. His preference was North Carolina and Virginia. I believe the Big 10 still has a preference for the SE because of it being fertile areas for recruiting and other reasons.

The problem with the West Coast is the lack of passion in football. Some very good brands with excellent academic credentials. I would agree that the PAC 12 is prime for picking and the Big 10 should consolidate there before moving to the SE (mostly due to the GOR). But the Big 10 first wants to integrate USC & UCLA into the Big 10 and more importantly, not be responsible for the death of the PAC 12 like the ACC was for the Big East.
That last sentence is a good point. The B1G doesn't want to be perceived as the villain in the situation of potentially killing the Pac 12. They likely will wait until the 4 Corner schools of Utah/Colorado/ASU/Arizona approach the Big 12 about joining which would be the deathblow to the Pac 12, freeing up the B1G to grab Oregon/Washington/Cal/Stanford without moral repercussion.

Thanks for your very interesting post. You make some really excellent points here. I don't know if I'd say there's a lack of passion in college football on the West Coast; I've lived both places and there's a lot more there than in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic., yet we and Maryland are in the Big Ten. It is, though, true that there's more -- much more -- passion for college football in the Southeast than in either place, and so I can understand the Big Ten wanting to be there.

I understand your point about wanting to integrate UCLA and USC first. But I don't think there's a way to integrate them without taking more Pacific Coast schools. It's not going to work in the long run for UCLA and USC teams to travel two or three time zones east for almost half of its games or competitions -- especially for non-revenue sports but even for football/basketball. I'm sure you've traveled and learned that jet lag is much worse flying east than west, and so UCLA/USC are going to be at a disadvantage.

If the ACC didn't care about ruining the Big East, then will the Big Ten care about ruining the Pac-12? Perhaps. I don't think it will be necessary for the Big Ten to wait until the four non-Pacific Coast schools drop out of the Pac12 -- I think it will be enough for the Pac12 to get a not-very-good TV deal, in which case Washington and Oregon, at least, will be begging the Big Ten to take them. The onus for destroying the Pac-12 will be on Pac-12 schools that want to jump rather than on the Big Ten for taking them.

As I've said, it's really speculative what will happen to the ACC. My guess is that UNC would be the #1 target for the Big Ten. I don't know if the second would be Virginia, as you suggest. And I don't know if UNC would be eager to leave behind its traditional rivals in the South.

Surely it's worth something to Netflix for the cable company to make life easier for the customer to access Netflix. Speaking as a neanderathal, the last thing I want to do is to worry about more than just the cable remote. My guess is that I'm not the only one. We'll see whether other streaming services follow the same model.

Multiple remotes?
Just use your phone you caveman.
😉😉
I can control the Samsung Smart Device app to work the TV (and get to the Netflix/Disney+ apps) or use the Xfinity App to change channels and channel surf.

On a serious note - I couldn't find the Xfinity remote the other day so I did just use my phone. It was pretty convenient.

Multiple remotes?
Just use your phone you caveman.
😉😉
I can control the Samsung Smart Device app to work the TV (and get to the Netflix/Disney+ apps) or use the Xfinity App to change channels and channel surf.

On a serious note - I couldn't find the Xfinity remote the other day so I did just use my phone. It was pretty convenient.
Phone?? Yes, I'm a caveman. I resist using phone apps whenever possible for vision reasons. I don't think I'm the only person like that.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Thanks for your very interesting post. You make some really excellent points here. I don't know if I'd say there's a lack of passion in college football on the West Coast; I've lived both places and there's a lot more there than in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic., yet we and Maryland are in the Big Ten. It is, though, true that there's more -- much more -- passion for college football in the Southeast than in either place, and so I can understand the Big Ten wanting to be there.

I understand your point about wanting to integrate UCLA and USC first. But I don't think there's a way to integrate them without taking more Pacific Coast schools. It's not going to work in the long run for UCLA and USC teams to travel two or three time zones east for almost half of its games or competitions -- especially for non-revenue sports but even for football/basketball. I'm sure you've traveled and learned that jet lag is much worse flying east than west, and so UCLA/USC are going to be at a disadvantage.

If the ACC didn't care about ruining the Big East, then will the Big Ten care about ruining the Pac-12? Perhaps. I don't think it will be necessary for the Big Ten to wait until the four non-Pacific Coast schools drop out of the Pac12 -- I think it will be enough for the Pac12 to get a not-very-good TV deal, in which case Washington and Oregon, at least, will be begging the Big Ten to take them. The onus for destroying the Pac-12 will be on Pac-12 schools that want to jump rather than on the Big Ten for taking them.

As I've said, it's really speculative what will happen to the ACC. My guess is that UNC would be the #1 target for the Big Ten. I don't know if the second would be Virginia, as you suggest. And I don't know if UNC would be eager to leave behind its traditional rivals in the South.
First, just my take from being here (Ohio State alum/fan), not really knowing the ACC (you more so being in Maryland). The perception is that UNC would want to be with long time rival Virginia (maybe Duke as well), thus why many believe Virginia is required to get UNC. Personally, I can see UNC & Virginia going either way. The advantage of the Big 10 is for the academics and their (UNC & UVA) olympic sports. If they go SEC, their olympic sports will suffer (perception).

I will have to do some digging on USC & UCLA. The president of USC made comments on their student athletics and taking care of them. She said something along the lines they had talked to the Big 10 about that. Kind of indicates further measures will be taken (expansion).

Wonder if expansion happens after this year with the addition of other teams for 2024. No news on schedules, making one question what is happening or not happening.

First, just my take from being here (Ohio State alum/fan), not really knowing the ACC (you more so being in Maryland). The perception is that UNC would want to be with long time rival Virginia (maybe Duke as well), thus why many believe Virginia is required to get UNC. Personally, I can see UNC & Virginia going either way. The advantage of the Big 10 is for the academics and their (UNC & UVA) olympic sports. If they go SEC, their olympic sports will suffer (perception).

I will have to do some digging on USC & UCLA. The president of USC made comments on their student athletics and taking care of them. She said something along the lines they had talked to the Big 10 about that. Kind of indicates further measures will be taken (expansion).

Wonder if expansion happens after this year with the addition of other teams for 2024. No news on schedules, making one question what is happening or not happening.
I've lived in Maryland (as well as California) but have long been in the Garden State. I've also been in NC, and I think you're right that UNC would want to be with Duke and U.Va. UNC Is certainly not going to come alone.

The UCLA athletic director assured the UC Regents that a lot of money was going to be spent to help athletes deal with so much travel. But I agree that expansion is going to happen.

I expect that the Pac-12 media negotiations, which are now supposed to conclude in the spring, will trigger a desire for ambition.

Phone?? Yes, I'm a caveman. I resist using phone apps whenever possible for vision reasons. I don't think I'm the only person like that.

Your point about Streamers/Apps needing cable is a good one.

Only smart TVs are able to cut out cable (still need internet though).

For a while Xfinity didn't have Disney+ available. So the TV in the kids room couldn't play Disney+. They needed to go in the living room and watch there on the smart tv.

Or the TV in our bedroom. My wife can only watch Netflix through Xfinity because its just a regular TV.

I would imagine there are a lot mom non-smart TVs than smart TVs.

Your point about Streamers/Apps needing cable is a good one.

Only smart TVs are able to cut out cable (still need internet though).

For a while Xfinity didn't have Disney+ available. So the TV in the kids room couldn't play Disney+. They needed to go in the living room and watch there on the smart tv.

Or the TV in our bedroom. My wife can only watch Netflix through Xfinity because its just a regular TV.

I would imagine there are a lot mom non-smart TVs than smart TVs.
For me, the problem is more general. I hate *anything* that requires me to use the cellphone. So far as I'm concerned, cellphones should exist just for texting and calling. Yes, I'm a caveman.

I've lived in Maryland (as well as California) but have long been in the Garden State. I've also been in NC, and I think you're right that UNC would want to be with Duke and U.Va. UNC Is certainly not going to come alone.

The UCLA athletic director assured the UC Regents that a lot of money was going to be spent to help athletes deal with so much travel. But I agree that expansion is going to happen.

I expect that the Pac-12 media negotiations, which are now supposed to conclude in the spring, will trigger a desire for ambition.
Found what I was looking for. I may be reading more into it, then what is there.

In analyzing a move to the Big Ten, we thoughtfully considered the prospect of additional travel for our student-athletes. We are committed to devoting the necessary resources to ensure our student-athletes can continue to thrive in their coursework with minimal travel disruption. We know the Big Ten shares our commitment to prioritizing student-athletes’ well-being and academic demands, and we are fortunate we can spend the next two years working with the conference on travel and scheduling plans.

We are especially pleased that our crosstown rival, UCLA, will join us in the Big Ten in 2024. While we are fierce competitors on the field, we have a rich tradition of collaboration that we are excited to continue. As we begin to plan for our move, please know we will do everything we can to preserve the wonderful traditions and rivalries we have built in the Pac-12 that our students, alumni and fans have enjoyed for decades.

Found what I was looking for. I may be reading more into it, then what is there.

In analyzing a move to the Big Ten, we thoughtfully considered the prospect of additional travel for our student-athletes. We are committed to devoting the necessary resources to ensure our student-athletes can continue to thrive in their coursework with minimal travel disruption. We know the Big Ten shares our commitment to prioritizing student-athletes’ well-being and academic demands, and we are fortunate we can spend the next two years working with the conference on travel and scheduling plans.

We are especially pleased that our crosstown rival, UCLA, will join us in the Big Ten in 2024. While we are fierce competitors on the field, we have a rich tradition of collaboration that we are excited to continue. As we begin to plan for our move, please know we will do everything we can to preserve the wonderful traditions and rivalries we have built in the Pac-12 that our students, alumni and fans have enjoyed for decades.
You might be, but you might not. I'm sure USC and UCLA will do everything they can to get more Pacific Coast teams into the Big Ten. Whether they succeed is another matter.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT