AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Did we start:

6'1" 235
6'1" 242
5'10" 205

???? My Lord we have GOT to get bigger (and there are some in the fold now...but ONLY 2 guys over 6'1" in Margolis and Taylor at 6'3" each) at this spot to be competitive in the B1G.

They played okay - well okay against the run anyway - but this isn't a commentary on their play Friday night. Thanks.

The freshmen are coming hurrah hurrah.Where is Manning another in our line of Colonia linebackers?

We do need to get bigger. But while LB play was a little bit of a mixed bag against Washington, that position group actually did better than I feared, aided somewhat by our DL which played far better than I expected.

I think our secondary is looking pretty good. The weakest group is the LBs so no doubt opponents are going to target our LBs in the passing game. From that standpoint, being smaller might help us out some, once the players get a little better in pass coverage.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
The days of 250 lbs LB is over. You need guys who can cover and run, even Alabama is getting smaller and faster. Now I'm not saying our guys are big enough because 5'10" 205 is small but the other 2 are fine.

Yes, if you have those 2 on the outside, with a BIG boy in the middle, I agree...but there are plenty of large LB's in the B1G who get the job done in every way, shape, and form.

I honestly thought we were in some sort of package, maybe a dime(?), in which there was only 1 LB on the field so I paused the video, checked the #'s, and was stunned to see they were our 3 starters.

Did we start:

6'1" 235
6'1" 242
5'10" 205

???? My Lord we have GOT to get bigger (and there are some in the fold now...but ONLY 2 guys over 6'1" in Margolis and Taylor at 6'3" each) at this spot to be competitive in the B1G.

They played okay - well okay against the run anyway - but this isn't a commentary on their play Friday night. Thanks.
We do need to get bigger. But while LB play was a little bit of a mixed bag against Washington, that position group actually did better than I feared, aided somewhat by our DL which played far better than I expected.

I think our secondary is looking pretty good. The weakest group is the LBs so no doubt opponents are going to target our LBs in the passing game. From that standpoint, being smaller might help us out some, once the players get a little better in pass coverage.
I'm not sure why you think Rutgers needs to get bigger at LB. The average size of a LB at a power 5 school is 6'1 226. Here are the height and weight of the starting LB/hybird safety in the B1G East:

PSU: Bowen 6'1 226, Cabinba 6'1 234, & Farmer 6'1 237

OSU: Worley 6'2 230, & Baker 6'1 225. OSU play more of a true nickel

IU: Covington 6'2 230, Scales 6'0 230, & Ball 6'0 210

MSU: Dowell 6'1 222, Bachie 6'2 233, & Frey 6'2 238

Maryland: Carter 6'0 228, Cockerille 6'2 235. UMd, like OSU play more of a true nickel

UM: Hudson 6'0 205, Bush 5'11 222, & Gill 6'2 220

I'm not sure why you think Rutgers needs to get bigger at LB. The average size of a LB at a power 5 school is 6'1 226. Here are the height and weight of the starting LB/hybird safety in the B1G East:

Maryland: Carter 6'0 228, Cockerille 6'2 235. UMd, like OSU play more of a true nickel

Huh. So I guess we don't need to get bigger. I thought 245 to 250 was more typical.

Huh. So I guess we don't need to get bigger. I thought 245 to 250 was more typical.
I think people confuse NFL size LB with what college LB should be. The difference is NFL are freaks who have speed to go along with their size (250+ aka Ray Lewis). If anyone recall Lewis was no more than 225 at the most (senior year) when he was at Miami.You'll never find enough freakish LB on the college level to be the size AreYouNUTS wish for.

Playing LB in today's college game is all about making plays in space. 250 LB run stuffing linebackers have gone the way of the fullback and the tight end. Hardly anyone lines up in the I formation and pounds it between the tackles all game. Not even Alabama does that anymore.

Last edited:
Did we start:

6'1" 235
6'1" 242
5'10" 205

This. And 5'10 205 in the Sam, which is a safety/LB hybrid. That's Ross-Douglas. Look up what Darron Lee did in Ohio State's defense. That's what he want Ross-Douglas to emulate. Lee converted from safety to LB when he arrived at Columbus.

One of the LBs was out of position all game. And it wasn't the smallest guy.

Reactions: satnom

Doug where did you get those averages from? Just curious, thanks! Also, I don't know man, our guys come out to 6' 227 pounds but if you watch on TV, just give them the eye test, they look smaller than that when they're on the field. I was shocked watching the game on replay, to be honest.

If I'm wrong, great, but at least I'm not the only one who noticed so thank God for that ha ha Ha!

Did we start:

6'1" 235
6'1" 242
5'10" 205

Need to get bigger and BETTER

Reactions: MikeR0102
Did we start:

6'1" 235
6'1" 242
5'10" 205

Hmm, PSU-
Only 3 kids over 6'1"
Screenshot-2017-08-29-at-12.14.28-PM_yh0ljn.png

MSU, 3 kids over 6'1"

Doug where did you get those averages from? Just curious, thanks! Also, I don't know man, our guys come out to 6' 227 pounds but if you watch on TV, just give them the eye test, they look smaller than that when they're on the field. I was shocked watching the game on replay, to be honest.

If I'm wrong, great, but at least I'm not the only one who noticed so thank God for that ha ha Ha!
I went to the website of each team. I looked up the starters and what their size were. Also, I googled the info for average size of a power 5 LB. It was some sight associated with being ncaa.org.

[banana][banana]
Hmm, PSU-
Only 3 kids over 6'1"
Screenshot-2017-08-29-at-12.14.28-PM_yh0ljn.png

MSU, 3 kids over 6'1"

Thanks for letting us all know that they each have one more guy then we have over 6'1"!

Again, not putting you guys down for their play, that's not what this is about, on TV they look smaller than most of the linebacker units I watched in the 15-20 other games I watch this weekend. Others here feel the same way I do so, again, at least I know I'm not completely off my rocker with this one! Hey, maybe Doug and others above are correct, and linebackers are getting smaller again, just pointing something out that's all.

I went to the website of each team. I looked up the starters and what their size were. Also, I googled the info for average size of a power 5 LB. It was some sight associated with being ncaa.org.

Damn Doug I thought I had time on my hands! Just kidding buddy thanks a lot!

Playing LB in today's college game is all about making plays in space. 250 LB run stuffing linebackers have gone the way of the fullback and the tight end. Hardly anyone lines up in the I formation and pounds it between the tackles all game. Not even Alabama does that anymore.

Players are also rotated more (including OL). Some teams have 3 LBs rotating OLB spot. Auburn rotates in WRs so that 3 different guys can go long in a row to gas the DBs. Now the DBs rotate too. Rotation is a major thing now (I mean aside from the usual 3rd down passing stuff). It would be hard to go all season with same three lighter LBs playing most of games. You have to have good 2s. Size wise I also like the natural 225 Lb guys vs the guys who added 25 lbs in the gym.

Reactions: ruready07
Nuts I realize we're getting old but we had this exact same discussion last year. Lol

[banana][banana]

Thanks for letting us all know that they each have one more guy then we have over 6'1"!

Again, not putting you guys down for their play, that's not what this is about, on TV they look smaller than most of the linebacker units I watched in the 15-20 other games I watch this weekend. Others here feel the same way I do so, again, at least I know I'm not completely off my rocker with this one! Hey, maybe Doug and others above are correct, and linebackers are getting smaller again, just pointing something out that's all.

Did you watch the RU game on a smaller screen TV? That could be it.
And since you asked about the rocker thing, have you considered AMINUTS as a screen name? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do NOT care about anything other than getting us players like Stewart, Stowe, Brackett, and Thompson back there...we need players who can own the mid-field. Tough and smart SOBs

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Didn't our #15 get burned for 2 pass TD's by the Wash. RB's?
I don't care how big they are, but cover !!!

Didn't our #15 get burned for 2 pass TD's by the Wash. RB's?
I don't care how big they are, but cover !!!
Second TD was a great play call. Wheel route out of the backfield is very tough for a LB to cover. Some people call it a jerk route. That's why teams have tried to get LBs who faster and better in coverage. Still a pretty lethal play call in the right situation.

First one was a blown assignment. He locked on to the QB's eyes. Completely forgot about the RB who ran to the flat for an easy TD.

it appears Rutgers fans have an issue with size of their units... It's not the size of the oar but how you row the boat...
When Pettis got into the 2nd level he was too quick for our LBs. He did what Ray Rice used to do...1 juke and gone. But Wash. only had 84 yards rushing and were 3-11 on 3rd down. 38 to 22 min in possession for RU. We gave up 2 INTs and were gassing on the DL in the Q3 and Q4. We need depth on the DL more than we need bigger LBs.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
As others have stated, our issue at LB is talent not size. We struck out during Flood's tenure on the prime talent and are suffering the consequences. Looks like we have some good ones in the freshmen though, so there's that!

The days of 250 lbs LB is over. You need guys who can cover and run, even Alabama is getting smaller and faster. Now I'm not saying our guys are big enough because 5'10" 205 is small but the other 2 are fine.

Our linebackers aren't small. The only one who is tiny is Ross Douglas. Maddox-Williams being out hurts a lot. Tyreek was up to 230. 6'1 230 is perfect size for a linebacker. 250 lb. Bryan Cox linebackers are done.

Reactions: RickB113
Our linebackers aren't small. The only one who is tiny is Ross Douglas. Maddox-Williams being out hurts a lot. Tyreek was up to 230. 6'1 230 is perfect size for a linebacker. 250 lb. Bryan Cox linebackers are done.

Obviously any team wants LBs with size and speed.
Missing Maddox-Williams hurts. Ross Douglas should not be playing as an LB in the B1G.
Time to see if Fogg or Fatukasi can step in.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
If they can run sub 4.7 40's I have no problem with 235 lb. LBs.

When Pettis got into the 2nd level he was too quick for our LBs. He did what Ray Rice used to do...1 juke and gone. But Wash. only had 84 yards rushing and were 3-11 on 3rd down. 38 to 22 min in possession for RU. We gave up 2 INTs and were gassing on the DL in the Q3 and Q4. We need depth on the DL more than we need bigger LBs.
Was that not due mostly to Washington speeding up tempo when they had us on our heals, and not letting us rotate guys through?

When you are on the smaller size you might need to react more quickly to get into run-stop mode... I think this might be the reason that the LBs failed to cover the RB a couple times and the TE at least once. Of course, I have no idea who had what assignment on what play, but, in general, RBs and TE coverage are generally LBs or possibly a safety. With Washington in love with teh long ball.. I'd imagine it was LBs with safeties in deep help.

Was that not due mostly to Washington speeding up tempo when they had us on our heals, and not letting us rotate guys through?
I would think so.. at the time I said that this was what I had expected to see fro UW on their first possession. It really seemed to me like UW was trying to NOT show anything to future opponents.. then at halftime they realized they had to.

I would think so.. at the time I said that this was what I had expected to see fro UW on their first possession. It really seemed to me like UW was trying to NOT show anything to future opponents.. then at halftime they realized they had to.
I thought it was more along the lines of, by getting their offense off the field we did not give them the opportunity to go no huddle against a tired D. But once they got those 3rd qtr drives going the opportunity then presented itself. Especially once they got deeper in our zone, and the line of scrimmage became further away from our bench.

They changed tempo mid drive and executed really well in that regard.

So what I saw was more situational fatigue more so then our defense getting wore down due to being over matched or a lack of depth.

Some people will always and continue to say Rutgers linebackers are too small.....even if you post the height and weight of every B1G or P5 teams linebackers right here in this thread to clearly show they are comparable.

Margolis and Ross-Douglass split time, with Douglass playing when he could help cover guys in space in certain situations.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Some of you refuse to change with the game. Even Nick Saban change with the times, so why can't some of you? The changes that have occurred on offense has forced defenses to rethink the supersize linebackers. As soon as some of you realize that, then you can grasp this concept of a DB acting as a hybrid linebacker. The product that you see on the field will make more sense.

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT