ADVERTISEMENT

The RAC and Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
please produce ONE CONTROLLED study on blue thin masks, thats without a mannequin or not done in a lab or done with the mask fitted properly on the face, with a proper handling and disposal

mind you we are not talking about N95s

its funny because you interjecting morality into this discussion and then when called on it, crickets.

I get it masking is your god. Ive heard and seen enough contradictory statements from our leading medical so called experts and our politicians and seen their actions in private for me to determine its theater without the right proper fitted mask.

If you are vaccinated and believe in its effectiveness and by the way I am, then you are not going to get hospitalized right? You can live in fear or live your life. I am not telling you what to choose, do not tell me what to do.

My gym has been open for over a year now, no one wears masks, there were a handful of cases in the winter, there have been no cases since we all took off the masks back in May. Here we spend 1-2 hours in close contact breathing heavily and touching everything.

Lets note we just saw the President last night without a mask hugging and kissing people and in close contact with a crowd of strangers in a dugout. When you sit back and observe whats going on and make notations and ask questions to me its pretty obvious what is going on. I am fine with my stance on this.

Bravo Bac....keep dodging. This isn't hard. I will ask you again. Please explain what is incorrect about my mask, distancing and exposure time effects on viral load and transmissibilty.

I know you understand the question, and why you won't answer it. Because you can't. You can't refute that wearing a mask reduces virus transmission.

I'll let it go when you stop posting your kindergarten knowledge in this thread.
So why is a microbiologist I know telling me cloth masks help only minimally?

Why not tell people the truth and make sure they know that a properly fitted surgical mask or properly fitted N95 is really the way to go to have good protection?

If you are wearing a properly fitted N95, WTF would you care if someone next to you is maskless?

Dio....I am not debating degree. Sure, some masks are more effective than others. The cheap blue ones, and worse apparently gaiters offer less of a barrier especially during shouting, prolonged exposure, etc.

But every extra bit of precaution may make a difference to someone else's health. It is such a simple thing to understand. Sneeze into a tissue or mask and it will become wet. Some virus will pass through, but some virus in the sneeze liquid will not.

I would argue that more virus gets blocked by even the cheap masks than less in sneezes, but that would be just my guess. But it is not a guess that some virus does, it is a physical fact, and that is the point.

Not wearing one may affect whether others get Covid.

Last edited:
Won't be a pleasant environment anyway (mask or no mask) with people coughing, sniffling, and blowing their noses all while shouting in the close confines of the RAC during winter. Might as well watch from comfort of home on big screen. But to each their own. Enjoy!

Dio....I am not debating degree. Sure, some masks are more effective than others. The cheap blue ones, and worse apparently gaiters offer less of a barrier especially during shouting, prolonged exposure, etc.

But every extra bit of precaution may make a difference to someone else's health. It is such a simple thing to understand. Sneeze into a tissue or mask and it will become wet. Some virus will pass through, but some virus in the sneeze liquid will not.

I would argue that more virus gets blocked by even the cheap masks than less in sneezes, but that would be just my guess. But it is not a guess that some virus does, it is a physical fact, and that is the point.

Not wearing one may affect whether others get Covid.
Yes,

I agree that there is a minimal amount of protection a cloth mask, blue mask and gaiters give. It is logical that when you sneeze or talk, the mask will stop some of the virus from getting out. But the government should tell people about the minimal protection they get from these masks. They should let citizens know that if they want very good protection, they should wear a N95 that is properly fitted. And after doing that they should let citizens decide on their own if they want to wear a mask or not.

At my full time job, I have to wear a mask whenever I leave my office. At my part time bartending job, I am not required to wear a mask.

Yes,

I agree that there is a minimal amount of protection a cloth mask, blue mask and gaiters give. It is logical that when you sneeze or talk, the mask will stop some of the virus from getting out. But the government should tell people about the minimal protection they get from these masks. They should let citizens know that if they want very good protection, they should wear a N95 that is properly fitted. And after doing that they should let citizens decide on their own if they want to wear a mask or not.

At my full time job, I have to wear a mask whenever I leave my office. At my part time bartending job, I am not required to wear a mask.
Not sure what news you watch or what social media you’re on but I feel like that’s been very clear for a year plus now.

Reactions: fsg2
Rememeber the "loud music" thread where everyone said

"Old people pay for the program. The school should consider and prioritize the elder fans when making decisions."

Does that apply to the RAC as well? Mandate masks to benefit the "high-risk" elderly fans who pay for the program?
Well, we should avoid killing them.

Reactions: NickRU714
Like many decisions my community or government make, I might have done things differently. But not being a self-important scofflaw that can't fathom the possibility that I might be wrong about something, I obey the laws and rules.

Reactions: fsg2
Dio...Fair enough. But I'm not getting into governing, laws, etc. or even the degree to which masks help. I am only stating that masks help. And along with other measures, transmission is further reduced.

That's Point #1. Masks do help. Fact. You agree.

Point #2 : it follows that choosing not to wear one may potentially cause illness in another, and such uncaring disregard is selfish. Whatever one's politics, people like Bac should own the selfishness rather than deflect by suggesting masks don't help.

If you don't give a sh*t about others enough to wear a mask, own it. Excuses are pathetic and embarrassing.

Accept or reject, but don’t disregard

Do face masks work? Here are 49 scientific studies that explain why they do | KXAN Austin

A June 2020 study in medical journal The Lancet reviewed 172 other studies from 16 countries and found that while different masks offer different effectiveness, masks overall result in a “large reduction in risk of infection.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavir...-scientific-studies-that-explain-why-they-do/

My opinion is if someone is vaccinated and maskless , being close to them should not be feared.
People like the President usaly go to venues that demand mask wearing for the un-vaccinateed but vaxed people are not forced to wear one.
Mawny times you see a vaxed person maskless and the wrong idea is taken if a powerful mask supporter is close to them.
Where they were at was probably a venue that demanded proof of vax or made the unvaxed person show proof of a negative test before entering.

Last edited:
Dio...Fair enough. But I'm not getting into governing, laws, etc. or even the degree to which masks help. I am only stating that masks help. And along with other measures, transmission is further reduced.

That's Point #1. Masks do help. Fact. You agree.

Point #2 : it follows that choosing not to wear one may potentially cause illness in another, and such uncaring disregard is selfish. Whatever one's politics, people like Bac should own the selfishness rather than deflect by suggesting masks don't help.

If you don't give a sh*t about others enough to wear a mask, own it. Excuses are pathetic and embarrassing.

Oh i own it.

I feel fine with where I stand, what I have done the past 18 months and how I approach Covid

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Not sure what news you watch or what social media you’re on but I feel like that’s been very clear for a year plus now.
Really,

Then why do most of the elderly people I see who are most vulnerable to getting very sick from Covid wearing cloth masks? Shouldn't their doctors and the government be telling them to wear better masks?

Really,

Then why do most of the elderly people I see who are most vulnerable to getting very sick from Covid wearing cloth masks? Shouldn't their doctors and the government be telling them to wear better masks?
they should, but the availability might not be there because of the supply demand of health care workers along with first responders needs to be supplied.

they should, but the availability might not be there because of the supply demand of health care workers along with first responders needs to be supplied.
The government has had over 1.5 years to rectify that problem. They show zero interest in doing that.

The overwhelming majority of people I speak to in Ocean County are mentally done with masks. The overwhelming majority of teachers and parents of children who go to our schools are tired of the mask requirements.

Do face masks work? Here are 49 scientific studies that explain why they do | KXAN Austin

A June 2020 study in medical journal The Lancet reviewed 172 other studies from 16 countries and found that while different masks offer different effectiveness, masks overall result in a “large reduction in risk of infection.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavir...-scientific-studies-that-explain-why-they-do/

My opinion is if someone is vaccinated and maskless , being close to them should not be feared.
People like the President usaly go to venues that demand mask wearing for the un-vaccinateed but vaxed people are not forced to wear one.
Mawny times you see a vaxed person maskless and the wrong idea is taken if a powerful mask supporter is close to them.
Where they were at was probably a venue that demanded proof of vax or made the unvaxed person show proof of a negative test before entering.
"Risk Reduction" seems to be a concept that some here don't want to acknowledge. Instead they continue to make definitive statements..."Masks don't work". Risk Reduction also applies to the quality of mask, single layer, double layer, thin, thick, medical grade, etc.

I would 100% support vaccinated only allowed into indoor Rutgers events. Getting in would be a nightmare but I have a bad feel that once the NE starts going inside because of weather and we have people thinking they have more knowledge on the subject then people who have studied this their whole life we will have a rising rate in NJ.

Worst case will be no fans again and I think if we see spikes we will once again be watching on TV.

The government has had over 1.5 years to rectify that problem. They show zero interest in doing that.

The overwhelming majority of people I speak to in Ocean County are mentally done with masks. The overwhelming majority of teachers and parents of children who go to our schools are tired of the mask requirements.
Most people are tired of the mask requirement.
Many feel like the need will never end, but for the sake of others keep wearing masks
in the hope of controlling the spread until the VAX is better accepted and like the smallpox and polio vax did to those outbreaks , stop the virus so mask wearing isn't needed to protect those around you and you from their possible infection

When I'm around those I know are vaccinated, no mask.
If they are not vaxed mask for all required or I try to stay from that place.
Definitely don't allow maskless unvaxed person in my house because of my wife's health
and tell anyone who knows us that is unvaxed and maskless when they come to door: I don't appreciate their inconsideration, because they know my wife's health issues make her a target for easily being infected.. So she needs to be totally protected even those she received the vax.
People fail to realize vaxed people can still catch it from others, just that the effect of the virus is not as bad as an unvaxed person gets.

Caring about others seems to be alright if it doesn't inconvenience you, once you are inconvenienced, caring is too hard and there are always excuses to find defending your selflessness.

Last edited:
The other day as I was exiting a grocery store this young man maybe twenty? gets out of his car without a shirt on and as he walks towards the entrance he puts his shirt on because you are not allowed in stores without shirt and shoes but he does not put a mask on, think about that every time you see a person in the store without a mask but they have a shirt and shoes on I guess making a person wear a mask is against their freedom but telling someone where they may or may not wear a shirt or shoes does not violate their freedom.
Yes a person's freedom not to wear a mask is so important people will invade the Capitol, they carry on about their freedoms but when most are given a choice to get the shot or have to undergo the agony of getting tested on their own time once a week all that freedom stuff usually goes out the window and most get the shot.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Bac…You own not caring about others. Nice. Says a lot about you.

Nope. I make my decisions in life based on alot of factors and research and observations of others including actions of political figures

Everyone makes their own risk assessment. For some they dont ever go out.

Unless you are wearing an N95 everywhere you go and im almost certain you don't you are hypocritical fraud. But feel good about what you do if it makes you feel morally superior. I won't stop you.

Stay home, stay home because if you truly cared about others....

"Risk Reduction" seems to be a concept that some here don't want to acknowledge. Instead they continue to make definitive statements..."Masks don't work". Risk Reduction also applies to the quality of mask, single layer, double layer, thin, thick, medical grade, etc.

Everyone has their own risk reduction..ask Mayor London Breed. Her interview spoke volumes

Let everyone decide theirs

Last edited:
Nope. I make my decisions in life based on alot of factors and research and observations of others including actions of political figures

Everyone makes their own risk assessment. For some they dont ever go out.

Unless you are wearing an N95 everywhere you go and im almost certain you don't you are hypocritical fraud. But feel good about what you do if it makes you feel morally superior. I won't stop you.

Stay home, stay home because if you truly cared about others....
good idea bac, all those that won't wear masks are free to stay home .

Everyone has their own risk reduction..ask Mayor London Breed. Her interview spoke volumes

Let everyone decided theirs

(This might not be breed related, but it's mask related) 😇​

As mandates grow, Trump tweets photo of himself in mask, now calling it 'patriotic'​

Experts says masks are key to slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus.
ByLibby Cathey ABC News
July 20, 2020,
>President Donald Trump on Monday tweeted a photo of himself wearing a mask, saying, "many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can't socially distance" and "There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President."<
Trump_Mask_White_House_hpMain_20200712-045831_16x9_992.jpg

You should be a little bit more vigilant in your use of the term “scientific” studies. I am not an expert like my friend the professor. But I did take research methods 101 in school. First, many of the studies are actually surveys, so the same studies pop up in more than one. And then, the studies themselves are weak. For example, take the USS Theodore Roosevelt study, the one that seems to pop up in the most places. Take a minute to read it, and you will see that they used “convenience sampling,“ not scientific random sampling. Now I don’t have the specialized training to sniff out the more nuanced flaws. But this should illustrate the point; qualified persons who dispute your conclusion that a significant connection has been made between mask wearing and actual COVID-19 spread are not “ disregarding“ the science, they are evaluating it.

Last edited:

As mandates grow, Trump tweets photo of himself in mask, now calling it 'patriotic'​

ByLibby Cathey ABC News
July 20, 2020,
>President Donald Trump on Monday tweeted a photo of himself wearing a mask, saying, "many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can't socially distance" and "There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President."<

Move on and grow up

good idea bac, all those that won't wear masks are free to stay home .
Why? did what was asked to do. All three shots. 98 percent not good enough? You folks that want to eliminate all risks? Fine. Go back to no fans.

Move on and grow up
you bring up a politician's hypocrisy , I brought up a politician talking about wearing a mask. and showing him wearing one
Just because the Mayor of San Francisco wouldn't own up to her mistake at a restaurant
doesn't prove your point about masks not working.
Just shows people make mistakes and refuse to own up to it.
So no moving on for me, but maybe you shouldn't feel so offended when someone points out something that tends to refute your point.

The mature way of looking at what Mayor Breed did is, she put herself in a foolish position because of her action and since mask wearing at venues that serve food and beverages are to be enforced, people like the Mayor \need top step up and admit they made a mistake when they do something against the mandate they support.
Because when they make a mistake like she did and don't own up to that mistake, it gives the anti mask crowd ammunition to claim mandates are of no use.

The truth is : mask mandates at places that serve food and drink are ineffective and the best way to mandate health safety in venues like that are to make everyone who enter show proof of vaccination or a recent negative result of a covid 19 test.

you bring up a politician's hypocrisy , I brought up a politician talking about wearing a mask. and showing him wearing one
Just because the Mayor of San Francisco wouldn't own up to her mistake at a restaurant
doesn't prove your point about masks not working.
Just shows people make mistakes and refuse to own up to it.
So no moving on for me, but maybe you shouldn't feel so offended when someone points out something that tends to refute your point.

The mature way of looking at what Mayor Breed did is, she put herself in a foolish position because of her action and since mask wearing at venues that serve food and beverages are to be enforced, people like the Mayor \need top step up and admit they made a mistake when they do something against the mandate they support.
Because when they make a mistake like she did and don't own up to that mistake, it gives the anti mask crowd ammunition to claim mandates are of no use.

The truth is : mask mandates at places that serve food and drink are ineffective and the best way to mandate health safety in venues like that are to make everyone who enter show proof of vaccination or a recent negative result of a covid 19 test.

you are bringing up a former president from 15 months ago. I am bringing up a current mayor who put an indoor mask mandate on her consitituents and then basically did an interview saying with a wink and nod that basically its bs. I can bring up several other politicians as examples if you want me to.

you are living in some bizarro world where your goal is zero covid, restaurants are quite safe, just because you live in fear that should not effect others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

ByLibby Cathey ABC News
July 20, 2020,
TDS

you are bringing up a former president from 15 years ago. I am bringing up a current mayor who put an indoor mask mandate on her consitituents and then basically did an interview saying with a wink and nod that basically its bs.

you are living in some bizarro world where your goal is zero covid, restaurants are quite safe, just because you live in fear that should not effect others.
my bizzaro world is one that everyone looks out for one another .
That truly is a bizarre idea in today's me first society.
I don't think mask wearing will stop the virus completly, just feel wearing a mask might keep the spread down bewtter than not wearing one.
Also feels it shows someone care for others, even though it inconveniences them.
Also feel some who just don't like to look at the whole picture also feel what might happen to others is not their concern and find excuses so they can just look out for themselves.
So they find reasons to excuse what they do , even if it's using someone in authority refusing to own up for a mistake and trying to excuse her action that went against a policy she set.

The picture I posted of a President was from around a year ago , there was an anti mask crowd then as there is now, so it was appropriate posting .
Fun fact:
Here's a picture taken this year of the man who was the President of The United States ,
15 years ago
BB1eLr3g.img

(ps I know you made a mistake , which could be considered an innocent one, but just showing you how a mistake can be used against someone that just had a momentary laps.
The Mayor of SF had one, but refused to admit it and deserves to be called out for her mask gaff , along with being condemned for that refusal)

You conveniently ignore what I said about that current mayor refusing top own up to her mistake and how I agree that in venues that serve food and beverages mask wearing there really isn't going to be an effective way to protect from spreading the virus to others from those that have it without knowing ( first stage type infection ).
That's why I put in the proof of vax or negative teat to enter places like that.
Sort of like a no shoes-no shirt type of ban

I went to WVB Friday night at the RAC. I had to wear a mask. I didn't like it. I started thinking about what percentage of fans at a typical MBB game with 6000 people will be vaccinated. I'm vaccinated and I would assume the entire student section will be also. I know things can change and more kids may be vaccinated by Thanksgiving. I may be in no hurry to attend too many events under the current scenario. Yes, I know this is my choice. Thanks for listening. $$$$
Yeah unfortunately i wont be attending any games this year. Yelling into a mask for 2 hours sounds miserable

Hope you're vaccinated and in good health.
Personal choices are something we all understand, but the choice not to protect your neighbor , if a chance of being infected and not protected, might be one we should condemn.

Taking masks off to eat and drink in indoor vewnues lessen the effectiveness of mask mandates and proof of vaccination , without any exceptions, should be the only entrance requirement.
No one should be concerned if theyre vaxxed. This is endemic. Zero covid aint happening

Reactions: bac2therac
Good grief instead of whining on here why don't you check the state's dashboard. Schools have been in session for weeks and the R0 is down to 0.94 and dropping. This, combined with the fact the virus is homogenous (i.e. one dominant strain worldwide) for the first time since it was originally discovered is great news. Chances are cases are close to where they were at the end of June by the time the season kicks off.

If this comes to fruition there won't be restrictions for anyone, vaccinated or unvaccinated. If cases still remain in the 1k range when the season begins I COULD see them either going for masks for everyone or proof of a negative antigen test if you aren't vaccinated. But the stadium will be packed regardless which is what matters.

Reactions: gregkoko
The other day as I was exiting a grocery store this young man maybe twenty? gets out of his car without a shirt on and as he walks towards the entrance he puts his shirt on because you are not allowed in stores without shirt and shoes but he does not put a mask on, think about that every time you see a person in the store without a mask but they have a shirt and shoes on I guess making a person wear a mask is against their freedom but telling someone where they may or may not wear a shirt or shoes does not violate their freedom.
Yes a person's freedom not to wear a mask is so important people will invade the Capitol, they carry on about their freedoms but when most are given a choice to get the shot or have to undergo the agony of getting tested on their own time once a week all that freedom stuff usually goes out the window and most get the shot.
Fickshun

No Mask No Service

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT