ADVERTISEMENT

The team died with Mag

He was a consistent 10 and 10 guy? That would be hard for him to do since he never grabbed 10 rebounds once this year. You guys are just making stuff up now. So weird.

Can you read? I said he was becoming a consistent 10 and 10. You clear don’t pay much attention to how players evolve and improve over the season. Probably dont realize this is the first time he’d been healthy all season since high school.

This is true but it wasn't that way earlier when we were playing better and winning. Folks wanted him benched. When he went down he was certainly on fire.

We had flexibility. We could go with either Mag or Hyatt, whoever was giving us more or who gave us a better matchup. If one player was off, we could lean on the other - both brought different things to the table, and gave different looks to our opponents.

As the season wore on, it became more apparent who Pike was leaning more heavily on. In the 5 games before MSU, Mag was averaging 30.2 min... while Hyatt was averaging 19.4 min. In the game just before MSU, Pike even put Palmquist in for 16 minutes and Hyatt only saw 14.

Did you happen to notice how good he was playing when he went out…I’m not sure I’d say anyone was playing better - arguably the 2nd best player on the team. Sounds silly, but 2nd or 3rd best defender. 2nd or 3rd best on offense.
There’s zero argument to be made he was better than cliff or cam

Can you read? I said he was becoming a consistent 10 and 10. You clear don’t pay much attention to how players evolve and improve over the season. Probably dont realize this is the first time he’d been healthy all season since high school.
How can you be a consistent 10 and 10 when he’s never gotten 10 rebounds once in his career? Lol good lord dude you’re lost.

Ignoring Mags defense and contributions to rebounding which is significant, Mag was very fast and moved without the ball well on offense. It made his defender stick with him so he didn't get an easy layup or back door cut.

The players replacing him are half as fast. It's allowed teams to play better help defense. It's not just his contribution to the stat sheet. He opened up the floor and gave us more chances with his rebounding.

Ignoring Mags defense and contributions to rebounding which is significant, Mag was very fast and moved without the ball well on offense. It made his defender stick with him so he didn't get an easy layup or back door cut.

The players replacing him are half as fast. It's allowed teams to play better help defense. It's not just his contribution to the stat sheet. He opened up the floor and gave us more chances with his rebounding.

No metrics on moving without the ball. Or foot speed.

We held Michigan to 58 points. We miss Mag but it was poor foul shooting, wacky mass substitutions and nothing from Hyatt. Nothing to do with absence of Mag today.

Reactions: RU MAN

@FinalFourOrBust be sure to read that.

We held Michigan to 58 points. We miss Mag but it was poor foul shooting, wacky mass substitutions and nothing from Hyatt. Nothing to do with absence of Mag today.

Nothing from Hyatt or Palmquist... and no other option available to take them off the floor. They combined for 3 points in 53 minutes.

Reactions: goru7
How long is it going to take for people to realize the one common denominator here is Mag is gone?

He was our best intangible player

He was our highest energy player

He brought toughness

Best presser

Covered others defensively

Rebounded

High efficiency scorer

Our depth is bad and forces everyone else to play more minutes

Etc etc

There is a reason why everyone else looks worse and it's not just defensively
Yep. The season is done we are not the same team after the mag Injury. We are 1 and 4 . The ride is over for this year.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
And so your thesis is that Mawot Mag was so mother****ing good that a bunch of dumb, useless idiots + him was a top 25 basketball team?

How do you guys not understand how dumb this sounds?
Stupid post of the week.

People are fine blaming Pike for bringing in bench players

People are fine blaming bench players for not playing well

Same people can't comprehend these things are happening bc Mag is out

It's pretty wild logic to follow

Reactions: RUbacker

One if the many many things Mag does that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and people who don't understand basketball don't see or understand the importance of

He was better than Cam on D. Better than Caleb on O, and stood out during some of their stinkers.
You’re ignoring all of mags stinkers and Mags highs never came as close to cams highs. All three of our big ten road wins were because of cam and mag had nothing to do with any of them.

How long is it going to take for people to realize the one common denominator here is Mag is gone?

He was our best intangible player

He was our highest energy player

He brought toughness

Best presser

Covered others defensively

Rebounded

High efficiency scorer

Our depth is bad and forces everyone else to play more minutes

Etc etc

There is a reason why everyone else looks worse and it's not just defensively
Palmquist couldn’t see the floor unless it was at the end of a blowout up until a few weeks ago. He played 25 minutes tonight.

This team had just enough pieces and a very specific formula for winning games. It worked well, but without Mag it doesn’t work anymore.

Stupid post. We gave up 58 points. Problem was foul shooting and no O. Mag absence not a factor at all.

Hyatt no points!
Awful foul shooting.
Pike has to shorten bench,
Gave up 57 to Wisconsin and won. Offense was the problem and of course foul shooting.
How do you foul shoot 31.3 % on your home court?

People are fine blaming Pike for bringing in bench players

People are fine blaming bench players for not playing well

Same people can't comprehend these things are happening bc Mag is out

It's pretty wild logic to follow
I think the absence of Wolf in the lineup before tonight has been weird. He's legit the only other guy down low that can bang and play physical.

Team has become seriously soft honestly.

I mean Mag might be worth 15 points in a game where Hyatt is doing.. whatever the **** he was doing tonight.

Zero points is one thing, but also only 1 rebound? What the hell?
Come Here Dr Evil GIF

If the team can’t play without Mag, that’s on the rest of the team, not the loss of Mag.

If a team loses one guy who plays 25mpg and everyone else on the team wilts, it’s the weakest bunch of psyches in existence.

This overfocusing on Mawot Mag because his injury coincided with a huge team wide slump is absurd
Not when the team is 6 deep

Scnagg is spot on with loss of Mag. Losing Mag is immeasurable loss. We don’t have the depth to compensate nor do we have the players to elevate their game.

There was one play that epitomized our futility tonight, RU played solid D, Michigan missed the shot and 4 RU players just stood there and watched the rebound bounce in front of them with no one going for it and eventually Cliff too late decided to go for it...alas Michigan would end up with a 3 on that possession

There was one play that epitomized our futility tonight, RU played solid D, Michigan missed the shot and 4 RU players just stood there and watched the rebound bounce in front of them with no one going for it and eventually Cliff too late decided to go for it...alas Michigan would end up with a 3 on that possession
That play was bizarre and I agree it epitomized that game

If the team can’t play without Mag, that’s on the rest of the team, not the loss of Mag.

If a team loses one guy who plays 25mpg and everyone else on the team wilts, it’s the weakest bunch of psyches in existence.

This overfocusing on Mawot Mag because his injury coincided with a huge team wide slump is absurd

I agee with this though I agree with Scangg and Choppin and Diddy too. I think everyone is right here. Mag was a cog on a wheel. Pike has a specific way of playing. Once that was removed the whole wagon fell apart as we dont have the depth to replace it.

And yet RU still went out and finished the game vs Sparty. They still gathered themselves and won out in Wisky with 2 players out

Mag was not the reason they missed 11 free throws in the first half at one point. Mag wasnt the reason for lazy passes. Mag isnt the reason for lack of leadership.

I would have expected a Pike team especially so experienced to show more composure and toughness and we lacked both but the latter is problematic.

Look we all want to praise Pike because he managed to get a rag tag bunch with some of the least talent in the league overall playing at a high level and the most elite defense in the country. It was covering up for bad recruiting and some never wanted to admit that his recruiting was particular poor for the 2022 season as we only landed Cam as an impact player. Obviously Pike is now reeling some guys in but we needed bridge guys. Hyatt is an experienced player so a peformance tonight is pretty damning at this point in the season. Simpson nowhere near ready and he simply is not that good, ive seen Geo comparisons and he is nowhere near what Geo was as a freshmen. Three players should not be here and maybe even a 4. Thats alot to carry on a roster and thats why its almost entirely on the top 5 to get it done

we all got excited when this team overacheived and now we are all salty they are playing poorly but again maybe we were never that good to begin with is the reality

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Look we all want to praise Pike because he managed to get a rag tag bunch with some of the least talent in the league overall playing at a high level and the most elite defense in the country. It was covering up for bad recruiting and some never wanted to admit that his recruiting was particular poor for the 2022 season as we only landed Cam as an impact player. Obviously Pike is now reeling some guys in but we needed bridge guys. Hyatt is an experienced player so a peformance tonight is pretty damning at this point in the season. Simpson nowhere near ready and he simply is not that good, ive seen Geo comparisons and he is nowhere near what Geo was as a freshmen. Three players should not be here and maybe even a 4. Thats alot to carry on a roster and thats why its almost entirely on the top 5 to get it done

we all got excited when this team overacheived and now we are all salty they are playing poorly but again maybe we were never that good to begin with is the reality
I mean I still remember the end of some cupcake game where the subs went in for two minutes and we were all like "holy shit these guys are bad"

Now these guys are getting minutes.. I mean it's a little unfair for me to say it though because the guy who killed us the most in this game was a guy many argued should start (and is starting now)

I mean his first two shots were something you and I could have thrown up
Yeah that's the kind of performance that almost makes you wonder if something else was going on (i.e. a personal issue or something). Just looked completely out of it from the start.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Yeah that's the kind of performance that almost makes you wonder if something else was going on (i.e. a personal issue or something). Just looked completely out of it from the start.
I had a similar thought. The problem is we have no margin for things like that. There is no way to have a rotation right now that does not include significant minutes for Hyatt - He's going to see 25+ minutes even if he's having a D- night

I had a similar thought. The problem is we have no margin for things like that. There is no way to have a rotation right now that does not include significant minutes for Hyatt - He's going to see 25+ minutes even if he's having a D- night
You are correct. Ride or die with Andre driving bus rest of way. Katz I think bailed out the back lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT