ADVERTISEMENT

This Will Not Sit Well With Some of Our Posters - Good Schiano Article

Thank you! The posts about how Mehringer left because he wanted a better job made me worry that I was losing my mind. It was clear at the time -- and everyone on this board knew it -- that he was being kicked out. And for good reason -- he was incompetent, and that's putting it nicely.

Don't you love how people just rewrite history to suit their point of view?

Thank you! The posts about how Mehringer left because he wanted a better job made me worry that I was losing my mind. It was clear at the time -- and everyone on this board knew it -- that he was being kicked out. And for good reason -- he was incompetent, and that's putting it nicely.

Wrong.
OC Mehringer needed to be brought back.
For "OC continuity".
Remember we were on our 9th in 9 years I think?

At least that is what everyone said about OC McNulty 2 years later.

Don't you love how people just rewrite history to suit their point of view?
I didn’t rewrite anything. I just see speculation. I haven’t seen anyone cite anything. I have no point of view because I wasn’t even particularly enthused by his or any of Ash’s OC hires. Fine with me that he left. I referred to the thread when he left and I refer to his prior work history as well. I also cite other coaches who have made moves that seem like a step down with the hope that in the future it might lead to a step up.

I didn’t even want to go this deep in the weeds on something that doesn’t even matter. But people acting like moves like that in a career and even specifically his career don’t happen as crazy talk makes me demonstrate no it’s not. Whether he was fired politely or not makes no difference to me.

How did this thread get to an OC fired from 5 years ago? At least talk about the most recently fired OC--or why we have such a problem with offense and OCs no matter who is our coach? Is it an Athletic Department problem? Have coaches all been trying to make a system work that doesn't work? Don't tell me it's talent. You don't need Ohio State offensive talent to score a little on really bad teams like Temple or Boston College. It's a coaching issue.

How did this thread get to an OC fired from 5 years ago? At least talk about the most recently fired OC--or why we have such a problem with offense and OCs no matter who is our coach? Is it an Athletic Department problem? Have coaches all been trying to make a system work that doesn't work? Don't tell me it's talent. You don't need Ohio State offensive talent to score a little on really bad teams like Temple or Boston College. It's a coaching issue.
Back to talking scheme.

Another good XO breakdown from the Athletic (paywall). This time TCU’s offense. Like I said some of these offenses can and do run the ball.

From the article:

It’s one of only three FBS teams ranked in the top 25 nationally in both passing offense (289 yards per game) and rushing offense (219). Horned Frogs running back Kendre Miller is averaging 6.5 yards per rush, and he has already eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: brgRC90
Back to talking scheme.

Another good XO breakdown from the Athletic (paywall). This time TCU’s offense. Like I said some of these offenses can and do run the ball.

From the article:

It’s one of only three FBS teams ranked in the top 25 nationally in both passing offense (289 yards per game) and rushing offense (219). Horned Frogs running back Kendre Miller is averaging 6.5 yards per rush, and he has

I can't see most games and I'm not an expert on Xs and Os but are we trying to do the wrong things across different head coaches and different OCs? This is 10 years of bad offenses that struggle even against bad teams. What that suggests to me is predictable play calling. Even bad defenses will stop you if they know exactly what you're going to do.

--or why we have such a problem with offense and OCs no matter who is our coach?

Up until Ash, the biggest reason we weren't retaining OC's (and assistant coaches in general) was that we paid squat compared to other P5 teams. Hell, even to some G5 teams. Fridge was the first OC who got paid well comparatively, prior to that... So often we'd get retreads, failures trying to bounce back, position coach upgrades, etc. The first 2 years under Flood the assistant coaching salary pool was minuscule (and Flood's salary was scraping the bottom of the barrel for HC's), and he had a revolving door of assistants during that time period.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Up until Ash, the biggest reason we weren't retaining OC's (and assistant coaches in general) was that we paid squat compared to other P5 teams. Hell, even to some G5 teams. Fridge was the first OC who got paid well comparatively, prior to that... So often we'd get retreads, failures trying to bounce back, position coach upgrades, etc. The first 2 years under Flood the assistant coaching salary pool was minuscule (and Flood's salary was scraping the bottom of the barrel for HC's), and he had a revolving door of assistants during that time period.
Once again, we don't want to hire guys who are successful at lower levels and promote them, as if the game is really so different between 1A, 1AA, 2, etc.

I won't say promotion but a move that could lead to possibly better career position in the future. Also it wasn't just position coach it was WR/PGC (passing game coordinator). He's from Texas and had worked with Herman before and Herman's star was on the rise at the time. If they had done well WR/PGC could lead to OC at a higher profile school in the future or OC at Texas itself it the Texas OC left. Joe Brady turned his PGC position at LSU to a NFL OC position. I also see PGC as closer line to OC vs RGC.

Rhett Lashlee left being Auburn OC under Malzahn to UConn OC for year. He later turned that into SMU OC then Miami OC and now SMU HC. You'd think that was a step down from Auburn to UConn but he did it.

Even Gleeson, moving away from a more successful Ok St program to RU but a move back home and might lead to a better position in the future for him if it worked well. People from the outside would think moving from Ok St to RU was a step down too.

It all depends on the person and what they think might be a good career and/or personal life move.
Thanks for your civil and thorough reply. Had he been more successful here, I would find it easier to believe that he left voluntarily. Even WR/PGC is a downgrade from being an OC. But he has just become head coach at James Madison (where, as you said earlier, he worked before going to Texas), so going back to Texas obviously worked out for him.

I actually took a look through it too - @koleszar was on it from the start! But you are correct, many were reacting to the first time they heard the news and the thread did not say he was fired.
Fvck yeah, I'm going to revive this thread every few years like @Plum Street and tell everyone listen to me, I'm The Nostradamus of Rutgers. I nailed it. 😂

Fvck yeah, I'm going to revive this thread every few years like @Plum Street and tell everyone listen to me, I'm The Nostradamus of Rutgers. I nailed it. 😂
I hadnt posted in it myself back then but sure I posted in the dozens of other threads that the revival poster didn't happen to bring back up.

Reactions: koleszar
I hadnt posted in it myself back then but sure I posted in the dozens of other threads that the revival poster didn't happen to bring back up.
It’s enough to do a text search for 1 thread, specifically the initial one of the news and the reaction. How many threads should I look up lol. You’re more than welcome to if you want.

Hey man when you are right, you are right . The main issue with ash getting us smashed was the way people disagreed at the outset .
but is that even professor plum’s greatest work? There is coining the term “flood is a dud” in 2012 .
But probably telling the board carroo’s arrest was bad while charges were still pending is probably plum’s greatest moment . Even in that thread people reacted poorly to the inside news professor plum shared. Not posters are you nuts finest board moment.

plum nailed it ….again

That would be hilarious, you gotta do it. But be sure, when you do, that you refer to yourself in the third person the way Plum did in many of his self-congratulatory posts. 😃

Put this in your calendar and do it every year, not every few years, please. I live for this shit.

Very fair points.

A concern for those who want a different HC is we are in for another crap shoot. Do we get another Ash, or do we luck out and get someone who turns it around? Of course, the flip side and come back is-"do you want to stay mired in mediocrity?" Of course not. But it is a bit of Sophie's choice here: show a little patient while Greg hopefully develops, or roll the dice on someone new. We see how the latter way went. As I noted above there are signs of substantial improvement on defense and special teams.

While I will probably get skewered for this, even Jim Harbaugh had Michigan finish no better than 3rd place (and 4th place in year 3) in the B1G East at blue (and maize) blood Michigan. Sure, he went 10-3 his first two seasons, but the standard for success is much higher at Michigan.

You mentioned Hugh Freeze-not the greatest comparison at Liberty. Here is Hugh's record at Ole Miss:

2012Ole Miss13760.5388.435.20BBVA Compass Bowl-W
2013Ole Miss13850.61510.425.8921Music City Bowl-W
2014Ole Miss13940.69216.808.1118317Peach Bowl-L
2015Ole Miss131030.76914.424.4217310Sugar Bowl-W
2016Ole Miss12570.4174.745.831111

And I will revert back to Jimbo Fisher, who was fairly successful at FSU, but he has basically flopped at A&M.

And Mark Stoops first 4 years:

2013Kentucky2–100–87th (Eastern)
2014Kentucky5–72–66th (Eastern)
2015Kentucky5–72–6T–4th (Eastern)
2016Kentucky7–64–4T–2nd (Eastern)L TaxSlayer

Mark Stoops is probably one of the better comparisons. In his year 3, Kentucky got pummeled by Miss. State, Tennessee, and Georgia. He beat a #25 Missouri, but Mizzou finished 1-7 in the SEC that year.

Totally agree with you that Greg needs to hit the portal hard.

Onward, upward (hopefully). Even I have doubts sometimes.
We identify a program builder who has done it as a HC, ideally turned around multiple programs at different levels, who is currently a HC, and is currently affordable….
‘No such coach exists’ you might think, my reply will continue to be ‘Mike Houston’

for those of you who don’t know Mike Houston, he is currently the HC of ECU in his 4th season. He inherited a program that went 3-9 the previous 3 years prior to his hire, by year 3 they were a 7 win team and this year are already bowl eligible with 3 games left in the schedule.

Prior to ECU Houston was the HC for JMU, a program he took to multiple FCS National Chanpionship games and won one (he was there 4 years).

prior to that he was the HC of the Citidel who in his 3rd season their led them to their first winning season in 30 years.

prior to that he was at Lenore-Rayne initially as the DC (his first college job) than after the HC was fired he was promoted and in his first season as HC led the team to a 7-3 record….

So why Houston? Because Houston has never been handed anything, never took the coordinator job at the big school to shoot up coaching carousel charts (aka Chris ash). He understands what it takes to be a HC with limited resources as he’s done this his entire career! Now the ultimate kicker, he’s currently making less than $2 million a season! He’s affordable!

you wanna know who our next HC should be? I just spelled it out for you

We identify a program builder who has done it as a HC, ideally turned around multiple programs at different levels, who is currently a HC, and is currently affordable….
‘No such coach exists’ you might think, my reply will continue to be ‘Mike Houston’

for those of you who don’t know Mike Houston, he is currently the HC of ECU in his 4th season. He inherited a program that went 3-9 the previous 3 years prior to his hire, by year 3 they were a 7 win team and this year are already bowl eligible with 3 games left in the schedule.

Prior to ECU Houston was the HC for JMU, a program he took to multiple FCS National Chanpionship games and won one (he was there 4 years).

prior to that he was the HC of the Citidel who in his 3rd season their led them to their first winning season in 30 years.

prior to that he was at Lenore-Rayne initially as the DC (his first college job) than after the HC was fired he was promoted and in his first season as HC led the team to a 7-3 record….

So why Houston? Because Houston has never been handed anything, never took the coordinator job at the big school to shoot up coaching carousel charts (aka Chris ash). He understands what it takes to be a HC with limited resources as he’s done this his entire career! Now the ultimate kicker, he’s currently making less than $2 million a season! He’s affordable!

Does that mean prime time is out? you said Houston had limited resources. Can you show the football budgets of his team vs the ones in his conference. Just like to have some facts.

I don't know anything about Mike Houston -- I don't follow college football carefully enough -- but I do want to thank you for this constructive and detailed response. I was beginning to worry that you were just a negatoid with a thing about "boomers." I hope your future posts will continue to be like this one.

GS would get the job done.
We would be playing meaningful games in November in a sold out stadium filled with Rutgers fans, not the opposition….If

Pay for play, no transfer restrictions and free agent portal didn’t exist
Zap, I get your point, and I'm concerned about this--specifically, that these changes will reduce the importance of the things that are Schiano's strengths. But I don't think it's a fait accompli. I'm relying on one truism: when changes are happening, predictions of what the future will look like are generally wrong.

Oh, the self fellatio is embarrassing!
when one feels being right one time is the highlight of their life ( board wise) one feels the need to remind everyone of being right.
If post a wrong prediction one tends to move on and not repeat that call again.
I've ignore just about all my misguided advice about HCs over the years , because of a tendency of my not barging about how wrong I was.
But don't mind one bit if someone posts how great what I said was ( still waiting)

My favorite reply to me was when another poster said ( alter reading a post of mine ) :something like this :
" that's the reason you're on so many posters ignore list"
Made my heart go piter pat -- piter pat knowing I had that type of following.
But for some unknown reason, kept getting ( some agree/some disagree) replies to my messages .
So I expect the self fellatio poster has their heart go piter pat -- piter pat thinking about being right one tome and thinks everyone here has their hearts go piter pat when his/her right on post is mentioned..
Being noticed for that probably is the highlight of their posting "career" and thwy never want it to end. :WooHoo::DeadHorse: :BeatDeadHorse:

Does that mean prime time is out? you said Houston had limited resources. Can you show the football budgets of his team vs the ones in his conference. Just like to have some facts.

the above article does not have the numbers for all the teams however there is enough there to see that ECU is operating at a budget of just over $10 million. For example, a couple weeks ago they beat at the time ranked #22 UCF 34-13. UCF has a football budget of over $23 million.

they just beat BYU their last game who has a football budget of over $20 million. They lost to at the time ranked #17 NC state by 1 point and NC state has a football budget this year of over $23 million.
Should I keep going? Lol

as for Prime, unfortunately I don’t think he’s attainable at this point as much as I’d love to have him. There’s serious talk about him in the SEC and at the end of the day, Prime is from the south, he made his career in the south. Idk if he comes here much as I would love him. As for Houston, I’ve been shouting for him at Rutgers since Chris ash’s third year. Back when he was at JMU.
Beyond that the guy is a dynamic salesman, just listen to one of his press conferences and it’s Mike Gundy-esque

Last edited:
I don't know anything about Mike Houston -- I don't follow college football carefully enough -- but I do want to thank you for this constructive and detailed response. I was beginning to worry that you were just a negatoid with a thing about "boomers." I hope your future posts will continue to be like this one.
Do yourself a favor and watch the game tonight. ECU is playing Cincinnati tonight on espn and you can see a Houston coached team first hand.. Big game as ECU is 6-3 coming in while Cincinnati is 7-2. Watch how that team performs tonight. They may not win, but they will give them hell.

the above article does not have the numbers for all the teams however there is enough there to see that ECU is operating at a budget of just over $10 million. For example, a couple weeks ago they beat at the time ranked #22 UCF 34-13. UCF has a football budget of over $23 million.

they just beat BYU their last game who has a football budget of over $20 million. They lost to at the time ranked #17 NC state by 1 point and NC state has a football budget this year of over $23 million.
Should I keep going? Lol

as for Prime, unfortunately I don’t think he’s attainable at this point as much as I’d love to have him. There’s serious talk about him in the SEC and at the end of the day, Prime is from the south, he made his career in the south. Idk if he comes here much as I would love him. As for Houston, I’ve been shouting for him at Rutgers since Chris ash’s third year. Back when he was at JMU.
Beyond that the guy is a dynamic salesman, just listen to one of his press conferences and it’s Mike Gundy-esque
They are having a great year. I will tune in and watch the game tonight. Has his name come up for any other HC jobs? Is his 20-22 record holding him back?

Reactions: yessir321
They are having a great year. I will tune in and watch the game tonight. Has his name come up for any other HC jobs? Is his 20-22 record holding him back?
Houston is building a good mid major program at East Carolina, but can't be called an instant success there.
It can be said he has the makings of a P-5 HC ,if he keeps the Pirates winning
2019East Carolina4–81–75th (East)
2020East Carolina3–63–5T–8th
2021East Carolina7–55–3T–3rdC Military
2022East Carolina6–33–2
East Carolina:20–2212–17

Duke and UNC were in the mix for him last year but went another direction after ECU extended him. His buyout reduces significantly after next year though so he’ll be primed to be taken at that point.

my biggest thing with him though is he’s always been a HC. He didn’t take shortcuts, didn’t take the coordinator job at the big school to raise his stock, he kept doing it as a HC. Gimme the guy who’s been a HC for the last 20 years, turned around 4 different programs along the way and is 6 years younger than schiano with no lull’s on his resume…. Houston was a HC when Greg 1.0 left, he’s been a HC the entire time since… we need that kind of leadership

Reactions: RU#1fan
Duke and UNC were in the mix for him last year but went another direction after ECU extended him. His buyout reduces significantly after next year though so he’ll be primed to be taken at that point.

my biggest thing with him though is he’s always been a HC. He didn’t take shortcuts, didn’t take the coordinator job at the big school to raise his stock, he kept doing it as a HC. Gimme the guy who’s been a HC for the last 20 years, turned around 4 different programs along the way and is 6 years younger than schiano with no lull’s on his resume…. Houston was a HC when Greg 1.0 left, he’s been a HC the entire time since… we need that kind of leadership
There’s been a lot of openings since GS 1.0 and the best offer he got was ECU. That scares me a little. Maybe he is peaking at the right time.

Houston is building a good mid major program at East Carolina, but can't be called an instant success there.
It can be said he has the makings of a P-5 HC ,if he keeps the Pirates winning
2019East Carolina4–81–75th (East)
2020East Carolina3–63–5T–8th
2021East Carolina7–55–3T–3rdC Military
2022East Carolina6–33–2
East Carolina:20–2212–17
And what about the 3 previous programs he turned around as a HC including winning a national championship with the program he was the HC of prior?

There’s been a lot of openings since GS 1.0 and the best offer he got was ECU. That scares me a little. Maybe he is peaking at the right time.
Bc he hasn’t gone the coordinator route. He’s a bit of an anomaly that I identified 4 years ago. I genuinely wanted him before he even took the ECU job, I knew what he would do there though. Even year 1 at ECU when his team went 4-8 (again, 3-9 the 3 seasons prior) I was calling for him on this board. He’s still unknown enough that the major schools haven’t come calling, but give it time. That’s why we have to go after him after next year. We’ve got to pony up to move past Greg

It should be obvious, however, that an awful lot--most--athletic departments are not especially great at picking head coaches and so if many are passing the guy by it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

It should be obvious, however, that an awful lot--most--athletic departments are not especially great at picking head coaches and so if many are passing the guy by it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Is on Ga Tech’s short list?

And what about the 3 previous programs he turned around as a HC including winning a national championship with the program he was the HC of prior?
he was good at lower level and proving to be good as a mid major HC , but right now he can't be labled as a good P-5 HC.
Just looks like he has the makings of being a good P-5 HC if he continues on the winning path.

Another l;ower level HC that impresses me and at a P-5 making the jump from FCS is the Kansas St HC Chris Klieman who jumped to the Wildcats from North Dakota St whee he reached the FCS Championship game all 5 years he was there , bringing home the title 4 times.
In the 4 years ( counting this season) he's been the HC, KSU is 26-16 under him

I see names being thrown out, but seldom see the one that deserves the most attention.
Houston deserves praise for doing well in his career so far and should be considered a HC that should be a P-5 HC soon.
But like everything else, when he becomes one that when well see what he's really made of..
Klieman is proving to be P-5 material
Houston deserves respect for putting himself in position to prove he has the stuff winning P-5 HCs are made of

Houston seems like he may be a good coach and he doesn't need his resume enhanced. Took JMU to championships but he didn't rebuild that program. They were a FCS playoff team two years in a row before he got there.
One of the biggest differences I see between ECU and RU right now is that ECU's QB is the starting QB for the fourth consecutive year and is the all time leader in passing in conference history while we played a third of our season with a third string QB.
Also thinking that rebuilding a program in the AAC or the Southern Conference might be a little easier than in the B1G 10 East.
Not taking anything away from what hes done in his career.

Last edited:
Houston seems like he may be a good coach and he doesn't need his resume enhanced. Took JMU to championships but he didn't rebuild that program. They were a FCS playoff team two years in a row before he got there.
One of the biggest differences I see between ECU and RU right now is that ECU's QB is the starting QB for the fourth consecutive year and is the all time leader in passing in conference history while we played a third of our season with a third string QB.
Also thinking that rebuilding a program in the AAC or the Southern Conference might be a little easier than in the B1G 10 East.
Not taking anything away from what hes done in his career.
Playoff team yes, he won the NC his first year there… so one could argue it was Houston that took them over the top. They made it back to the NC the following year as well.

more than anything did you watch the game last night? What a battle! Yes ECU lost on a field goal but my god did they fight in a tough environment vs a tough opponent. Gimme that guy as our next coach

I believe that in my post I mentioned that he pushed JMU over the top to two NCs.
Yes I did watch the game and it was a fun one to watch.
Once again he has the all time passing leader in the conference and a 4 year starter at QB and I believe the second leading rusher this year in the conference so you would kind of expect a pretty good team. I do remember the announcers talking about their offense having penalties on three critical third down plays. But a plus was that they had zero turnovers. That's what an experienced QB will do for you which unfortuntely we don't have.
He is a good coach and maybe be a P5 head coach someday and probably have some success. We'll just have to wait and see.
One other thing about Houston. Not only the entirety of his coaching career, from HS to ECU, but his entire life has been south of the Mason-Dixon line. You had mentioned that his name came up for vacancies at Duke and UNC even. I know that money talks but he might not even be interested in working in the NE. Being from Franklin, NC (population 4,175) he might not want to go to the big city.

Last edited:
I believe that in my post I mentioned that he pushed JMU over the top to two NCs.
Yes I did watch the game and it was a fun one to watch.
Once again he has the all time passing leader in the conference and a 4 year starter at QB and I believe the second leading rusher this year in the conference so you would kind of expect a pretty good team. I do remember the announcers talking about their offense having penalties on three critical third down plays. But a plus was that they had zero turnovers. That's what an experienced QB will do for you which unfortuntely we don't have.
He is a good coach and maybe be a P5 head coach someday and probably have some success. We'll just have to wait and see.
One other thing about Houston. Not only the entirety of his coaching career, from HS to ECU, but his entire life has been south of the Mason-Dixon line. You had mentioned that his name came up for vacancies at Duke and UNC even. I know that money talks but he might not even be interested in working in the NE. Being from Franklin, NC (population 4,175) he might not want to go to the big city.
so we actually do have an experienced QB, he just isn't playing. Good on Houston for understanding the importance of grooming a QB early rather than Greg who now in year 3 we see Gavin, who has talent, but is no where near polished enough for this league

so we actually do have an experienced QB, he just isn't playing. Good on Houston for understanding the importance of grooming a QB early rather than Greg who now in year 3 we see Gavin, who has talent, but is no where near polished enough for this league
Except GW did play in 4 games all while he should have been in HS...And now, just turning 19, is our starting QB...
Greg's QB issue is skipping a year of recruiting one

Reactions: colbert17
Hey @colbert17 thank God Mike Houston was coaching ECU yesterday as they only lost 42-3 at home on Senior Day to a team that needed a last minute comeback to beat Temple last week. If they didn't have Mike Houston they would have lost 77-0 or worse. Everything is so much better when you have Mike Houston.

Hey @colbert17 thank God Mike Houston was coaching ECU yesterday as they only lost 42-3 at home on Senior Day to a team that needed a last minute comeback to beat Temple last week. If they didn't have Mike Houston they would have lost 77-0 or worse. Everything is so much better when you have Mike Houston.
Was Mike Houston the Leipold of the week a couple of weeks ago?

Uhhhh, are you really this upset to actively look up what ECU did after we just got blown the F*ck off the field 55-10 at home?

ECU is going to their second straight bowl game…. Greg schiano continues to prove he has no business leading our football team.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Uhhhh, are you really this upset to actively look up what ECU did after we just got blown the F*ck off the field 55-10 at home?

ECU is going to their second straight bowl game…. Greg schiano continues to prove he has no business leading our football team.
Relax. You can't get pissed off at @wisr01 or anyone else if they bust your chops a little when ECU gets blasted. Have you read some of your posts about Houston? After the Cincy game you sounded like a 12 year old girl after a Bobby Sherman concert (60's/70's cultural reference). Re read some of your posts and with a neutral eye you'll see what I mean.
Houston is a good coach and he's done a good job at ECU and I compliment you for doing your research on him. Would he be successful in the B1G 10 East?? Who knows??
Don't be so serious. It's a message board where many (not all) things are said in good fun.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT