ADVERTISEMENT

TKR guys are way too harsh on Gavin

couple of things;
1.none of our guys are grading high on drafts boards so coming back is smart
2.our guys are getting NIL to come back, win win for them
3.Gave was pegged as starter, no real comp and it was the loudest whisper in the program
4.coaches aren't losing the team as everyone sees Gav strengths and weakness and these kids want to compete
5.bball team needs to jell and Pike need to tweak the o set. also, bball isn't football
The competition was a multi year competition. The starts both QBs got in previous seasons was the competition. Gavin's offense is different from Simon's offense. That delayed hand off would do nothing if Simon was the one handing it off. Was an important season and wanted to rep, rep, rep and rep so wimsatt was declared the starter early.

And no they aren't losing the team because the best QB will play. Competition.if they bring in a new transfer and annoint him the starter without him proving it in camp/practice/spring game. Have you ever been in a locker room? But this is an opinion so agree to disagree..

The competition was a multi year competition. The starts both QBs got in previous seasons was the competition. Gavin's offense is different from Simon's offense. That delayed hand off would do nothing if Simon was the one handing it off. Was an important season and wanted to rep, rep, rep and rep so wimsatt was declared the starter early.

And no they aren't losing the team because the best QB will play. Competition.if they bring in a new transfer and annoint him the starter without him proving it in camp/practice/spring game. Have you ever been in a locker room? But this is an opinion so agree to disagree..
I've got a bridge I'll sell cheap. Needs a little work but you'll make back your money via tolls real quick!

couple of things;
1.none of our guys are grading high on drafts boards so coming back is smart
2.our guys are getting NIL to come back, win win for them
3.Gave was pegged as starter, no real comp and it was the loudest whisper in the program
4.coaches aren't losing the team as everyone sees Gav strengths and weakness and these kids want to compete
5.bball team needs to jell and Pike need to tweak the o set. also, bball isn't football
And who isnt grading high on draft boards? Tyreem could go today if he wanted to. Longerbeam as well..also could transfer..

I've got a bridge I'll sell cheap. Needs a little work but you'll make back your money via tolls real quick!
I mean ok but you guys are just saying that. These guys each started multiple games lol. You don't understand that Gavin gave the coaches the ability to run a whole different offense. Did you notice the delay in every hand off? Seriously all jokes aside why do you think wimsatt started over Simon last year I need to understand? Are the coaches crazy or something?

I was not a Simon guy anymore than I was/am a Gavin guy. But, it's not unrealistic to posit that GS brought in Gavin as a prized recruit and Gavin got NIL money, so there were other factors at play. It is also possible that the coaches believed that Evan may have been somewhat better but Gavin had a higher upside, and they decided (right or wrong) that if they were going to live with developmental mistakes they would rather do it with Gavin than Evan.

I'm spitballing but they are two scenarios that are short of the coaches being crazy. Haha.

The most comical comment in this thread is Al trying to call someone out for gaslight when he’s the King of Gaslighting.

The most comical comment in this thread is Al trying to call someone out for gaslight when he’s the King of Gaslighting.
Have you ever even met Al? Great guy.

Richie would be better off running his podcast with a new co-host that doesn't manipulate data and only discusses football as a chore.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I was not a Simon guy anymore than I was/am a Gavin guy. But, it's not unrealistic to posit that GS brought in Gavin as a prized recruit and Gavin got NIL money, so there were other factors at play. It is also possible that the coaches believed that Evan may have been somewhat better but Gavin had a higher upside, and they decided (right or wrong) that if they were going to live with developmental mistakes they would rather do it with Gavin than Evan.

I'm spitballing but they are two scenarios that are short of the coaches being crazy. Haha.
I can definitely see that, promises made to a 4 star but I don't think Gavin was that type of 4 star. Like Rutgers didn't beat out USC and Alabama for the guy that he would have to make and keep a promise like that. But that is possible, I just try to think logically. Coaches wanted to run the ball and although he's not good at executing the option, Gavin could make a few plays that would keep defenses honest. But damnit I don't think gav knew how the run the option. He only kept the ball one time that I can remember and it was a 75 yard TD. Every other time was just a delayed hand off to monangai oh and I think he fumbled one time trying to pull it out of there and keep it himself. Needs to improve that too, this kid really shouldn't be anywhere but class, the practice field and the film room. I see this guy partying on the shore I'll know who's starting next year. I don't think this other kid and his brother are coming to party and bullsh1t. Coming to take your job son lol better get in that lab..

GS hates turnovers and whether it is GW's touch, decision making or combination there were too many close calls or game changing pics this year.

Watch his throws v. Miami and all I need to see are the last two throws of the game which were in the 3rd, @2:12 could have easily been a pic 6 which would have changed the game and then less than a minute later @1:23. Not throwing in the fourth and squatting on the lead was a necessity that thankfully our defense provided us. It is also evident why NIL money went to retaining much of our supporting cast.

Every Throw vs. Miami

This. We also want to draw highly recruited QBs in the future so the coaches were likely considering the optics of making sure anyone observing from the outside would conclude that Gavin Wimsatt was given every opportunity possible to succeed at RU and not held on a short leash.

I can definitely see that, promises made to a 4 star but I don't think Gavin was that type of 4 star. Like Rutgers didn't beat out USC and Alabama for the guy that he would have to make and keep a promise like that. But that is possible, I just try to think logically. Coaches wanted to run the ball and although he's not good at executing the option, Gavin could make a few plays that would keep defenses honest. But damnit I don't think gav knew how the run the option. He only kept the ball one time that I can remember and it was a 75 yard TD. Every other time was just a delayed hand off to monangai oh and I think he fumbled one time trying to pull it out of there and keep it himself. Needs to improve that too, this kid really shouldn't be anywhere but class, the practice field and the film room. I see this guy partying on the shore I'll know who's starting next year. I don't think this other kid and his brother are coming to party and bullsh1t. Coming to take your job son lol better get in that lab..
This is one thing pointed out on the podcast that I never had an answer to all season until the recent podcast. All season, it seemed to me that many times when the read would be for Gavin to keep the ball and run it wide as opposed to letting KM take it inside. I never understood why Gavin almost never kept it and took it to the edge. On the podcast they mentioned the fumble at the mesh point that you reference. I forget exactly what they said after that but I got the impression that the hosts believe that the coaching staff places the importance of not turning the ball over above the possible big play on the outside with the QB pulling it back and taking it to the outside. I don't know if that's correct or if I just don't understand what the proper read is on the edge defender, but I would have liked to seen more of that this year.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
It’s BS number. Just to make excuses. Why not adjust for bad weather or blow outs playing against backups?
It is. But comparative performance against cupcakes is not BS and cannot be disputed. Wagner and Temple are worse than the cupcakes Minny played. Any QB should be completing 70%+ against these teams.

If you're over 35 years old and listen to these podcasts one thing becomes apparent, you've likely been watching football longer than the staff here has been alive. This site is great for reading the banter from other posters, but if you're looking for measured, informed analysis on Rutgers Football you might want to look somewhere else. I trust my own eyes a lot more than the impulsive hot takes of a couple of Gen-Z kids still living in the frat house.

Skewer me if you want, just my opinion.

It’s BS number. Just to make excuses. Why not adjust for bad weather or blow outs playing against backups?
You asked a question & I gave you the definition. I never heard of it before this year.

Who has more expertise about QB's? The mods? They might have seen them more because of practice. But they don't have any expertise about the position more than anyone here. Lol
The mods on this site have no more insight than the average poster. The mods are not allowed to view practice, so they have not seen anything everyone else has seen. Mods are only allowed to interview players after practice

This is one thing pointed out on the podcast that I never had an answer to all season until the recent podcast. All season, it seemed to me that many times when the read would be for Gavin to keep the ball and run it wide as opposed to letting KM take it inside. I never understood why Gavin almost never kept it and took it to the edge. On the podcast they mentioned the fumble at the mesh point that you reference. I forget exactly what they said after that but I got the impression that the hosts believe that the coaching staff places the importance of not turning the ball over above the possible big play on the outside with the QB pulling it back and taking it to the outside. I don't know if that's correct or if I just don't understand what the proper read is on the edge defender, but I would have liked to seen more of that this year.
They were not letting Gavin make those read decisions at the mesh point. Greg basically confirmed it towards the end of the season during a presser. So every hand off was predetermined when they play was called.

The mods on this site have no more insight than the average poster. The mods are not allowed to view practice, so they have not seen anything everyone else has seen. Mods are only allowed to interview players after practice
LOL, they see the entire scrimmages during the spring and training camp and are being fed information from their sources within the program. They won’t comment on anything until the season is over though.

It’s how we found out last year that Vedral’s hand injury happened early in training camp. And with that much lead time Gleeson still had neither Gavin or Evan ready to be QB1. So his firing was beyond justified.

It is. But comparative performance against cupcakes is not BS and cannot be disputed. Wagner and Temple are worse than the cupcakes Minny played. Any QB should be completing 70%+ against these teams.
Wouldn’t games against common opponents provide a better read?

I didn't know that. So they have neither the insight nor the expertise. Then why on their latest podcast did they claim there was no competition. And talk about how bad GW was in pre-season.

LOL, they see the entire scrimmages during the spring and training camp and are being fed information from their sources within the program. They won’t comment on anything until the season is over though.

It’s how we found out last year that Vedral’s hand injury happened early in training camp. And with that much lead time Gleeson still had neither Gavin or Evan ready to be QB1. So his firing was beyond justified.
Like I said they are not allowed to see practice during the season, fans can see the same thing pre season as the mods. No more insight than the average fan!

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
We likely will have a defense next year that could win 8 or 9 games if we have a legitimate passing game. At some point the opposing teams are just going to load up on stopping the run and we will need to have a QB that can carry the offense. With our luck we will find our QB in a year that the defense struggles.

Reactions: Kbee3
Have you ever even met Al? Great guy.

Richie would be better off running his podcast with a new co-host that doesn't manipulate data and only discusses football as a chore.
Explain how data was manipulated?

That was classless and a low blow towards the mods

Nothing wrong with disagreement, but that was unnecessary and childish

Be better

Reactions: Knight Shift
Like I said they are not allowed to see practice during the season, fans can see the same thing pre season as the mods. No more insight than the average fan!

Sixty years of watching football has taught me to trust my eyes way more than any stats or "inside information".

Reactions: satnom and TRU2RU
No….these podcasts are supposed to be fairly based and yes all should be free to pick and choose their favorites . The question is ( albeit they claim Rutgers ties or have favorites) it leaves many with an odd feeling as to hear that Athan is so much better. Maybe he will be the guy but let it play out in spring summer IF it still is a competition. We all agree Rutgers needs better play at QB… actually waaaay better… Many other things come into play.

As I said on the premium board, to each their own.

I know the way I put things out there isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm always going to give my honest opinion and assessment on things. Never going to sugarcoat it and will always call a spade a spade.

No hatred for the kid, but I do fully believe he held Rutgers back a bit this season from getting more wins. Getting a more accurate quarterback is the key to this program taking the next step and everyone knows that, hence why they went out and did just that.

That's not even remotely true, we attend every practice just like everyone else does up until the season starts and then Rutgers locks it down for ALL MEDIA.

During the season, none of the media is allowed to view practice. However we can come after practice for interviews.

As I said on the premium board, to each their own.

I know the way I put things out there isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm always going to give my honest opinion and assessment on things. Never going to sugarcoat it and will always call a spade a spade.

No hatred for the kid, but I do fully believe he held Rutgers back a bit this season from getting more wins. Getting a more accurate quarterback is the key to this program taking the next step and everyone knows that, hence why they went out and did just that.
Well Richard you and Mike both seemed somewhat giddy and over the top with Athan. Sorry but to some it came across as outright well , “ he’s waaay better” and AK should be KC’s choice from the start . I like the competition factor but in all the Kaliakmanis videos only against Wisconsin did he perform above. . Gavin has had his accuracy issues yet Athan’s is not much better. Let’s get the wide receivers and TE’s straight first. We all want the QB’s to succeed. You should have an opinion and perhaps better insight but at least try not to show it as was presented in the podcast. We all love the info and banter.

I’m not sure I understand the backlash on AK. Is it that some think he stinks, he’s not as good as Gavin, or even though he’s not as good as Gavin he’ll be the starter? Options 1 and 2 won’t matter because Gavin will have a chance to beat him out. If it’s option 3 that’s a coach issue and certainly not an AK issue. Again, I’m just trying to figure out what’s up here because as far as I can tell we managed to bring in a kid who started a bunch of B1G games to compete for the QB job. It’s a win-win from my perspective.

I’m not sure I understand the backlash on AK. Is it that some think he stinks, he’s not as good as Gavin, or even though he’s not as good as Gavin he’ll be the starter? Options 1 and 2 won’t matter because Gavin will have a chance to beat him out. If it’s option 3 that’s a coach issue and certainly not an AK issue. Again, I’m just trying to figure out what’s up here because as far as I can tell we managed to bring in a kid who started a bunch of B1G games to compete for the QB job. It’s a win-win from my perspective.
It's not backlash. It's the fact that people are downright giddy and convinced he's a surefire upgrade when the stats are very similar. It starts with Richie and Mike on the podcast planting that seed into people that trust them.

Reactions: satnom and TRU2RU
Well Richard you and Mike both seemed somewhat giddy and over the top with Athan. Sorry but to some it came across as outright well , “ he’s waaay better” and AK should be KC’s choice from the start . I like the competition factor but in all the Kaliakmanis videos only against Wisconsin did he perform above. . Gavin has had his accuracy issues yet Athan’s is not much better. Let’s get the wide receivers and TE’s straight first. We all want the QB’s to succeed. You should have an opinion and perhaps better insight but at least try not to show it as was presented in the podcast. We all love the info and banter.
They have absolutely been giddy to bash Gavin. Very sad really.

Reactions: TRU2RU
It's not backlash. It's the fact that people are downright giddy and convinced he's a surefire upgrade when the stats are very similar. It starts with Richie and Mike on the podcast planting that seed into people that trust them.

Oh I’m excited and I do believe it’s a clear upgrade. IMO, Gavin has been the worst P5 QB in the country over the past 2 years and the stats support that position. But, I could be wrong, maybe AK stinks too. We’ll find out.

Oh I’m excited and I do believe it’s a clear upgrade. IMO, Gavin has been the worst P5 QB in the country over the past 2 years and the stats support that position. But, I could be wrong, maybe AK stinks too. We’ll find out.
He does stink. That's why they bringing in a guy from FCS to replace him.

He does stink. That's why they bringing in a guy from FCS to replace him.

Again, you might be right. I’m not anointing him a savior. But if a kid has an F in class and can improve it to a D you don’t say no thanks because it isn’t an A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT