ADVERTISEMENT

TKR guys are way too harsh on Gavin

Even with facts in front of you. Let me explain it better. We rushed for an additional 655 yds yoy. GW accounted for 436 yds of that increase. That’s 2/3’s of the increase rushing yds.
And that is what . . . surprising to you? If the kid can't run what can he do, sure as hell ain't playing that position for his passing accuracy.

I wasn't the one that started this thread so other people are thinking it too.

Why are Richie and Mike free from criticism and Gavin is not?!
you are wrong because you are claiming they have some bias or agenda, rather than just being two guys doing their jobs. It would be like saying Gavin has an “anti-complete pass bias” instead of Gavin isn’t very accurate.

Reactions: Knight Shift
you are wrong because you are claiming they have some bias or agenda, rather than just being two guys doing their jobs. It would be like saying Gavin has an “anti-complete pass bias” instead of Gavin isn’t very accurate.
Again I didn't start this thread so I'm not the only one that sees it this way.

That’s correct because we did a heck of a lot more of QB designed runs….way more than the previous year and the designed runs were must more schematically different

This isn’t a criticism or compliment of Gavin

It was the way the offense was designed and Gavin did a good job for the most part with designed runs

Aren’t we a bit sensitive

No need to be snarky about it
They clearly don't understand that this is what I meant by KC's play calling.

Richie has always been committed to bring these boards the good, bad and the ugly with RU sports. Unfortunately many can't accept the latter two and immediately get defensive.

No one hates Gavin or has an agenda. He's a flawed QB just like Evan Simon and RU needs better to effectively compete.

The crazy thing is, Greg brings in guys at many other positions from the portal and these guys are all cheering. But replace the QB and they go bat chit crazy over the prospect of having better play at the most critical position and insist the current guy is fine.

Yet you never gave credit to GW for being a big part of the improved run game. I’ve been sharing a lot of facts today and will add one more.

2022 total rushing yds 1538
2023 total rushing yds 2193

2022 total QB rushing yds 61
2023 total QB rushing yds 497
I think it was a wash. On one hand, the D had to account for Gavin in the RO. On the other hand, we saw many games where teams stacked the box because they didn’t respect our passing game.

I think it was a wash. On one hand, the D had to account for Gavin in the RO. On the other hand, we saw many games where teams stacked the box because they didn’t respect our passing game.
KC didn't run a read option with Gavin. All the decisions were made pre snap when the play call was sent in. That's why Gavin rarely kept it. Greg confirmed this.

KC didn't run a read option with Gavin. All the decisions were made pre snap when the play call was sent in. That's why Gavin rarely kept it. Greg confirmed this.
man I got tired of telling the board this all season. was easy to deduce but some insist on this as their reality

And that is what . . . surprising to you? If the kid can't run what can he do, sure as hell ain't playing that position for his passing accuracy.
Doesn’t surprise me. I know GW helped us get to a bowl and win it. Seems it’s a surprise to some. Btw, higher completion percentage than AK against the same B1G opponents this year. Facts are facts.

Even with hard evidence…..smh

Doesn’t surprise me. I know GW helped us get to a bowl and win it. Seems it’s a surprise to some. Btw, higher completion percentage than AK against the same B1G opponents this year. Facts are facts.
And AK had his receivers drop an inordinate amount of catchable balls. Bet that doesn't come into your "facts".

Using box scores with no context is like sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express and thinking you're an expert.

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
yes, if you adjust his numbers to make it look better, he is clearly better.
We have the side by side comparison of their stats for 2023 & 2022 on the Round Table.

In 2023, Minny receivers dropped 25 passes compared to 15 for RU. AK was also pressured 30 more times than Gavin and was sacked 8 more times. Facts are facts, right?

Personal bias?😂😂😂
It’s their opinion!
It is message board….everyone has opinions….seriously?

Just because you disagree with it doesn’t make it biased

You think Gavin is a good QB…

Many others don’t

So what….

Grow up
Sorry, but you don’t get to be Mr. Self Righteous when you consistently hurl sophmoric insults at people on the premium board. They don’t bother me, but If anyone needs to grow up, it’s you.

Richie admitted to bias when he said, Gavin was holding the program back, and anticipated criticism when he said that he knew it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. This is the editorial stance they’ve chosen to take, which is subject to criticism, which they are not above. And it has been reflected in their content for a while now. For at least some of us, It’s our opinion that their opinion stinks. And As paying customers, we have every right to express how we feel.

The kid found a way to win 7 games and they act like he’s Chris Laviano.

Also in their latest podcast they talk about how Kaliakmanis is way better than Gavin if you account for adjusted pass rate (which accounts for dropped balls) because Kaliakmanis is at 66%, only to find out that Gavin’s adjusted rate is at 57%

Not that massive of a difference fellas.
9% is a MASSIVE difference. Like MASSIVE haha.

Also, laviano was objectively speaking a better qb than gavin. Bad example.

Reactions: Knight Shift
OK, so it was just an option and not a read option. I was never that impressed with Gavin's running either honestly.

Al lecturing on who is not above criticism when he refuses to accept any for his gaslighting threads.

Mr Freeze Tonight GIF

Sorry, but you don’t get to be Mr. Self Righteous when you consistently hurl sophmoric insults at people on the premium board. They don’t bother me, but If anyone needs to grow up, it’s you.

Richie admitted to bias when he said, Gavin was holding the program back, and anticipated criticism when he said that he knew it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. This is the editorial stance they’ve chosen to take, which is subject to criticism, which they are not above. And it has been reflected in their content for a while now. For at least some of us, It’s our opinion that their opinion stinks. And As paying customers, we have every right to express how we feel.
So says the guy who plays the race card

Go back to making creepy videos for recruits

So says the guy who plays the race card

Go back to making creepy videos for recruits
You’re soft, snarky, and sensitive. Ironic. You can dish it out but can’t take it.

didn’t play the race card, but stood up for others right to do so. If people want to play the race card, that’s their prerogative.

You’re soft, snarky, and sensitive. Ironic. You can dish it out but can’t take it.

didn’t play the race card, but stood up for others right to do so. If people want to play the race card, that’s their prerogative.
HAAAA

Sure thing Skippy

Why do you hate Al so much? We need more fans like him!!!!!
I'm glad you agree that Al spends a great deal of time gaslighting these boards otherwise you would have addressed my actual comment instead of throwing around words like hate.

I'm glad you agree that Al spends a great deal of time gaslighting these boards otherwise you would have addressed my actual comment instead of throwing around words like hate.
Al has done more for Rutgers than 99% of the people in the boards. His positivity is something all Rutgers fans can learn from and strive to be like.

We have the side by side comparison of their stats for 2023 & 2022 on the Round Table.

In 2023, Minny receivers dropped 25 passes compared to 15 for RU. AK was also pressured 30 more times than Gavin and was sacked 8 more times. Facts are facts, right?
You showed side by side comparison of their adjusted stats. I listed the actual stats of the games against common opponents. Oh, Minnesota was 9-4 in 2022 and RU was 4-8 in 2022. Should the W-L be adjusted too?

Al has done more for Rutgers than 99% of the people in the boards. His positivity is something all Rutgers fans can learn from and strive to be like.
Strive to accept mediocrity and live in a fantasy world? We all want Rutgers to be great, but some of us want to see it on the actual field of play versus just in our dreams.

That’s correct because we did a heck of a lot more of QB designed runs….way more than the previous year and the designed runs were much more schematically different

This isn’t a criticism or compliment of Gavin

It was the way the offense was designed and Gavin did a good job for the most part with designed runs

Aren’t we a bit sensitive

No need to be snarky about it
I'm trying to understand if you guys understand that Gavins abilities are what make that particular offense work for the team. That's the whole point you guys aren't understanding, the most important part of the offense rutgers ran is having a QB that can put fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators. Causing defensive lines to play tentatively and not aggressive. All of the negatoids seem to purposely avoid that. Kind of how Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson can make a subpar offensive line and receiver group look like a top offense. You guys need to understand that, everything looks different when you have a QB that isn't a threat to make a house call on any play..

I'm trying to understand if you guys understand that Gavins abilities are what make that particular offense work for the team. That's the whole point you guys aren't understanding, the most important part of the offense rutgers ran is having a QB that can put fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators. Causing defensive lines to play tentatively and not aggressive. All of the negatoids seem to purposely avoid that. Kind of how Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson can make a subpar offensive line and receiver group look like a top offense. You guys need to understand that, everything looks different when you have a QB that isn't a threat to make a house call on any play..

Respectfully, I disagree. Teams routinely put 8 in the box against us and begged us to throw the ball. The fact that we didn’t speaks just how good our OL and Kyle were this year. Heck, we have RPO in the system and rarely did anything but hand it off. The DE almost always crashed down. We all saw it — Gavin almost never pulled it and took the edge. Teams showed very little respect for our QB. Now, in fairness, when Gavin ran he broke some runs this year but even those didn’t look natural and fluid. He’s a robotic player.

Do you really think Gavin did this with his legs? I’m not trying to be mean here but if I’m a defense, I’m trying to understand why one would think my scouting analysis should conclude that my offense should be planned around fear of QB keeps? Yes, he had 2 games (against a banged up VT D and a terrible run D in Indiana) where he exploded for a couple big runs. His running was basically a complete non-factor in the outcomes (and more importantly the game flow) of the rest of our games.

That’s the difference between his yards and Athan’s. Not all yards gained are created equal. Athan was asked to lead his team down the field with the outcome of the game on the line in many games. Completion percentage aside, he made enough throws when it mattered to put his team in the position to beat Iowa, Nebraska, NW and Illinois. D failed him in the latter 2 games. Gavin was never asked to fire away until games were too far out of reach to run (they let him throw a few meaningful passes vs Michigan State but that’s the extent). How do people not see the difference? Gavin isn’t leading us down the field with his legs in Q4 of a close game.

first of all, we are asking if you understand what you're talking about as it's clear you don't get the offense and each member role in it's effectiveness

secondly, calling people negatoids is the wrong approach as people are trying to educate you and others who seem to think that Gav's running made the running game more effective. You guys need to explain that as it' defies all common sense and football strategy 101.

Lastly, Gav hindered the offense in ways that boggles the mind how he was kept in as long as he was! No p5 coach is starting this kid much less giving him 100% confidence all year. Gav will be lucky to transfer and qb a upper echelon g5 school next fall

Reactions: csphi
Do you really think Gavin did this with his legs? I’m not trying to be mean here but if I’m a defense, I’m trying to understand why one would think my scouting analysis should conclude that my offense should be planned around fear of QB keeps? Yes, he had 2 games (against a banged up VT D and a terrible run D in Indiana) where he exploded for a couple big runs. His running was basically a complete non-factor in the outcomes (and more importantly the game flow) of the rest of our games.

That’s the difference between his yards and Athan’s. Not all yards gained are created equal. Athan was asked to lead his team down the field with the outcome of the game on the line in many games. Completion percentage aside, he made enough throws when it mattered to put his team in the position to beat Iowa, Nebraska, NW and Illinois. D failed him in the latter 2 games. Gavin was never asked to fire away until games were too far out of reach to run (they let him throw a few meaningful passes vs Michigan State but that’s the extent). How do people not see the difference? Gavin isn’t leading us down the field with his legs in Q4 of a close game.
Which QB had more rushing yards in the B1G?

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
first of all, we are asking if you understand what you're talking about as it's clear you don't get the offense and each member role in it's effectiveness

secondly, calling people negatoids is the wrong approach as people are trying to educate you and others who seem to think that Gav's running made the running game more effective. You guys need to explain that as it' defies all common sense and football strategy 101.

Lastly, Gav hindered the offense in ways that boggles the mind how he was kept in as long as he was! No p5 coach is starting this kid much less giving him 100% confidence all year. Gav will be lucky to transfer and qb a upper echelon g5 school next fall

I agree with this except for the part about last year’s decisions to play him. There are other factors at play and letting him ride out the season where we had already made a bowl and didn’t really have a great alternative who fit the offense was a reasonable decision. That’s very different from saying it would be reasonable to double down on Gavin going forward.

I agree with this except for the part about last year’s decisions to play him. There are other factors at play and letting him ride out the season where we had already made a bowl and didn’t really have a great alternative who fit the offense was a reasonable decision. That’s very different from saying it would be reasonable to double down on Gavin going forward.
disagree and it's one of the reasons we only had him under center. I'm not talking about playing Gav, you h ad to but I'm referring to ONLY playing Gav. Greg has mismanaged the qb position so poorly, any other school/fanbase would be calling for his head. Simon told Greg he's gone, save the time so he could use it as it was clear it was Gav's show win or lose and regardless how poorly he played.

The kid found a way to win 7 games and they act like he’s Chris Laviano.

Also in their latest podcast they talk about how Kaliakmanis is way better than Gavin if you account for adjusted pass rate (which accounts for dropped balls) because Kaliakmanis is at 66%, only to find out that Gavin’s adjusted rate is at 57%

Not that massive of a difference fellas.
You don't think 9% is a huge difference? At 57% would be good for 92 ranking while 66% would put him at 22nd.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Even with facts in front of you. Let me explain it better. We rushed for an additional 655 yds yoy. GW accounted for 436 yds of that increase. That’s 2/3’s of the increase rushing yds.
I don't think you are accounting for the fact Gavin was sidelined for 5 games last year, getting injured in the Temple game and coming back for Minnesota. He ran for 40 yards against BC and 64 against Wagner. When he came back, he had one game with positive rushing yards. He was probably protecting his healing leg (ankle?).
I get what you are trying to say, but I don't think it makes the point you want. He did not necessarily elevate his rushing game, it seems he got back to his usual self. This is in no way a knock on Gavin, just an observation (maybe opinion).

Bad joke reply ahead---but all of the starting defensive backs on those B1G opponents did not play against Rutgers. 😁

Let us guess, you’re crystal ball had Monangai as the B1G’s leading rusher in your season prediction?

That’s the primary reason they won more games and Kirk’s play calling that was able to hide many of our warts until the final month.

Monangai elevated his game to a whole other level this year. In the past, he didn’t necessarily gain many yards after contact in B1G play. It was a knock on him.

That was huge for the offense and team as a whole because it kept the defense rested. We also didn’t need to rely on the punter as our primary offensive weapon either.

But I’ll listen to them any day more than your soccer analysis. They don’t always get it right, but they own their predictions and provide great content if you’re not a homer.
Homer?
Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

You had to go to the personal attacks. Good lord. And I'll own being a homer. I enjoy going to Rutgers games. Wouldn't have it any other way. We have too many self loathing miserable fans. It is what it is.
Maybe the definition of homer is more fluid to me than to you and others. A quick dictionary search (including the Urban dictionary) did not reveal a clear definition.

I would not take being a homer as an insult. And I would not rule out that someone is not a "homer" even if the openly criticize players or the team when they perform poorly. Part of fandom is the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, and in the social media age, sharing those feelings online. The game threads are littered with examples of people who are hardcore fans that say things in the heat of passion. One could say that they are bad fans if they like, but IMO, they are just different fans who always see the positive side of things and don't like criticism of "their" team or players.

Thinking about it a bit more, maybe being a homer is being a Polyanna--a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything. Wikipedia calls a "homer" a myopic fan or media coverage biased toward the home team. Myopic is lacking in foresight or discernment : narrow in perspective and without concern for broader implications. With no insult intended, I would put @rutgersal in the homer/Polyanna category. That does not make him bad, just different from fans who are willing to take an alternative, and sometimes negative view of things.

Time to get to work.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT