ADVERTISEMENT

To all the folks in the Geo threads after first 2 games:

I wasn’t in those threads . But …it was NJIT . You need to post this when geo helps us beat Michigan and Ohio state
And he very well might and I'm sure we're all hoping he does. I figured this was coming when he had a great game. Everybody saw he had a great game. Asking for more consistently is criminal to some.
Same folks that every time Rutgers loses goes out and finds another team in the college universe that also lost to justify it.

In the thread about Geo’s body language, the thing I said I wanted to see was him making himself more of a vocal presence on the floor. Saw a lot of that from him tonight, really enjoyed watching him out there.

0 and 24 both showed up big time tonight. Hope they keep this going moving forward.

How many times have we seen Baker dribble down with 10 seconds left and have the ball stripped? How many times has he decoyed and passed to someone else?

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
I mean , he was awful in the first two games and played great tonight. Let’s see more of tonight’s play please. It shouldn’t be too much to ask if your fifth year leader

I’m much more down on McConnell and Mulcahy but Baker is a 5th year senior who has had 2 bad games and 1 good game against 3 crap teams. No reason to celebrate yet.

Geo is a veteran. He will raise the level of his game when the competition gets tougher

How many times have we seen Baker dribble down with 10 seconds left and have the ball stripped? How many times has he decoyed and passed to someone else?
Not that many times, but I do think that needs to be retired. It’s predictable enough that guys are anticipating what he’s going to do.

You can still run something for Geo to get the last shot but there needs to be more than what they’re currently doing. Give him a ball screen, have some motion off the ball, something.

Great to see Geo make shots.

I am disappointed on a night Geo is feeling it he can only get 10 shots off. Blame goes mostly to teammates and coaches.
Yep.. too many Paul and Caleb bad shots. They need to know their role, specifically when Geo is feeling it

I got you on Caleb...I am OK with most of Paul's shots. At least I think I am.
They are better than Calebs as he has taken some okay ones that have just rimmed out. Y problem with Paul so far is he doesn’t seem to have a plan when he gets into the lane. Also, his handle looks sloppy early on.

Teams are going to smell blood in the water when someone other than Geo brings the ball up the court. We may have to use a screener to get the ball past half court.

Very glad Geo had a good night. Hopefully this gets him going and we don’t see the guy from games 1 and 2 again.

Mulcahy (2-10), Hyatt (3-10), McConnell (3-10) all had as many shots as Geo (8-10). I don't care if they are 3 footers or 3 pointers I do not want Mulcahy shooting as much as Geo and obviously McConnell needs to be more selective with his shots and rein it in too. Just because it's an open shot doesn't make it a good one if the guy that's open is a poor shooter. Teams are going to allow Mulcahy and Caleb to put up double digit shots all day long and shoot us out of games until they prove that they're better than the stats of the first 3 games. If we're not at least looking to get Ron touches every time down the floor, we're doing the other team a favor. He is hard to defend and can create foul problems. More Ron.

Jones needs to start getting big minutes ASAP and take some away from Mulcahy and McConnell. Lots of upside with him and we're going to need it. Puts a helluva lot more pressure on Geo as a point guard and ball handler but so be it.

Last edited:
Teams are going to smell blood in the water when someone other than Geo brings the ball up the court. We may have to use a screener to get the ball past half court.

this team has a lot of problems. Boards will be a problem, ball handling, shooting. Hope I’m wrong, but this will be a long year.

It’s shameful when Caleb is hoisting as many shots as Geo tonight. I understand it’s difficult for a coach to tell a player not to shoot but Caleb as a veteran player needs to understand his role on the team which is defense and rebounding - not offense and shooting.

It’s shameful when Caleb is hoisting as many shots as Geo tonight. I understand it’s difficult for a coach to tell a player not to shoot but Caleb as a veteran player needs to understand his role on the team which is defense and rebounding - not offense and shooting.
Yeah, I agree. Caleb took 10 shots tonight. He missed 7. 4 of those didn’t touch iron. Coaches and players have learned a lot from the first 3 games. What we do now with that info dictates the next chapter of the season.

Mulcahy (2-10), Hyatt (3-10), McConnell (3-10) all had as many shots as Geo (8-10). I don't care if they are 3 footers or 3 pointers I do not want Mulcahy shooting as much as Geo and obviously McConnell needs to be more selective with his shots and rein it in too. Just because it's an open shot doesn't make it a good one if the guy that's open is a poor shooter. Teams are going to allow Mulcahy and Caleb to put up double digit shots all day long and shoot us out of games until they prove that they're better than the stats of the first 3 games. If we're not at least looking to get Ron touches every time down the floor, we're doing the other team a favor. He is hard to defend and can create foul problems. More Ron.

Jones needs to start getting big minutes ASAP and take some away from Mulcahy and McConnell. Lots of upside with him and we're going to need it. Puts a helluva lot more pressure on Geo as a point guard and ball handler but so be it.
Jones, and others, did a poor job defending the 3 point line. Yes NJIT made tough shots, but this is college basketball and you can’t give perimeter players room. Especially when you aren’t overly concerned with getting beat off the dribble.

this team has a lot of problems. Boards will be a problem, ball handling, shooting. Hope I’m wrong, but this will be a long year.
Plagiarism. You get an F.

Mulcahy has been really bad, but the shots he’s been taking have been for the most part very good shots, so he should be taking them.

All game I was thinking to myself do they NOT know who's hot out there and who's not? That's a crazy stat line. I would have no issue with Geo getting in the guys faces during a game like this and telling them to get him the ball more. He's got to demand it more.

Mulcahy has been really bad, but the shots he’s been taking have been for the most part very good shots, so he should be taking them.
Many seem to off balance and just thrown up there. either rushed from 3 or after a bunch of junk from underneath.
I'm really talking about form and not opportunity. form has been off a tad.

After his performance tonight that probably won us the game, can you all please:

STFU
GTFO

and finally
GFY

THX
for all you know Geo was critical of himself after two games and that helped him become better for game 3. I hope he doesn't read the board.. but if he did or if people told him the gist of that thread.. maybe we should be more critical of more players more often. ANd if he was unaware... then what's the big deal?

Way to go Brandon.

We really need to end these threads. It's only a couple of posters riding the JY train which seems to start all this crap. The threads start then everyone gets into it. We're all on the same team here.

I don’t understand the I told you so posts after game three. This is exactly who people have been saying Geo is as a player.

He plays pretty average at best for most games and then has a few good games sprinkled in, often against bad teams, and then those few performances are used to say how great a player Geo is..

There’s a reason carino/fonseca etc are leading their pieces with the idea that after a few bad performances Geo proves doubters wrong, again. It’s because he keeps playing poorly/inconsistent enough to have to prove himself! And that’s ok.

It’s not proving any one wrong in the long view. It’s just Geo playing like Geo.

I am disappointed on a night Geo is feeling it he can only get 10 shots off. Blame goes mostly to teammates and coaches.
That is the most frustrating thing. He shot 8-10 and easily could have been 14-20 if Caleb and Paul give up 5 of their ridiculous 10 shots each . Bad job by the coaches and bad job b the teammates . However , part of the problem is Geo’s mindset as he prefers to defer instead of taking over. That must stop and he must be aggressive from the opening tip. Not to nitpick but those saying Geo had 2 bad games it is only 1.5. He was scoreless in the first half of Lehigh but had 12 second nd half points and played better. But that goes to my other point that he started the season deferring and that mindset after being with Jacob and Montes and Ron and Caleb seeking offense for years , has to end. He has to be an alpha dog with Ron .

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Well Greenie,
He should never have to worry about teammates feeding him the ball on nights when he’s hot.
He should be the point guard with the ball in his hands to shoot when he wants and feed other guys.

Well Greenie,
He should never have to worry about teammates feeding him the ball on nights when he’s hot.
He should be the point guard with the ball in his hands to shoot when he wants and feed other guys.
He took some good shots as part of an offense this game rather than CREATING SHOTS all on his own.

An example that shows the negative... time running out in the first half. What SHOULD have happened is we run a play where Geo passes the ball and then gets it back off a screen.. or a second option to take an OPEN shot is found.

Geo has been successful at creating his own shot.. but why should we do that? If we went through every case of him doing one on one moves.. what is his shooting percentage? I don't know.. but if it is better than his taking open shots off a pass or a designed play I'd be shocked. Can opponents practice against his step-back move? I bet they can. He is somewhat famous for it now.

That is the most frustrating thing. He shot 8-10 and easily could have been 14-20 if Caleb and Paul give up 5 of their ridiculous 10 shots each . Bad job by the coaches and bad job b the teammates . However , part of the problem is Geo’s mindset as he prefers to defer instead of taking over. That must stop and he must be aggressive from the opening tip. Not to nitpick but those saying Geo had 2 bad games it is only 1.5. He was scoreless in the first half of Lehigh but had 12 second nd half points and played better. But that goes to my other point that he started the season deferring and that mindset after being with Jacob and Montes and Ron and Caleb seeking offense for years , has to end. He has to be an alpha dog with Ron .

is this by design, is Pike creating this by telling him to defer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT