ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA With An Inauspicious Start To B1G Life

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Oregon made a bang with their first B1G impression with the huge inflatable duck in the river, then UCLA did the exact opposite of that with theirs. Oof that was brutal to watch. Made me think of Ben McAdoo with the "Um" quote in his presser after a blowout loss.

He probably had three or four key points that he wanted to hit, but lost his train of thought on the way to the podium. Then he's like, f-it, ask some questions.
I don’t know. An opening statement is a given with these things isn’t it? He seems wildly unprepared.

Reactions: koleszar
He probably had three or four key points that he wanted to hit, but lost his train of thought on the way to the podium. Then he's like, f-it, ask some questions.
He was unprepared and just winging it, rather than lost his train of thought. He was searching for words to put together from the very start. You are allowed to bring note cards to these things, there's no written rule of no paper products at the podium.

Terrible look for UCLA. But can we really judge a program based on this? Much TBD....
Attention to detail was missing from one of the biggest press events of preseason. If this happened during Bob's backyard podcast, fine, who cares. But at B1G media day, prepare a little, because everyone's watching. DeShaun apparently didn't get that memo with his $3mil. check.

Reactions: Good-Knight
He was unprepared and just winging it, rather than lost his train of thought. He was searching for words to put together from the very start. You are allowed to bring note cards to these things, there's no written rule of no paper products at the podium.
I think he froze, just my opinion. But he probably should have had the bullet points written on something to bail him out when he did freeze. Most folks I work with use their talking points or prepared remarks as a security blanket to avoid that situation.

I don’t know. An opening statement is a given with these things isn’t it? He seems wildly unprepared.
Unfortunately, some folks think they are better at public speaking than they are. You don't want to sound too canned, but you should have something to fall back on up there to avoid embarrassing moments like this one.

Reactions: RuSnp
I think he froze, just my opinion. But he probably should have had the bullet points written on something to bail him out when he did freeze. Most folks I work with use their talking points or prepared remarks as a security blanket to avoid that situation.
Could you imagine if this was our coach? Half the board would be flipping out while the other half would be defending him with a bit of concern in the back of their minds.

If only he were in an area that had a concentration of production expertise to lend their support. Or better yet if the school itself had such resources, you know a department specializing in media savvy and production know-how.

Could you imagine if this was our coach? Half the board would be flipping out while the other half would be defending him with a bit of concern in the back of their minds.
Oh definitely. But I think that's one thing we don't have to worry about with GS.

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT