ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer dig at Tom Herman

Eazy_P

Junior
May 5, 2017
Link to article where Urban criticizes Herman's comments after Texas's loss.

Pretty interesting comments from Urban on not blaming existing players for shortcomings. Worth noting that Ash never took shots at any players he inherited.

Last edited:
Link to article where urban criticzes Herman's comments about Texas's loss.

Pretty interesting comments from Urban on not blaming existing players for shortcomings. Worth noting that Ash never took shots at any players he inherited.

Yeah except at ash's introductory presser he said he needs better players . But other than that I guess he didn't take shots

Charlie Strong, Texas' former coach, was also under Urban at Florida.

I guess he doesn't like one guy under his tree bashing another under the same tree.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Yeah except at ash's introductory presser he said he needs better players . But other than that I guess he didn't take shots

If I recall correctly he spoke about improving the overall state of the program (which is essentially what every head coach does in their introductory press conference), not the players specifically.

If I recall correctly he spoke about improving the overall state of the program (which is essentially what every head coach does in their introductory press conference), not the players specifically.
Plum Street just like to be as negative as possible

But he is correct, at some point Ash did indirectly put down the crop of players he inherited.
When coaches blame players that were left over from the previous staff, Urban told CBS that it drives him “insane,” adding that if any of his assistant coaches were to say that under his watch, they’d be fired. According to Urban, once a coach accepts the head coaching job, those guys on the roster are now officially their players.

“I’ve advised my coaches when they take new positions [to] always be extremely complimentary. Never talk as if those players aren’t your players. When I hear coaches say, ‘These aren’t my guys. Wait ’til we get some guys in here,’ I cringe. Whose guys do you think they are?”

Well that's s all I' ve heard from. the media, fans and coaching staff the last year. We need better and different players.

Meyer is right. But Herman isn't exactly wrong. He didn't blame the players from that quote.

Unless there is more to the story, I don't see how those statements are intertwined.

It is like when Edsall blamed his players after Rutgers beat them on the Tim Brown TD reception. Bothers me a lot.

But he is correct, at some point Ash did indirectly put down the crop of players he inherited.
And it happens every time a new coach comes in. The facilities are ancient, I can't believe the lack of S&C, etc. They intentionally set the bar low for themselves entering a re-building process.

The strangest scenario here was when Shea in either his last or next to last year threw his own players under the bus after we got crushed by Temple. Uh, Terry, you recruited these guys... I think overall Terry was a good man in over his head, but he let his frustration get the best of him that day. Probably one too many questions from Luicci in the post-game presser.

Last edited:
Urban Meyer is a flatulent bloviator who bailed on Florida when the going got tough. I don't like the bastard and certainly wouldn't trust him with any of my kids.

Err .. sure sounded like Drew was taking shots at players during some of his pressers last year...

Maybe Ash didn't, but Drew made some wince worthy comments about the talent level

The strangest scenario here was when Shea in either his last or next to last year threw his own players under the bus after we got crushed by Temple. Uh, Terry, you recruited these guys... I think overall Terry was a good man in over his head, but he let his frustration get the best of him that day. Probably one too many questions from Luicci in the post-game presser.
He just got beaten down by all the losing. There was A LOT of losing in those years.

Terry Shea talked about the "cupboard being bare".. then he proceeded to burn the cupboard.

'nuf said.. Urban is 100% Correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT