ADVERTISEMENT

Vance Jackson Update

A lot of things drive me crazy........

On the list is saying we need to replace PPG production.

Nigel Johnson scored for us. At what cost on the offensive end? Would I rather see 2 ball reversals and 2 cuts to the basket or Nigel dribbling. The production "is made up" from a more efficient offense where we score more on each possession. Points could come from 1,2,3,4 or 5. It doesn't matter!

Did Nigel really create offense or did he use the basketball to get scoring opportunities for himself with a lower efficiency compared to using the offense.

In conference our most efficient offensive players were
1. Williams
2. Gettys
3. Freeman

Not Johnson and not sanders. We can't certainly debate the statistics and the relevance. the shooting percentages can't be argued.

Spot on.....Nigel Johnson and to a lesser extent, Sanders, destroyed ball movement last year. That has to change this year.
You can also argue that Sanders and Nigel forced some bad shots and out of control drives bc no one else on the team had the ability to create their own shot so it forced them to be more aggressive. It would be interesting to see how Sanders would look surrounded by more offensive talent

Brainiac. This is very simple logic so try to follow closely. If mamadou was previously classified as a 2017 prospect, he basically has everything needed to be one again (even if he is a midyear enrollee). It is not a rumor...it is a legitimate option that our staff can take.

Mamadou was never classified as a 2017 prospect.... He's right, so slow your roll.

A lot of things drive me crazy........

On the list is saying we need to replace PPG production.

Nigel Johnson scored for us. At what cost on the offensive end? Would I rather see 2 ball reversals and 2 cuts to the basket or Nigel dribbling. The production "is made up" from a more efficient offense where we score more on each possession. Points could come from 1,2,3,4 or 5. It doesn't matter!

Did Nigel really create offense or did he use the basketball to get scoring opportunities for himself with a lower efficiency compared to using the offense.

In conference our most efficient offensive players were
1. Williams
2. Gettys
3. Freeman

Not Johnson and not sanders. We can't certainly debate the statistics and the relevance. the shooting percentages can't be argued.

I will just point out Gettys and Freeman relied on Nigel and Corey. The shootinng percentages can't be argued, but, the majority of Freeman and Gettys high percentage looks were from those two guards drawing the weak side defender and allowing a open put back. Freeman was king of force the issue with the ball in his hands everywhere else on the court. Just as bad as Nigel. Except Nigel could create his own opportunities as well as for others. Granted, I agree he was inefficient, and believe another guard can come in accomplish what he did without the turnovers.

Reactions: Scangg
Jackson is a take, if we can land him, period......If worse comes to worse, we have Sa, Myles Johnson and Doorson as the 3 bigs....I know it is not going to be popular, but you have to roll the dice and take a player that is going to be beyond this coming season, over a one year rental that you still have to recruit a replacement for.

The real discussion comes into play is whether the staff feels comfortable enough to roll the dice with walk-on Luke Nathan as the 4th big, even though he is a walk-on and obviously not ready for prime time at 6'10 215.........

It would make sense to keep Doucoure as a 2018 recruit IF you are fortunate enough to land a player that fits into your Top 8 rotation next year....a grad transfer obviously would and with the potential that Doorson maybe doesn't ever get into a position where he can play more than 20 minutes a game, you might be better off using the walk on for 6-8 minutes on occasion......this is assuming Doorson isn't ready for all 30+ games vs forcing a grad transfer into the lineup ahead of Myles Johnson and cutting off the potential of adding a Jackson or another freshman transfer that may hit the market.

Mamadou was never classified as a 2017 prospect.... He's right, so slow your roll.
Mamadou was originally a 2017 prospect who reclassified to 2018. That was always what was said in these boards

Jackson is a take, if we can land him, period......If worse comes to worse, we have Sa, Myles Johnson and Doorson as the 3 bigs....I know it is not going to be popular, but you have to roll the dice and take a player that is going to be beyond this coming season, over a one year rental that you still have to recruit a replacement for.

The real discussion comes into play is whether the staff feels comfortable enough to roll the dice with walk-on Luke Nathan as the 4th big, even though he is a walk-on and obviously not ready for prime time at 6'10 215.........

It would make sense to keep Doucoure as a 2018 recruit IF you are fortunate enough to land a player that fits into your Top 8 rotation next year....a grad transfer obviously would and with the potential that Doorson maybe doesn't ever get into a position where he can play more than 20 minutes a game, you might be better off using the walk on for 6-8 minutes on occasion......this is assuming Doorson isn't ready for all 30+ games vs forcing a grad transfer into the lineup ahead of Myles Johnson and cutting off the potential of adding a Jackson or another freshman transfer that may hit the market.

Mamadou was originally a 2017 prospect who reclassified to 2018. That was always what was said in these boards

For the last time. Mamadou was NEVER a 2017 recruit. He will be part of the 2018 recruiting class. I do not understand how this board does not understand this. The 2017 rumor, was started by someone on the board. It has no truth, validity, nor was it ever an option.

The 2017-18 team needs a Wing/SF who can shoot/score and play at least 25 minutes per game. As such, we need to pass on this transfer, who, IMHO is not truly interested in coming here anyway.

For the last time. Mamadou was NEVER a 2017 recruit. He will be part of the 2018 recruiting class. I do not understand how this board does not understand this. The 2017 rumor, was started by someone on the board. It has no truth, validity, nor was it ever an option.
The mods said 80-85% chance he reclassifies to 2017 a while back on the premium board. That should be enough to justify at least discussion on the topic. They have been silent on the topic since so maybe it is no longer an option but it was definitely discussed so get off your high horse

Reactions: RU_DIO and PaKnight
Brainiac. This is very simple logic so try to follow closely. If mamadou was previously classified as a 2017 prospect, he basically has everything needed to be one again (even if he is a midyear enrollee). It is not a rumor...it is a legitimate option that our staff can take.

No its a rumor, brainiac. Feasible, if that is true, but a rumor nonetheless.

Ty bud. I dont know why people get defensive. Its just not going to happen and is a rumor with no clout.

No its a rumor, brainiac. Feasible but a rumor nonetheless.
It's a viable option that has been mentioned by mods as well as regular posters in the know. I don't classify viable options that we can pursue as rumors.

The mods said 80-85% chance he reclassifies to 2017 a while back on the premium board. That should be enough to justify at least discussion on the topic. They have been silent on the topic since so maybe it is no longer an option but it was definitely discussed so get off your high horse

It came up not too long ago in an ATS, it is still a potential option, according to the mods.

Based on what? Kiss was an inefficient scorer in the MAAC.

Willingness to compete on every possession, and respect for the coaches. Play with some much needed swag as well. I am not just looking at ppg. More so, what a program like Rutgers needs. Kiss is the kind of kid you take a risk on.

You can also argue that Sanders and Nigel forced some bad shots and out of control drives bc no one else on the team had the ability to create their own shot so it forced them to be more aggressive. It would be interesting to see how Sanders would look surrounded by more offensive talent

This. Sanders surrounded by talent is a much better looking player imo. He'd be more efficient, assist would go up and turnovers would go down

Reactions: goru7 and Scangg
Ty bud. I dont know why people get defensive. Its just not going to happen and is a rumor with no clout.
Says the guy who obviously doesn't listen to mods opinions of what might happen or doesn't get premium info from the guys who would actually know

So what we would be saying is Pikiell doesn't have the ability to land a kid who is just finishing up his junior year. Given the current roster #13 is very important.

Not sure who you are or what your problem is.....this was not a rumor.....it was presented as a potential OPTION not by me, not by someone out of the sky, but from multiple and I classify multiple as more than 4 or 5, different places as a viable option for the staff.

That does not mean it will or is guaranteed to happen, but the likelihood at the time of the verbal was legitimate and accurate.....That does not mean it would have been the best move or something, but if you have an issue with it, sign up for premium, pass the required fee, research the information posted by the moderators and feel free to discuss afterwards.....

This is not limited to this message board, it was mentioned well beyond this website as well.....if this isn't good enough for you, not sure what else to tell you.....and your answer cannot be 6 months after the verbal has occurred, that it is a rumor because it has not happened yet....

6 months ago, the dynamics of the roster was completely different.....

A) Diallo was on and off again health wise and in the lineup

B) Doorson was in a boot most of spring last year and is in a boot again this spring, so you have no idea where he would be after this past season and how limited he was as well.

C) We did not have any other bigs committed, although we tried with a couple of JUCO's, none panned out.

D) We lucked into landing Myles Johnson, less than a month ago, after a strong spring circuit on AAU and secured his commitment.

E) Luke Nathan, while absolutely not a prospect that would land on any Power 5 big man lists, is now a 4th viable option to spot some minutes, while we sort through the best way to manage the scholarships, which specifically means Doucoure and others.

None of these items were in play when Doucoure verballed and the original "rumor" was started....Ideally, you don't have to reclassify the prospect back to 2017, but it was not a rumor, it was legitimately considered as an option....

So salty. Thank you for laying the dynamics of the roster out for me... I like you, am aware of points A,B,C,D,E. Nor did I ever say it would be BAD to have Doucoure in 2017. It would be absolutely fantastic! However there has been no proof outside of these message boards (that I have seen) of him reclassifying. If you can find something not in a forum as proof (and from a reputable website) I will apologize and say i'm wrong. Not trying to be a jerk, I really am interested to read it - so please do pass along.

FWIW - here is a ZAGSBLOG post from February where the title speaks to the topic, and the first sentence of the article is "Mamadou Doucoure plans to make an impact on the defensive end from the moment he steps on the Rutgers campus beginning in the 2018-19 season."

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/02/14/mamadou-doucoure-anxious-help-rutgers-beginning-2018/

Also Hawk, I hope First Investors Bank knows how much time you spend typing legitimate novels on these forums during the work day. I know you have a lot of respect around here, but your response here is pretty off base from what I said. You're better than that.

That really does not prove anything.

Not sure who you are or what your problem is.....this was not a rumor.....it was presented as a potential OPTION not by me, not by someone out of the sky, but from multiple and I classify multiple as more than 4 or 5, different places as a viable option for the staff.

That does not mean it will or is guaranteed to happen, but the likelihood at the time of the verbal was legitimate and accurate.....That does not mean it would have been the best move or something, but if you have an issue with it, sign up for premium, pass the required fee, research the information posted by the moderators and feel free to discuss afterwards.....

This is not limited to this message board, it was mentioned well beyond this website as well.....if this isn't good enough for you, not sure what else to tell you.....and your answer cannot be 6 months after the verbal has occurred, that it is a rumor because it has not happened yet....

6 months ago, the dynamics of the roster was completely different.....

A) Diallo was on and off again health wise and in the lineup

B) Doorson was in a boot most of spring last year and is in a boot again this spring, so you have no idea where he would be after this past season and how limited he was as well.

C) We did not have any other bigs committed, although we tried with a couple of JUCO's, none panned out.

D) We lucked into landing Myles Johnson, less than a month ago, after a strong spring circuit on AAU and secured his commitment.

E) Luke Nathan, while absolutely not a prospect that would land on any Power 5 big man lists, is now a 4th viable option to spot some minutes, while we sort through the best way to manage the scholarships, which specifically means Doucoure and others.

None of these items were in play when Doucoure verballed and the original "rumor" was started....Ideally, you don't have to reclassify the prospect back to 2017, but it was not a rumor, it was legitimately considered as an option....

So salty. Thank you for laying the dynamics of the roster out for me... I like you, am aware of points A,B,C,D,E. Nor did I ever say it would be BAD to have Doucoure in 2017. It would be absolutely fantastic! However there has been no proof outside of these message boards (that I have seen) of him reclassifying. If you can find something not in a forum as proof (and from a reputable website) I will apologize and say i'm wrong. Not trying to be a jerk, I really am interested to read it - so please do pass along.

FWIW - here is a ZAGSBLOG post from February where the title speaks to the topic, and the first sentence of the article is "Mamadou Doucoure plans to make an impact on the defensive end from the moment he steps on the Rutgers campus beginning in the 2018-19 season."

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/02/14/mamadou-doucoure-anxious-help-rutgers-beginning-2018/

Also Hawk, I hope First Investors Bank knows how much time you spend typing legitimate novels on these forums during the work day. I know you have a lot of respect around here, but your response here is pretty off base from what I said. You're better than that.
This is you NOT trying to be a jerk?

They do a GREAT JOB on Football, but, I would not put too much stock into what you read on the Round Table regarding Basketball.....the last time this same issue came up about 1 month ago.... BK said he was not aware of this being an option for 2017. Of course, something may have changed in the last 30 days.

Reactions: jrh51 and MV9000
I think Rutgers is top three if not top two for Montez Mathis. And he is a great player. You could go with Baker, Kiss, and Mathis and be very confident.

We're doing better than "Top Two" with Mathis, right now.

Things could change though.

Reactions: MV9000
Is he capable? He can definitely improve, but what is his ceiling?

I think Thiam's potential is scary good. When I saw him last season at 6'6" plus starting as a true freshman guard weighing a buck o' five, I realized that Pike has a vision for him. He has great feet and shot when he's set and not shooting rushed and like he's being guarded by a six footer. I have no doubt he'll be stronger and have more weight. If he gets aggressive taking it to the hoop and he lets it fly from the perimeter and 3 pt line I think this kid is a 15-18 pts/game player. I'm looking forward to a stronger more confident, agressive and more comfortable Thiam that will on occasion score 20+ points. Really looking forward to him taking the next step.

GO RU
I think Thiam breaks out this year. He can shoot but that's not good enough in the conference. You need to get to an open spot faster than you ever dreamed possible and shoot with very little time to launch. That takes a season to adjust for most. I think the strength and conditioning will help him take that next step and he got his feet wet last year. Ask Mike Williams how difficult the transition was to make?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
And Greene...if you can get Jackson AND Mathis....this is what you have for 2019

I am going to say this again and again

I wasn't crazy about some of the ball movement from Corey and Nigel (more Nigel than Corey) but a LOT of that had to do with how much help defense there was for the guy with the ball because of the lack of respect for the shot outside.

Floor spacing will be much better for ball movement when we make defenders have to respect the dish options in the wing

What we get from thiam and baker from the outside and mike with a healthy hand will determine a lot of how much easier the half court offense will be to run and how much faster the ball movement will be this year

Reactions: LC-88 and Scangg
They have been silent since stating 7 times he is not reclassifying.

We're doing better than "Top Two" with Mathis, right now.

Things could change though.

This is stuff i like to hear. I think him and Pike + Staff are mentally on the same page with their vision for how he wants to do college ball.

The mods did not state definitively that he is not reclassifying. They specifically stated that it was an option. The option will exist until we land a grad transfer. This is not rocket science..not sure why there are those on here who want to blow smoke up our asses that for some reason it is 100% impossible.

The mods did not state definitively that he is not reclassifying. The option will exist until we land a grad transfer. This is not rocket science..not sure why there are those on here who want to blow smoke up our asses that for some reason it is 100% impossible.
I'm not gonna argue with you because we all know where that goes. Why don't you ask the mods yourself. They will gladly restate what I wrote again.

I'm not gonna argue with you because we all know where that goes. Why don't you ask the mods yourself. They will gladly restate what I wrote again.
No thank you..I assume were gonna land a grad transfer anyway. I see no reason mamadou couldn't be a midyear enrollee though

After some uncertainty immediately after he committed, I've been pretty solid that Doucoure would stay Class of 18. That's been confirmed by many sources many times over since.

He's not enrolling mid year either. Not sure why this is still a thing for some...

If there are further additions to the roster prior to the season (there will be at least one) it won't be MD.

Thank you Brian for clarifying. This is exactly what I have been saying forever as well. Hopefully this can finally be put to rest.

Thank you Brian for clarifying. This is exactly what I have been saying forever as well. Hopefully this can finally be put to rest.

Most people have said it. Once again, everyone should know this and let it sink in........if you want insight into basketball listen to BK...not the "99% Football only" mods.

And Greene...if you can get Jackson AND Mathis....this is what you have for 2019

I am going to say this again and again

I wasn't crazy about some of the ball movement from Corey and Nigel (more Nigel than Corey) but a LOT of that had to do with how much help defense there was for the guy with the ball because of the lack of respect for the shot outside.
WRONG WRONG WRONG.....it was because they knew he would never pass. Never! Granted it is very easy to make the bounce pass to Freeman for a dunk (or missed layup) when watching on DVR in slow motion. the biggest misconception is the primary reason sanders assist numbers were low was because of lack of shooters. lack of vision.

Willingness to compete on every possession, and respect for the coaches. Play with some much needed swag as well. I am not just looking at ppg. More so, what a program like Rutgers needs. Kiss is the kind of kid you take a risk on.

No doubt going from the focal point of the offense to a smaller piece is going to help him. While he was on the floor (and he led Quinnipiac in that), 25% of their possessions ended with him (either from a make, a non-rebounded miss, or a turnover). The key is going to be how much he can improve his efficiency stats (fewer turnovers and a higher 3P%) when he's not running the show.

After some uncertainty immediately after he committed, I've been pretty solid that Doucoure would stay Class of 18. That's been confirmed by many sources many times over since.

He's not enrolling mid year either. Not sure why this is still a thing for some...

If there are further additions to the roster prior to the season (there will be at least one) it won't be MD.
Thanks BK

@AshCatchEm

@NewJerseyHawk @Scangg

Last edited:
AT LEAST 1 is what i think he said.

don't want to speculate with names but there are only a few of #1 thru #12

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT