ADVERTISEMENT

Vance Jackson Update

If he has a top
WRONG WRONG WRONG.....it was because they knew he would never pass. Never! Granted it is very easy to make the bounce pass to Freeman for a dunk (or missed layup) when watching on DVR in slow motion. the biggest misconception is the primary reason sanders assist numbers were low was because of lack of shooters. lack of vision.

Sanders is not the only person on the team last year that wouldn't pass to an open man. It happens all over the place. It's a combination of trust and awareness. It's not all on Sanders.

No doubt going from the focal point of the offense to a smaller piece is going to help him. While he was on the floor (and he led Quinnipiac in that), 25% of their possessions ended with him (either from a make, a non-rebounded miss, or a turnover). The key is going to be how much he can improve his efficiency stats (fewer turnovers and a higher 3P%) when he's not running the show.

Definitely.

We're doing better than "Top Two" with Mathis, right now.

Things could change though.

Until he signs, there is always time for anything. If he has a top 8, he is not a secure get yet. Too early to be so confident, unless you know something the fans don't know.

LOL what is your point, you are actually making an issue out of something that was timing specific.....did you read BK's first sentence of the post he made....?? It essentially agrees with what was mentioned months ago (that there was a potential for this to happen) when the verbal was announced....it ties out to what everyone else mentioned (and mods mentioned as well)....is that not clear in the response??

Reactions: Scangg
LOL what is your point, you are actually making an issue out of something that was timing specific.....did you read BK's first sentence of the post he made....?? It essentially agrees with what was mentioned months ago (that there was a potential for this to happen) when the verbal was announced....it ties out to what everyone else mentioned (and mods mentioned as well)....is that not clear in the response??

I'm not making an issue out of anything. Just posted to make sure we all saw his response. I appreciate BK weighing in. Get your panties out of a bunch, big guy.

I'm not making an issue out of anything. Just posted to make sure we all saw his response. I appreciate BK weighing in. Get your panties out of a bunch, big guy.

It's not Hawk who has his panties in a bunch. BK's post supports the fact that the reclassification was not some fiction drummed up on this board, as some on here claim.

Last edited:

We're cool....no issues here.....BK is close to the action, but there are a lot of others that are as well

Reactions: PaKnight and jrh51
Most people have said it. Once again, everyone should know this and let it sink in........if you want insight into basketball listen to BK...not the "99% Football only" mods.

So,

You're saying the prediction made by Bobby about a 2018 recruit today in Ask The Staff should be disregarded as he isn't as knowledgeable as BK? I really am confused as I pay for premium for insights into our football and basketball recruiting and now we are being told our staff writers don't know what they're talking about in regards to basketball

So,

You're saying the prediction made by Bobby about a 2018 recruit today in Ask The Staff should be disregarded as he isn't as knowledgeable as BK? I really am confused as I pay for premium for insights into our football and basketball recruiting and now we are being told our staff writers don't know what they're talking about in regards to basketball

I am not telling you anything about what the Staff Writers know about basketball. It's my opinion. I don't judge or rate what they do on the Round Table...but, I do know that in any given week that board is probably 98%+ Rutgers Football and the posters there are mostly there to get Football news. It should not be a secret that the Round Table is OVERWHELMINGLY about Football. I think the Mods over there would probably admit it if you really asked them.

Why would it surprise you that a Basketball only Mod may have better insider information than the guys that focus on football?

Last edited:
I am not telling you anything about what the Staff Writers know about basketball. It's my opinion. I don't judge or rate what they do on the Round Table...but, I do know that in any given week that board is probably 98%+ Rutgers Football and the posters there are mostly there to get Football news. It should not be a secret that the Round Table is OVERWHELMINGLY about Football. I think the Mods over there would probably admit it if you really asked them.

Why would it surprise you that a Basketball only Mod may have better insider information than the guys that focus on football?

Well,

Because they are admins on the Round Table who act like they're plugged into recruiting and I take them as knowing what is going on. Isn't that why you and I pay for premium content?

Well,

Because they are admins on the Round Table who act like they're plugged into recruiting and I take them as knowing what is going on. Isn't that why you and I pay for premium content?

Personally, For me........I pay $9.99 per month for the Premium Content for Football News and Information.

The primary reason I pay for premium is not content related but simply to support John and the site for the many years of enjoyment I've derived from it, even though I've always been more of a lurker than a poster!

Reactions: RutgHoops
We have a great staff of writers and mods here that have kept this site THE place for RU news and conversation for too long for me to remember how long it's been that way!

Basketball just isn't football...We aren't recruiting hundreds of kids with an army of staff on this side of things. Football news is less complicated....There's more of it and easier to digest.

I'm very happy to help provide some perspective when needed about things...But by and large, you aren't going to beat what this site brings you as a Rutgers sports fan... And that's most assuredly a team effort!

We have a great staff of writers and mods here that have kept this site THE place for RU news and conversation for too long for me to remember how long it's been that way!

Basketball just isn't football...We aren't recruiting hundreds of kids with an army of staff on this side of things. Football news is less complicated....There's more of it and easier to digest.

I'm very happy to help provide some perspective when needed about things...But by and large, you aren't going to beat what this site brings you as a Rutgers sports fan... And that's most assuredly a team effort!

BK - always classy! Enjoy every post and nugget of info you provide to us all! Thanks!

It's not Hawk who has his panties in a bunch. BK's post supports the fact that the reclassification was not some fiction drummed up on this board, as some on here claim.
Lol exactly. He was proven wrong and posting like it validated his point.

And Greene...if you can get Jackson AND Mathis....this is what you have for 2019

I am going to say this again and again

I wasn't crazy about some of the ball movement from Corey and Nigel (more Nigel than Corey) but a LOT of that had to do with how much help defense there was for the guy with the ball because of the lack of respect for the shot outside.
WRONG WRONG WRONG.....it was because they knew he would never pass. Never! Granted it is very easy to make the bounce pass to Freeman for a dunk (or missed layup) when watching on DVR in slow motion. the biggest misconception is the primary reason sanders assist numbers were low was because of lack of shooters. lack of vision.
No. It was bc we were among the worst shooting teams out there. Even in pick up bball people learn if someone can't shoot to sag off and clog the lane. I'm sure that's what the scouting report and other coaches were telling their players.

If we can't go into the B1G schedule playing over the rim we are going to be playing from behind. Gettys couldn't do it and Freeman can't. We need long tall guys that can elevate and at least one three point stud. It would also help if science found a cure for our free throw shooting.

It is strange how he didn't even mention RU in the video. He has a friend at New Mexico so somehow I think that will be his choice but I could be wrong.

Unless we are getting the Illinois State grad transfer gotta hope we get Jackson and there would be some real post season hope for 2018.

Strongly agree to disagree ...,

Jackson would be great to have, the New Mexico article written by their beat writer has RU as a school under consideration, but the edited video doesn't.....in any event, Washington took another player yesterday and may be out of ships now and I'm not sure about the other schools.....

New Mexico has two spots, Baylor may have one current opening (with other transfer options beyond Jackson being considered)....Jackson is not going to make or break 2018's recruiting season, there are plenty of wings being considered that would be able to contribute at a high level. But I think Jackson can be a star at RU, but not everyone sees the bigger picture......Top flight league, elite competition, front court minutes to replace Freeman and ability to score inside and from 3.....almost certainly a starter from Day one in the front court......in this market, he would he a household name if he comes to work every day.

Combine Jackson with a potential verbal of Mathis and perhaps the PG from Virginia visiting RU tomorrow in Mac McClung and there would be plenty of optimism on the Banks.....Mathis and McClung alone would make my summer complete, if we get Jackson, great, consider that the icing on the cake ....if not, 1000% confident we'll get a player on the wing that can help in 2018.

Jackson would be great to have, the New Mexico article written by their beat writer has RU as a school under consideration, but the edited video doesn't.....in any event, Washington took another player yesterday and may be out of ships now and I'm not sure about the other schools.....

New Mexico has two spots, Baylor may have one current opening (with other transfer options beyond Jackson being considered)....Jackson is not going to make or break 2018's recruiting season, there are plenty of wings being considered that would be able to contribute at a high level. But I think Jackson can be a star at RU, but not everyone sees the bigger picture......Top flight league, elite competition, front court minutes to replace Freeman and ability to score inside and from 3.....almost certainly a starter from Day one in the front court......in this market, he would he a household name if he comes to work every day.

Combine Jackson with a potential verbal of Mathis and perhaps the PG from Virginia visiting RU tomorrow in Mac McClung and there would be plenty of optimism on the Banks.....Mathis and McClung alone would make my summer complete, if we get Jackson, great, consider that the icing on the cake ....if not, 1000% confident we'll get a player on the wing that can help in 2018.
Hawk always appreciate your posts. Thanks.

He cancelled his Baylor trip and is now visiting TCU.
yes, that was on twitter yesterday, I don't think RU is in play here and Jackson is looking for something specific with his next destination. TCU had a strong finish to their season and won the NIT, blowing out GTECH in the final....Jamie Dixon is doing well in Fort Worth and has a lot of work to do to climb the Big 12 standings.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Would love to see Mensah be the starting PG by conference time with Corey at two guard, He was a PG by default.
TL

Corey is going to be the starting PG, he may see some time off the ball. If he wants an opportunity to play in a the NBA, it is going to be at PG.

Pretty sure no one's pushing up on the guards on a team that shoots 30% from 3 point range. Hard to make bounce passes when the lane is clogged against dribble penetration because your guards can't shoot.

Damn shame. Good luck to him either way. We need to lock up Mathis and another long forward

I honestly think the staff has been targeting someone for this year for a while. I could be wrong and maybe they did really want Jackson. I guess we'll see how they fill the last roster spot.

Rumor has it we are doing very well with Mathis. Very well. That may mean we are shifting our attention to help the 2017 team rather than taking someone like Jackson that needs to redshirt-we need a backup big man in the worst way. We have zero shot at being close to.500 this year without one.

ADVERTISEMENT