ADVERTISEMENT

What is Chris Ash's Vision??

Yikes, now the criticism on this board is the fault of why we are having a hard time recruiting. Now that's BS.

I genuinely spit out my coffee laughing. So let me get this straight, some of our fans actually think what people say on an anonymous free message board actually has a legitimate impact on recruiting... wow.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
One word isn't a vision.

Based on results after they started using the tag line... you are wrong. 2 straight top 10 finishes and a top 5 recruiting class coming in but there’s no vision there... smfh.

Rather than just continue this idea of trashing psu bc you don’t like them, perhaps take some notice of how they’ve built themselves back up so quickly. I’m not resolving them of any past sins, I’m just talking the surge back up to national prominence in just 3-4 years really. Their coach is everywhere, he is the face, he outlines a clear vision, he talks about winning championships and getting and education more than any other coach I’ve seen lately... the results speak for themselves.

But if you want to continue this rah rah of ‘**** penn state’ while completely ignoring what they are building over their, meanwhile defending a coach who has terrible game management skills, can not coach offense to save his life, has won 3 conference games over 2 seasons, has created no buzz amoung the local community, rely’s on his AD Hobbs to be the ‘face’ of the program and yes, allowed 78-0, 56-0 etc to happen... ur just going to be disappointed. Time to change ship now, cut our losses and bring in a guy like mike houston who has been dominant as a HC at the fcs level (we are going to attract any current P5 coaches or former HC’s with any national stain, get the up and comer. And build a vision

Reactions: cRURah
*Looks at new weight room, new practice field*

...guess at least the boosters get the ‘vision’...

Joe P,

*Looks at the results on the field and on the recruiting trail*

But yea there’s vision there when you have the 50th ranked recruiting class and the rest of your division is killing it and in 2 seasons he has mustered 1 win against teams in our own division and that team was playing with their 3rd string QB...

Boy I feel optimistic with chris ash at the helm!

Reactions: cRURah
*Looks at the results on the field and on the recruiting trail*

But yea there’s vision there when you have the 50th ranked recruiting class and the rest of your division is killing it and in 2 seasons he has mustered 1 win against teams in our own division and that team was playing with their 3rd string QB...

Boy I feel optimistic with chris ash at the helm!

Forgot how awesome Schiano did those first few years too. You and Al are agenda posters (with Al also having a chronic need for attention) so there’s no point in even trying to have an actual discussion. You’ll just filter out whatever doesn’t support your stance as if it doesn’t exist. The fact that y’all are basically insinuating that Franklin ‘invented’ PSU’s winning imagine (and Al continues to troll with asinine Flood arguments) is f’n hysterical.

Joe P.

Oh for f*cks sake JUST SHUT UP.

This thread is why fans of other programs point and laugh. Seriously.

Root for the team, or don't.

Go to the games, or don't.

But five pages on "vision statements"?

Just win the f*ckin' games. Some of you guys act like we're paying Ash to sell Buicks. Me, I couldn't care less what Penn State has painted on the walls of their locker room. I just want to win games.

The most important component of a First Class Program is processes and people.
Schiano built a First Class Program, that lost its status towards the end of the Flood era. The consecutive bowl trips and numbers of personnel that went to the NFL were evidence of the programs prowess.

So, building a First Class program wasn't a vision, but it was a short term goal and priority #1, that was accomplished in short order. Installing Chris Parker and the S&C staff, plus ensuring better discipline and accountability ensured that Rutgers was again a First Class program. Would have been impossible to recruit against OSU and PSU, if we were to admit that we're a second class program. At least we got Micah.

It wasn't a mockery for Schiano and Flood to talk about Championships because through their efforts, Rutgers won a share of the Big East Championship in 2012, and should have won it in 2006, if not for a blown call in the West Virginia Game. That was quite a journey from being the dregs of college football in 2000. How did he do it? He sold recruits on championships and got them to believe in his vision. And thankfully enough players believed in his vision. Till Schiano, winning football at Rutgers was an abstract notion. I still remember a former player saying, "Schiano sold that sht real good"

But I understand that you consider it to be his vision, so fair enough, we can move on.

Penn States so called schtick has brought them results. It is arrogant, but I think successful football recruits, like Micah Parsons, one of the Top recruits from 2018, find it appealing, because they see themselves a breed apart. Having dealt with top recruits at another university, many moons ago, i've found them to be naturally arrogant. they have reason to be, being the best of the best, and having numerous colleges fawning over them.

James Franklin has delivered results and i think it all starts with unrivaled, an attitude thats project everywhere. Consistently strong recruiting classes, a Big Ten Championship in '16, and competitiveness for the Big Ten Championship in '17. Unrivaled projects an aura of exclusivity and aspiration for excellence to me.

Now we are starting to agree on some things. We will never be like Penn State, with a cult following, a stadium that seats over 100,000 fans and regularly sells out. Penn State is one of the blue bloods of college football. While college football was born at Rutgers, we are still an upstart P5 program. And you think we should be on their level?

You post gave me an idea for a Rutgers slogan.

WE R NOT PENN STATE

Last edited:
Reactions: RutHut
Based on results after they started using the tag line... you are wrong. 2 straight top 10 finishes and a top 5 recruiting class coming in but there’s no vision there... smfh.

Rather than just continue this idea of trashing psu bc you don’t like them, perhaps take some notice of how they’ve built themselves back up so quickly. I’m not resolving them of any past sins, I’m just talking the surge back up to national prominence in just 3-4 years really. Their coach is everywhere, he is the face, he outlines a clear vision, he talks about winning championships and getting and education more than any other coach I’ve seen lately... the results speak for themselves.

But if you want to continue this rah rah of ‘**** penn state’ while completely ignoring what they are building over their, meanwhile defending a coach who has terrible game management skills, can not coach offense to save his life, has won 3 conference games over 2 seasons, has created no buzz amoung the local community, rely’s on his AD Hobbs to be the ‘face’ of the program and yes, allowed 78-0, 56-0 etc to happen... ur just going to be disappointed. Time to change ship now, cut our losses and bring in a guy like mike houston who has been dominant as a HC at the fcs level (we are going to attract any current P5 coaches or former HC’s with any national stain, get the up and comer. And build a vision
Good idea get an up and comer and build a vision kinda guy like Ash. You do realize what he took over although the fact you only have 20 some posts tells me your new to the board and may not have read what’s been going on for the last 2 n half years. Really naive to say cut losses after 2 years.

In 2014, we had a QB, we had Fridge as OC, and we had a chance to beat anyone. Once Nova graduated, our Big Ten competitiveness left the building, and has yet to return.

Flood followed the Schiano template which had already been proven to work, and did the best he could, so there was a comfort level with what he was doing, until we found out that things weren't going as well as thought.

Chris Ash brought his own Template, which is fair enough, and frankly I didn't feel comfortable with many of the decisions that he made, but for the most part kept quiet, though I complain a lot regarding our lack of FL recruiting, because I think its such a flagrant mistake. So now that its almost halfway through his guaranteed tenure (2 seasons and 3 recruiting classes), its fair to assess where we are. These are a few of the biggest concerns I have.
  • Our 2018 class was worse than our 2017 class
  • Our 2018 class had 4 NJ recruits
  • Boston College has as many 2018 NJ signees as Rutgers
  • In 2015 Kyle Flood beat Indiana 55-52; In 2017 Chris Ash loses to Indiana 41-0
  • It's year 3, and we don't have an established QB yet
  • Ash's best season is equivalent to Flood's worst, though he's getting paid double
  • Defensive Line has little depth, and things could get worse with graduations
  • Assistants leaving in droves
Now if things were going well, then there's no need for questions. But things aren't going as well as expected, so it is appropriate to raise questions. The biggest red flag in my mind, is that recruiting should be getting better each year. In 2018, it slipped. Though its not the be all end all, i think having a clear coherent vision would help.

2019 recruiting has to rebound in a big way, especially instate. Thankfully so far it looks like it will, with the commitments and hiring of new coaches. But the jury is out. Need to see better results on the recruiting trail, otherwise it will be difficult for Rutgers to succeed.

I agree with most of what you said.
But you nailed it right at the beginning of your post. We HAD a QB. We have not had a QB since Gary Nova left. I think that for all of his warts (and hatred from some in our fanbase), Laviano was serviceable. He should not have been cast aside the way he was, and we should have slowly transitioned to the spread offense. Yes, that is on Ash and whomever he had as his OC. And that is partly why recruiting this year took a step back--our offense was anemic, and we lost at least one or two positions players because of it. IIRC, one even committed to Purdue after we beat them, probably because he liked what he saw in their offensive game plan. But we beat them, so ha, ha to that.

2014 was also interesting for another reason--the Fridge effect. I wonder if things would have been different if Hobbs was AD in 2011-12, and he put the horsepower and money behind Flood the way he has done with Ash. But frankly, I don't think Hobbs would have hired him in the first place. I have said this multiple times, and probably at least twice in this thread--you take a guy who was way underqualified to be a HC, and you give him a peanuts budget to hire a bunch of outcasts for coordinators and coaches, and what the heck would you expect except the results we saw. People love to complain about Flood, but the complaints should go straight to Barchi, the BOG and that circus sideshow of an AD who kept putting her foot in her mouth. I am not excusing Flood for what he did, but no wonder he started cutting corners and wearing disguises in Princeton to try to keep his best player on the team. Desperate people do desperate and stupid things. Hell, if it were me, I would have walked into Barchi's office and demanded a better assistant coaching salary pool and submitted my resignation if he did not agree. Flood was in a no-win situation--innately not equipped to be a head coach, and with his budget and the stink around the program and RU athletics with a clown for an AD, he could not attract or retain decent assistants. Barchi and the BOG reaped what they sowed.

But it's funny, in your post you talk about lack of depth and the 2017 Indiana result. Why do you think that happened? Could it be because of not only crappy recruiting but losing an entire recruiting class to arrests, dismissals, transfers, etc.? Yes, 41-0 was shocking and looked bad, and maybe it could have been better. But I am not going to use that one loss to define Chris Ash or any coach.

I say it a lot here. Don't look back. Move forward. Chris Ash knows better than any poster here that he made some mistakes and a bad hire for his first OC, and that hurt his initial results. The parts are now in place. A QB room full of QBs that have potential, and a REAL OC who has experience in coaching up QBs to ignite the offense. And Lester Erb moved to his position of coaching strength at WRs. Campanile and Robinson (hope he actually is coming) are going to kill it in recruiting NJ, South Jersey and DMV. Give it a chance, and stop being a boo bird.

Good idea get an up and comer and build a vision kinda guy like Ash. You do realize what he took over although the fact you only have 20 some posts tells me your new to the board and may not have read what’s been going on for the last 2 n half years. Really naive to say cut losses after 2 years.

I realize what he took over sure, I’m not defending what Kyle flood did to the program on his way out and it was always going to be an uphill battle for whoever came in. What I’m concerned about is what we’ve seen from Ash particularly in game management and playcalling.

I’ll just say this, I believe a bowl game this year should be the benchmark of success. We won 4 games las year, I believe another 2 in year 3 is not too much to ask. Our schedule is interesting this year but November is brutal, but if we can pull it off I’ll gladly eat crow

I realize what he took over sure, I’m not defending what Kyle flood did to the program on his way out and it was always going to be an uphill battle for whoever came in. What I’m concerned about is what we’ve seen from Ash particularly in game management and playcalling.

I’ll just say this, I believe a bowl game this year should be the benchmark of success. We won 4 games las year, I believe another 2 in year 3 is not too much to ask. Our schedule is interesting this year but November is brutal, but if we can pull it off I’ll gladly eat crow
Go back and read your post. You said time to cut losses now. Do you really think bringing in a new coach now changes anything within 2 years of their hire. I don’t but I do think 2 more years of Ash and staff will be ahead of where any new coach would be at that time. If you have followed MANY posts on here you would know the answer given by the coaching staff with regards to play calling was we install a game plan for what we think gives us the best chance to win.

Go back and read your post. You said time to cut losses now. Do you really think bringing in a new coach now changes anything within 2 years of their hire. I don’t but I do think 2 more years of Ash and staff will be ahead of where any new coach would be at that time. If you have followed MANY posts on here you would know the answer given by the coaching staff with regards to play calling was we install a game plan for what we think gives us the best chance to win.
Interpretation. We don’t have the horses to do some things we would like to

Thank you, KnightShift, but after further review, these nebulous statements do not constitute a vision, which Coach has chosen not to release. The tipoff is when he says, "Our Mission Statement--It Won't include". The Mission Statement typically includes a statement of vision and values.

@MYHATINTHERING said it best that if you have to look up the vision, it isn't a vision. You don't HAVE to talk about championships in your vision.

Penn State has a very powerful vision. UNRIVALED Simple, Powerful, Effective enough to build a whole marketing campaign around, and they use it everywhere.

13320-DEFAULT-m.jpg

10253037.jpeg

images

will-fries_cg2xmi.jpg

LOL @ Al!!! What's next Al?? A mission and values statement too????

Reactions: Knight Shift
I agree with most of what you said.
But you nailed it right at the beginning of your post. We HAD a QB. We have not had a QB since Gary Nova left. I think that for all of his warts (and hatred from some in our fanbase), Laviano was serviceable. He should not have been cast aside the way he was, and we should have slowly transitioned to the spread offense. Yes, that is on Ash and whomever he had as his OC. And that is partly why recruiting this year took a step back--our offense was anemic, and we lost at least one or two positions players because of it. IIRC, one even committed to Purdue after we beat them, probably because he liked what he saw in their offensive game plan. But we beat them, so ha, ha to that.

2014 was also interesting for another reason--the Fridge effect. I wonder if things would have been different if Hobbs was AD in 2011-12, and he put the horsepower and money behind Flood the way he has done with Ash. But frankly, I don't think Hobbs would have hired him in the first place. I have said this multiple times, and probably at least twice in this thread--you take a guy who was way underqualified to be a HC, and you give him a peanuts budget to hire a bunch of outcasts for coordinators and coaches, and what the heck would you expect except the results we saw. People love to complain about Flood, but the complaints should go straight to Barchi, the BOG and that circus sideshow of an AD who kept putting her foot in her mouth. I am not excusing Flood for what he did, but no wonder he started cutting corners and wearing disguises in Princeton to try to keep his best player on the team. Desperate people do desperate and stupid things. Hell, if it were me, I would have walked into Barchi's office and demanded a better assistant coaching salary pool and submitted my resignation if he did not agree. Flood was in a no-win situation--innately not equipped to be a head coach, and with his budget and the stink around the program and RU athletics with a clown for an AD, he could not attract or retain decent assistants. Barchi and the BOG reaped what they sowed.

But it's funny, in your post you talk about lack of depth and the 2017 Indiana result. Why do you think that happened? Could it be because of not only crappy recruiting but losing an entire recruiting class to arrests, dismissals, transfers, etc.? Yes, 41-0 was shocking and looked bad, and maybe it could have been better. But I am not going to use that one loss to define Chris Ash or any coach.

I say it a lot here. Don't look back. Move forward. Chris Ash knows better than any poster here that he made some mistakes and a bad hire for his first OC, and that hurt his initial results. The parts are now in place. A QB room full of QBs that have potential, and a REAL OC who has experience in coaching up QBs to ignite the offense. And Lester Erb moved to his position of coaching strength at WRs. Campanile and Robinson (hope he actually is coming) are going to kill it in recruiting NJ, South Jersey and DMV. Give it a chance, and stop being a boo bird.

Great post

Now we are starting to agree on some things. We will never be like Penn State, with a cult following, a stadium that seats over 100,000 fans and regularly sells out. Penn State is one of the blue bloods of college football. While college football was born at Rutgers, we are still an upstart P5 program. And you think we should be on their level?

WE R NOT PENN STATE
R Should be a block R. Less salmon and more deep scarlet red.

Reactions: ATIOH and madchuck
Great post

The school admins should share at least half the blame and while I don’t necessarily fault Flood for taking the job, he also basically went ‘hey, I’m just happy to be here; you can do whatever’. When Schiano was hired, he (as like our 3rd or 4th choice- something else so many love to forget) had the intuition to tell Rutgers, “you need to expand the Hale Center, expand academic support, expand our budget or else I ain’t coming.” He also has the ambition to tell the school, ‘expand the Stadium or I’m gone’. Ash also said, “you have to expand our assistant money pool, update practice facilities, redo s&c and nutrition, try to insulate against possible NCAA issues or I ain’t coming.” To me that shows intuition, planning and vision. Now, you wanna say he’s not the right guy, different argument...but I think half the posts in this thread are so beyond stupid with such inane ‘points’ that make no real sense there aren’t enough words in the English language to describe them.

Joe P.

Last edited:

I gots yo vision statement right hea!

FOCUS!!!

concentration2_zpsb1qzacxc.gif

I agree with most of what you said. But you nailed it right at the beginning of your post. We HAD a QB. We have not had a QB since Gary Nova left. I think that for all of his warts (and hatred from some in our fanbase), Laviano was serviceable. He should not have been cast aside the way he was, and we should have slowly transitioned to the spread offense.
How many QB's did we run off with that philosophy and Drew Mehringer as our OC?
I wonder if things would have been different if Hobbs was AD in 2011-12, and he put the horsepower and money behind Flood the way he has done with Ash. But frankly, I don't think Hobbs would have hired him in the first place. I have said this multiple times, and probably at least twice in this thread--you take a guy who was way underqualified to be a HC, and you give him a peanuts budget to hire a bunch of outcasts for coordinators and coaches, and what the heck would you expect except the results we saw. People love to complain about Flood, but the complaints should go straight to Barchi, the BOG and that circus sideshow of an AD who kept putting her foot in her mouth.
The administration really resented the money Schiano was paid, so when he left they laid down a bare bones budget to hire his replacement, and even worse for the assistant coaching staff. I think this falls more on the BOG, as McCormick was still president when Schiano left. (Barchi came on on 09/2012) But the merry-go-round of assistant coaches under Flood also shows that we were just a stepping stone for most of them given we underpaid so badly. And I think if it had been Hobbs instead of Pernetti, he still would have had trouble getting the BOG to okay a higher compensation rate for Schiano's replacement due to their antipathy towards football coaches in general earning high salaries.

Oh for f*cks sake JUST SHUT UP.

Just win the f*ckin' games. Some of you guys act like we're paying Ash to sell Buicks. Me, I couldn't care less what Penn State has painted on the walls of their locker room. I just want to win games.
The football forum is in full offseason swing. Time to return to the CE board which has been awesome fun lately?

Yawn. Cheer for the enablers, then.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am perplexed by your turnaround.
Your routine was laughable and embarrassing when Flood was head coach. You used to post all this nonsensical rah, rah crap about how we were going to beat teams what we did not have a chance against.
And now you are panning Chris Ash because you mistakenly think he does not have a vision.

You are confusing vision, mission statements, taglines and slogans in your haste to toss Ash under the bus.
Unrivaled is the enablers' tagline or slogan.
RU's is The Hunt. Nobody cares if YOU like it or not.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...the_hunt_mean_let_rutgers_football_coach.html
"We're basically chasing the other teams in the Big Ten. We can't make any secret about that. To chase them, we gotta go hunt every single day. That's the theme of the offseason, that's the theme of the team right now. Whether it's in the weight room, out in the indoor (bubble) with our special workouts or in practice.''

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-a-tagline-a-slogan-and-a-mission-statement

--My quotes provided above are Chris Ash's vision statement for the program:
I WANT TO BUILD A FIRST CLASS PROGRAM.

"A vision statement is - Where are we headed?
This is what a company wants to achieve or become. A vision is a seeing term. Therefore a vision statement should be future-oriented. It’s an image of what a company wants to create. It's not what a company is, it’s what it wants to become. While mission statements among similar businesses may be very similar, vision statements should be genuinely different. It should inspire and motivate decision-making. "

Ash's Mission statement:

- I WANT TO BUILD A FAST, PHYSICAL TEAM THAT PLAYS WITH RELENTLESS EFFORT, TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM, AND PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER.

"A mission statement is - How will we get there?
This is what a company does. It is usually short (a paragraph) and easy to remember. Nevertheless, it should not be too generic that you can’t tell what sort of business its doing. Do note that businesses with similar cause may have very similar mission statements. Why is this? That's because they essentially offer the same things (services / products)."

"Understanding the difference between a tagline and a slogan is essential to coming up with the proper choice of words for your company. Confusing the two can confuse your customers.

A tagline is a short, powerful phrase that is associated with your company name. It represents the tone and feeling you want for your products or services. It is often part of your company graphics e.g. the logo and letterhead. It stays with you all the time. It'll only change when you want to totally redefine your company. In many cases the tagline becomes so well known that it is instantly recognizable."

"A slogan is slightly different. It’s also a few words that bring your company to mind, but are intended to be less long lasting. The word slogan comes from a Scottish word meaning "battle cry." Your slogan goes with the battle you are waging right now. That means slogans are often used only for one product, or one campaign. A slogan may change regularly according to your campaigns to advertise a specific aspect of a product or service, while a company tagline is used consistently for a company as a whole. Because slogans change often, they are usually current and modern. It gives an impression of being new and trendy. Some marketers refer to slogans as product taglines, as opposed to company taglines."

RU's is "The Hunt."
Yours lately seems to be THE WHINE.

Sorry for being so harsh, but some of you people are tiresome with your inane complaints. It's all there. You don't have to choose to like it. But don't say something is there when it is smacking you right in the face.

Well done!

JMU is like Pop Warner level.
Drew was "successful" there as OC. How did it go for him as a B1G OC?
Does this mean no more posts about a certain player at Lackawanna Community College, sorry, I mean Sam Houston State? [winking]

WE R NOT PENN STATE

We have over 500K living alumni, yet fewer than 3K actively donate, and that is the biggest reason why Rutgers is not on Penn States level. So our first priority is to get 10K active donors, and then we can go from there.

The potential is unlimited. If Rutgers were #10 and facing a #1 Ohio State, we could sell out Rutgers Stadium many times over.

If we can build a solid product, and better engage our alumni base, there's no reason why Rutgers can't be on Penn States level. But to build a solid product, you've got to have a clear value proposition that the best football recruits from NJ will find appealing.

In fact, in 2014, the programs were on par, aside from fanbase size. In the subsequent three years, they left us in the dust, mostly because we never adequately replaced Gary Nova.

Penn State did not always have a big stadium.

- In 1962, Beaver Stadium held 46,284 seats.
- in 1972, capacity grew to 57,538
- in 1976, capacity was 60,000
- in 1978, capacity was 76,639
- in 1980, capacity was 83,770
- in 1991, capacity was 93,967
- in 2001, capacity was 106,572

Rutgers Stadiums maximum supposedly is 80K, thanks to infrastructure constraints.

We have over 500K living alumni, yet fewer than 3K actively donate, and that is the biggest reason why Rutgers is not on Penn States level. So our first priority is to get 10K active donors, and then we can go from there.

The potential is unlimited. If Rutgers were #10 and facing a #1 Ohio State, we could sell out Rutgers Stadium many times over.

If we can build a solid product, and better engage our alumni base, there's no reason why Rutgers can't be on Penn States level. But to build a solid product, you've got to have a clear value proposition that the best football recruits from NJ will find appealing.

In fact, in 2014, the programs were on par, aside from fanbase size. In the subsequent three years, they left us in the dust, mostly because we never adequately replaced Gary Nova.

Penn State did not always have a big stadium.

- In 1962, Beaver Stadium held 46,284 seats.
- in 1972, capacity grew to 57,538
- in 1976, capacity was 60,000
- in 1978, capacity was 76,639
- in 1980, capacity was 83,770
- in 1991, capacity was 93,967
- in 2001, capacity was 106,572

Rutgers Stadiums maximum supposedly is 80K, thanks to infrastructure constraints.
Preach on, Brother AL!!!!!

He is not recruiting well enough for Rutgers to be competitive in the Big Ten, and that's the bottomline.

And that's why we lost to Indiana 41-0. There's not enough talent. Sure there's been attrition, but Rutgers should have enough talent to not lose to Indiana 41-0 and fail to demonstrate even a HINT of competitiveness. I just think its a symptom of a problem.

If his recruiting for the next three classes mirrors the last three classes, then he is unlikely to succeed.
That's not being a boobird, that's looking at the reality of our situation and projecting the next three years based on whats happened to date.

I want him to succeed because I think he's got the skills to be a great coach. So, this is not meant to be the let's bash Ash thread. This is supposed to be a how can we do things better thread.

So how do we recruit better? I think he needs to develop a more effective message so that recruits will be more inclined to consider Rutgers. I think we have everything in place to have a great football program, but our value proposition has not been articulated effectively enough. We've got a wonderful football culture which Schiano created, and Ash restored, and frankly, I don't think there's a better place for Jerseys finest to go. But jerseys best need to fully understand the value we can deliver to their football career. And i don't think they understand that, which is why many of them, like Ronnie Hickman, won't even consider Rutgers.

Now whether by luck or fortuitous timing, McNulty actually mentioned something in a article by Sargeant, which might provide the closest thing I've seen to a vision.

http://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/inde...oordinator_john_mcnul.html#incart_river_index

McNulty said. "In the end I think it’ll be like how it was before, how (Tom) Savage chose this place over Georgia or how DC Jefferson chose this place over LSU — (Rutgers) is a legitimate pro offense. It will prepare you to play at the next level.

If we take this statement, and modify it a little bit, we can come up with:

Rutgers will prepare you to play at the next level.

This is an example of a vision that is both simple, easy to remember, aspirational, inspirational, and proven. Its the closest thing to a value proposition I've seen from anyone on Ash's staff. there's nothing about championships, which makes our fans nervous. Furthermore, What college recruit doesn't think he'll be playing in the NFL? Furthermore, playing in McNulty's offense will better prepare you for the NFL than playing for Ohio State or Penn State. Its a competitive advantage for Rutgers to be able to offer this.

Which leads me to the next point. why aren't our NFL alumni involved with our recruiting? They can be, as long as a recruit initiates contact. Miami for a very long time, has had NFL alumni, like Michael Irvin, talk to recruits. We should get our alumni involved as well, as long as they are willing. Imagine Anthony Davis talking to Big John Olmstead. Devin McCourty talking to safety/cornerback prospects.

At the end of the day, I'm rooting for Ash to succeed and he can do so by improving our recruiting. Whatever he feels he needs to do, he needs to do.

Reactions: RUaMoose
And if he’s not, you will continue to sound stupid.
Lol...the next time im wrong on this board will be the first.

He's barely regarded in state
Recruiting is marginal
Can't coach or make adjustments game day
Seemingly can't hire competent coaches
Can't sell a vision much less find one
I could go on

We'll be paying him to sit home before his contract is up

Guy simply cannot coach

Very true...i think its his Midwestern personality. He's a serious, hard working coach who is still finding his footing but he has the traits one would think the fan base would appreciate. He has put together a pretty solid new staff and I anticipate improved on the field and recruiting results. Rome wasnt built in a day
3 years to put a 'solid staff' in place?

Look, at the end of the day, recruiting is what matters. without results, u need to sell a future to these kids, a vision

Al is not wrong, too many here make excuses for shitty coaching and results. Ash needs to sell a vision recruits can get behind because his results thus far are Sheaesque

Reactions: RUaMoose and cRURah
Same thing going on with Durkin in Maryland.
It took Franklin that many years at Penn State with the addition of Moorhead.
Can you give it a rest, please. We get your point. You don't like Ash.
U can't even compare Franklin.

U look retarded here, stop

U can't even compare Franklin.

U look retarded here, stop
How politically correct of you to use "retarded."
No, the point is, Penn State's results under Franklin were so-so the first couple of years.
7-6 and 7-6 is pitiful for Penn State. He trended the program down in W-L. The elite top 10 recruiting classes started in his fourth year, after Moorhead arrived.

It's a valid comparison. Penn State was not at the bottom of the mountain like Rutgers was in 2013. They were in the middle, and it took them a few years to climb back up to the top to elite level. You are too stupid to see the analogy, and I am done with you.

Reactions: RUonBrain
In 2014, we had a QB, we had Fridge as OC, and we had a chance to beat anyone. Once Nova graduated, our Big Ten competitiveness left the building, and has yet to return.

Flood followed the Schiano template which had already been proven to work, and did the best he could, so there was a comfort level with what he was doing, until we found out that things weren't going as well as thought.

Chris Ash brought his own Template, which is fair enough, and frankly I didn't feel comfortable with many of the decisions that he made, but for the most part kept quiet, though I complain a lot regarding our lack of FL recruiting, because I think its such a flagrant mistake. So now that its almost halfway through his guaranteed tenure (2 seasons and 3 recruiting classes), its fair to assess where we are. These are a few of the biggest concerns I have.
  • Our 2018 class was worse than our 2017 class
  • Our 2018 class had 4 NJ recruits
  • Boston College has as many 2018 NJ signees as Rutgers
  • In 2015 Kyle Flood beat Indiana 55-52; In 2017 Chris Ash loses to Indiana 41-0
  • It's year 3, and we don't have an established QB yet
  • Ash's best season is equivalent to Flood's worst, though he's getting paid double
  • Defensive Line has little depth, and things could get worse with graduations
  • Assistants leaving in droves
Now if things were going well, then there's no need for questions. But things aren't going as well as expected, so it is appropriate to raise questions. The biggest red flag in my mind, is that recruiting should be getting better each year. In 2018, it slipped. Though its not the be all end all, i think having a clear coherent vision would help.

2019 recruiting has to rebound in a big way, especially instate. Thankfully so far it looks like it will, with the commitments and hiring of new coaches. But the jury is out. Need to see better results on the recruiting trail, otherwise it will be difficult for Rutgers to succeed.
Agree

How politically correct of you to use "retarded."
No, the point is, Penn State's results under Franklin were so-so the first couple of years.
7-6 and 7-6 is pitiful for Penn State. He trended the program down in W-L. The elite top 10 recruiting classes started in his fourth year, after Moorhead arrived.

It's a valid comparison. Penn State was not at the bottom of the mountain like Rutgers was in 2013. They were in the middle, and it took them a few years to climb back up to the top to elite level. You are too stupid to see the analogy, and I am done with you.
Lol...u are retarded here. zero objectivity and moronic comparisons

Ash started with plenty, he's been an abysmal coach with even worse coordinators

We could learn alot from psu and Franklin in particular. his system for assistants is great and set up to not skip a beat with how psu does things. he's ahead of any issue, we play bury the head and react.

Lol that you think you’ve “never been wrong here”, then immediately say we need to follow PSU’s assistant system )like it’s some sort of groundbreaking concept to pay people a lot of money) even though they pay double what we do while basically blaming Ash all along when he has no direct control over it...exactly why I said half the posts in this thread are beyond stupid.

Joe P.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT