ADVERTISEMENT

What is Greg Schiano Worth to Rutgers??

As one of the people who was advocating for LL to come to Rutgers he is an excellent coach. It will be interesting to see how LL and Greg do with their programs over the next two years. LL is already ranked and just beat Oklahoma a couple of weeks back, Greg is still searching for that Marquee win and to get Rutgers back into the rankings. With that said there is no doubt that HCGS has this program going in the right direction and deserves a significant pay raise. It will probably happen after the season is over.

BTW here is Lance Leipolds salary for those who are interested.
roughly $5 million per year

In all, Leipold's new contract with Kansas will pay him roughly $5 million per year for the next seven years, with incentives in place for that number to grow beyond $35 million. The new deal includes a one-time $750,000 signing bonus to be paid to Leipold in one lump sum by the end of the year.Nov 29, 2022
Yea he got a new deal after last year. I like him and think he's done a wonderful job there and Kansas was as bad a situation as you could find in CFB.

But think about this as well. It's another aspect of these coaching contracts which is crazy. If MSU or whomever comes calling. does that new contract stop him from leaving? Probably not, so then what are you actually getting for giving that extension and/or salary bump?

Many times these contracts have little to no barriers to leave. Occasionally, there are prohibitive barriers but it's not something you see all too often.

I’ll wait for the middle of next season or six wins to consider giving him a raise or extension. We’ll know what he plans to do with the QB situation. Rutgers will be playing several games against the pass happy PAC 12 teams next year and the running only team won’t cut it. Even the Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan might have to change their game plan.

I wouldn’t mind paying some assistants like offensive line coach more since they help turn around the team.

Given the accelerated progress, bowl eligibility before Year 5, I think Greg Schiano deserves a little less than James Franklin money, and his salary should be
$8M per year.

In two years time, we’re going to be BETTER than OSU, PSU, and Michigan. No one else could have accomplished this.

Next year, the stadium is going to be filled, donations are going to be up, and we will be even better.
This is where you go too far Al, there is no plausible metric that says in two years, we will be better than anyone of those three

Not Recruiting , not NIL, not the Fieldhouse, not coaching, not donations, not fanbase, not anything

I certainly like where the program is headed and I’m super proud of GS and the staff for getting us to this point, but post like this reinforced the fact that you are ultimately an attention seeking clown, who, despite doing a lot of good things for the program, takes nine steps back every time you make one of these antagonistic, ridiculous posts

I’ll wait for the middle of next season or six wins to consider giving him a raise or extension. We’ll know what he plans to do with the QB situation. Rutgers will be playing several games against the pass happy PAC 12 teams next year and the running only team won’t cut it.

I wouldn’t mind paying some assistants like offensive line coach more since they help turn around the team.
Why? Those programs have shit D, lose all of their QB and have small OL/DL. We will make them look like Indiana did this year in most cases.

You don’t think we would kick USC’s ass?? They would never get the ball back.

Reactions: rutgersal
that paWhy? Those program has shit D, lose all of their QB and have small OL/DL. We will make them look like Indiana did this year in most cases.

You don’t think we would kick USC’s ass?? They would never get the ball back.
Ok, if it’s true then we give the extension and more bucks. I don’t know if they have terrible defense since they are competing against teams that pass 60-75% of the time.

I’m not sold on the PAC-12 outside of Oregon…

I would definitely give GS more to the $7.5M mark and then if he has a certain record next year gets an extra $1M added on for each year.
If you agree with the above post by esway 1 then we can wait. Schiano is not leaving tomorrow.

If you agree with the above post by esway 1 then we can wait. Schiano is not leaving tomorrow.
Do we really need to wait though? Make a statement and just get the deal done. It’s just a matter of respect…. Are we really worried about GS falling on his face? He has nearly 20 years of proof he can get it done here already.

We need to show some confidence and respect for what he has done and stop the Mickey Mouse nickel and diming. He has earned at least another 3 years and bump to be on par with Fickell’s salary and pool for staff. Don’t forget Wisconsin is much cheaper to live.

Last edited:
This is where you go too far Al, there is no plausible metric that says in two years, we will be better than anyone of those three

Not Recruiting , not NIL, not the Fieldhouse, not coaching, not donations, not fanbase, not anything

I certainly like where the program is headed and I’m super proud of GS and the staff for getting us to this point, but post like this reinforced the fact that you are ultimately an attention seeking clown, who, despite doing a lot of good things for the program, takes nine steps back every time you make one of these antagonistic, ridiculous posts
Of course there’s no plausible metric because metrics look backwards. I’m looking forward. The analysis is qualitative not quantitative.

Do we really need to wait though? Make a statement and just get the deal done. It’s just a matter of respect…. Are we really worried about GS falling on his face? He has nearly 20 years of proven it here already. We need to show some confidence and respect for what he has done and stop the Mickey Mouse nickel and diming…
We would never be in the Big Ten if not for Greg Schiano. He deserves to be paid on par with his peers.

Reactions: nick614

Big Ten football coach salary rankings 2023​

• Ryan Day, Ohio State: $10,196,250
  • Mel Tucker, Michigan State: $10,015,350*
  • James Franklin, Penn State: $8,500,000
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $8,194,000
  • Luke Fickell, Wisconsin: $7,625,000
  • Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: $7,000,000
  • Bret Bielema, Illinois: $6,500,000
  • P.J. Fleck, Minnesota: $6,000,000
  • Matt Rhule, Nebraska: $5,500,000
  • Mike Locksley, Maryland: $5,500,000
  • Tom Allen, Indiana: $4,510,000
  • Ryan Walters, Purdue: $4,000,000
  • Greg Schiano, Rutgers: $4,000,000
  • David Braun, Northwestern: unknown*
I think we should pay him anywhere between Franklin and Ferentz. I think he deserves that including what he has shown during 1.0.

I believe that will also help us in the future IF we want to attract other top notch coaches/staff. We need to drive home the narrative that this is a B1G time job.
Based on the above it's clear that Schiano should be paid between $7.5-6 Mil. I also think we should wait towards the end of the season. Maybe before we play the bowl game to make a statement and provide some positive publicity around it. But most importantly, I hope Schiano is able to negotiate $1-2 Mil increase for his coordinators budget. Getting the right OC and DC as well as the other coaches has been the difference between this year and last year.

Ah what the hell, why not $8M seeing as the dollar is set to crash at this Fed printing rate anyways.

Based on the above it's clear that Schiano should be paid between $7.5-6 Mil. I also think we should wait towards the end of the season. Maybe before we play the bowl game to make a statement and provide some positive publicity around it. But most importantly, I hope Schiano is able to negotiate $1-2 Mil increase for his coordinators budget. Getting the right OC and DC as well as the other coaches has been the difference between this year and last year.
$7.5-8M??

I can’t answer this, but I would love to see the economic impact on the local economy now compared to 2019. This can be measured with high degree of accuracy.

You have to let the season out. What happens if Rutgers finishes the 6-7? There a chance Rutgers could be an underdog in the final 4 games. If they lose them all do you still extend a coach that hasn’t had a winning season? Unless another school forces you too why rush it? Even one good year in my opinion doesn’t necessitate a huge raise.

You have to let the season out. What happens if Rutgers finishes the 6-7? There a chance Rutgers could be an underdog in the final 4 games. If they lose them all do you still extend a coach that hasn’t had a winning season? Unless another school forces you too why rush it? Even one good year in my opinion doesn’t necessitate a huge raise.
george costanza ladies GIF

“Do the opposite” of this recommendation…

When you can’t dispute the facts, just attack the messenger, right Mr. Moderator?

Wasn't attacking the messenger, just stating that I was shocked you'd post something like that. Shocked, I tell ya!

Do we really need to wait though? Make a statement and just get the deal done. It’s just a matter of respect…. Are we really worried about GS falling on his face? He has nearly 20 years of proof he can get it done here already.

We need to show some confidence and respect for what he has done and stop the Mickey Mouse nickel and diming. He has earned at least another 3 years and bump to be on par with Fickell’s salary and pool for staff. Don’t forget Wisconsin is much cheaper to live.
This ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

In two years time, we’re going to be BETTER than OSU, PSU, and Michigan.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Of course there’s no plausible metric because metrics look backwards. I’m looking forward. The analysis is qualitative not quantitative.
Al, you know I’m a big fan of yours but there is no realistic measure that says that we should be ahead of any of those teams within the next couple years. I love your enthusiasm and certainly wish more fans had what you have, but we have to be realistic here. let’s beat Iowa next week, which is certainly not a given, and finish it off, competitively versus Penn State in a non-lopsided game, and of course speeding Maryland to get a seat to the bowl game. From there, let’s build with Recruiting , Better , coaching, player, development, NIL increases, etc. I think on that we can both agree.

$7.5-8M??
Not that I know the exact value of our coach but based on what the other coaches are making in the B10, it makes sense a range of 7.5-6 Mil. (probably 7 mil with additional incentives that can take him to 7.5 or 8) and hopefully additional money for the staff budget to keep attracting top coordinators and assistant coaches. The money for coordinators and assistants being the most important part for Schiano long term success.

But just crazy the amount of money college coaches are making. Hope we can find a realistic method to compensate athletes as well.

Given the accelerated progress, bowl eligibility before Year 5, I think Greg Schiano deserves a little less than James Franklin money, and his salary should be
$8M per year.

In two years time, we’re going to be BETTER than OSU, PSU, and Michigan. No one else could have accomplished this.

Next year, the stadium is going to be filled, donations are going to be up, and we will be even better.
Oh, good God. I hope you're not serious. Schiano has done a heck of a job but let's not get carried away

We need a poll. I think it’s about 5-15% immediate raise or extension, 20% after the season, 40-50% next season, and 15% no raise or extension.

We need a poll. I think it’s about 5-15% immediate raise or extension, 20% after the season, 40-50% next season, and 15% no raise or extension.
We all know nothing will happen now. It will happen after the season.

How is it that rutgersal does not understand how salaries work?

When you want to double your salary, you move somewhere that can PAY IT.

When GS builds Rutgers Football to a point where it can pay a coach $8M.. then maybe he'll make that.

That said.. I love how this thread is triggering the haters. The season has gone too well for them to shout about how Coach should be fired.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
$8M per year.

I think middle of B1G is more appropriate. Around the Beilema, Fleck, Locksley, Rhule zip code area. Maybe around $6M. I think Greg has to show sustainability to next move into the upper echelon.

Same as I said in the last thread on the subject, I wouldn't change a thing until we see what happens next season. There's no reason to hurry.

Reactions: NickRU714
In year 4 of this rebuild Greg Schiano has not beaten one, yes, not even one team with a winning record. Think about that fact before you are so quick to agree with the delusions of the OP. There is no doubt that he is a master marketer of himself, and that over the years he has cultivated a loyal and passionate following, but as for real results on the football field, well, they leave a lot to desire. By the way, how has he done developing QB talent over that span?
Your post is so ignorant I don’t know where to start.

I'm guessing he gets a bump to 6-7M a year with 2-3 more years added to his contract. So effectively after this season he will have a new 6 or 7 year deal. Which I think is very fair.

That feels right. Gotta make the long term commitment to show stability - but he’s not at the perennial CFP level (yet).

Your post is so ignorant I don’t know where to start.
You can start by disputing the facts of my statement regarding the records of his opponents over the last 4 years, not with some emotional excuse driven love induced drivel, sounds good? Fire away.

You can start by disputing the facts of my statement regarding the records of his opponents over the last 4 years, not with some emotional excuse driven love induced drivel, sounds good? Fire away.
You are so clueless about what RU is building. Do you even watch RU football ?

You are so clueless about what RU is building. Do you even watch RU football ?
From my seat at SHI Stadium, I am usually facing towards the field, although my wife is usually talking to everyone around her, which can get annoying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT