ADVERTISEMENT

Why R we playing at the Garden again?

We play at MSG because the B1G threw us a lifeline due to the TV money that comes from our proximity to NYC. Losing one home game every 3 or 4 years is a small price to pay.
Then wipe out the loans if we are going to be the sacrificial lamb.

Reactions: #1 RUFan
We have been in the B1G 9 years. We are done doing these fat pasty slow midwesterners favors. We earned them tens of millions with our proximity. Pat Hobbs, learn how to negotiate FFS.

If they asked me for MSG I would say fine, but MSU plays us in Chicago next year or get fvcked.

What are they going to do? Throw us out of the conference?

We have been in the B1G 9 years. We are done doing these fat pasty slow midwesterners favors. We earned them tens of millions with our proximity. Pat Hobbs, learn how to negotiate FFS.

If they asked me for MSG I would say fine, but MSU plays us in Chicago next year or get fvcked.

What are they going to do? Throw us out of the conference?
Exactly! Ten years in and we are giving away home games? WTF? Let’s play Northwestern at United? Wiscy in Milwaukee! Michigan and MSU in Detroit.
Never works that way. Never any explanation. How does RU benefit?

Reactions: #1 RUFan
Then wipe out the loans if we are going to be the sacrificial lamb.
I’d personally love that, but they’re not going to essentially pay us tens of millions of dollars for a handful of games.

It’s also kind of fun to go there, we need neutral court experience, and it helps cement us as New York’s team. I’d prefer it at home but it’s not the end of the world, especially when we get some away games there too.

Please stop! It's a better atmosphere than anywhere when full, or close to full. It's the most significant arena in this country. Izzo did not request it. That is preposterous. The Big Ten requested it. Rutgers is in the Big Ten because of proximity to NYC. That is the biggest reason. It is the only reason that the game is on big boy Fox. Rutgers should play in MSG every year.

no its not a better atmosphere than a full RAC

Exactly! Ten years in and we are giving away home games? WTF? Let’s play Northwestern at United? Wiscy in Milwaukee! Michigan and MSU in Detroit.
Never works that way. Never any explanation. How does RU benefit?
the benefit is next year a big ten team plays us at MSG as their home game

if this does not happen, then we should stop playing at the garden

Please stop! It's a better atmosphere than anywhere when full, or close to full. It's the most significant arena in this country. Izzo did not request it. That is preposterous. The Big Ten requested it. Rutgers is in the Big Ten because of proximity to NYC. That is the biggest reason. It is the only reason that the game is on big boy Fox. Rutgers should play in MSG every year.
I don’t agree with you very often.

But when I do it’s because you are right!

Reactions: TRU2RU
I don’t agree with you very often.

But when I do it’s because you are right!
I gotta bridge you wanna buy? Just say no.
Almost full at 12:00 noon? In what world?
Last minute. Already sold season tix. Last minute B1G shannigans. Nobody else in B1G does this. Hurts us. Again let other teams host at United Center, Indianapolis? Milwaukee, DC, Detroit.

Until they do it’s a joke.

I gotta bridge you wanna buy? Just say no.
Almost full at 12:00 noon? In what world?
Last minute. Already sold season tix. Last minute B1G shannigans. Nobody else in B1G does this. Hurts us.
When life gives you lemons brother. Make it a positive. That’s my take!!!

Reactions: wheezer
Nope. We give up home field. Nobody else does it. Waive the loans then. Izzo damn sure jumping for joy. The reason is TV eyes. Not MSG. Just like Yankee Stadium, it’s stupid and hurts RU. We’ve done just fine not playing in Met Life.
You say “Nope”, what part of my statement is wrong?

We have played in the garden as a ROAD team against conference opponents who have given up a home game to play in the garden.

While your own heads up there tell me why Rutgers is 7% of the B1G but has given up 33% of the home games,? (2 of 6) there's 14 teams.
Which school is an hour from MSG? PSU played at the Palestra a week or so ago.

Noon start is a killer, even if students were offered discounted tix they aren't going

Nope. We give up home field. Nobody else does it. Waive the loans then. Izzo damn sure jumping for joy. The reason is TV eyes. Not MSG. Just like Yankee Stadium, it’s stupid and hurts RU. We’ve done just fine not playing in Met Life.
If I recall correctly we’ve played one conference game at MSG over the last what, five years? And that game was counted as a home game for Michigan .

You say “Nope”, what part of my statement is wrong?

We have played in the garden as a ROAD team against conference opponents who have given up a home game to play in the garden.
This just bounces off him
People are not listening and understanding

Not personally a fan of having a game at MSG - but I do understand it. As someone said earlier it's good for our recruits and good for the B1G. NYC was definitely a piece of the pie of getting us in B1G - so playing a game at MSG a no brainer. I know RU fans who love it, and at the end of the day it's just a not a huge deal playing a game there every other year as a home game. There are more positives than negatives to playing at MSG.

Reactions: Scangg
You really can't think of any reason why they would play a game at MSG?

Right - I thought the attraction of Rutgers to the Big Ten is the awesome greater Middlesex County based fans that are RAC regulars.

Couldn't be the NYC media market.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
Which school is an hour from MSG? PSU played at the Palestra a week or so ago.
PSU chose to play at a smaller arena as they wanted a real basketball experience rather than the mausoleum known as the Joyce Center.

What do you mean nope? RU72 provided you with the correct answer to the question you asked. You might not like that the league asked and we (and other teams) do what they ask. But that's why we're doing it.

@RU72, I don't object to games at MSG every year. It's good PR for us and can result in more RUBB fans, plus it's fun for the players.

But I do wish we didn't have to do it with conference home games. Ideally, we could just do it every year and schedule an early season cupcake for it, so we get a win (better for PR) and not risk it affecting our conference ranking by giving up home court advantage.

But whatever. It is what it is. Win and everything else takes care of itself - that applies here too.

I'd rather scream about the apps on my TV than about the MSG game. Least I can do something about the TV apps. I'm going back to that thread. 😀

Playing at MSG is an advantage for NCAA selection. It counts as a neutral site game but we definitely have some home advantage since it is 40 miles from our campus and hundreds from Michigan.

It's a disadvantage for conference standings because we turned a home game into a neutral-ish game.

What do you mean nope? RU72 provided you with the correct answer to the question you asked. You might not like that the league asked and we (and other teams) do what they ask. But that's why we're doing it.

@RU72, I don't object to games at MSG every year. It's good PR for us and can result in more RUBB fans, plus it's fun for the players.

But I do wish we didn't have to do it with conference home games. Ideally, we could just do it every year and schedule an early season cupcake for it, so we get a win (better for PR) and not risk it affecting our conference ranking by giving up home court advantage.

But whatever. It is what it is. Win and everything else takes care of itself - that applies here too.

I'd rather scream about the apps on my TV than about the MSG game. Least I can do something about the TV apps. I'm going back to that thread. 😀
Let's clarify a few points.
There has never been a better atmosphere at the RAC than MSG in 1976 for Rutgers-St.John's or in 1979 for Rutgers-Ohio State. That would be impossible and those who were there can validate.And I was at UNLV, which was more nuts than most at the RAC.
I promise that Coach K would have played there 3 times a year if he could have.
And again, this is a great audition for hopefully a Jimmy V or CBS Sports Classic there. Pack the Garden and show everyone that Rutgers travels.
Playing at MSG is an advantage for NCAA selection. It counts as a neutral site game but we definitely have some home advantage since it is 40 miles from our campus and hundreds from Michigan.

It's a disadvantage for conference standings because we turned a home game into a neutral-ish game.
Let's clarify a few points.
There have been few atmospheres at the RAC better than Rutgers-St John's in 1976 or Rutgers-Ohio State in 1979 at MSG. And I was at UNLV which was crazy.

Coach K would have played 3 plus games at Cameron North if he could have.

And consider this on a more mundane level as an audition for hopefully a Jimmy V or a CBS Sports Classic invite. Make Rutgers a national brand and show everyone how well Rutgers travels and how many eyeballs show up on Fox.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT