ADVERTISEMENT

Why R we playing at the Garden again?

I would never ever give up conference games at home. Play at the Garden on our own terms.

Well we might not like what the league does but we are the only school that has this done to us all the time. It’s getting old. We are losing the advantage and atmosphere of the RAC. Remember that Wisconsin loss. Would have liked that game at the RAC.

RU destroys MSU two games in a row at the RAC. Season ticket sold no mention of MSG game.
All of a sudden RU is suddenly playing MSU at the Garden, a noon start no less on the same day the Knicks are playing. No Izzo or B1G shannigans? Wanna buy a bridge?

Finally news flash, you can’t control anything, doesn’t mean you can’t comment on it. Message Board perfect forum to vent.

Reactions: RUinLondon
Never been to Joyce. Went to Bryce Jordan once for basketball. Big - yes, but not a top venue in my experience. If I was PSU I'd do an annual Palestra game for sure.
Lol! Jordan Center! Mea Culpa!

I would never ever give up conference games at home. Play at the Garden on our own terms.

Well we might not like what the league does but we are the only school that has this done to us all the time. It’s getting old. We are losing the advantage and atmosphere of the RAC. Remember that Wisconsin loss. Would have liked that game at the RAC.

RU destroys MSU two games in a row at the RAC. Season ticket sold no mention of MSG game.
All of a sudden RU is suddenly playing MSU at the Garden, a noon start no less on the same day the Knicks are playing. No Izzo or B1G shannigans? Wanna buy a bridge?

Finally news flash, you can’t control anything, doesn’t mean you can’t comment on it. Message Board perfect forum to vent.
Yes, Tom Izzo called up the Big Ten and asked them to move our game to MSG and the Big Ten was like "sure Tom, anything for you, actually we'll just move all MSU @ RU games to MSG from now on". This is honestly the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen on this board.

Let's clarify a few points.
There has never been a better atmosphere at the RAC than MSG in 1976 for Rutgers-St.John's or in 1979 for Rutgers-Ohio State. That would be impossible and those who were there can validate.And I was at UNLV, which was more nuts than most at the RAC.
I promise that Coach K would have played there 3 times a year if he could have.
And again, this is a great audition for hopefully a Jimmy V or CBS Sports Classic there. Pack the Garden and show everyone that Rutgers travels.

Let's clarify a few points.
There have been few atmospheres at the RAC better than Rutgers-St John's in 1976 or Rutgers-Ohio State in 1979 at MSG. And I was at UNLV which was crazy.

Coach K would have played 3 plus games at Cameron North if he could have.

And consider this on a more mundane level as an audition for hopefully a Jimmy V or a CBS Sports Classic invite. Make Rutgers a national brand and show everyone how well Rutgers travels and how many eyeballs show up on Fox.
The best atmosphere is a subjective thing. So all you've clarified is your opinion, which is fine. But I think many here disagree and think the RAC, at least these days, is a tougher environment for opposing teams, than MSG is.

I am not seeing much value in bringing up what a Duke coach would've done. It's speculation that attempts to compare two different fan-bases in two different states across multiple different venues. Duke was a national brand in basketball for awhile and, to a lesser extent, still is today. RU is still working on getting there (and w/the recruits coming in, might be there pretty soon). Point is, Duke would've travelled better back then than RU will today.

And we don't need to audition for anything. We need to win games right now. That's the priority. Winning gets the team where it needs to go better than anything else.

Also, it seems to me that the choice of venue isn't super relevant to TV eyeballs. I certainly don't care where a game is being played when I choose what game to watch on TV. Maybe others do. Not sure how to quantify that other than to compare the numbers after the fact only we won't have MSU at the RAC numbers to compare against this season.

Reactions: #1 RUFan
Yes, Tom Izzo called up the Big Ten and asked them to move our game to MSG and the Big Ten was like "sure Tom, anything for you, actually we'll just move all MSU @ RU games to MSG from now on". This is honestly the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen on this board.
It's not really the weirdest conspiracy theory. There have been some extremely weird ones voiced over the years.

And that's just the FB/MBB boards. For the truly insane stuff, you have to look over and see the wacked-out bubble-born, echo-chamber material that often pervades the CE board. Kept me wildly entertained for years. 😀

Lol! Jordan Center! Mea Culpa!
If RU wants to do it on their own terms, I’d get it but strenuously disagree like the Maryland game at Yankee Stadium, but at least that was on our own silly stupid terms.

We now have a Top 25 team and are giving up a home conference game against a team we are fighting for seeding. Our opponents never have to play at other arenas for their home games.

Nobody is 100 % saying Izzo called up the B1G and asked to change. But are you saying that MSU wasn’t consulted? And can you imagine the conversation. Hey Tom, do you want to play Rutgers at the RAC where they have absolutely destroyed you the last two times or play a neutral site at the Garden? Hey Tom do you want to play a Saturday night game at the RAC or a noon start at the Garden? Hey Tom, how about next year MSU changes their home game and we play at Little Caesars in Detroit? Can you really see the B1G and Izzo doing this with a straight face. Izzo is giggling and saying where do I sign. Do you think he put up a fight?

Conspiracy theory? Don’t know but the inequities stink to high heaven. And the pull that Izzo has, the last minuteness, the rumors, where there’s smoke there’s fire and sadly many conspiracy theories have been true.

Last edited:
But I think many here disagree and think the RAC, at least these days, is a tougher environment for opposing teams, than MSG is.
I mean this is just obviously true. It might technically be an opinion in that we don't have the data necessary to prove it but it is extremely obviously correct in terms of common sense.

If all you care about it the probability of winning this specific game, you'd rather be at the RAC.

Reactions: mildone
It's not really the weirdest conspiracy theory. There have been some extremely weird ones voiced over the years.

And that's just the FB/MBB boards. For the truly insane stuff, you have to look over and see the wacked-out bubble-born, echo-chamber material that often pervades the CE board. Kept me wildly entertained for years. 😀

except we have been spot on there..interesting, echo chambers can get things right

I like how @G- RUnit liked your post just because you defended him by saying that his wild conspiracy theory is not actually the single weirdest one ever posted on the board.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I mean this is just obviously true. It might technically be an opinion in that we don't have the data necessary to prove it but it is extremely obviously correct in terms of common sense.

If all you care about it the probability of winning this specific game, you'd rather be at the RAC.
Certainly a logical case can be made to support the RAC as a more hostile environment. We'll see what the attendance numbers are. But that's only part of the story.

How many folks who attend at the Garden will be casual fans who aren't going to be loud and crazed during the game? How many more MSU fans will make the MSG game than would be able to get tix to the RAC, thus creating a more favorably neutral environment for them?

And that's before we get into the acoustical impacts of the architectural differences between the two venues.

That place had to be locked away from the outside world because it's too embarrassing to the site owners, but sure.

no it was locked away because some wanted to shut down free discussion about controversial topics and if you did not fall in line throw the label cards as a way to shut down discussion...you are a ist, phobe, nazi...those kind of things. The kind of stuff you get from a elitist msnbc panel

Other than the 2018 big ten tourney, we usually shoot like shit at the garden.

Hate this decision.

no it was locked away because some wanted to shut down free discussion about controversial topics and if you did not fall in line throw the label cards as a way to shut down discussion...you are a ist, phobe, nazi...those kind of things. The kind of stuff you get from a elitist msnbc panel
It was a cesspool before it got locked and clearly from the thread titles remains a cesspool. But except for some incredibly stupid political signatures (not you obviously) you guys manage to mostly keep it confined to that board so it is what it is.

Reactions: Kbee3
The last time we played at MSG it was a "road" game. Other teams have played at MSG in games not involving Rutgers. Why do you ignore this to push your conspiracy theory?
And yet none of those teams had to play their home games at another arena. Why not make Indiana and Purdue play at the Pacers’ arena? Or Butler Field House? Why not make Northwestern play at the United Center? Let’s play Wisconsin in Milwaukee. Next year let’s play MSU at Little Caesar’s! Why not RU v PSU with a Penn State home game in Wells Fargo?

RU is the only school that has to jump through hoops… so to speak…

Sorry but it kinda supports the theory, like it it not.

We shouldn’t have to give away home field advantage for conference games. If RU wants to schedule non conference games at MSG….

But there is actually a big parallel between a lot of the erm.. statistical understanding.. that goes into threads on a certain topic that occasionally spills over here and other basketball related.. statistical understanding

Never been to Joyce. Went to Bryce Jordan once for basketball. Big - yes, but not a top venue in my experience. If I was PSU I'd do an annual Palestra game for sure.
I'd love for RU to play Penn State at the Palestra. I think it would be a tough ticket. RU fans would travel to Philly en masse! Unfortunately, I can't see PSU scheduling RU in the City of Brotherly Love. It knows there would be a strong chance more RU fans would be there than PSU supporters.

The last time RU played at the Palestra was in November 2010... Mike Rice's fifth game as RU coach.

The distance between the RAC and MSG, and the distance between Storrs and Hartford, is about the same, 30 or so miles.

UConn has split home basketball games between on-campus Gampel and downtown Hartford for decades.

The UConn men's basketball team won national championships in 1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014.

The UConn women's basketball team won national championships in 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.

RAC-loving whiners must understand the location of the court on which the game is played matters less to the outcome than the playing standard of the teams on the court.

Perhaps splitting more home games between venues would lead to some success. Rutgers men's hoops hasn't won a conference tourney since 1989. The women's hoops team last won a conference tournament in 2006.

Perhaps splitting more home games between venues would lead to some success. Rutgers hasn't won a conference tourney since 1989.
Yes, if we split (ew, **** no) our home games (regular season) between the RAC and MSG, we might win the conference tournament (a neutral site tournament at the end of the season).

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

The reason the 2015 Rutgers Basketball Team didn't win the conference tournament was probably.. not enough games at Madison Square Garden.

Man I need to get myself whatever some of you people are taking.

except we have been spot on there..interesting, echo chambers can get things right
Nah. It's a madhouse, Bac. Step away from the abyss.

Don't make me cite the days without a deep state arrest or conviction. I'll do it! You know I will. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
It was a cesspool before it got locked and clearly from the thread titles remains a cesspool. But except for some incredibly stupid political signatures (not you obviously) you guys manage to mostly keep it confined to that board so it is what it is.
politics is a cesspool

Are you on drugs? When we play a "road" game against Michigan at MSG.... Michigan is playing a home game at MSG!
04dc3fbe-cab0-4182-be98-587ca55bc751_text.gif

It happened 2x, the first time Michigan gave up a home game, not us. Calm down

Reactions: TRU2RU and MadRU
Are you on drugs? When we play a "road" game against Michigan at MSG.... Michigan is playing a home game at MSG!
Reading comprehension much?
Has Michigan or MSU ever had to play a home conference game where their home game is in Detroit?
Has Northwestern given up a conference home game to play at the United Center?
Has Indiana or Purdue ever have to play a conference game at the Pacer’s arena!

That’s the difference. Giving up an actual home game at your arena is far more valuable than categorizing a game as an away game

The distance between the RAC and MSG, and the distance between Storrs and Hartford, is about the same, 30 or so miles.

UConn has split home basketball games between on-campus Gampel and downtown Hartford for decades.

The UConn men's basketball team won national championships in 1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014.

The UConn women's basketball team won national championships in 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.

RAC-loving whiners must understand the location of the court on which the game is played matters less to the outcome than the playing standard of the teams on the court.

Perhaps splitting more home games between venues would lead to some success. Rutgers men's hoops hasn't won a conference tourney since 1989. The women's hoops team last won a conference tournament in 2006.
Nothing says New Jersey like playing a chunk of your home games in New York!

politics is a cesspool
Won't argue with that.

It's honestly incredibly difficult from what I've seen to have a political message board that isn't a cesspool. It takes a LOT of moderation work to have any chance, and even then.

Has Michigan or MSU ever had to play a home conference game where their home game is in Detroit?

That’s the difference. Giving up an actual home game at your arena is far more valuable than categorizing a game as an away game
You are the one who struggles with reading comprehension. Michigan gave up a home game to play us at MSG

I.. am just astonished.

Michigan gave up an actual home game, at their actual arena, to travel to NEW YORK and play us. They only had 9 real conference home games in 2019-20 because one of them was that game. YOU UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECT?

It was locked down because someone complained, which is lame, I agree.

It can be wildly entertaining for sure, a laugh a minute. But it's basically a broken record where the names change but the themes remain the same. The sheer repetitiveness of it all just gets super old after awhile. At least for me.

It's when people forget it's just entertainment and start taking it too seriously, believing in the BS, that it veers into whacko territory.

politics is a cesspool
Yes, it's a necessary evil cesspool that is best left to politicians.

It's when people who aren't politicians obsess over it in ways that would make most professional politicians cringe that it starts to become problematic. And the CE board has always been full of stuff that would make most politicians from both parties cringe and distance themselves.

It's when politicians comes along that don't cringe, at least on the inside, that our country really suffers. And that's happening too often these days. Wrong direction on both sides.

It was locked down because someone complained, which is lame, I agree.

It can be wildly entertaining for sure, a laugh a minute. But it's basically a broken record where the names change but the themes remain the same. The sheer repetitiveness of it all just gets super old after awhile.

It happened 2x, the first time Michigan gave up a home game, not us. Calm down
That’s not the same. There is no reciprocity. The common denominator in all this is RU. We are only team giving up the home field advantage. The idea that the opposing team giving up a “home” game and that is somehow fair is nutty. We are the only school that has to worry about this crap. The disadvantage to Rutgers is greater than the classification of a home game at a neutral site.

RU v Wisc…we lost at the buzzer no less.
RU v Michigan… we lost
RU v Michigan State.

Indiana and Purdue could easily do this at the best arena in America, Gainbridge Fieldhouse… they don’t.
RU v PSU at Wells Fargo… they don’t.
Michigan or MSU At Detroit… they don’t.
Maryland at Capital One… they don’t.
Wisconsin at Milwaukee… they don’t.
They never play their home games at another arena. Classifying a game as home at a neutral site is not the same.
Only Rutgers!

Inherently unfair.

That’s not the same. There is no reciprocity. The common denominator in all this is RU. We are only team giving up the home field advantage. The idea that the opposing team giving up a “home” game and that is somehow fair is nutty. We are the only school that has to worry about this crap.
What.. the **** are you talking about?

How in the **** is Michigan playing one of their home games in New York not reciprocal to Rutgers playing one of their home games in New York? How do you not understand how this works? (I mean it is different.. it's worse FOR MICHIGAN because their travel all the way from Michigan to New York for their "home game" while we play it right in our backyard.)

Reactions: TRU2RU
Like, if this keeps on in perpetuity it is very obviously an ADVANTAGE for Rutgers..

We get one home game and one road game transformed into two neutral games. They count as neutral games in every way that matters but they are closer to home games than road games.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Yes, it's a necessary evil cesspool that is best left to politicians.

It's when people who aren't politicians obsess over it in ways that would make most professional politicians cringe that it starts to become problematic. And the CE board has always been full of stuff that would make most politicians from both parties cringe and distance themselves.

It's when politicians comes along that don't cringe, at least on the inside, that our country really suffers. And that's happening too often these days. Wrong direction on both sides.
politicians are awful human beings across the board

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT