ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wisconsin defeats Rutgers, 24-13

Can we start a Jerry Kill is Killing It thread, and look lovingly at his fine work at New Mexico State?

7-6 last year with a win in the Quick Lane Bowl.
4-3 this year, taking down the mighty Sam Houston last night! We should have . . . . . . (total sarcasm). 😜🤕

Fun fact:
New Mexico State is #130 out of 133 teams in offensive plays per game (58 plays)
In 2017 Rutgers was #129 put of 130 teams (59.5 plays).
The man will run the team he wants - have to give him that.
Didn't even bother scrolling from the top and I immediately reversed sorted to find NM St.

For comparison, 2023 Rutgers is #127 (60.4 plays).
I won't add any commentary..........

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Fun fact:
New Mexico State is #130 out of 133 teams in offensive plays per game (58 plays)
In 2017 Rutgers was #129 put of 130 teams (59.5 plays).
The man will run the team he wants - have to give him that.
Didn't even bother scrolling from the top and I immediately reversed sorted to find NM St.

For comparison, 2023 Rutgers is #127 (60.4 plays).
I won't add any commentary..........

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game
I think what you are trying to say but are afraid to is that you miss McNulty! 😜 He is an analyst at the Saban Home for Wayward coaches. Worked for Flood. He's killing it at Texas. Mugs up for McNulty? 😂😬

EDIT- We are ahead of Michigan at 128. Are they doing it wrong? Iowa at 132. I have predicted elsewhere Iowa RU game will be a 2-0 victory.

• Angry
Reactions: NickRU714
Misguided would be a better choice of words. One would think ECU ought to build a statue for the guy based on how Yessir has promoted Houston. EC would probavly be in a better place today if they hired Holtz back when he failed at Sourh Florida.
ECU won’t but JMU would probably be ok with it after he took them to back to back NC games and won one along the way😉.

Look I didn’t bring up Houston in this thread. ECU isn’t having a good year at all however I also recognize that they are in a hell of a lot better a spot than they were in 2018 when Houston took the job which was your original argument that you have since shifted enough times now to do whatever you can to sound right. Reality is YOU brought up Houston in this thread, not me. I talked about Houston years ago and up until this year no one could even question it based on results.

Here’s the good news, Greg has a chance to prove his worth the next two weeks. Both are extremely winnable games and if we get back to a bowl game that will absolutely show signs of moving the right direction.

It’s not unreasonable though, with a schedule like ours with multiple preseason tuneups (every P5 team has them)that we expect to go 3-6 in conference this year in year 4 which is all I’m asking for from Greg.

The excuse making has got to stop if we can’t at least muster 3-6 in conference year 4 of Greg. Particularly when 2 of the teams lost their head coaches mere weeks before we play them. He’s gotta get it done, that simple. Prove me wrong Greg! Show me you’re still worth a damn!

ECU won’t but JMU would probably be ok with it after he took them to back to back NC games and won one along the way😉.

Look I didn’t bring up Houston in this thread. ECU isn’t having a good year at all however I also recognize that they are in a hell of a lot better a spot than they were in 2018 when Houston took the job which was your original argument that you have since shifted enough times now to do whatever you can to sound right. Reality is YOU brought up Houston in this thread, not me. I talked about Houston years ago and up until this year no one could even question it based on results.

Here’s the good news, Greg has a chance to prove his worth the next two weeks. Both are extremely winnable games and if we get back to a bowl game that will absolutely show signs of moving the right direction.

It’s not unreasonable though, with a schedule like ours with multiple preseason tuneups (every P5 team has them)that we expect to go 3-6 in conference this year in year 4 which is all I’m asking for from Greg.

The excuse making has got to stop if we can’t at least muster 3-6 in conference year 4 of Greg. Particularly when 2 of the teams lost their head coaches mere weeks before we play them. He’s gotta get it done, that simple. Prove me wrong Greg! Show me you’re still worth a damn!

As I said - I stand by what I said. Of course it’s based on the premise that ECU continues to bomb this season. Double digit losses to teams like Rice and Appalachian St are really bad losses by any standard. If ECU picks up more losses like that and fails to win more than 3 games they would enter this off season coming off a worse (or at least comparably bad) single season than 2018 (the season before houston arrived). That’s what I meant by what I said.

And yes, I brought up Houston because the million dollar question to those of you complaining about Schiano is who do you think would have us in a better spot? It is not debatable that our team is better than the one Ash left behind. 5-3 and 4-4 in the AAC doesn’t stand out as impressive in that conference. Especially not when 4 of the wins in the 5 win AAC year were against teams that averaged under 3 wins total.

As I said - I stand by what I said. Of course it’s based on the premise that ECU continues to bomb this season. Double digit losses to teams like Rice and Appalachian St are really bad losses by any standard. If ECU picks up more losses like that and fails to win more than 3 games they would enter this off season coming off a worse (or at least comparably bad) single season than 2018 (the season before houston arrived). That’s what I meant by what I said.

And yes, I brought up Houston because the million dollar question to those of you complaining about Schiano is who do you think would have us in a better spot? It is not debatable that our team is better than the one Ash left behind. 5-3 and 4-4 in the AAC doesn’t stand out as impressive in that conference. Especially not when 4 of the wins in the 5 win AAC year were against teams that averaged under 3 wins total.
LOL. Mike Houston has a problem. ECU getting hammered by powerhouse SMU in the first half 14-3.

Manning is not starting because Texas has 5 star QBs on their roster. We have nothing close.
If Gavin continues to struggle for rest of the season ( and this will be 24 games that he will have played at RU) you have to go with someone else next year. Shepard, Simon, or AJ.
I want to see GW get more accurate but his overall decision making has been pretty good.
But let me ask this- let's say he continues to struggle as he has in the first half of the season - you realize he would account for 20 TD's and only 4 turnovers.
I think we could actually build on that.

BTW- even if he isn't perfect- you have to see how much he has improved.

Let's also compare to Mike Teel- MT's So season he threw 296 passes- 2135 yds with 12 TD 13 Int - 50 yds on the ground.
GW- with same 2nd half as first- throws 282 passes - 1828 yds with 12 TD and 4 Int but 460 yds on the ground with 8 TD's.

I want to see GW get more accurate but his overall decision making has been pretty good.
But let me ask this- let's say he continues to struggle as he has in the first half of the season - you realize he would account for 20 TD's and only 4 turnovers.

Let's also compare to Mike Teel- MT's So season he threw 296 passes- 2135 yds with 12 TD 13 Int - 50 yds on the ground.
GW- with same 2nd half as first- throws 282 passes - 1828 yds with 12 TD and 4 Int but 460 yds on the ground with 8 TD's.
I support Gavin but his numbers don’t exist in a vaccum. If we can’t run, he has to be able to do more with his arm. I’m much more concerned about the run blocking after the Wisconsin game than I was previously. A game manager won’t win many games where we rush for under 75 yards.

During Mike Teel’s sophomore season : 1st 6 games he threw for over 55% completion in 5 games. Had 70% in Game 1 vs. UNC. Gavin’s 1st games this season : 6 games with only 2 games above 55% completions. Let’s see how Gavin builds as we move thru the 2nd half of the season.

During Mike Teel’s sophomore season : 1st 6 games he threw for over 55% completion in 5 games. Had 70% in Game 1 vs. UNC. Gavin’s 1st games this season : 6 games with only 2 games above 55% completions. Let’s see how Gavin builds as we move thru the 2nd half of the season.
Isn't this an apples and oranges comparison with Tell having Kenny Britt, Tim Brown Tiquan Underwood, Clark Harris, Shawn Tucker and Brian Leonard as receiving targets? Compare with Jackson, Dremel and ?????????? It's not even a close basis for comparison?

Reason why I posted this is someone said Gavin is progressing the same as Mike Teel through their sophomore seasons. In fact he is not. Not even close. I well know you can’t compare apples to oranges.
If one has seen Mike Teel’s passing performance { accuracy, reading the defense, etc} vs. Wimsatt’s performance so far it’s not close. Let’s hope he continues to improve.

Reason why I posted this is someone said Gavin is progressing the same as Mike Teel through their sophomore seasons. In fact he is not. Not even close. I well know you can’t compare apples to oranges.
If one has seen Mike Teel’s passing performance { accuracy, reading the defense, etc} vs. Wimsatt’s performance so far it’s not close. Let’s hope he continues to improve.
These discussions can be interesting.
Here is another way of looking at progress.

Gavin's base was lower-throw out 2021, meaningless. Gavin turns 20 later this month.
2022 65/145 for 44.8%
2023- 73/141 for 51.8%, an improvement of 15.6% over year previous.

Teel was about a year older in the 2006 season to start-he was 20.
2005 - 51/101 for 51.5%; 2 TDs for 10 INTs
2006 (first 6)- 69/122 for 56.5%, an improvement of 9.7%; 5 TDs/7 INTs

So, Gavin has improved more at this point of the season compared to Teel. Teel finished 2006 with a 55.4% completion rate, so he got a little worse as the season went on.
Also, Teel's TD/INT ratio was lopsided and stayed that way in 2006. So far Gavin has 6 TDs/2 INTs, which is a big improvement over last year's 5/7.

LOL. Mike Houston has a problem. ECU getting hammered by powerhouse SMU in the first half 14-3.

I try to be objective. My comment was comparative to their 3-9 2018 team. In this respect, there’s nothing eye popping about a 31-10 loss to SMU. It’s the collection of losses to bad schools. Their conference was actually decent in 2018 - they didn’t play many gimmes. They did lose to an FCS game but it was the defending champs and that team went 10-2. They beat UNC (albeit a bad UNC).

I guess we’ll see how they close down the stretch. But anything worse that 3-3 would be dreadful for Houston’s stock in his career progression - at least in my opinion.

These discussions can be interesting.
Here is another way of looking at progress.

Gavin's base was lower-throw out 2021, meaningless. Gavin turns 20 later this month.
2022 65/145 for 44.8%
2023- 73/141 for 51.8%, an improvement of 15.6% over year previous.

Teel was about a year older in the 2006 season to start-he was 20.
2005 - 51/101 for 51.5%; 2 TDs for 10 INTs
2006 (first 6)- 69/122 for 56.5%, an improvement of 9.7%; 5 TDs/7 INTs

So, Gavin has improved more at this point of the season compared to Teel. Teel finished 2006 with a 55.4% completion rate, so he got a little worse as the season went on.
Also, Teel's TD/INT ratio was lopsided and stayed that way in 2006. So far Gavin has 6 TDs/2 INTs, which is a big improvement over last year's 5/7.
This was my point exactly - and add in that GW has 230 yds on the ground tis year with 4 additional TDS.
Believe me- for obvious reasons, I love those 05-09 teams and Mike is my favorite Rutgers QB. Gavin is not the pure passer that Teel or even Nova were. But while GW may not end up with either of their yardage in the air and maybe his % is lower- he has been much less mistake prone than either of them here in his 2nd season starting. He has accounted for 10 TD and only 2 TO's.
He does have to improve but you see that he has that capability. It isn't like he can't hit the side of a barn- he has made some great passes and into tight windows. And then he misses a guy by 10 yards. But if you also watch close- a lot of those misses were reads or communication. And he has a ton of throw aways. Where, Teel and Nova never wanted to throw a ball into the stands.

This was my point exactly - and add in that GW has 230 yds on the ground tis year with 4 additional TDS.
Believe me- for obvious reasons, I love those 05-09 teams and Mike is my favorite Rutgers QB. Gavin is not the pure passer that Teel or even Nova were. But while GW may not end up with either of their yardage in the air and maybe his % is lower- he has been much less mistake prone than either of them here in his 2nd season starting. He has accounted for 10 TD and only 2 TO's.
He does have to improve but you see that he has that capability. It isn't like he can't hit the side of a barn- he has made some great passes and into tight windows. And then he misses a guy by 10 yards. But if you also watch close- a lot of those misses were reads or communication. And he has a ton of throw aways. Where, Teel and Nova never wanted to throw a ball into the stands.
It really is an apples and oranges comparison. Teel had a bevy of great receivers. Gavin does not. Teel's offense had a stout run game with Leonard and Rice. Gavin does not. Teel did not have wheels, Gavin does.
You are absolutely right about the running and the offense. Gavin should have those 230 yards and 4 TDs tacked onto his passing numbers and call it "total offense."

None of this is to diminish anything Teel did. Teel was great, and he is a Rutgers QB legend. I listen to Teel and Carlin when I am at the games. Teel's insight and encouragement of Gavin from the booth is fantastic and heart warming. He often brings his own perspective on progress as a young QB. Really good stuff.

It really is an apples and oranges comparison. Teel had a bevy of great receivers. Gavin does not. Teel's offense had a stout run game with Leonard and Rice. Gavin does not. Teel did not have wheels, Gavin does.
You are absolutely right about the running and the offense. Gavin should have those 230 yards and 4 TDs tacked onto his passing numbers and call it "total offense."

None of this is to diminish anything Teel did. Teel was great, and he is a Rutgers QB legend. I listen to Teel and Carlin when I am at the games. Teel's insight and encouragement of Gavin from the booth is fantastic and heart warming. He often brings his own perspective on progress as a young QB. Really good stuff.
hahaha and lets also line up
Sosa/Fladdell/Stapleton/Stephenson/Zuttah

hahaha and lets also line up
Sosa/Fladdell/Stapleton/Stephenson/Zuttah
I get this is a message board, and we have a tendency to make comparisons, but as we have seen, these comparisons are difficult. Before someone jumps in and says that I am indicating Gavin's accuracy is fine, that is not at all what I am saying. But we can say that his accuracy in terms of completion percentage to be the same as or better than Teel. Perhaps it can be. But it is not all on him. One has to consider the supporting cast when reviewing the performance of the lead actor.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01
I get this is a message board, and we have a tendency to make comparisons, but as we have seen, these comparisons are difficult. Before someone jumps in and says that I am indicating Gavin's accuracy is fine, that is not at all what I am saying. But we can say that we cannot his accuracy in terms of completion percentage to be the same as or better than Teel. Perhaps it can be. But it is not all on him. One has to consider the supporting cast when reviewing the performance of the lead actor.
We are on the same page here my friend. I think both of us are just responding to some that feel that GW is not on a successful path. There is so much of this game he still needs to learn and slow down and he does need to improve on some of his physical requirements as well.
Before the year started, I was not sure if he had the ability to make improvements. What I see after game 6 vs what we saw last year- looks like 2 different QB's. I can see him making the next jump next year as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT