ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wisconsin defeats Rutgers, 24-13

Who said anything about what Greg did his first time around here? Your words were ‘ECU is worse now than what he inherited’.
That is a demonstrably false statement. Who in the world brought up Greg 1.0? It was 15 years ago, who cares?
You. Shall we pull up strings where you proclaimed that he was a much better choice for this job? ECU might not win 3 games this year. So while they eeked out 7 wins in back to back years it would not be unreasonable for their fans to see it as things falling back to where they were. If Houston doesn’t win 4+ with the schedule he has, he will be on the hot seat there for sure. Your saying Greg should be GONE (not on even the hot seat) if he goes 5-7 even though Greg’s schedule starts with 3 automatic losses.

Unless it’s a kid whose an all world, 5 star absolutely no doubter (Trevor Lawrence, Terrell Prior) type of guy I don’t think any true freshman should be playing in this conference if a team can help it.

Heck Texas isn’t even starting Arch Manning yet

It’s important to have guys with experience and leadership abilities. It also wouldn’t hurt to poach a guy from a winning program who’s used to a winning culture.
Manning is not starting because Texas has 5 star QBs on their roster. We have nothing close.
If Gavin continues to struggle for rest of the season ( and this will be 24 games that he will have played at RU) you have to go with someone else next year. Shepard, Simon, or AJ.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
You. Shall we pull up strings where you proclaimed that he was a much better choice for this job? ECU might not win 3 games this year. So while they eeked out 7 wins in back to back years it would not be unreasonable for their fans to see it as things falling back to where they were. If Houston doesn’t win 4+ with the schedule he has, he will be on the hot seat there for sure. Your saying Greg should be GONE (not on even the hot seat) if he goes 5-7 even though Greg’s schedule starts with 3 automatic losses.
You are crazy if you think a coach will be in the hot seat after back to back bowl games improving the record of those he inherited by over a 100% increase for one down year where ECU is replacing 14 starters including 9 on offense. Thats plain delusional.

I never brought up Greg 1.0 when we were hiring 4 years ago. Greg 1.0 and the guy we hired 4 years ago are entirely different coaches. Randy edsall took UConn to a BCS bowl, he left and sucked everywhere he went, it was stupid for UConn to hire him back…. Greg is the same scenario, bailed at the last minute on us and failed at every subsequent stop. The guy who left in 2011 and the guy we hired in 2019 are different coaches. Perception is reality and all Greg did for 7 years was lower his stock and suck so badly that no one besides Rutgers would touch him…. And here we are

• Love
You are crazy if you think a coach will be in the hot seat after back to back bowl games improving the record of those he inherited by over a 100% increase for one down year where ECU is replacing 14 starters including 9 on offense. Thats plain delusional.

I never brought up Greg 1.0 when we were hiring 4 years ago. Greg 1.0 and the guy we hired 4 years ago are entirely different coaches. Randy edsall took UConn to a BCS bowl, he left and sucked everywhere he went, it was stupid for UConn to hire him back…. Greg is the same scenario, bailed at the last minute on us and failed at every subsequent stop. The guy who left in 2011 and the guy we hired in 2019 are different coaches. Perception is reality and all Greg did for 7 years was lower his stock and suck so badly that no one besides Rutgers would touch him…. And here we are
and after Schiano left in 2011 Rutgers lowered their stock and kept the bank closed so no one who might make RU a winner would come on as HC
The G2 era might ave started from a deal made in Hell, but if the past performance, G1 took 5 years to build a respectable program, the G2 era might prove to be a success story in year 4, if RU wins 2 ,and goes bowling for the second time in his return engagement.

Finally had a chance to watch the game. Lewis was beating his guy like a drum on the pass rush. Unfortunately his guy was also holding and on a few occasions tackling him. Now I know why people were complaint. That was a pretty bad game for missed holding calls.

Manning is not starting because Texas has 5 star QBs on their roster. We have nothing close.
If Gavin continues to struggle for rest of the season ( and this will be 24 games that he will have played at RU) you have to go with someone else next year. Shepard, Simon, or AJ.
Or transfer portal QB.

Finally had a chance to watch the game. Lewis was beating his guy like a drum on the pass rush. Unfortunately his guy was also holding and on a few occasions tackling him. Now I know why people were complaint. That was a pretty bad game for missed holding calls.
That's the way I saw it too.
Why can't our guys hold like that ?

oh that's going to ruffle some feathers

hard to argue against it though

was ridiculous!!!!!!

Lewis is going to be a decent NFL player some day. Good production vs B1G o-linemen and all the proper measurables.

If Houston finishes with only 3 wins and then has another poor season next year at ECU there’s a chance he’s gone. Again - your saying Greg needs 6 wins just to keep his job and in another breath your saying winning 7 twice in an awful conference is a great accomplishment. It’s very inconsistent. Houston’s stock right now is objectively garbage. Nowadays with the portal it is not that hard for a good coach to turn a mid major around from bad to mediocre.

Reactions: rutgersal
It rarely works out with freshman is all. It’s not to say these guys can’t eventually be good players for us, it’s just incredibly rare for a freshman to be able to step in at the speed of this conference and have success.

If Houston finishes with only 3 wins and then has another poor season next year at ECU there’s a chance he’s gone. Again - you’re saying Greg needs 6 wins just to keep his job and in another breath you’re saying winning 7 twice in an awful conference is a great accomplishment. It’s very inconsistent. Houston’s stock right now is objectively garbage. Nowadays with the portal it is not that hard for a good coach to turn a mid major around from bad to mediocre.
Changing the parameters now are we….

What started off as ‘the team is worse than what he inherited’ to has now morphed into ‘If he finishes with only 3 wins and has another poor season next year’… if you wanna keep changing the argument to try to win it have at it.

What’s hilarious as well is your ignorance on why I was so adamant about Houston in 2019, you see you couldn’t bother to realize my main argument is that he has successfully turned around now 4 separate programs all as a HC, was an east coast guy, won a NC in 2016, and was actually attainable as I don’t live under the delusion that Rutgers will ever attract a name coach.

You’re now trying to have an ‘Aha!’ moment for yelling about one down year for a program that lost its QB, RB, top 2 wr’s, TE, and 4 starting offensive lineman from last year…. At a program Houston took to back to back bowl games who hadn’t been to a bowl game since 2015….

Greg’s resume since 2011 can’t hold Mike Houston’s jockstrap

oh that's going to ruffle some feathers

hard to argue against it though
It’s whatever at this point. The next 2 weeks mean everything, win them (both should be wins) to qualify for a bowl, take that momentum of accomplishment and fight like hell the rest of the season. I’m not expecting wins once we get into the November gauntlet, though if our offense can maybe show a shred we might just shock Iowa whose offense is dogsh*t.

suck so badly that no one besides Rutgers would touch him….
I wish people would stop saying that. Do you now of places that GS applie to and was turned down?
I do know that a SEC school's administration was ready to hire him and a six time Super Bowl winning coach named him as his defensive coordinator. This wasn't the case of a friend hiring a friend to give him a job. If so he would have hired him as a defensive analyst or something like that.He was going to be the coordinator.
I know that you're a big Houston fan and I think he's a good coach and he's done a good job but I think this years team is illustrative of something. He had this success when he had good players. I believe that last year he had the league's leading rusher and the all time conference passing leader. These guys are gone now. This is the first time that he's been a HC at a school for more then three years. So he has never coached a team that were all his recruits until this year. This is year 5 for him so all of these players are his recruits and it looks like the program is taking a step backwards.
Also in Houston's 4 plus years at ECU he's won on average 4.7 games per year. In GS's 3 plus years he's averaged 4 wins.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop saying that. Do you now of places that GS applie to and was turned down?
I do know that a SEC school's administration was ready to hire him and a six time Super Bowl winning coach named him as his defensive coordinator. This wasn't the case of a friend hiring a friend to give him a job. If so he would have hired him as a defensive analyst or something like that.He was going to be the coordinator.
I know that you're a big Houston fan and I think he's a good coach and he's done a good job but I think this years team is illustrative of something. He had this success when he had good players. I believe that last year he had the league's leading rusher and the all time conference passing leader. These guys are gone now. This is the first time that he's been a HC at a school for more than three years. So he has never coached a team that were all his recruits until this year. This is year 5 for him so all of these players are his recruits and it looks like the program is taking a step backwards.

So much wrong in this post, I’ll break it down question by question.

1. Do I know the number of places Greg applied to and was rejected? Not the exact number but I do know that with how lucrative CFB coaches are paid you aren’t taking guest spots on the BTN if you have a better option.

#2 That SEC schools fanbase revolted so much at the thought of hiring Greg they forced them to make a different hire. They used the Paterno affiliation as an excuse simply not to hire a coach they knew was a loser

#3 Did he take the job with Belicheck?

#4 did Ohio states defense statistically get better once he left mid season?

#5 find me an available head coach with a 103-53 or better HC record whose an east coast guy making under $2 million a year, I’m all ears!

#6 Greg Schiano is simply a retread of Randy Edsall at UConn. A hire made to appease the fans still holding onto memories of 15+ years ago

So much wrong in this post, I’ll break it down question by question.

1. Do I know the number of places Greg applied to and was rejected? Not the exact number but I do know that with how lucrative CFB coaches are paid you aren’t taking guest spots on the BTN if you have a better option.

#2 That SEC schools fanbase revolted so much at the thought of hiring Greg they forced them to make a different hire. They used the Paterno affiliation as an excuse simply not to hire a coach they knew was a loser

#3 Did he take the job with Belicheck?

#4 did Ohio states defense statistically get better once he left mid season?

#5 find me an available head coach with a 103-53 or better HC record whose an east coast guy making under $2 million a year, I’m all ears!

#6 Greg Schiano is simply a retread of Randy Edsall at UConn. A hire made to appease the fans still holding onto memories of 15+ years ago
Thanks for the corrections but allow me to counter:

1. Can you name me three schools that GS contacted but was rejected? If you can't then what you're saying is just speculation.
2. So the athletic department and the university administration thought GS was good enough to be their head coach and it's only due to a fan revolt that he wasn't the coach? Tells me more about Tennessee then it does GS.
3. Doesn't matter if he worked a day on the job or not but one of the greatest football coaches of all time offered him a coordinator job. That, along with #2 , show that there were places he could have worked and was not the unwanted by anyone commodity.
4. Irrelevant. We were discussing his options AFTER he left tOSU.
5. You're going to have to keep those ears open becasue I maybe dense put I don't understand your point. Are you referring to Houston? If so I'd be willing to talk about him. First being that he isn't an East Coast guy. He's a Carolinas guy.
6. That's just an opinion which I disagree with. He may turn out to be Edsall 2.0 but we'll have to wait and see.

Edit: This from a Sports Illustrated article from November 2019.
"Schiano drew interest from other teams for head coaching jobs including Tennessee."

Last edited:

1. Can you name me three schools that GS contacted but was rejected? If you can't then what you're saying is just speculation.
2. So the athletic department and the university administration thought GS was good enough to be their head coach and it's only due to a fan revolt that he wasn't the coach? Tells me more about Tennessee then it does GS.
3. Doesn't matter if he worked a day on the job or not but one of the greatest football coaches of all time offered him a coordinator job. That, along with #2 , show that there were places he could have worked and was not the unwanted by anyone commodity.
5. You're going to have to keep those ears open becasue I maybe dense put I don't understand your point. Are you referring to Houston? If so I'd be willing to talk about him. First being that he isn't an East Coast guy. He's a Carolinas guy.
6. That's just an opinion which I disagree with. He may turn out to be Edsall 2.0 but we'll have to wait and see.

"Schiano drew interest from other teams for head coaching jobs including Tennessee."
1. That type of information is kept private in nearly every instance. Do you really think that Greg just sat around from 2013-2016 especially and didnt reach out to programs/coaches for a job? Silly…

2. Tennessee fans demand excellence. They were done with Butch Jones in 2017 and saw Greg as just another retread of what they had.

3. Of course it matters if he actually coaches something. Getting an offer and showing it on the field are two entirely different things. Gavin wimsatt had an offer out of high school from notre dame, Oregon, and Michigan. You really think any of those schools have a scholly for him now if he wants to transfer?

4. Entirely relevant and ties into point 3, what you do with your opportunities matter more than simply having the opportunities themselves. Reality is as a DC in his final year before bailing mid season OSU’s defense was not even ranked in the top 50 nationally with guys like Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Jeff okudah, Jordan fuller, and Barron Browning… if you can’t manage a top 50 defense with those guys what in the world business do you have being a HC in todays game. Additional point to OSU, Urban Meyer has lost ALL credibility at this point as someone to work under, particularly later in his career

5. JMU where he won a NC is in the Carolina’s?

6. It’s year 4 now of Greg, it’s bowl or bust, plain and simple. Our schedule is only about to get harder next year

Last edited:

no dog here as my views are well known both for and against however, your 1st point is somewhat ironic as it's the same for both sides.

in reality however, when coaches are in consideration, the news is usually disseminated. We received no such news for Greg. Greg really was not sought after as much as people want to believe.

I'm all ears if you can point schools that he interviewed at or were interested other than TN. If you can't, in all likelihood, he wasn't and Yessir is correct (speculative sure but closer to the truth by a betting man)

I don't think that many people would call Harrisonburg, VA, East Coast. I'm quite aware of the location of JMU.
I'm with you on the need to get to a bowl game this year.
The rest of this stuff isn't worth arguing about. We both want the same thing and that is to see RU win.

I don't think that many people would call Harrisonburg, VA, East Coast. I'm quite aware of the location of JMU.
I'm with you on the need to get to a bowl game this year.
The rest of this stuff isn't worth arguing about. We both want the same thing and that is to see RU win.
I would call Harrisonburg just as East Coast as State College and certainly more than the Chicago Bears which was where Greg Came from. You can argue Miami is East coast but Florida in General is a completely different animal that the mid atlantic.

With everything at play here, Greg now in his fourth year, flashy big money coordinator, top recruit QB he "hand picked", if we don't win the next 2 what are we doing here? For real if we can't beat an MSU team that's been riddled with scandal after scandal the last few years who just fired their coach 2 weeks ago and Indiana who is on the verge of firing Tom Allen at any minute then we have to re-evaluate everything. This schedule is only about to get harder next year, these are the games we HAVE to win if we're ever going to get to where we want

The B1G Refs have been atrocious in games involving RU. ummmm

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It rarely works out with freshman is all. It’s not to say these guys can’t eventually be good players for us, it’s just incredibly rare for a freshman to be able to step in at the speed of this conference and have success.

Changing the parameters now are we….

What started off as ‘the team is worse than what he inherited’ to has now morphed into ‘If he finishes with only 3 wins and has another poor season next year’… if you wanna keep changing the argument to try to win it have at it.

What’s hilarious as well is your ignorance on why I was so adamant about Houston in 2019, you see you couldn’t bother to realize my main argument is that he has successfully turned around now 4 separate programs all as a HC, was an east coast guy, won a NC in 2016, and was actually attainable as I don’t live under the delusion that Rutgers will ever attract a name coach.

You’re now trying to have an ‘Aha!’ moment for yelling about one down year for a program that lost its QB, RB, top 2 wr’s, TE, and 4 starting offensive lineman from last year…. At a program Houston took to back to back bowl games who hadn’t been to a bowl game since 2015….

Greg’s resume since 2011 can’t hold Mike Houston’s jockstrap

Your entitled to your opinion. I see it differently. East Carolina sent Ruffin McNeil packing after one 5-7 season. That was following back to back to back 8-5, 10-3 and 8-5 seasons. If Houston doesn’t turn things around this year he will be on the hot seat there. That would mean 3 out of his 5 years with a losing record including the most recent one.

Also - success at an FCS school is meaningless in terms of likely success at the power conference level. It’s complete apples and oranges. Taking a coach based on just FCS success would’ve been a huge gamble - much like when we went with Ash. We couldn’t do that. Oh yeah - being able to turn East Carolina types into occasional 7/8 win teams isn’t more impressive than what Schiano did to make RU a respectable B-10 program. Do you think Skip Holtz is a miracle coach too? His record was better than Houston’s and he inherited worse - a lot worse…. How’d that work out for him in the Big East?

Your entitled to your opinion. I see it differently. East Carolina sent Ruffin McNeil packing after one 5-7 season. That was following back to back to back 8-5, 10-3 and 8-5 seasons. If Houston doesn’t turn things around this year he will be on the hot seat there. That would mean 3 out of his 5 years with a losing record including the most recent one.

Also - success at an FCS school is meaningless in terms of likely success at the power conference level. It’s complete apples and oranges. Taking a coach based on just FCS success would’ve been a huge gamble - much like when we went with Ash. We couldn’t do that. Oh yeah - being able to turn East Carolina types into occasional 7/8 win teams isn’t more impressive than what Schiano did to make RU a respectable B-10 program. Do you think Skip Holtz is a miracle coach too? His record was better than Houston’s and he inherited worse - a lot worse…. How’d that work out for him in the Big East?
Ruffin McNeal was fired back in 2015 before Houston was even a thought. Bcoincidentally that firing is one of the biggest reasons ECU fired their AD in 2017 and are under completely new leadership.

To think a guy will be on the hot seat for one bad year when he’s replacing quite literally the entire offense is pure delusion. Greg gets every excuse in the world for not making a bowl. I PROMISE you that if we make back to back bowls with 8 wins in the latter and have a down season the following year due to high roster turnover NO ONE will care.

Also fcs coaches don’t translate? Hmm tell that to Jimbo Fisher, Ed odgeron, and Deion Sanders. Moronic statement
Your reaching badly here

Ruffin McNeal was fired back in 2015 before Houston was even a thought. Bcoincidentally that firing is one of the biggest reasons ECU fired their AD in 2017 and are under completely new leadership.

To think a guy will be on the hot seat for one bad year when he’s replacing quite literally the entire offense is pure delusion. Greg gets every excuse in the world for not making a bowl. I PROMISE you that if we make back to back bowls with 8 wins in the latter and have a down season the following year due to high roster turnover NO ONE will care.

Also fcs coaches don’t translate? Hmm tell that to Jimbo Fisher, Ed odgeron, and Deion Sanders. Moronic statement
Your reaching badly here
Some good FCS coaches pan out. Some don’t at all. That’s the point. There isn’t that much correlation. You seem to keep missing the point of how much harder it is to elevate a struggling power conference program. A 7 win season in the AAC is like 4 or 5 win season in the BIG East. You can’t possibly argue this as Schiano hasn’t lost a single non-conference game yet- literally not one.

Some good FCS coaches pan out. Some don’t at all. That’s the point. There isn’t that much correlation. You seem to keep missing the point of how much harder it is to elevate a struggling power conference program. A 7 win season in the AAC is like 4 or 5 win season in the BIG East. You can’t possibly argue this as Schiano hasn’t lost a single non-conference game yet- literally not one.
It’s difficult to elevate any program in any conference who was 3-9 for three consecutive years prior to arrival.

Reality is teams like ECU have arguably harder schedules in terms of win accumulation in the sense that ECU does not have the luxury of early season easy wins the way P5 teams do. Teams in the AAC are the east wins themselves.

We aren’t going to find an actually attainable coach with a proven track record of turning programs around quickly easily. The guys with proven FBS track records aren’t interested in Rutgers, we gotta look deep once Greg’s done

It’s difficult to elevate any program in any conference who was 3-9 for three consecutive years prior to arrival.

Reality is teams like ECU have arguably harder schedules in terms of win accumulation in the sense that ECU does not have the luxury of early season easy wins the way P5 teams do. Teams in the AAC are the east wins themselves.

We aren’t going to find an actually attainable coach with a proven track record of turning programs around quickly easily. The guys with proven FBS track records aren’t interested in Rutgers, we gotta look deep once Greg’s done
ECU’s only win was Gardner-Webb. Harder schedules argument is laughable.

p.s. Houston didn't turn anything around at JMU. They haven't had a losing season since 2002. They were 9-3 and 9-4 in the two years before he arrived. A far cry from taking over a B1G 10 East team coming off of 2-10 and 1-11 seasons.
Kudos to him on taking JMU over the top but it's interesting to see that ECU is the first school where he has been for more than three years. This brings up his recruiting. In year 5 at ECU this is the first year that the entire roster is made up of his recruits and they're 1-4.
His first HC job was at Lenoir - Rhyne were he took over a 7-4 team. He did turn around The Citadel but he was only there for two years.
He's a good coach but he's not the program savior who's turned around four different programs as some people make him out to be

why do people bother with trolls like yessir and shelby? Do you like screaming at walls too?
Dude, no one cares what you have to say.

You have the same response to anyone who doesn’t follow your thought process.

You’ve called no short of 20 posters ‘Trolls’ on this board in just the last 6 months. You have no other comebacks and simply resort to that when you you have no counter argument. You just wanna live in la la land and believe every Rutgers fan has to think like you do, WRONG!

ECU’s only win was Gardner-Webb. Harder schedules argument is laughable.
We aren’t going to find an actual attainable coach with a proven track record of turning around programs at the P5 level. None of those guys are considering Rutgers.

Interesting that 4 years ago I talked about Houston, and during all the success no one said a thing, all the sudden they have one bad year and the pitchforks are out for those that got butthurt that I refuse to believe a retread who hasn’t been relevant in over a decade is the answer

We aren’t going to find an actual attainable coach with a proven track record of turning around programs at the P5 level. None of those guys are considering Rutgers.

Interesting that 4 years ago I talked about Houston, and during all the success no one said a thing, all the sudden they have one bad year and the pitchforks are out for those that got butthurt that I refuse to believe a retread who hasn’t been relevant in over a decade is the answer
Exactly. And that’s why Greg was the answer in this situation. We were at rock bottom and desperately needed to pick someone who was a guarantee to at least restore mediocrity (or as Politi put it - “sucking normal”). Go ahead and preach how that’s losers mentality but that was the predicament Ash left us in. We couldn’t take another gamble. Don’t try to tell me Houston or any other guy like that was a slam dunk to stop that bleeding. I again bring you Skip Holtz - exhibit A - one of many small team up and coming guys who failed miserably at South Florida (when they played in the Big East). A guy who was more successful at EC than Houston has been - inheriting worse. With the realignment landscape the way it is - we could not afford to remain the blatant laughing stock for another second. Needed an immediate return to respectability and Schiano delivered that at the best price point we could afford. That’s the reality of this discussion. The picture you try to portray of some of our fans claiming that Schiano is perfect is simply not true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wagram97
I don't believe that Houston is leaving the South. If he continues to do well (which at this point is debatable) he's waiting for Duke, NC St or UNC to open. At 51 years of age he has time.

I don't believe that Houston is leaving the South. If he continues to do well (which at this point is debatable) he's waiting for Duke, NC St or UNC to open. At 51 years of age he has time.
He would’ve taken the job in 2019 but he wasn’t even on the radar and for good reason. He has no ties whatsoever up north. He wasn’t a guy with a proven track record leading a turnaround at the major conference level. Those were both boxes we needed to check and he didn’t fit the mold.

Reactions: colbert17
He would’ve taken the job in 2019 but he wasn’t even on the radar and for good reason. He has no ties whatsoever up north. He wasn’t a guy with a proven track record leading a turnaround at the major conference level. Those were both boxes we needed to check and he didn’t fit the mold.
It's hilarious to me that this is even being debated.
A 23-28/13-20 coach in the American Conference, never finished higher than 3rd place in conference, currently sitting at 1-4/0-1 is a candidate for a P-5 job?

It's hilarious to me that this is even being debated.
A 23-28/13-20 coach in the American Conference, never finished higher than 3rd place in conference, currently sitting at 1-4/0-1 is a candidate for a P-5 job?
Look here’s the thing. We had an opportunity to take a chance on an up and coming FCS head coach back when Flood was let go. That was the time to do it. We still had a nucleus of a power conference roster (albeit not a great one) for a new guy with head coaching experience to start with. It would’ve made sense then. Instead we rolled the dice with someone with no head coaching experience thinking the ties to OSU would help with recruiting more. This strategy busted big time because Ash had no idea what he was doing as a game day coach or player developer. Arguably, any proven lower level coach would’ve had more early success than him. And then when your team starts dropping 78-0 decisions, recruiting becomes impossible too.

Fast forward then to 2019 and then there was no nucleus of even a bad P5 roster from a talent gap perspective: What I mean by this is that the trenches and other areas were so terrible it was unrealistic to expect any coach to be able come in and perform at a mediocre level in conference without a major roster overhaul. The east division of our conference is just too good and we were also lined up to play the best of the west those early Schiano years. That meant we needed to go with someone with proven power conference recruiting success to have a reasonable chance of restoring respectability in the short / medium term. An FCS up and coming wasn’t an option for this reason so I don’t know why people keep suggesting we should’ve gone that route.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Look here’s the thing. We had an opportunity to take a chance on an up and coming FCS head coach back when Flood was let go. That was the time to do it. We still had a nucleus of a power conference roster (albeit not a great one) for a new guy with head coaching experience to start with. It would’ve made sense then. Instead we rolled the dice with someone with no head coaching experience thinking the ties to OSU would help with recruiting more. This strategy busted big time because Ash had no idea what he was doing as a game day coach or player developer. Arguably, any proven lower level coach would’ve had more early success than him. And then when your team starts dropping 78-0 decisions, recruiting becomes impossible too.

Fast forward then to 2019 and then there was no nucleus of even a bad P5 roster from a talent gap perspective: What I mean by this is that the trenches and other areas were so terrible it was unrealistic to expect any coach to be able come in and perform at a mediocre level in conference without a major roster overhaul. The east division of our conference is just too good and we were also lined up to play the best of the west those early Schiano years. That meant we needed to go with someone with proven power conference recruiting success to have a reasonable chance of restoring respectability in the short / medium term. An FCS up and coming wasn’t an option for this reason so I don’t know why people keep suggesting we should’ve gone that route.
Agreed 100%. I hate to beat this drum, why bother continually debating the topic with trolls? yessir and shelby are trolls- either intentionally as fans of another team, or they just like the attention they get by continually posting ballbusting mindless drivel. Sorry for the rant, but this crap got old a long time ago with them. There are certainly some things all of us true fans would like to see being done better at this stage of Greg 2.0, but it is not all gloom and doom, and trying to argue that a guy like Houston would have been better just shows a poster's true troll colors. Have a nice day. You are a fantastic fan, and I love your passion for Rutgers.

Agreed 100%. I hate to beat this drum, why bother continually debating the topic with trolls? yessir and shelby are trolls- either intentionally as fans of another team, or they just like the attention they get by continually posting ballbusting mindless drivel. Sorry for the rant, but this crap got old a long time ago with them. There are certainly some things all of us true fans would like to see being done better at this stage of Greg 2.0, but it is not all gloom and doom, and trying to argue that a guy like Houston would have been better just shows a poster's true troll colors. Have a nice day. You are a fantastic fan, and I love your passion for Rutgers.
You are right. I’m in a lose lose because I don’t like the block feature. I just hate the interruption in the flow of the string when posts are missing (even when I think the content is riducious). Then I can’t help but respond to something I read that I think is ridiculous. As I said - lose lose -ha

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
You are right. I’m in a lose lose because I don’t like the block feature. I just hate the interruption in the flow of the string when posts are missing (even when I think the content is riducious). Then I can’t help but respond to something I read that I think is ridiculous. As I said - lose lose -ha
Can we start a Jerry Kill is Killing It thread, and look lovingly at his fine work at New Mexico State?

7-6 last year with a win in the Quick Lane Bowl.
4-3 this year, taking down the mighty Sam Houston last night! We should have . . . . . . (total sarcasm). 😜🤕

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT