ADVERTISEMENT

Year 2 can be worse than year 1

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Not saying that is going to happen, but it happens. Shea and flood year one looked better than year 2, well lots of years looked bad with those guys. But our savior schiano it was buffanova and the guy fielding the kickoff and running out of bounds at our 4 yard line in one of those games.
So it can look worse this year than last, even if some progress is apparently being made. Surprised mostly threads on us being optimistic, and their are reasons . But not many threads on the possibility that year 2 can look worse.

0_big.jpg

And it could be better. Guess we'll have to wait and see

Year 2 was always supposed to be worse than year 1, it was after the last of the Schiano recruits graduate and before the Ash recruits became the core of the team.

HOWEVER....

That was before Ash added EIGHT transfers to this team, almost all from power five conference teams. Players like Washington, Anderson, the Mitchell brothers, maybe even Russell and Bolin will be major contributors to this team.

All we need is our offensive line to not be terrible (which is not a given) and we have a shot to double or even triple our win total.

It's going to be really tough to play at a lower level compared to last year. We're talking the 128th ranked offense(dead last) and 94th ranked defense. Basically, practice would have to consist of drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and eating donuts for that to take place.

It's going to be really tough to play at a lower level compared to last year. We're talking the 128th ranked offense(dead last) and 94th ranked defense. Basically, practice would have to consist of drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and eating donuts for that to take place.

I hope we don't . However there are many major Procrastinators out there.
He## the USA Today Sports just ranked RU as the #124 FBS Program in 2017.
As in #124 behind UCONN, UMASS( 2 wins last year), Texas State, and Charlotte.
WTF
At least they had us just ahead of Georgia State.

Until we prove it on the field, and win some games RU will continue to be ranked low. With that said I think we win 3 games, but put up better numbers on both offense and defense.

Year 2 was always supposed to be worse than year 1, it was after the last of the Schiano recruits graduate and before the Ash recruits became the core of the team.

HOWEVER....

That was before Ash added EIGHT transfers to this team, almost all from power five conference teams. Players like Washington, Anderson, the Mitchell brothers, maybe even Russell and Bolin will be major contributors to this team.
This!!! Ash has made great strides in bolstering the talent with transfers. But if Ash can't beat Morgan State, he deserves to be fired on the spot. Between EMU and Purdue, there's a very good chance we'll get a second win. That'll equal last year's win total and we won't be worse than last year. Me? I've got us at 3-wins.

OP - you must be loads of fun at a party.

It's not about being loads of anything, let's add some objectivity the party convo. A party otherwise is certainly not loads of fun

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably predict that we are better than last year . But just wanted to throw out the very strong possibility that we are not

Lol could you hedge anymore? i guess if you had to actually make a bonafide prediction that wouldn't allow you to freely bash the staff though.

Our offense cannot be more anemic than last season. We have to believe that going into the season as RU fans.

That alone is a positive.

U want objectivity? How bout QB to start.. Upgrade...RB..Upgrade...WR.. Upgrade...TE..Upgrade...OL...coin flip...(I do believe that better skill players will keep defenses a lil more honest...taking a lil pressure off the OL.... DL..slight improvement...LB...Upgrade...DB...by far best unit... ST's... P...upgrade...K...not sure yet...coverage teams..Upgrade...(more talent on team, more depth, allows better players to play on coverage units...). The talent difference between last year and this year is night and day...Will this translate into more wins? Who knows...But we will be more competitive against the better teams on the schedule.... Grad transfers make a huge difference for a program like us...While I'm not expecting guys like Mitchell, Bolin, or Edwards to be all conference..... They are solid, experienced P5 players, who know what they are getting into each week...Then u throw in youngsters like Melton, Blackshear...a healthy Grant... That alone changes how opponents have to prepare for us... Heck...I didn't even mention the coaching upgrades....unless we get demolished by injuries, and Kill is worse than DM...year 2 will be an improvement... Even if we only win 3 games...

Not saying that is going to happen, but it happens. Shea and flood year one looked better than year 2, well lots of years looked bad with those guys. But our savior schiano it was buffanova and the guy fielding the kickoff and running out of bounds at our 4 yard line in one of those games.
So it can look worse this year than last, even if some progress is apparently being made. Surprised mostly threads on us being optimistic, and their are reasons . But not many threads on the possibility that year 2 can look worse.
No it can't.

Reactions: RickB113
O
U want objectivity? How bout QB to start.. Upgrade...RB..Upgrade...WR.. Upgrade...TE..Upgrade...OL...coin flip...(I do believe that better skill players will keep defenses a lil more honest...taking a lil pressure off the OL.... DL..slight improvement...LB...Upgrade...DB...by far best unit... ST's... P...upgrade...K...not sure yet...coverage teams..Upgrade...(more talent on team, more depth, allows better players to play on coverage units...). The talent difference between last year and this year is night and day...Will this translate into more wins? Who knows...But we will be more competitive against the better teams on the schedule.... Grad transfers make a huge difference for a program like us...While I'm not expecting guys like Mitchell, Bolin, or Edwards to be all conference..... They are solid, experienced P5 players, who know what they are getting into each week...Then u throw in youngsters like Melton, Blackshear...a healthy Grant... That alone changes how opponents have to prepare for us... Heck...I didn't even mention the coaching upgrades....unless we get demolished by injuries, and Kill is worse than DM...year 2 will be an improvement... Even if we only win 3 games...

Another one didn't read the initial post

You forgot the coaching upgrades. Kill and Erb are improvements over their predecessors. They have years of experience

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Wondering why I can see this thread, thought I blocked Penn St. oops I mean "Plum St." a while ago .. oh well, troll feeding session is over, time to rectify that mistake

"IF" it ends up being another 2 win season, Ash a good coach? Retain his job?
Not thinking this will happen, but what "IF" ?
Curious....

Graber went from 3-8 to 6-5 from Y1 to Y2. Dick Anderson went from 7-3 to 2-8-1 from Y1 to Y2 (wonder why we played only 10 games in '84?). I'm hoping for a Graber-like improvement but it seems year 2 is generally worse than the first.

You forgot the coaching upgrades. Kill and Erb are improvements over their predecessors. They have years of experience

If u read the last few lines, u can clearly see I didn't forget... I just wanted to focus on the upgrades at the positions...

Not sure how this year will turn out but I will say the following. The word progress must be omitted from any sentence if we finish equal to last year. It would be a disaster which is why I believe we win 4 or 5 games.

This!!! Ash has made great strides in bolstering the talent with transfers. But if Ash can't beat Morgan State, he deserves to be fired on the spot. Between EMU and Purdue, there's a very good chance we'll get a second win. That'll equal last year's win total and we won't be worse than last year. Me? I've got us at 3-wins.
Wrong

I will probably predict that we are better than last year . But just wanted to throw out the very strong possibility that we are not

O

Another one didn't read the initial post

Yes I did...But also read about the "strong possibility" we won't improve... U use Schiano, And Shea's year 2 as examples... But you fail to take into account the fact that Ash was able to make use of grad transfers to improve the talent in the program... Schiano in year 2 had to rely on alot of underclassmen in key positions... Not a valid comparison IMO....

Graber went from 3-8 to 6-5 from Y1 to Y2. Dick Anderson went from 7-3 to 2-8-1 from Y1 to Y2 (wonder why we played only 10 games in '84?). I'm hoping for a Graber-like improvement but it seems year 2 is generally worse than the first.

10 games because we agreed to reschedule our game against Miami so TV could air Miami/BC, which ended up being the Fluite-to-Phelan Hail Mary game. We also kind of got screwed out of a bowl bid that year (Cherry Bowl at the Silverdome, which took 7-3-1 Army over us though we beat Army that season; Army ended up beating Michigan State 10-6 I think. We had beaten Army 14-7 at the Meadowlands.)

Joe P.

Last edited:
Year 2, in many cases, is a much harder year for a head coach. The honey moon period is over.

Was this thread necessary??

How else are we crap on the team? We could lose the opportunity to bask in our self-pity if this team comes out and beats Washington on 9/1. Eastern Michigan followed Morgan State would mean the team is 3-0 before we can gleefully predict a thrashing in Lincoln. Get your priorities in order man!

I see a drastic improvement on the offensive side of the ball no matter who is the QB as just the coaching alone and the return of Grant will change the dynamics. The big concern has to be the defense as there are no studs in the front 7 that will help stop the run and if that doesn't happen it won't matter how good your back 4 are(and I thing they are decent). Chris Ash better come up with some good schemes or RU's defense will be a sieve again.

I think we can surprise a lot of people in year 2 and end up winning 6 games. No one gives us any respect (with the exception of Morgan St, EMU and Purdue - they must). They all have us marked down as a cake walk - easy win - nothing to worry about. No matter what their coaches may say... the players will remember how easy we were to blow off the field.

It's years 3-4 and 5 that have me concerned. That's when people will be preparing for us. My biggest worry is that we haven't refilled our talent with top recruits. Regardless of the decent prospects we have signed or received verbals from... they aren't enough. We need to start getting the best from the area pronto. Sure... it seems like no big deal when 3-4 or 5 of them leave and commit to PSU, Mich, ND, NC St, Baylor.... but this handful of kids could be difference makers.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT