ADVERTISEMENT

Young’s performance one for the ages

Game/scenario was Dejavu to last year at Purdue. Win needed at very difficult road spot to seal tournament bid, etc,.. JY’s move to hoop for 3pt play in OT was a true flashback to that Monster “punch the ticket” dunk over Haarms at Purdue last year!

Why didn’t Pike give Young the ball on final play of regulation instead of Geo?

Young would have gotten into the paint and created a scoring opportunity.

That's what I was alluding to. I think Pike has been very loyal to Geo, and I understand why, and love Geo, and he may still make the clutch shot soon. And he played pretty well today.

But, pike gave it to Geo at the end of regulation, for that reason. But I think after Geo wasn't able to end it right, Like finally put the ball in Jacob's hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: satnom
That’s the reason we locked up an ncaa bid today . This will live on in rutgers lore . Probably the gutsiest and best performance of any rutgers player in the past 40 years, considering what was on the line.

End of story .
The kids got stones

Reactions: Doteman
That’s the reason we locked up an ncaa bid today . This will live on in rutgers lore . Probably the gutsiest and best performance of any rutgers player in the past 40 years, considering what was on the line.

End of story .
Clearly best peformance of an RU player this year and probably better than the Douby NIT game and the Hodgson "perfect game" a few years before that, given the circumstances. And if it were just offense, maybe there were other better games (Harper and Geo have had a couple), but to play that well on offense, including dominating the OT, and shut down hard their best player with in your shirt defense, is what makes it so special. Might have to go back to John Battle for a better game.

I can see JY playing both in Europe and the NBA..reminds me of Hollis Copeland from the 1976 team. Best athlete from that team, ended up being called up to the Knicks for a few seasons..NBA teams like players that fit a role. JY can be useful as a shutdown defensive stopper. (who can sometimes take it to the hoop or pop a 3). 10-15 minute a game guy, to stick with Steph or the likes..
He had kind of a national TV NBA audition today. His improvement in dishing was also on display...Of course it would be nice if he comes back for another year, with a lot of preseason BT All star hype, a lot more national TV games, etc ..Would elevate his pro stock even more (and lead RU to further success)

Last edited:
True. MN was getting a breakaway layup for the win if not for Youngs steal. Saved the season.

That may have been one of the most clutch RU performances ever and that steal might be the single greatest play in Rutgers basketball history. The four point play against Nova? Billet against GT? Dadika jumpers against PSU? Can’t count Princeton player missing free throw. Geo’s shots last year?

Kind of reminds me of the great football moments:
1. Ray Rice run against Pitt.
2. Brian Leonard Screen against Louisville.

Last edited:

this photo should be forever etched in Rutgers lore. The Immaculate Interception?

You look at that photo and just in awe at what Young did!! And in RU context and certainly since 76 or perhaps 78-79 but it is easily the most important RU play in the past 40 plus years!

Last edited:
Reactions: ruman
Perhaps you can shed some light on who is at fault since you come across as in the know.

Ps........ressurecting these JY threads is eerily like obsessing over a picture of an ex after a breakup.
Agreed. Really weird hero worshipping thing going on since mid-season and it continues even though he has a new address across the country.

W
Perhaps you can shed some light on who is at fault since you come across as in the know.

Ps........ressurecting these JY threads is eerily like obsessing over a picture of an ex after a breakup.
Well, if an ex gave you the best time in 40 years , you might thank and remember

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT