ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: 2/13 NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS

RU would need to win out regular season and get at least one Big 10 tourney win to claw its way back to a 5 seed but RU still has potential to finish over Iowa and Northwestern in the seed line for NCAA tourney
I disagree as 4 wins would probably give us a double bye and a loss in tournament would still give us 5 seed

the top 5 seeds are very hard to break into right now. Miami is solid there, UConn would have to tank not to get a 5, and St Marys if they win WCC are golden here.

One spot up for grabs.....NW, TCU, Iowa, San Diego State, Creighton leading contenders.

RU is in the next grouping a couple of notches back with Illinois, Maryland, Mich State, Duke,

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
the top 5 seeds are very hard to break into right now. Miami is solid there, UConn would have to tank not to get a 5, and St Marys if they win WCC are golden here.

One spot up for grabs.....NW, TCU, Iowa, San Diego State, Creighton leading contenders.

RU is in the next grouping a couple of notches back with Illinois, Maryland, Mich State, Duke,
Aren’t Net rankings the most important barometer of seeding? If so, Miami is behind us in Net, and Nothwestern and Iowa are well behind us

Oklahoma State got shellacked by TCU 100-75. No shame in losing a Quad 1 road game, but losing by that much is. They remain bubblicious along with West Virginia and now suddenly Texas Tech has thrown their hat into the ring

Aren’t Net rankings the most important barometer of seeding? If so, Miami is behind us in Net, and Nothwestern and Iowa are well behind us

no. the NET is more of a sorting tool than seeding tool. It certainly is beneficial to have a strong net rather than not but more goes into the seeding process.

for example UConn is 8 in the NET but not listed in the NCAA reveal today.

NW and Iowa have some advantages further in their profile that put them ahead of RU right now. Can RU get past one or both them? Sure but those schools seem to be playing at a high level right now. Will they hit the skids?

From a seeding perspective think we want Pitt to lose at Va Tech and Duke to lose at Cuse tonight. I guess Sparty to lose vs Michigan too, but I don't particularly want Michigan coming to the RAC with any momentum either.

VaTech line stood out to me... Favored by 5.5 at home over Pitt..

Reactions: RU23
Teams out of the field not faring well. Seton Hall, Wake Forest, Florida, Oklahoma all lose. Texas Tech of all teams the exception.

From a seeding perspective think we want Pitt to lose at Va Tech and Duke to lose at Cuse tonight. I guess Sparty to lose vs Michigan too, but I don't particularly want Michigan coming to the RAC with any momentum either.

I think it’s better for us for Michigan to fall. Their hopes are hanging by a thread. Ideally they’ll lose in OT, breaking their hearts. If they think their season’s goals were just extinguished, our chances of winning go up. By the same token, a win over MSU could breathe new life into them and get the adrenaline rushing.

And unless mankind will go extinct otherwise, I cannot root for Boeheim.

Reactions: cicero grimes
You are not correct about above. I googled most important metrics for NCAA seeding and Net is #1. That being the case, it is not out of the question to get a number 5 seed if we win even 3 of the next 4 and gets a double bye

I think it’s better for us for Michigan to fall. Their hopes are hanging by a thread. Ideally they’ll lose in OT, breaking their hearts. If they think their season’s goals were just extinguished, our chances of winning go up. By the same token, a win over MSU could breathe new life into them and get the adrenaline rushing.

And unless mankind will go extinct otherwise, I cannot root for Boeheim.
Tend to agree. I can stomach a Syracuse win over Duke though.

yes and Nebby to beat Maryland as I am seeing the Terps as a 7 for some

You are not correct about above. I googled most important metrics for NCAA seeding and Net is #1. That being the case, it is not out of the question to get a number 5 seed if we win even 3 of the next 4 and gets a double bye

its not and uconn is your example

they just do not take the net and translate it to seeds....uconn has some very good wins and a 8 net and wasnt in the top 16

its not and uconn is your example

they just do not take the net and translate it to seeds....uconn has some very good wins and a 8 net and wasnt in the top 16
I am not saying Net is only barometer just most important. Our Ken Pom rating is even better than Net, so hard to imagine that it is inconceivable to become a 5 seed

i agree the net is important

the reasons why RU is up against as a 5 are that they have a horrible ooc sos of 308 and they dont have any non conference win of note

also the predictive metrics are generally very very low on the list if considered at all.....the reveal today showed that

Im not saying RU cannot get a 5..the Nebby loss was the 2nd Q3 loss makes it harder.,....in the last 4, while psu will be Q1, only Northwestern win a Q2 moves the needle

Mississippi State down 3 late at Ole Miss. Bulldogs have the ball coming out of a timeout though and Ole Miss's execution has been so bad that I have zero confidence in their ability to close it out.

Mississippi State down 3 late at Ole Miss. Bulldogs have the ball coming out of a timeout though and Ole Miss's execution has been so bad that I have zero confidence in their ability to close it out.
Going to OT

Absurd execution by Ole Miss in a tie game with the shot clock off and a timeout in their pocket. We've got overtime.

You see how teams like this are 2-11 in the league.

Mississippi State just Wieskamped in a three pointer up against the shot clock. They're gonna win.

i agree the net is important

the reasons why RU is up against as a 5 are that they have a horrible ooc sos of 308 and they dont have any non conference win of note

also the predictive metrics are generally very very low on the list if considered at all.....the reveal today showed that

Im not saying RU cannot get a 5..the Nebby loss was the 2nd Q3 loss makes it harder.,....in the last 4, while psu will be Q1, only Northwestern win a Q2 moves the needle
Miami hasn’t beaten anyone out of conference either besides us without Paul and Caleb’s first game back

Miami hasn’t beaten anyone out of conference either besides us without Paul and Caleb’s first game back

Maryland and Rutgers...EDIT its Providence and Rutgers

The committee doesn't care that Paul was out

Miami has a really fine resume

Last edited:
Pitt vs Virginia Tech is interesting. Pitt is still relatively safely in with a loss and Virginia Tech isn't that close with a win, but still.

Think he meant Providence
Beating Providence at home is not a major accomplishment. Not sure why it’s important to have a strong out of conference resume. What’s more important is playing in a league with 8 teams going to dance and beating a lot of those teams like Purdue and Indiana

Caught the last ten minutes of todays game. Huge win. In particular because it was a road win and technically a q1 I believe so lets go wiscy the rest of the year.

Now, its very likely as long as we just beat minny were in

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Texas A&M on their way to a Q1 win at Missouri, who is an interesting case in their own right. The metrics hate the Tigers but they have a win at Tennessee, neutral win over Illinois, and home wins over Arkansas, Iowa State, and Kentucky with no bad losses. They're safely in but not sure what to make of them as a team.

Reactions: bac2therac
Virginia Tech-nically alive but they really needed Mississippi State and Texas A&M to lose. Teams in the field have mostly been holding serve, with the exception of Wisconsin and maybe West Virginia but the Mountaineers are still safe. Hokies have some chances left though.

Bubble teams now saying their prayers and rooting for Louisville or Minnesota to do the unthinkable.

Virginia Tech-nically alive but they really needed Mississippi State and Texas A&M to lose. Teams in the field have mostly been holding serve, with the exception of Wisconsin and maybe West Virginia but the Mountaineers are still safe. Hokies have some chances left though.

Bubble teams now saying their prayers and rooting for Louisville or Minnesota to do the unthinkable.

thats still a pretty good win for them because Pitt is a team in the field...at least for now. Pitt has to avoid some missteps. Hokies are a long shot but still some time.

I dont think WVU is safe though..just 15-12, 9-12 in first 3 quads...now Tech at 15-12 has joined the bubble and even tho WVU has better net, its the win loss percentage that will be an issue..these schools must be plus 3 at the end . Their schedule is brutal..if they split they cant afford to lose big 12 opening round because then they fall to 17-15..thats a no go

Texas A&M on their way to a Q1 win at Missouri, who is an interesting case in their own right. The metrics hate the Tigers but they have a win at Tennessee, neutral win over Illinois, and home wins over Arkansas, Iowa State, and Kentucky with no bad losses. They're safely in but not sure what to make of them as a team.
yeah seeding is falling...remember they had to rally back to beat Tennessee last week after they blew that big lead...if they didnt have that one they would be on the bubble. But they are killing their seeding

All in all today has been a great day for Rutgers beyond the win

Reactions: cicero grimes
Um the committee might care that Miami lost to MD by 18 points. Where did you get the idea Miami beat MD?
my mistake, its Providence...quality ooc win looking better and better each day. Committee values ooc stuff when it comes to seeding and ooc sos. That is where Pike needs to do better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT