ADVERTISEMENT

Committee Chair on Mad Dog Radio-best answer on why no RU

Then just do away with conference tourneys and go immediately to Selection Sunday a day later. Oh wait they won't because money.
exactly. what is the point of penn state playing on fumes for 4 straight days of it doesn’t matter. What is the point of us beating purdue if it doesn’t matter. Remember the ncaa’s joke of a line that they are all about the student athlete? They even have those cheesy commercials during the tourney? It’s not at all. Imagine playing four games in four days only for it not to matter and saying that’s what best physically and mentally for the student athlete

Then just do away with conference tourneys and go immediately to Selection Sunday a day later. Oh wait they won't because money.
Then the last week of the regular season wouldn't matter to them. They just set the field at a certain point before it's over so they don't have to scramble on the last weekend, then stop paying attention entirely.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Then the last week of the regular season wouldn't matter to them. They just set the field at a certain point before it's over so they don't have to scramble on the last weekend, then stop paying attention entirely.
This is why pro sports > college sports then. At least pro sports the criteria for postseason play is black and white, 100% transparent.

In the past they valued quality wins over bad losses. Now suddenly theyve abandoned that
At the end of the day, they have spit in the face of people who try and rationalize this with data

They could have picked 10 different fields and rationalized it every time with the Sojos of the world and he would happily do their bidding cause he's been dying to peacock about rutgers needing to upgrade their schedule

But we got screwed as we should be in, in every one of the above made up scenarios

It's why we were in 95% of brackets

We got screwed...there is simply no rationalization...ESPECIALLY when you look at who got in!!!!!

Rutgers @ NW, home Indiana, @ Penn St(10 seed), @ Purdue(1seed)
Pittsburgh @ NW, home Virginia, @ NC St(11 seed), @ UNC????

Pitt lost to WVU by 25 and Michigan by 31

Rutgers 6-3 Q2, Pitt 3-5 Q2

Conf Rutgers 10-10, Pitt 14-6

Pitt was 7-2 vs 319 Louisville, 221 Fla St, 186 ND, 179 GA Tech, 168 BC
With losses home to FSU and @ ND

?????

• Wow
Reactions: HPNJRUfan
NC St Non conference wins Dayton, Vandy, AQ Furman and Butler
Home vs Duke, Home vs Miami
NC 3-5 vs the field
And lost a Neutral vs Kansas by 6

10-0 Q4
6-0 vs Louisville, ND, GA Tech, BC, FSU, 4 home, 2 road(BC, GT)
6 more Q4s at home between 218-335.

So I think what I'm taking away from all this is, don't schedule Q3 non-conference games. Instead of playing Temple and Seton Hall and Wake, play Gonzaga in Seattle. Play Kansas at MSG. If we lose, blown out even, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
So I think what I'm taking away from all this is, don't schedule Q3 non-conference games. Instead of playing Temple and Seton Hall and Wake, play Gonzaga in Seattle. Play Kansas at MSG. If we lose, blown out even, it doesn't matter.
Yes . Play a few quad 1s. . Then play all quad 4s at home so you don’t lose.
Move shu to neutral site so it’s a quad 2

Scheduling changes would be nice but simply don’t lose a double digit lead with 1 min to go against the worst team in the conference or lose to second worst team at home. Those two conference loses are what crushed us. Pike refusing to play the freshman hoping Paul would come out of his funk cost us. Simply watch the two UM games less then two weeks apart. Every team left out the committee will have a reason. The best part about analytics are the information it provides the worst is you can cut that data anyway you want to fit any narrative you want. Away from analytivs and conjecture about scheduling and injury is Ball, playing ball!!! Last 8 we had the wrong squad on the floor we lost crucial CONFERENCE games against the worst teams one at home. Pike coach better and win those games don’t allow the committee to
Take it away: CONFERENCE games not OOC cost us

Yes these tournaments didn’t mean anything
So are conference tournaments a pyramid scheme for money? So can we call the NCAA a mega church yet? College basketball and college football its religions? Maybe they can apply for tax exempt status in this country? It works for Scientology and FLDS..

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Total BS. Horrible job by the committee
Eliminate the Committee.
Only the Top 64 teams in NET should be in the NCAA Tournament.
#1 plays #64, 2 plays 63, 3 plays 62, etc.
#1 is in Bracket A, 2 in Bracket B, 3 in Bracket C, 4 in Bracket D.
Next #5 is in Bracket D, 6 in Bracket C, 7 in Bracket B and 8 in Bracket A.
Next #9 in Bracket A ................
Conference winners not in NET 64 automatically go to the NIT with
any NET #65 and above to follow until 32 teams are chosen.
Conference tournament winners are not considered Conference winners.
Take out any human decision making.

Eliminate the Committee.
Ok but we don’t get in last year!

Eliminate the Committee.
Well that wouldn’t have helped last year

That's fine. And would be fine in the future if we don't make the top 64 NET.
There is more wrong with the selection by humans than by a ranking based on performance.
I would say that’s fair but their is more wrong with the way people are understanding the numbers. Numbers very important context understanding and game’s intelligence more so.

You don’t know that
A 12-8 B1G Ten record would have put Rutgers above other league rivals who got a NCAA bid.Almost all the bracketolists predicted Rutgers in with a 10-10 league record.What was your prediction?

But if the NCAA hits their B1G cap on teams allowed in then they'll say oh well RU got blown out by Kansas.

But Boise State had a big win against Wyoming so they're in.

They will just change the rules instead of being honest about contempt for major conferences.

At the risk of infuriating everyone, let me quote the Washington Post's basketball writer: "And while it was a bit unexpected to see Nevada pop up, few are going to shed tears for an 18-15 Big 12 team [he means Oklahoma State] or a 19-14 Big Ten team (Rutgers) or an ACC team with only one high-end victory in ten tries (North Carolina). They had chances, they didn't take advantage, and now they're off to the NIT. (Or not, in UNC's case)."

Hey, I"m not endorsing the quote -- just passing it along.

At the risk of infuriating everyone, let me quote the Washington Post's basketball writer: "And while it was a bit unexpected to see Nevada pop up, few are going to shed tears for an 18-15 Big 12 team [he means Oklahoma State] or a 19-14 Big Ten team (Rutgers) or an ACC team with only one high-end victory in ten tries (North Carolina). They had chances, they didn't take advantage, and now they're off to the NIT. (Or not, in UNC's case)."

Hey, I"m not endorsing the quote -- just passing it along.
The Washington Post writer can eat shit.

Yeah, no one sheds a tear for those big, bad bluebloods like Rutgers. Go to Hell, WP. Everyone wants to be for the "little guy". The little guy being Nevada who has been in the tournament 3 of the last 5 held. Nevada had chances, they didn't take advantage and lost three straight to teams in the 90 Net area, and now are off to the NCAAs.

A 12-8 B1G Ten record would have put Rutgers above other league rivals who got a NCAA bid.Almost all the bracketolists predicted Rutgers in with a 10-10 league record.What was your prediction?
My prediction was they get a bye but committee obviously went rogue.

Yeah, no one sheds a tear for those big, bad bluebloods like Rutgers. Go to Hell, WP. Everyone wants to be for the "little guy". The little guy being Nevada who has been in the tournament 3 of the last 5 held. Nevada had chances, they didn't take advantage and lost three straight to teams in the 90 Net area, and now are off to the NCAAs.
Even worse. Looked it up. Nevada lost to 91, 95, and 172 in their last 3 games. 2 of those at home. But luckily for them, they were at full strength and couldn't blame it on an injury so it wasn't held against them.

You are missing my point. Every team after the top 10 or 20 has blemishes that the committee can use to justify the team being left out. Every team. Our strong q1 and q2 record, and our strong record against tournament teams is supposed to be considered, and it wasn’t. They ignored our strengths… and you are probably right, they ignored our strengths purposely.

Our season was better than many of the 11 seed at larges that got in over us.
'83, I don't disagree with anything you said. Down the stretch, if Penn State did not have the kind of season-ending wins, I think they would have been left out and we would have filled that spot. After all, we beat them twice. We beat Maryland and Michigan State (once), Northwestern (once), and Michigan (once). IMO, the game that killed us was the wasted opportunity in beating Minny up ten with 1:35 to go in that game. If we had hung on there, I think the committee would have looked more favorably at the Ohio State game where we got screwed. I believe that would have put us in the final bye line and not the last ones in, or in our case, the first ones out.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I get the anger. But ya know, we shoulda beat Temple and the hall and MN ..we just should have.

Ohio State robbery also hurts, but man, just stop with the sloppy ridiculous losses every year and get to 20 wins. Those losses always irked me, and then just looking hapless most the second half of the season.

I also don't think they could have kept us out had we beaten Purdue. They might not look as much at the conference tourneys but they can't flat out ignore them if something significant happens.

Just frustrating all around. They put us in last year which was a more bubble situation, and we didn't capitalize despite playing a great game and doing wonders for the tourney with it. We deserved to be in this year for sure, but the BIG has struggled recently and I'm not so sure how good it is this year tbh, AND we lost too many games, that at the time, we knew would hurt us this week...esp MN. Wasn't as easy as just beating Michigan. A few said that too and we called them haters and etc.

No more 2-3 shakey losses next year. Win your OOC schedule almost entirely save for a random loss or against a Q2 type team, and then play .500 ball in conference. Hell, even football can win their entire OOC schedule. Find a way to get it done. Can't play fast and loose all through the holidays finding rotations. Certain games that don't feel right.... just win.

No one would be saying OOC strength etc if we'd beaten temple and the hall and/or not lost to MN. It's not even that difficult. I get the frustration and surprise from inside the program and AD, but you can't keep dropping those games and just expecting to get a pass. Weak OOC is a fine philosophy, if you win. Schiano wins those games. Otherwise, go with a tougher schedule and then no shame at all if it takes a bit to find your footing. Plenty of teams in the field right now were struggling or having a "tough year" back in late December, only to hit their stride late, but those teams they played in NOV/DEC were more formidable, and so the early losses didn't hurt them as much. Not THAT crazy tbh.

Last edited:
I get the anger. But ya know, we shoulda beat Temple and the hall and MN ..we just should have.

Ohio State robbery also hurts, but man, just stop with the sloppy ridiculous losses every year and get to 20 wins. Those losses always irked me, and then just looking hapless most the second half of the season.

I also don't think they could have kept us out had we beaten Purdue. They might not look as much at the conference tourneys but they can't flat out ignore them if something significant happens.

Just frustrating all around. They put us in last year which was a more bubble situation, and we didn't capitalize despite playing a great game and doing wonders for the tourney with it. We deserved to be in this year for sure, but the BIG has struggled recently and I'm not so sure how good it is this year tbh, AND we lost too many games, that at the time, we knew would hurt us this week...esp MN. Wasn't as easy as just beating Michigan. A few said that too and we called them haters and etc.

No more 2-3 shakey losses next year. Win your OOC schedule almost entirely save for a random loss or against a Q2 type team, and then play .500 ball in conference. Hell, even football can win their entire OOC schedule. Find a way to get it done. Can't play fast and loose all through the holidays finding rotations. Certain games that don't feel right.... just win.

No one would be saying OOC strength etc if we'd beaten temple and the hall and/or not lost to MN. It's not even that difficult. I get the frustration and surprise from inside the program and AD, but you can't keep dropping those games and just expecting to get a pass. Weak OOC is a fine philosophy, if you win. Schiano wins those games. Otherwise, go with a tougher schedule and then no shame at all if it takes a bit to find your footing. Plenty of teams in the field right now were struggling or having a "tough year" back in late December, only to hit their stride late, but those teams they played in NOV/DEC were more formidable, and so the early losses didn't hurt them as much. Not THAT crazy tbh.
Also don’t forgot blowing a double digit lead to Miami at their house. It wasn’t a bad loss but had we held on those last few minutes we probably get in also having a big road OOC win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT