ADVERTISEMENT

0T: NJ top 42 public high schools, according to some list

The only difference between that and private is that you can’t kick out failing students.
Magnate Schools and Charter Schools can, have, and will. Esp Charter schools where they kick out borderline students after they get their tuition money from the state around October.

Magnet schools have kicked kids out if they’ll mess up their TOP SCHOOL standing.

It is when the kids from those towns have no choice but to go to that regional school.
Fair point. The towns providing the kids does change from time to time but not for some time. Other schools like Ramapo and Indian Hills can be chosen by residents of the 3 towns that support them

Northern Highlands is a regional. I don't consider them true public schools. Ridgewood definitely is.
How come you don’t consider a regional district a true public school? Isn’t it just a label used to consolidate multiple sending areas under one name?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
It's called regional but only Allendale students and about 50 kids from Saddle River go there. I wouldn't consider that regional.
Hohokus as well. Or at least they used to be part of it. Midland Park back in the day as well.

How come you don’t consider a regional district a true public school? Isn’t it just a label used to consolidate multiple sending areas under one name?
Multiple towns sending their kids there. And the sending towns can change if needed. My reference is more related to single town/school districts and athletics. Gives those schools advantages.

Being a top public school is like being the tallest midget.
I think about a quarter in my town send their kids to private. Most of the parents were private school kids so that makes sense. IMO, private schools definitely can help the cuspy kids get into better schools and kids that just need smaller class size. But kids who are smart and motivated will do fine in a public. Kids who are not exceptional will not get into the top tier colleges because they went to a private school.

I think about a quarter in my town send their kids to private. Most of the parents were private school kids so that makes sense. IMO, private schools definitely can help the cuspy kids get into better schools and kids that just need smaller class size. But kids who are smart and motivated will do fine in a public. Kids who are not exceptional will not get into the top tier colleges because they went to a private school.
Private school def gives kids a leg up

Delby is a feeder for Princeton - a kid can’t get C’s they’d and expect to get in, but B’s and s legacy situation could do the trick

Kids from Howell with B’s aren’t sniffing Old Nassau

Private school kids are just better educated. I feel very comfortable making that statement at this point. Sure there are outliers but test scores alone tell us the story.

Private school kids are just better educated. I feel very comfortable making that statement at this point. Sure there are outliers but test scores alone tell us the story.
I think it’s safe to say the avg test scores are higher. But that’s just because of the smaller class size. The top 15% kids at the top public have the same test score.

Delby is a feeder for Princeton - a kid can’t get C’s they’d and expect to get in, but B’s and s legacy situation could do the trick

Maybe a generation or two ago, but I suspect that a kid that gets Bs at Delby, Lawrenceville etc. needs a hook in addition to being a legacy to get into Princeton these days.

I think it’s safe to say the avg test scores are higher. But that’s just because of the smaller class size. The top 15% kids at the top public have the same test score.
Yea that leaves 85% who in many test woefully bad. Outside of a handful of public schools in wealthy areas in NJ and across the country, public school is an abject failure in every way. Nevermind comparing it to global peers. It’s an embarrassment. Any data trying to show otherwise is laughable.

That’s because they are going there for sports. Maybe Delby is really good at coaching wrestling. Summit is send a few kids to Dartmouth for sports. These kids are not top 10% of the class.

Yea that leaves 85% who in many test woefully bad. Outside of a handful of public schools in wealthy areas in NJ and across the country, public school is an abject failure in every way. Nevermind comparing it too global peers. It’s an embarrassment. Any data trying to show otherwise is laughable.
If you put that 85% in private, they will still test poorly. Private are able to weed out that 85%. The magnet schools are like that but it’s very academic focus w/o arts or sports. You have to go back to your district school if you want to participate.

That’s because they are going there for sports. Maybe Delby is really good at coaching wrestling. Summit is send a few kids to Dartmouth for sports. These kids are not top 10% of the class.
That’s a good point, but if they were going to a regular public and have those grades, but were that good in sports, they would not be going to Princeton

That’s a good point, but if they were going to a regular public and have those grades, but were that good in sports, they would not be going to Princeton
Maybe not Princeton, but I just gave you 3 to Dartmouth.

If you put that 85% in private, they will still test poorly. Private are able to weed out that 85%. The magnet schools are like that but it’s very academic focus w/o arts or sports. You have to go back to your district school if you want to participate.
For sports, that is still the case.

For other extracurricular activities, it’s changing.

It’s irrelevant. Public school is an abject failure.

Delby is a lacrosse feeder. Probably a few other sports for PGs. And I bet those kids at Summit not in the Top 10% probably didn't miss by much and have SATs in the Top 10% overall.

With all due respect at Dartmouth, it’s not Princeton

Granted, I would be doing somersaults if my daughter even got waitlisted at Dartmouth, let alone got in

But Princeton is a notch above

Outside of a few schools at Cornell (ones connected with SUNY) and Penn, the difference between the Ivies is essentially zero.

Maybe a generation or two ago, but I suspect that a kid that gets Bs at Delby, Lawrenceville etc. needs a hook in addition to being a legacy to get into Princeton these days.
I just read that only about 30 students get in a year in Princeton due to legacy. 70% of legacy don’t get admitted. They say if everything equal then they take the legacy.

I noticed that the board talks about the $50k private schools a year but most send their kids to the $12-15k private Catholic schools.

Last edited:
Outside of a few schools at Cornell (ones connected with SUNY) and Penn, the difference between the Ivies is essentially zero.
I’m not going to argue semantics here as Ivies are Ivies and clearly well respected here in the United States and around the world

But having Princeton on your diploma (Yale / Harvard as well) has a little more cachet than the others (sans Wharton).

That’s not debatable.

Reactions: BLewis1968
again, all that really matters is what the trend looks like before CC and after and especially so given so much emphasis is on teaching to the state testing

again, all that really matters is what the trend looks like before CC and after and especially so given so much emphasis is on teaching to the state testing
So then why haven’t you looked it up? It took me a minute to find the data after your first post about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT