ADVERTISEMENT

1/31 Tri (Purdue & Minn) Predictions & Discussion

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
RU will be facing off against Purdue at 12pm and Minn at 2pm on Sunday. Both matches will be on BTN+

I would expect that all 3 teams aren't going to wrestle the same lineups in each of their matchups but I'm assuming they are rolling out their starters for the comparisons.

Purdue Match-ups:
125: #22 Aguilar or Shawver vs. #6 Devin Schroeder - regardless of who wrestles, PU will be a heavy favorite and it will more than likely be a MD+.
133: #6 Alvarez vs. Travis Ford-Melton/Nate Cummings - TRM is tougher but hasn't wrestled yet this year and Cummings is 0-3. Either way Sammy should roll and needs as many, if not more, points than what PU gets at 125
141: #1 Rivera vs. #19 Parker Filus - Rivera is rolling and more bonus points would be huge for RU
149: MVB vs. #9 Griffin Parriott/Alec White/Trey Kruse - Parriott hasn't wrestled yet this year, so let's hope it stays that way and MVB gets a match where he is favored and should win.
157: #25 Kanniard vs. #5 Kendall Coleman - Coleman is good, but hasn't dominated anyone this year and isn't a very high bonus point guy, so this is a match where Kanniard can win if he wrestles his best. Definitely one of the more exciting match-ups of the dual.
165: Donner vs. Gerrit Nijenhuis - Nijenhuis was a top recruit last year (#8 P4P) and a 2x PA state champ, so this will another tough match for Donner. PU will be a heavy favorite.
174: #25 Grello or Turley vs. Emil Soehnlen - Soehnlen is 1-2 this year without facing any ranked competitors, so regardless of who wrestles RU should be the favorite and needs to win here.
184: #12 Poz vs. #11 Max Lyon - match-up of the dual, and hopefully it lives up to the billing. It's a pure toss up and hopefully Poz can stay hot and knock off another ranked opponent.
197: Janzer vs. #21 Thomas Penola - this an another tossup and one where Janzer could win, but PU will be slightly favored. another tipping point match especially if Parriott wrestles at 149.
285: Colucci or McDermott vs. Jamarcus Grant/Dorian Keys - not sure what to expect here at all but Grant doesn't have a history of success (career sub .500 guy) and Keys is a true freshman who is 1-1 vs below avg competition. RU should and needs to win here.

Purdue Predictions:
125: Schroeder by MD (PU 0-4)
133: Alvarez by TF (RU 5-4)
141: Rivera by MD (RU 9-4)
149: MVB by dec (RU 12-4) - if Parriott doesn't wrestle
157: Coleman by dec (RU 12-7)
165: Nijenhuis by MD (RU 12-11)
174: Grello by dec (RU 15-11)
184: Poz by dec (RU 18-11)
197: Penola by dec (RU 18-14)
285: Colucci by dec (RU 21-14)

Minnesota Match-ups:

125: #22 Aguilar or Shawver vs. #9 Patrick McKee - Once again regardless of who wrestles, PU will be a favorite. McKee had a huge win against Foley so he is dangerous but need to keep to a decision.
133: #6 Alvarez vs. #24 Boo Dryden - Dryden is solid and his only loss this season was to DeSanto but this is a match Sammy should rather win easily.
141: #1 Rivera vs. Marcos Polanco - Polanco is not good, Rivera needs a TF or a fall here to give RU a shot
149: MVB vs. #19 Michael Blockhus - Blockus solid, but he is beatable. Definitely a swing match and one that RU would need to have to win the dual
157: #25 Kanniard vs. #7 Brayton Lee - tough matchup for Kanniard as Lee has looked good this year and his only loss was in TB-1 to #6 Kaleb Young (Iowa).
165: Donner vs. #16 Andrew Sparks - Spark is a true freshman with tremendous upside as he only started wrestling only a few yeas ago. Def a name to keep an eye on going forward. His only loss this year was an 8-4 decision to #2 Alex Marinelli (Iowa). Donner will need to keep this to a MD.
174: #25 Grello or Turley vs. #13 Jake Allar - Not sure what to expect with Allar but he has a big 13-1 MD over #14 Drew Hughes (MSU) which sent him up the the rankings. He has had a pedestrian career otherwise. With that being said, Grello hasn't shown anything this year but Turley could provide a spark. Not quite a toss up IMO, but close enough that RU could win without it being a huge surprise.
184: #12 Poznanski vs. #19 Owen Webster - Another ranked toss up for Poz and one of the better matches of the dual.
197: Janzer vs. Garrett Joles - Joles was sub .500 last year and is 1-3 this year but he has faced #3, #5, & #6 so its tough to get a read. Janzer should be favored and needs to win.
285: Colucci or McDermott vs. #1 Gable Steveson - Gable is absolute monster and this one will be over quickly unfortunately for 6 points (or 5 if we are extremely lucky)

Minnesota Predictions:
125: McKee by dec (Minn 0-3)
133: Alvarez by MD (RU 4-3)
141: Rivera by TF (RU 9-3)
149: Blockhus by dec (RU 9-6)
157: Lee by dec (Tie 9-9)
165: Sparks by MD (Minn 9-13)
174: Allar by dec (Minn 9-16)
184: Poz by dec (Minn 12-16)
197: Janzer by dec (Minn 15-16)
285: Steveson by fall (Minn 15-22)

Didn't Parker Filius give Ashnault his toughest match the year he won the NCAA's?

Purdue Predictions:
125: Schroeder by MD (PU 0-4)
133: Alvarez by MD (RU 4-4)
141: Rivera by MD (RU 8-4)
149: MVB by dec (RU 11-4) -
157: Coleman by dec (RU 12-7)
165: Nijenhuis by MD (RU 12-11)
174: Grello by dec (RU 14-11)
184: Poz by dec (RU 17-11)
197: Penola by dec (RU 18-14)
285: Colucci by dec (RU 20-14)

Minnesota Predictions:
125: McKee by MD (Minn 0-4)
133: Alvarez by dec (Minn 3- 4)
141: Rivera by TF (RU 8-4)
149: MVB by dec (RU 11-4)
157: Lee by dec (RU 11-7)
165: Sparks by MD (RU 11-11)
174: Grello by dec (RU 14-11)
184: Poz by dec (RU 17-11)
197: Janzer by dec (RU 20-11)
285: Steveson by fall (RU 21-18)

Colucci has been pretty good at limiting bonus points to elite guys this year. I think he can stay off his back and hold Stevenson to a tf
Didn’t Steveson tech him in like 4 minutes a couple years ago

Colucci has been pretty good at limiting bonus points to elite guys this year. I think he can stay off his back and hold Stevenson to a tf
Is your thinking the same if Minny needs six points to win the match? $$$$

For my money, even though he doesn’t have a national title yet, Steveson is behind only Yianni for the best wrestler in the country. Obviously you have guys like Lee who have accomplished more but Lee has shown vulnerability in the regular season but gets hot come tournament time. I don’t see anyone beat Steveson for the rest of his NCAA career

He’s also a prick.

I wonder what evidence (or lack of) and eyewitness accounts quickly and fairly quietly exonerated him from his sexual assault allegations. He's a POS and not only for what I just mentioned. Him not finishing first in 2019 was the third best thing to happen that day in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: koleszar and gogs7
Paris isn’t in Gable’s universe let alone the Ohio state wrestler. Gable just toyed with Cassiopi in 3rd period last week.
Guys.. I know who Stevenson is... he’s the best hwt and will be ncaa champ this year... yes he TF Colucci TWICE in 2019... and yes he TOYED with him and can take Almost anyone down at will...

ALL I’m saying is I think Colucci got better this year at limiting bonus points.. so I’d wager money that a Stevenson TF (would be his third vs Colucci) is more likely then a FALL... that’s it!

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I remember Stevenson toying with him.
Gable is a different kind of wrestler....can take him down at will.
A win would be a tech Fall at heavyweight.

A TF is basically a given for Steveson... However... He isn't a pinner... A lot of his points come off TD's and let ups... Especially when he breaks his opponent and can pick up 3-4 quick TD's....

I think Grello and Aguilar could be wrestling for their jobs in the starting lineup this weekend.
Goodales press conference made it sound like Grello has the longer leash of the two but simultaneously made it sound like he’s not going to rush Shawver into a starting role

Goodales press conference made it sound like Grello has the longer leash of the two but simultaneously made it sound like he’s not going to rush Shawver into a starting role

Turley is a possible future and a fun wrestler to watch. Long tenures need not play a part if there is an obvious discrepancy in ability and talent.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Minnesota has the most favorable schedule with a four-hour break in between duals. RU has an edge over Purdue since Purdue will have already wrestled. Anyone know how the start times are determined?

Minnesota has the most favorable schedule with a four-hour break in between duals. RU has an edge over Purdue since Purdue will have already wrestled. Anyone know how the start times are determined?

Rutgers has the advantage since they will be able to fully hydrate before their first match. Same schedule for the tri-meet at Northwestern(with Indiana and Penn State). Penn State vs Indiana first, then Northwestern wrestles the 2nd and 3rd match.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Turley is a possible future and a fun wrestler to watch. Long tenures need not play a part if there is an obvious discrepancy in ability and talent.
If there was an obvious discrepancy, Turley would already be the starter. Goodale said Turley was bad in his first exhibition match vs Michigan.

If there was an obvious discrepancy, Turley would already be the starter. Goodale said Turley was bad in his first exhibition match vs Michigan.

My sense was that off the OSU match, who goes may depend on the score of the match up to that point. There seemed to be an acknowledgement that Turley was the higher risk reward alternative and if the team needs something more than a decision he might get the nod.

My sense was that off the OSU match, who goes may depend on the score of the match up to that point. There seemed to be an acknowledgement that Turley was the higher risk reward alternative and if the team needs something more than a decision he might get the nod.
Yeah I agree. I’m not sure how easy it is to make that determination at 174 though considering Poz at 184 is still somewhat of an unknown and Janzer at 197 is going to be a tight match most of the time. HWT also probably a risk reward type class. I feel like Boone has potential for higher scoring matches, perhaps pins as well whereas Collucci is more likely to keep it close.

Yeah I agree. I’m not sure how easy it is to make that determination at 174 though considering Poz at 184 is still somewhat of an unknown and Janzer at 197 is going to be a tight match most of the time. HWT also probably a risk reward type class. I feel like Boone has potential for higher scoring matches, perhaps pins as well whereas Collucci is more likely to keep it close.
Colucci provides zero offense, and looks sluggish when he wrestles. When he wrestles Gable it'll be like "okay Mr Steveson you can turn me when you feel like it". I think a lot of you give Colucci more credit than he deserves. I think he's borderline mediocre. I don't care if you criticize me up and down the forum, but I stand by my convictions. We haven't had an aggressive heavyweight since Billy Smith, or a DJ Russo. I think we should give Boone the nod. He beat that overweight, GI Joe wannabe Gary the gas tank, where Colucci would have just tucked his tail and let him take them down, once again, counting the dust particles on the mat with his face.

Colucci provides zero offense, and looks sluggish when he wrestles. When he wrestles Gable it'll be like "okay Mr Steveson you can turn me when you feel like it". I think a lot of you give Colucci more credit than he deserves. I think he's borderline mediocre. I don't care if you criticize me up and down the forum, but I stand by my convictions. We haven't had an aggressive heavyweight since Billy Smith, or a DJ Russo. I think we should give Boone the nod. He beat that overweight, GI Joe wannabe Gary the gas tank, where Colucci would have just tucked his tail and let him take them down, once again, counting the dust particles on the mat with his face.

People havent given him more credit as you say. Most have been pretty objective and spot on with their observations.

Heavyweight for too many years now has just been a throw away weight class, same goes for 165.

Colucci was always seen as just a placeholder, Boone looks promising but not ready for primetime, Hamilton who knows if he'll wrestle all 4 yrs. and doing both football/wrestling in the B1G isn't going to cut it. EIWA sure, B1G no way, just to get to 6th in the conference you have to be Top 10 Nationally. That's brutal and takes your entire focus year round.

165 that weight class we've been throwing that one away for 5 yrs. now. Donner bless his heart the kid has tried as hard as he can and has squeezed out everything he can give. Alas the talent was never there. Recruiting this weight has been a true enigma. The coaching staff's incompetence to fill this weight with a solid kid has been truly amazing. With what they have to sell it shouldn't be this hard. I'm simply at a loss for words that this continues to be a waste land.

Heavyweight for too many years now has just been a throw away weight class, same goes for 165.

Colucci was always seen as just a placeholder, Boone looks promising but not ready for primetime, Hamilton who knows if he'll wrestle all 4 yrs. and doing both football/wrestling in the B1G isn't going to cut it. EIWA sure, B1G no way, just to get to 6th in the conference you have to be Top 10 Nationally. That's brutal and takes your entire focus year round.

165 that weight class we've been throwing that one away for 5 yrs. now. Donner bless his heart the kid has tried as hard as he can and has squeezed out everything he can give. Alas the talent was never there. Recruiting this weight has been a true enigma. The coaching staff's incompetence to fill this weight with a solid kid has been truly amazing. With what they have to sell it shouldn't be this hard. I'm simply at a loss for words that this continues to be a waste land.

It seems like the 160’s we recruit drop to 157 and the 170’s bump up to 174. Kanniard and O’Neil for example.

RU Crackrrs for a college sophomore you have great knowledge of Rutgers wrestling. How old were you when DJ Russo wrestled for us?
You don’t believe this fool do you ..this guy is doing exactly what RUCreedo did ..call kids out ..making it personal with his rhetoric ..next thing you know he will be asking a kids parent to meet him in parking lot like he did last year ..even tho he wasn’t even in same state ...no idea why admins even allow him here ..he brings nothing to this forum ...

On the extra matches, some observations - Aragona is 149 which was expected. O'Neill is going 165. It would be great if he could be the answer at 165 which, as many have pointed out, has been an enigma for RU the past few years.

Also, both Grello and Turley have extra matches listed at 174. I wonder if they will split matches in the actual Tri-Meet?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT