ADVERTISEMENT

10 Regular Season Games to go. Have we turned corner? What’s the final record pre tournament ?

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Has JWill solidified our backcourt? YES
Has the rotation finally been solidified? YES
Has Simpson found consistency? HOPE SO

Can we win out ? NO
Can we split? YES
Can we go 6-4? MAYBE
Will we go 4-6? PROBABLY

I say we finish 15-16 and win 1 in Tournament,
16-16

Solid NIT team IF we continue to play like this.

Last edited:

Can we win out ? NO
Can we split? YES
Can we go 6-4? MAYBE
Will we go 4-6? PROBABLY

I say we end up 15-16 and win 1 or 2 in tourney.

Solid NIT team if we continue to play like this.
Let’s not get excited we beat the worst team in the big did we look a little better with J W yeah but it was only one half

Can we win out ? NO
Can we split? YES
Can we go 6-4? MAYBE
Will we go 4-6? PROBABLY

16-16

That makes us 16-17 overall and not NIT bound

But 7-13/15-16 is doable …as is 8-12/16-15

Reactions: SBP
I posed a question. . . .
And you answered it (them, really).

On whether we've turned a corner, the dentist is right on this one. Who knows? One game. Before the season, Fernandes was an experienced player with speed and shot. After St. John's, JMike was a revelation. Once Mag got back, things would turn around. When someone noticed that Austin Williams was an experienced guard, he needed more time and would settle us down. When Simpson had one of his good games (like yesterday), we were on our way. Now Jeremiah shows up, scores ten points with two assists, and we have our latest player who will solidify things. And so on.

The presumption to your question is that it's sensible to form an opinion off the one game, or two, etc. It isn't. Sometimes the question is flawed, not the answer or lack of one.

Last edited:
17 wins will get to NIT consideration.....18 is on the bubble.....19 and RU is in the NCAA tournament.

Gotta win at Maryland on Tuesday, to have any chance at NIT or NCAA discussions. Get the Maryland road game and the window opens.

Can we win out ? NO
Can we split? YES
Can we go 6-4? MAYBE
Will we go 4-6? PROBABLY

16-16

Has JWill solidified our backcourt?
Has the rotation finally been solidified?
Has Simpson found consistency?

On these three questions, I think you’re right on JWill solidifying the backcourt. Can’t argue with that.

But I think it’s too early to answer the other two questions.

The rotation yesterday was certainly promising, but (1) it may have been a function of who we were playing, namely, a team with a bunch of bigs and only three guards; and (2) our players are so inconsistent from game to game that you can’t just pencil in the same rotation going forward. If Simpson is shooting 2-12, I don’t know if you keep him in or put someone else in. Etc.

On the third question, I don’t think you can say that Simpson has “found consistency” when he only has a good game once every 3 or 4 games, and a great game once every 8 to 10 games. He looked great yesterday, but that’s on the heels of several putrid games.

Overall, it’s great to win on the road, but Michigan is truly bad this year, so I’m not sure if we can decipher any real trends from this one game. But I am hopeful that the presence of JWill will unlock a better version of this team.

Reactions: Scangg
We got lucky vs the worst team in conf, who are notorious for second half collapses. The comeback was impressive but one thing is for sure, if we’re going to start winning we HAVE to stop digging BIG first half holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
I feel better about things viewing them in 5 game segments. JWill has played 1 game so I am out of luck.

I follow NJhawk lead here....win at MD and rope me in to post season talk.

The rotation is far from figured out.

You guys have to believe me here....I root very hard for Gavin, I want him to succeed as much as anyone (within reason). The Gavin that has turned the corner is 6-18 from 2 and 2-7 from 3 in last 3 games. He has 2 DREB in those 56 minutes and is still a mess on D.

Is there a dual mandate where we are trying to win while giving Gavin experience OR are we doing everything to get Ws. That will dictate whether we get more A Will and Hyatt or Gavin.

Gavin's left pinky has more offensive ability then Hyatt and AWill combined...I get it. Can we afford to hope it shows itself and it is able to make up for his bad D and his inability to defensive rebound?

Reactions: Knight Owl

Can we win out ? NO
Can we split? YES
Can we go 6-4? MAYBE
Will we go 4-6? PROBABLY

16-16

There is also a loss in the big ten tournament.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
And you answered it (them, really).

On whether we've turned a corner, the dentist is right on this one. Who knows? One game. Before the season, Fernandes was an experienced player with speed and shot. After St. John's, JMike was a revelation. Once Mag got back, things would turn around. When someone noticed that Austin Williams was an experienced guard, he needed more time and would settle us down. When Simpson had one of his good games (like yesterday), we were on our way. Now Jeremiah shows up, scores ten points with two assists, and we have our latest player who will solidify things. And so on.

The presumption to your question is that it's sensible to form an opinion off the one game, or two, etc. It isn't. Sometimes the question is flawed, not the answer or lack of one.
And the issue with Derek and I actually really like him but next game he can go 3-14 he’s just very inconsistent and he really led the comeback yesterday so who knows boy I wish his shot was like yesterday all the time!!

And the issue with Derek and I actually really like him but next game he can go 3-14 he’s just very inconsistent and he really led the comeback yesterday so who knows boy I wish his shot was like yesterday all the time!!
the crazy thing is i was saying to myself in the 1st half with his balance and feet all over the place the staff needs to put a red light on all 3 attempts.

I feel better about things viewing them in 5 game segments. JWill has played 1 game so I am out of luck.

I follow NJhawk lead here....win at MD and rope me in to post season talk.

The rotation is far from figured out.

You guys have to believe me here....I root very hard for Gavin, I want him to succeed as much as anyone (within reason). The Gavin that has turned the corner is 6-18 from 2 and 2-7 from 3 in last 3 games. He has 2 DREB in those 56 minutes and is still a mess on D.

Is there a dual mandate where we are trying to win while giving Gavin experience OR are we doing everything to get Ws. That will dictate whether we get more A Will and Hyatt or Gavin.

Gavin's left pinky has more offensive ability then Hyatt and AWill combined...I get it. Can we afford to hope it shows itself and it is able to make up for his bad D and his inability to defensive rebound?
I agree here. I want the best for him but it’s crazy to see his game to this point.
That said just watching him on the court despite the lack of shooting efficiency is that he is starting to get more comfortable. Issue is that at times it looks like he has never played basketball before yet you see the ability COULD be there. He gets hesitant everytime he touches the ball and in most cases behind the arch just in the lose of shoot as fast as possible.
If he turns the corner at any point and can give us 8pts per game I think this teams also turns the corner

Reactions: Jerseylegends
We got lucky vs the worst team in conf, who are notorious for second half collapses. The comeback was impressive but one thing is for sure, if we’re going to start winning we HAVE to stop digging BIG first half holes.

I agree Michigan stinks but we didn’t get “lucky”. We dominated them in the second half even if that’s their MO. It’s not like we made a half court shot to beat them.

I agree Michigan stinks but we didn’t get “lucky”. We dominated them in the second half even if that’s their MO. It’s not like we made a half court shot to beat them.
I should have worded better and tied the whole post together. I meant that we got lucky who we dug the hole against. I’m not sure we would have pulled that second half off vs IL or Pur

Reactions: bitnez
There is also a loss in the big ten tournament.
Correct! Unless we win the tourney outright there will be an eventual loss added to our record. It just a matter of how deep we can go and how many wins we can get. IMHO we would need at least 2 wins

Correct! Unless we win the tourney outright there will be an eventual loss added to our record. It just a matter of how deep we can go and how many wins we can get. IMHO we would need at least 2 wins
7-3 2-1 so 9 more wins, 4 more losses

Michigan has lost 10 of its last 11
I really think that it was how we played and jelled in second half more so than the opponent, Bac. They would have beat Penn State with this lineup and offensive display. Mag and Simpson in particular.. that said I get your point. Maryland is a pivot point.

I really think that it was how we played and jelled in second half more so than the opponent, Bac. They would have beat Penn State with this lineup and offensive display. Mag and Simpson in particular.. that said I get your point. Maryland is a pivot point.
Yes but Mag and Simpson were terrible in that game.

We should try to win it this year ! It is time to get past the quarterfinals at least

Reactions: rutgers1998
Needed a 15 point comeback to beat the worst team in the big ten. Nah we still stink.
If you follow big ten basketball then you would know that any road win is a good win doesn’t matter who it’s against. It’s also a Q2 win and those are not easy to get

Reactions: SBP
Rutgers(3-7) LLL,W,LW,LLL,W
Home 2-3 Road 1-4

@ MD(5-6) L,W,LL,WW,LL,WW,L
*Home 3-2* R 2-4
Vs NW(6-5) W,L,WW,L,W,L,WW,LL
H 5-0 *Road 1-5*
Vs Wisc(8-2) WWWWW,L,WWW,L
H 5-0 *Road 3-2*
@ Minn(5-5) L,WWW,LLLL,WW
*Home 3-2* R 2-3
@ Purdue(9-2) L,WWW,L,WWWWW
*Home 5-0* R 4-2
Vs MD(5-6)
H 3-2 *Road 2-4*
Vs Mich(2-9) L,W,LLL,W,LLLLL
H 1-5 *Road 1-4*
@ NEB(6-5) L,WW,L,W,LL,WW,L,W
*Home 5-1* R 0-5
@ Wisc(8-2)
*Home 5-0* R 3-2
Vs Ohio St(3-8) W,L,W,LLL,W,LLLL
H 3-2 *Road 0-6*

5 Road games vs (3-2), (3-2), (5-0), (5-1), (5-0)
5 Home games vs (1-5), (3-2), (2-4), (1-4), (0-6)

2 not so great home courts, MD(PUR, MSU) and Minn(IA, Wisc)
We play the way we showed yesterday, we could win all 5 home games.
Wisconsin the hardest of the 5 at home then NW.
Ceiling would top out at 7 wins if we get rolling.

I was thinking it must be difficult practicing with a player for 20 games, seeing what he can provide, and not be able to play with said player during the games, it does make you wonder how much it affected their play and chemistry throughout this season.

This is a 12-13 win team. Enjoy the wins and don't be surprised when we lose by 20 next time out.

• Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
Well, considering RU already has 11 wins, you have very low expectations, even for this offensively challenged group

17 wins will get to NIT consideration.....18 is on the bubble.....19 and RU is in the NCAA tournament.

Gotta win at Maryland on Tuesday, to have any chance at NIT or NCAA discussions. Get the Maryland road game and the window opens.
I am pretty optimistic with Rutgers MBb but there is no way we are getting to 18-19 regular season . 16 - 17 would be a miracle after where we were. I’ll say it again if the NCAA did not hold JW hostage until February we are a 15 win team today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT