ADVERTISEMENT

17-18 Post Season Conf Tourney Attendance: Big East #1

phriar10

Redshirt
Feb 9, 2017
For all those who said that the Big East would not sell will not want to see this...

The Creighton SID tweeted this out today

Highest Men's Basketball Conference Tournament Average Session Attendance, 2017-18 Season

18,790 BIG EAST
17,850 Big 12
15,167 Big Ten
14,819 Southeastern
13,425 Pac-12
11,770 Atlantic Coast
8,377 American Athletic
7,499 West Coast
7,113 Mountain West
7,102 Atlantic 10

Second tweet
BIG EAST Conference Men's Basketball Tournament average attendance per session rankings, since reconfiguration:

2014 - 5th
2015 - 5th
2016 - 4th
2017 - 2nd
2018 - 1st

I believe that's what the kids call trending up!

Big East where Basketball is #1Priority.

Think I would call that a good ass kicking to the ACC and Big Ten who thought they were going to come in to NY and do the opposite.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Not sure of the exact pricing, but pretty sure that the all sessions cost (at least if you bought through your school) was significantly less for the Big East than Big Ten. I didn't even consider buying the package. I ended up buying tix on secondary market at last minute for RU games.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
If the Big East had their tournament in Chicago with both DePaul fans buying full tournament packages and the Big Ten had our tournament in New York,Newark,or Philadelphia,the Big Ten would do very well and the United Center would be a ghost town.

The fault of taking "average session attendance" is that it is a disadvantage to the bigger conferences. i.e. the Big Ten with 14 teams has it's first session of games between 11-14 and 12-13 and is on its own day. Those are traditionally low in attendance. Same idea for the ACC. Your little chart of where the Big East has fared, makes sense since it used to have 16 teams, and hence it had a lower average session attendance since it had those first day games too.

Moral of the story is, you can make a statistic to support pretty much any argument you want. The only thing that matters to me, is ask any RU fan which conference they'd rather be in, the current Big East or current Big Ten, and I think for that, there is no argument.

For all those who said that the Big East would not sell will not want to see this...

The Creighton SID tweeted this out today

Highest Men's Basketball Conference Tournament Average Session Attendance, 2017-18 Season

18,790 BIG EAST
17,850 Big 12
15,167 Big Ten
14,819 Southeastern
13,425 Pac-12
11,770 Atlantic Coast
8,377 American Athletic
7,499 West Coast
7,113 Mountain West
7,102 Atlantic 10

Second tweet
BIG EAST Conference Men's Basketball Tournament average attendance per session rankings, since reconfiguration:

2014 - 5th
2015 - 5th
2016 - 4th
2017 - 2nd
2018 - 1st

I believe that's what the kids call trending up!

Big East where Basketball is #1Priority.

Think I would call that a good ass kicking to the ACC and Big Ten who thought they were going to come in to NY and do the opposite.
You want stats? Here's a stat for you, the BIG conference led the nation in men's basketball attendance for the 41st consecutive season with 12,235 per game and 3,119,823 fans for the 2017 season. The Big East came in 5th and totaled 1,702,400 fans for the year. Looks like someone has a lot of catching up to do. But keep trying Thomas the little Engine. I think I can, chugga, chugga, I think I can.

Last edited:
You want stats? Here's a stat for you, the BIG conference led the nation in men's basketball attendance for the 41st consecutive season with 12,235 per game and 3,119,823 fans for the 2017 season. The Big East came in 5th and totaled 1,702,400 fans for the year. Looks like someone has a lot of catching up to do. But keep trying Thomas the little Engine. I think I can, chugga, chugga, I think I can.

Lol You think that might have anything to do with the Big having 14 teams to the Big East's 10 .

The fault of taking "average session attendance" is that it is a disadvantage to the bigger conferences. i.e. the Big Ten with 14 teams has it's first session of games between 11-14 and 12-13 and is on its own day. Those are traditionally low in attendance. Same idea for the ACC. Your little chart of where the Big East has fared, makes sense since it used to have 16 teams, and hence it had a lower average session attendance since it had those first day games too.

Moral of the story is, you can make a statistic to support pretty much any argument you want. The only thing that matters to me, is ask any RU fan which conference they'd rather be in, the current Big East or current Big Ten, and I think for that, there is no argument.

Hey, Believe me I hear you I am happy in my conference and I am sure you are happy in yours. Just after the realignment a lot of people were talking crap about the Big East being a joke and never was going to make it. I think this stat definitely puts that argument to bed and the Big East is right there with the Big and the Acc as a power conference.

Lol You think that might have anything to do with the Big having 14 teams to the Big East's 10 .
Nope. You guys were 5th in average attendance per game as well. Want to try for another stat? Total attendance for Conference tournaments perhaps? Oops sorry, 5th again. But keep trying.

How about what conference the National Champions come from?
Well the premise was comparing stats so your question is really irrelevant. A signal event isn't a statistic. But here's a stat for you relevant to your post. Current B1G conference members have won 11 National Championships. Current Big East members, oops sorry again, have won 5 National titles. Oh well but keep trying.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Well the premise was comparing stats so your question is really irrelevant. A signal event isn't a statistic. But here's a stat for you relevant to your post. Current B1G conference members have won 11 National Championships. Current Big East members, oops sorry again, have won 5 National titles. Oh well but keep trying.
Not nice comparing the BIG that has been around a lot longer (founded 1895) to the BE (founded 1979). BE first NCAA tourney was in 1980. Since then EACH conference's current members have won FOUR NCAA titles. Likewise, since 1979 the BE (any member school past or present at the time of NCAAs) has won 10 titles to the BIG's 4. I didn't count Louisville's 2 titles pre BE but after 1979, nor did I count Maryland's 2002 title as an ACC member. Sorry but facts are facts.

And how much do you he teams get annually from the big east? Oh that's right..bread crumbs

Not nice comparing the BIG that has been around a lot longer (founded 1895) to the BE (founded 1979). BE first NCAA tourney was in 1980. Since then EACH conference's current members have won FOUR NCAA titles. Likewise, since 1979 the BE (any member school past or present at the time of NCAAs) has won 10 titles to the BIG's 4. I didn't count Louisville's 2 titles pre BE but after 1979, nor did I count Maryland's 2002 title as an ACC member. Sorry but facts are facts.
Now you're getting how the stat game works. But you're really going to count stats for teams not even in your conference any longer? And haven't been for what like 5 yrs. now? Now that's just playing dirty. Here's an interesting question, do you guys use the old record books or have you created new ones?

FGCU just added Michigan State to their schedule. Would love to see Rutgers add Dunk City to their schedule. Fun brand of basketball, and if FGCU insisted on some kind of arrangement that had Rutgers visit FGCU’s on-campus Alico Arena, Rutgers alum and fans in southwest Florida would feel right at home. Alico Arena is a lite version of the RAC.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sp...chigan-st-schedule-includes-gators/955201002/

Facts are facts, lol. Do you still claim football championships for Miami, too, even though Miami left in 2004 and the Big East doesn't even play football anymore?

The current Big East started in 2013, not 1979.

when you talk college sports ,you talk BIG and power 5 , not the Big East--great for basketball but minor to the power 5 in all sports--heck,in any event, one BIG football game attendance equals how many Big east basketball games--As I said --sorry but they're not in our league, financially,academically and certainly in prestige.

U
when you talk college sports ,you talk BIG and power 5 , not the Big East--great for basketball but minor to the power 5 in all sports--heck,in any event, one BIG football game attendance equals how many Big east basketball games--As I said --sorry but they're not in our league, financially,academically and certainly in prestige.

Yeah you keep living in your dream world and the Big East will keep claiming national championships and sending 70 % of their conference to the tournament. Let me guess that you were one of the jokers that predicted the catholic's would just fade away.

Nope it was more about the ingnorant idiot's that said the Big East would flop without the football schools.

you might be trying to have some argument with your own strawman, but your post I replied to was referring to attendance numbers for the Big Ten and Big East and wondering if the number of teams in each conference was the reason for the disparity. It is not the reason.

Yeah you keep living in your dream world and the Big East will keep claiming national championships and sending 70 % of their conference to the tournament. Let me guess that you were one of the jokers that predicted the catholic's would just fade away.

Teams win national championships, not conferences.

Reactions: koleszar
yes ,the big east will win a football national championship--when last I noticed, college sports is far from being all about basketball--might I say you are egocentric--who gives a "crap" about your small change anyway

In more "fun with statistics:.... conference tournament tickets sold (total attendance):
B1G: 106,157
SEC: 103,733
BE: 93,949
B12: 89,249
ACC: 82,390
P12: 80,550
AAC: 50,259
A10: 49,714
MWC: 35,565

(couldn't find numbers on WCC)

yes ,the big east will win a football national championship--when last I noticed, college sports is far from being all about basketball--might I say you are egocentric--who gives a "crap" about your small change anywaY
Probably before a certain BIG school that shall remain nameless. :chairshot:

In more "fun with statistics:.... conference tournament tickets sold (total attendance):
B1G: 106,157
SEC: 103,733
BE: 93,949
B12: 89,249
ACC: 82,390
P12: 80,550
AAC: 50,259
A10: 49,714
MWC: 35,565

(couldn't find numbers on WCC)

The real statistic that that has kept the BE afloat till now is the TV contract with FS1. It was lucky timing that the new network needed programming at just the right moment.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/03/21/Media/Big-East-MWC.aspx

LOL the average ACC fan doesn't want to come to NY. There aren't enough, or possibly any, Waffle Houses.

Might even be able to say the same for the average B1G fan (minus the Waffle House)

I always thought a Waffle House would kill down by the East Village, catching all those drunks at 4am. (Or in Port Authority to catch the drunks waiting for that first bus home in the AM...)

I always thought a Waffle House would kill down by the East Village, catching all those drunks at 4am. (Or in Port Authority to catch the drunks waiting for that first bus home in the AM...)
I love Waffle House, haven't been in one in three years though.

I hate to tell all you basketball Big East guys who think that this single stat means that the Big East will remain a power post-football, but just wait until Villanova has a bad season/Jay Wright leaves... the BE going to fall right in line with the Big West/Ohio Valley, a single good team, maybe 2, and a challenger every few years but beyond that, that's it.

I hate to tell all you basketball Big East guys who think that this single stat means that the Big East will remain a power post-football, but just wait until Villanova has a bad season/Jay Wright leaves... the BE going to fall right in line with the Big West/Ohio Valley, a single good team, maybe 2, and a challenger every few years but beyond that, that's it.

Schools like Villanova have plenty of big donors who will insist the school spends the money on the right coach to continue their success.

We can sit here all day and compare who has a bigger ... fanbase.

But the only stat that really matters here is that the Big East had very good attendance at their conference tournament in March. For the Big Ten (and to a lesser extent, the ACC), there may have been a desire for MSG to walk away from their contract to host the Big East Tournament. Based on attendance figures from this year's tournament, that won't happen. And the Big Ten did not like the experiment of running their conference tournament a week earlier.

So the end result, based on this year's tournaments, is the the BET will continue to be played at MSG, and the BTT is not going to return to MSG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT