ADVERTISEMENT

5-1 START

I always laughed at RutgersAl but we have a good chance to go 7-1. Forget OSU, hardest game after will be Maryland away. Northwestern will not be as good as last year, at home, and riding a good, confident winning streak, it is very possible. That would be 8-1 but might just be pushing it into the RutgersAl realm. Then reality sets in. Until then, a lot of buzz and a great season.

Until I see otherwise, I need to see us beat TX and UB, and neither ILL or IND are gimmes for us. We need to respect each opponent because IMHO we still have a us ways to go before we’re a respectable program ourselves.

Reactions: zappaa
wtf is wrong with some of you.
Why do you let yourselves get tricked into talking about PSU?:chairshot:
Why not talk about who you think Rutgers can beat starting the 7th game and talk about PSU on their board :flush:
I was trying to temper the irrational exuberance of our Penn State "friend." It would be fabulous to see Pitt pound the crap out of them and watch them lose 4-6 games this season.

I was trying to temper the irrational exuberance of our Penn State "friend." It would be fabulous to see Pitt pound the crap out of them and watch them lose 4-6 games this season.

It's irrational to think a team coming off of consecutive 11-win seasons that is now more talented 1-85 can win 9-12 games? Hmm.

I think

Now back to 5-1, if anyone wants to reply talking about Rutgers and how season will be starting 7th game.

Last edited:
I think

Now back to 5-1, if anyone wants to reply talking about Rutgers and how season will be starting 7th game.
But if Penn St is more interesting, go for it ,it seems ZM has you thinking PSU more than RU.
I said my part about the 5-1 early in the thread, but then the usual whining and crying kicked in, and my patience and willingness to deal with such has grown short. We will get a good idea in the first 4-5 games in what we have and whether we should completely write off the last 4 games, which I would never do.

Until I see otherwise, I need to see us beat TX and UB, and neither ILL or IND are gimmes for us. We need to respect each opponent because IMHO we still have a us ways to go before we’re a respectable program ourselves.
Never said gimmes but I have maybe more confidence in Ash in his 3rd year than others. Not expecting to beat the Michigan OSU teams but I think with this schedule early we will gain some confidence and respect.

I said my part about the 5-1 early in the thread, but then the usual whining and crying kicked in, and my patience and willingness to deal with such has grown short. We will get a good idea in the first 4-5 games in what we have and whether we should completely write off the last 4 games, which I would never do.
Edited my post you replied to and you've been on this board long enough to expect whining and crying over just about everything Rutgers posted on this board under the old leadership and the new.
Remember there was a whine when Rutgers played Princeton on 11/06/1869. During the game a Rutgers professor could stand it no longer. Waving his umbrella at the participants, he shrieked, "you will come to no Christian end!"
So whining about Rutgers is a tradition, dating back to the first game RU played

Reactions: Knight Shift
Never said gimmes but I have maybe more confidence in Ash in his 3rd year than others. Not expecting to beat the Michigan OSU teams but I think with this schedule early we will gain some confidence and respect.
All you need to know is that every team's fan base on our schedule is putting a W on their sheet for our game, except maybe for Texas St., and I will bet you most of those fans have it as a toss-up. Let's hope we go 5-1 out of the gate, but if we don't I am not prepared to throw in the towel on Ash like some on this board. I want to see us play competitive games against the big 4 in our division, that to me is a better judge of where we stand and are going IMHO.

I mean, anything is possible.

Although Pitt will again treat the game as its Super Bowl, the talent gap between the teams has only widened further. As for Iowa, playing at Kinnick is a nightmare, but that game returns to State College, where PSU beat Iowa 41-14 in 2016. Don't think Iowa has the talent to match up for four quarters without its home environment leveling the playing field.

That leaves, of course, the three big division games and Wisconsin. On paper as of July 11, I'd say PSU is a slight underdog at Michigan and against OSU, and small favorite against MSU and Wisconsin. Fortunately, three of those games are at home, where Trace McSorely has never lost.

I think PSU is good enough to win each of those games - a September WhiteOut with a new QB isn't ideal for OSU, and I'm not as high on MSU as a lot of people - but could certainly split them. That's how I arrive at 10-2 as a reasonable expectation, with room for more.

Penn State is not the Super Bowl for Pitt. LOL!!!!

Pitt's 2018 OOC schedule includes 3 teams who finished the 2017 football season ranked in the Top 11 unlike Penn State who's OOC includes no ranked teams.

The talent gap is actually not that much different and I think you will see that this September.

Actually, our friends on the Rutgers Board have an OP entitled "Big Ten Players in the NFL (by school)". Using the information they provided, they list Penn State as having 42 players in the NFL whereas Pitt has 32 players in the NFL.

Due to injury Pitt played most of last season with a back up (walk on) QB.
Pitt's D was also young and inexperienced but continued to improve as the season progressed and by the end of the season was able to hold 4 of their last 5 opponents to 20 points or less (including Miami to 14 points-last game). Narduzzi has finally established his D and Pitt returns 9 starters.

Pitt's O will also be much improved led by true Soph NJ QB Kenny Pickett who I predict will be something special. As a true frosh he came in late in the 2nd quarter with Pitt losing to VT(next to last game) and nearly won. The following week he beat (then #2 ranked) Miami.

I know Penn State fans are expecting a 5-7 Pitt team to show up at Heinz but according to Phil Steele (Football Mag 2018), his 9 sets of power ratings indicate it is also possible Pitt could be 10-2 this year.

Actually, I believe Pitt will beat Penn State this year at Heinz.

Enjoy the game, I know I will.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
5-1 start? After this credit card fraud debacle, I guarantee (I know guys here hate that word) we won’t start 5-1. And I guarantee (there it is again) that we lose to either TX St or UB.

Reactions: HootieHoot
5-1 start? After this credit card fraud debacle, I guarantee (I know guys here hate that word) we won’t start 5-1. And I guarantee (there it is again) that we lose to either TX St or UB.

I believe Buffalo is the team Rutgers should be most concerned with since they will be able to put points on the board with a good returning Offense (experienced QB, WR,s TE and O line).

Rutger D should be good but recently losing two D players and questions about 8 others remains to be seen.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Penn State is not the Super Bowl for Pitt.

The talent gap is actually not that much different and I think you will see that this September.

Actually, I believe Pitt will beat Penn State this year at Heinz.

tenor.gif

Reactions: bdur76 and ZMR512
Agree, although I think losing to Kansas is more likely than Texas State.

Reactions: HootieHoot
Two words for you Panthergrowl - Joe knew. It’s the only thing that will shut up this completely morally bankrupt fanbase. They can’t argue with it and when they do they just show their arrogant disregard for anything other than winning football games. They’re a black eye on college football everywhere. Rutgers fans think it. Pitt fans think it. The rest of the Big Ten thinks it, and every team’s fanbase thinks it. The only people who don’t get it are them, and the spineless commentators out there that remember the PSU glory days, which weren’t actually so glorious.

PENN STATE CHILD SEX ABUSE SCANDAL.

Sad school legacy.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Two words for you Panthergrowl - Joe knew. It’s the only thing that will shut up this completely morally bankrupt fanbase. They can’t argue with it and when they do they just show their arrogant disregard for anything other than winning football games. They’re a black eye on college football everywhere. Rutgers fans think it. Pitt fans think it. The rest of the Big Ten thinks it, and every team’s fanbase thinks it. The only people who don’t get it are them, and the spineless commentators out there that remember the PSU glory days, which weren’t actually so glorious.

both of you...quit your crying
F41z.gif

Happy Friday, ladies:)

Reactions: bdur76
Penn State is not the Super Bowl for Pitt. LOL!!!!
Funny the Pitt coaching staff seems to disagree. How many wins did the Pitt coaching staff have key chains made for and showing it off twitter? I guess when you can't win anything real you have to celebrate something.
C4KyoCPW8AALLT7.jpg

Reactions: bdur76
Funny the Pitt coaching staff seems to disagree. How many wins did the Pitt coaching staff have key chains made for and showing it off twitter? I guess when you can't win anything real you have to celebrate something.
C4KyoCPW8AALLT7.jpg
You might have a point if Pitt was playing in the watered down Big East or in the AAC.

However, what you wacko’s cannot understand Pitt plays in the ACC. A P5 conference that has had waaaay more success recently than the Big 10. Other than the SEC the ACC has put out more pro’s than any other conference.

You Ped st fans really believe what you post. I don’t know if it’s sad or comical. Probably both!

That’s why I am both a Pitt fan and Rutgers fan. We know how full of shit your fan base is and the lies that built your program.

both of you...quit your crying
F41z.gif

Happy Friday, ladies:)

Pedd State. Jerry Sandusky. Showers. That’s all anyone is thinking when you wear your PSU hat to work or that big white football bus rolls into town. Your fanbase had the opportunity to react to the scandal with grace and remorse. You didn’t. You are what you are.

Pedd State. Jerry Sandusky. Showers. That’s all anyone is thinking when you wear your PSU hat to work or that big white football bus rolls into town. Your fanbase had the opportunity to react to the scandal with grace and remorse. You didn’t. You are what you are.

Wow you’re cutting me deep...lol

The MSU game might be the deciding factor if Rutgers doesn't beat Maryland in the 7th game at their house after going 5-1 in the first six games.
A loss there leaves RU needing to beat Northwestern in the 8th game at Rutgers Stadium or failing to win both games upsetting one of the programs left on the schedule with Michigan St (playing at
home) being the last shot at 6 wins and a bowl invite.
5-7 probably won't make a bowl, considering the criteria concerning 5-7 programs bowl eligibility using teams APR and Rutgers position on the APR list.

But looking at the season positively, 5-1 with wins against programs RU might have a chance to beat and upsetinga program considered to be able to beat Rutgers easily.

The only chance we have at winning 6 is if we become some other team's trap game. We will need to win at least one game we are not suppose to win.

The only chance we have at winning 6 is if we become some other team's trap game. We will need to win at least one game we are not suppose to win.
Even though it's at their house, you can't
see RU beating Maryland without it being considered a trap game.
But sandwiched in between vists to Michigan and Iowa, it might be one for the Turtles
Rutgers might be considered a trap game for Northwestern considering the RU game is between their Nebraska and Wisconsin games

The latest RU scandal will make it tougher to start 5-1 and therefore tougher to become bowl eligible. When will it end!

Why do we have a Pitt-Penn St. argument on the RU board? Even bigger question is why Pitt or PSU fans would even be reading this board?
Please wait, (albeit may be a long one) until we become football relevant to come over here.
Go fight in your own yard.

Thank you

Reactions: koleszar
Why do we have a Pitt-Penn St. argument on the RU board? Even bigger question is why Pitt or PSU fans would even be reading this board?
Please wait, (albeit may be a long one) until we become football relevant to come over here.
Go fight in your own yard.

Thank you

that's an easy one.....PSU & Pitt home boards are run by a bunch of sensitive nancys that ban every opposing fan that visits. I mean, there's the Main Board but that's dominated by politics.

besides, who doesn't like a some (un)friendly banter amongst opposing fans?....especially fans that hate PSU more than they like themselves:)

anyway, was just having a little fun is all....carry on

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
no hockey, no basketball, world cup is over, so all we got is boring a*s baseball. i'm bored, man! plus, i love you guys:)
Then show some respect when posting in a thread about Rutgers and try to keep your messages Rutgers related.
You can love us all you want, but with that love show some respect.
Now talk about Rutgers and ( excluding Penn St ) how you think they'll do after the 6th game , starting with Maryland and how many of the last 6 games you think RU has a shot of winning.
Don't take your boredom out on Rutgers fans by arguing with a Pitter on a whole different subject than what this thread is supposed to be about

Panthergrowl13, the same goes for you even if you haven't said you love this place you're here enough, so try some respect for the members of this board while you visit.

TKR members , glad to see some not happy with the way Panthergrowl13 and PSUPALY are disrespecting RU fans in this thread by hijacking it into their own BS fight instead of being part of the 5-1 discussion

On any single day. A team could pull off a upset.

History has shown this over and over again. I mean Appilation st. beat Michigan at Michigan. Looking at how well Michigan recruits. Nobody in their right mind would of thought that upset could happen.

Yet, it did!

Rutgers best chance of pulling off a upset during their last four games this year is MSU and Ped st.

Keep the faith
Lmfao. RU will finish last in the East and will battle Illinois for worst in the Big.

Lmfao. RU will finish last in the East and will battle Illinois for worst in the Big.
And Ped st will always be remembered as covering up the worst scandal in college football history.

I guess , if I was a fan of that cesspool . The only thing you can pound your chess is recruiting rankings. Pretty pathetic

Last edited:
Then show some respect when posting in a thread about Rutgers and try to keep your messages Rutgers related.
You can love us all you want, but with that love show some respect.
Now talk about Rutgers and ( excluding Penn St ) how you think they'll do after the 6th game , starting with Maryland and how many of the last 6 games you think RU has a shot of winning.
Don't take your boredom out on Rutgers fans by arguing with a Pitter on a whole different subject than what this thread is supposed to be about

Panthergrowl13, the same goes for you even if you haven't said you love this place you're here enough, so try some respect for the members of this board while you visit.

TKR members , glad to see some not happy with the way Panthergrowl13 and PSUPALY are disrespecting RU fans in this thread by hijacking it into their own BS fight instead of being part of the 5-1 discussion
Dude chill the fvck out. I was mainly heckling a Pitt fan. I didn’t say anything bad about you guys...Christ

I have no clue how your team will perform. I imagine not well. Only positive thing I can give you is I thought you lost games with dignity last year opposed to 2016’s squad which was a horrendous brand of football. The defense actually had a pulse, but you couldn’t move the ball to save your life. So what’s different this year? I don’t know...you tell me. Gio still the QB?...scary, if so. For Rutgers sake, better not to lose to effin Kansas. But the Big Ten slate?...geesh, I don’t think it’ll be good. Gotta win 5 games this year to gain or keep any remote momentum you have with NJ high school kids. 6-6?....sign Ash to an extension.

Not trying to flame, but that’s how I see it

Dude chill the fvck out. I was mainly heckling a Pitt fan. I didn’t say anything bad about you guys...Christ

I have no clue how your team will perform. I imagine not well. Only positive thing I can give you is I thought you lost games with dignity last year opposed to 2016’s squad which was a horrendous brand of football. The defense actually had a pulse, but you couldn’t move the ball to save your life. So what’s different this year? I don’t know...you tell me. Gio still the QB?...scary, if so. For Rutgers sake, better not to lose to effin Kansas. But the s comming fromg Ten slate?...geesh, I don’t think it’ll be good. Gotta win 5 games this year to gain or keep any remote momentum you have with NJ high school kids. 6-6?....sign Ash to an extension.

Not trying to flame, but that’s how I see it
See it wasn't that hard to talk about Rutgers on a Rutgers board. Maybe if you weren't so sensitive you would have seen where I was coming from .
Agree RU needs to win 5 games to start getting noticed by NJ area HS talent and gain the confidence of those who advise them.
Gio is still in the running for the QB starting position, but the odds on favorite is a true freshman.
I'm sure you seen his name mentioned in a thread or two, so no need for me to tell you about him.
As for Ash getting an extension, he's signed up to 2022, so after the 2019 season seems fair if he does well in 2018 and 2019.
Good talking Rutgers with you, lets do it again sometime :D

Last edited:
Ash has a chance to restore confidence in this program, but only if he can win the games this year that Rutgers should win and the ones RU is considered to have a chance of winning.
Also needs to have the team play the top programs competitively in order to help recruit against them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT