ADVERTISEMENT

A big surprise if Syracuse basketball doesn't land 4-star Kiyan Anthony, analyst says

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The 6-foot-5 Anthony, the son of Syracuse basketball legend, long-time NBA star and future Hall of Famer Carmelo Anthony, recently disclosed a top six of the 'Cuse, Ohio State, Auburn, Rutgers, Florida State and Southern California.

No loss if RU doesn't land Klyan, he's a Syracuse's legend son and should be expected to
commit to the Orange following in Carmelo's footsteps .
If he picks Rutgers , Ohio State, Auburn, Florida State or Southern California,
then it will be a shock to the system ( at least in my opinion) because his dad was a major part of Syracuse basketball and I'm sure he was hoping his son would be too

Maybe if Syracuse follows the lead of Villanova from years ago who hired family (or coach?) as a package deal with a recruit, Syracuse is a lock for young Anthony.

pretty sure Syracuse is the pick. Carmelo has been publically talking about it on his podcast. If his son was back and forth, he'd probably be more silent about it.

It will most likely be Syracuse unless he signs with ROC Nation and they push him here. There’s a lot more riding on this season (on AND off the court) than people realize.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
No loss if RU doesn't land Klyan, he's a Syracuse's legend son and should be expected to
commit to the Orange following in Carmelo's footsteps .
If he picks Rutgers , Ohio State, Auburn, Florida State or Southern California,
then it will be a shock to the system ( at least in my opinion) because his dad was a major part of Syracuse basketball and I'm sure he was hoping his son would be too
Yep.
If Ron Harper jr didn’t come and thrive here , I doubt Dylan comes

Even then, a Gary Waters coached Rutgers took care of soon to be NC Syracuse.

Just saying....

Even then, a Gary Waters coached Rutgers took care of soon to be NC Syracuse.

Just saying....
Saying what ? It’s basketball . So a lousy Rutgers team pulled an upset at home. It happens .
‘Cuse could have easily lost to Manhattan in the first round of the NCAA tourney that year too.

Hard to imagine that this kid won’t go to Syracuse.

Saying what ? It’s basketball . So a lousy Rutgers team pulled an upset at home. It happens .
‘Cuse could have easily lost to Manhattan in the first round of the NCAA tourney that year too.
I was yanking rat's chain because he was early off the Waters train.

Nothing profound intended. Not sure what you were looking for

Reactions: scarletrat
It will most likely be Syracuse unless he signs with ROC Nation and they push him here. There’s a lot more riding on this season (on AND off the court) than people realize.

Has ROC Nation been pushing people to Rutgers? I know they represent both Harper brothers but didn't they sign Ron after he left and Dylan after he committed?

Has ROC Nation been pushing people to Rutgers? I know they represent both Harper brothers but didn't they sign Ron after he left and Dylan after he committed?
if they really were, time to give Jay-Z an honorary degree

They have a thesis that RU is the best positiioned team for leveraging the NYC market for NIL opportunities. What I’ve been told is that their thesis hasn’t been proven yet, but if they can make a little noise this season and get that video of Pike sitting in the green room in Brooklyn with his two stars then the sky is the limit.

ROC Nation’s goal is to pull kids out of high school with strong NIL packages, start marketing these kids while in college, then acquire representation rights for those kids in the NBA.

The interesting thing here is that Melo was a Leon Rose/CAA guy, not a ROC nation guy. But ROC is trying hard to build out their roster.

They have a thesis that RU is the best positiioned team for leveraging the NYC market for NIL opportunities. What I’ve been told is that their thesis hasn’t been proven yet, but if they can make a little noise this season and get that video of Pike sitting in the green room in Brooklyn with his two stars then the sky is the limit.

ROC Nation’s goal is to pull kids out of high school with strong NIL packages, start marketing these kids while in college, then acquire representation rights for those kids in the NBA.

The interesting thing here is that Melo was a Leon Rose/CAA guy, not a ROC nation guy. But ROC is trying hard to build out their roster.

That’s interesting I never heard that. It makes a lot of sense and it’s something Rutgers fans have been saying for years. Let’s hope the 2024 field test is enough to prove the thesis.

Last edited:

ROC is definitely trying to get to players before they are drafted as many companies are now pivoting to, but there is no evidence they are trying to help Rutgers, or even care about Rutgers.

ROC is definitely trying to get to players before they are drafted as many companies are now pivoting to, but there is no evidence they are trying to help Rutgers, or even care about Rutgers.

No one implied that they were trying to help Rutgers. The suggestion is that Rutgers is the school best-positioned for them to leverage the NYC market in marketing their roster. That may or may not be true. Time will tell.

I never said they are trying to help Rutgers, nor care about Rutgers. For right now, they care about signing top players and they can do that by negotiating strong NIL deals with 3rd parties. They're not trying to get someone a deal with Old Man Rafferty's. They're getting real deals with real companies where access to NYC for their players is an important part of meeting their obligation. Rutgers just happens to luck out with 2 things. Geography and conference. Let's just say the Big East isn't as appealing from a money making standpoint.

I never said they are trying to help Rutgers, nor care about Rutgers. For right now, they care about signing top players and they can do that by negotiating strong NIL deals with 3rd parties. They're not trying to get someone a deal with Old Man Rafferty's. They're getting real deals with real companies where access to NYC for their players is an important part of meeting their obligation. Rutgers just happens to luck out with 2 things. Geography and conference. Let's just say the Big East isn't as appealing from a money making standpoint.
They are signing one and done players, not for their one year of college, but for their future NBA careers. They don’t care where these kids spend their one year in school, and being at Rutgers does not make you more marketable than going to Duke, North Carolina or UConn.

They are signing one and done players, not for their one year of college, but for their future NBA careers. They don’t care where these kids spend their one year in school, and being at Rutgers does not make you more marketable than going to Duke, North Carolina or UConn.

That one year in college is incredibly important for marketing their player's brands and is the basis for what shoe and apparel companies offer after they're drafted.

Now I think your second point is what is a current unknown because there's never been a top prospect in the NYC metro area. Zion Williamson was obviously a huge brand before, during, and right after college. Would the value of that brand be even higher if he did it in the NYC Metro area? Media coverage is certainly higher for top pro athletes in the area, see Aaron Rodgers, so why wouldn't it be the same for top college prospects?

That one year in college is incredibly important for marketing their player's brands and is the basis for what shoe and apparel companies offer after they're drafted.

Now I think your second point is what is a current unknown because there's never been a top prospect in the NYC metro area. Zion Williamson was obviously a huge brand before, during, and right after college. Would the value of that brand be even higher if he did it in the NYC Metro area? Media coverage is certainly higher for top pro athletes in the area, see Aaron Rodgers, so why wouldn't it be the same for top college prospects?
The player’s brand in his one year of college is not determined by his location, it is determined by what type of pro prospect he is. And the one year in college is irrelevant because the player is going wherever he gets drafted. And I don’t understand your point about Rodgers because he was a huge brand before he ever came to NYC.

just because it would completely freak out the 'Cuse fans I REALLY wish he goes elsewhere. understand chances are very slim but man it would be soooooo sweet if he did!!

Ohio State, Auburn, Florida State or Southern California....I dont care!

now, if was RU!!! THAT would be hilarious. somehow they'd blame Schiano (or a "fluky wind")

The player’s brand in his one year of college is not determined by his location, it is determined by what type of pro prospect he is. And the one year in college is irrelevant because the player is going wherever he gets drafted. And I don’t understand your point about Rodgers because he was a huge brand before he ever came to NYC.

No doubt that the brand for basketball players is mainly driven by their play and how good they ultimately are, which leads to more exposure and popularity, which leads to larger endorsements. The question is, does elite level play mixed with the proximity to NYC mean more exposure and popularity or would it not make a difference? You seem to think not but I think it's TBD. I used Rodgers as an example because, even though he was already popular, the national media exposure he's been getting since the trade to the Jets has gone up exponentially.

Reactions: ouchmyknee
Hmmm.. I would have thought Boeheim's departure would have made this more of a question. Adrian Autry was a Syracuse guard and later an assistant coach before becoming head coach.. but I see no direct ties with 'Melo... unless there was a lot of basketball alumni stuff going on. But, the recruiting process must have resulted in some positive relationship if things look as good as they do for Syracuse. 'Melo lives in Westchester.. Rutgers would be an easier trip to see his son play.

I was yanking rat's chain because he was early off the Waters train.

Nothing profound intended. Not sure what you were looking for

yes, I jumped off in year 2. team finished with 2 or 3 wins in BET, wasting the good will he had in year 1 when RU overachieved and beat 4 (?) ranked BE teams at home and finished .500 in conference.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT