ADVERTISEMENT

Another Crazy NIL Story - Oregon State RB

LeapinLou

Heisman Winner
Jul 25, 2001
Oregon State running back Damien Martinez is leaving the football program and plans to enter the transfer portal.

Supposedly, he was set up to make $400K in NIL money if he stayed. He had just under 1000 yards in 2022 and just under 1200 yards in 2023 with 16 TD over those two years.

Apparently, he initially said after coaching changes that he would stay. But you have to wonder if he was tampered with and someone is going to pay him more.

As a point of reference, Monangai had 1262 yards and 8 TDs last year but with more carries. Still very similar. I have no idea what Kyle is going to make next season.

If someone is going to pay him more…good for him. This is the system many wanted…and got! If this new system pisses off fans, introduces chaos into some AD or ruins what might be a dream season for some program…SO BE IT! the genie in not only out of the bottle, it took a sledge hammer to it.

I’m sure this Oregon State fella is thinking how his credits will transfer so he can finish his degree 🤭 (right?) I’m sure deep down his loyalties are to the beavers and his one and true Alma mater…again…🤭

The first time a “way over performing” RU football player gets money whipped by some SEC or top tier B1G program, the meltdown will be amazing to witness.

Get ready!

If someone is going to pay him more…good for him. This is the system many wanted…and got! If this new system pisses off fans, introduces chaos into some AD or ruins what might be a dream season for some program…SO BE IT! the genie in not only out of the bottle, it took a sledge hammer to it.

I’m sure this Oregon State fella is thinking how his credits will transfer so he can finish his degree 🤭 (right?) I’m sure deep down his loyalties are to the beavers and his one and true Alma mater…again…🤭

The first time a “way over performing” RU football player gets money whipped by some SEC or top tier B1G program, the meltdown will be amazing to witness.

Get ready!
Most diehards here can careless but will love the opportunity for the 15 page threads to discuss it at length.

Oregon State running back Damien Martinez is leaving the football program and plans to enter the transfer portal.

Supposedly, he was set up to make $400K in NIL money if he stayed. He had just under 1000 yards in 2022 and just under 1200 yards in 2023 with 16 TD over those two years.

Apparently, he initially said after coaching changes that he would stay. But you have to wonder if he was tampered with and someone is going to pay him more.

As a point of reference, Monangai had 1262 yards and 8 TDs last year but with more carries. Still very similar. I have no idea what Kyle is going to make next season.

Someday when these people apply for jobs not related to sports, I wonder how employers will react to getting a degree from 4 different colleges in 4 years. But I guess if they make enough money now, it won't really matter later.

Someday when these people apply for jobs not related to sports, I wonder how employers will react to getting a degree from 4 different colleges in 4 years. But I guess if they make enough money now, it won't really matter later.
Doesn’t matter… unless their post football career involves something more from a technical aspect it won’t be a hindrance. How many college degrees really are useful and pay ? If you went for free ( scholarship) you are ahead of most others who have financial responsibility to repay.

So far (knocking on wood) football has done a pretty good job of keeping players so there is NIL available.

Wondering how people , who currently are active donors , will feel about college athlete’s on scholarship making more than they do in their private lives . It is headed in that direction and it’s impact now though small will change the landscape of college sports even more so. It can certainly impact the future of NIL donations.

Wondering how people , who currently are active donors , will feel about college athlete’s on scholarship making more than they do in their private lives . It is headed in that direction and it’s impact now though small will change the landscape of college sports even more so. It can certainly impact the future of NIL donations.

If the RB in the OP is going to make $400k next year then he is likely making more than 80-90% of this board. The “when” is now. Personally I don’t care and I do donate.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Personally I couldn't care less who makes what
That includes Schiano, the President of the University, Pikell, or any of the players
Just win

What tampering? No such thing. Everyone is a constant free agent in the portal/NIL world. There are no rules like the professional game.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT