ADVERTISEMENT

Average career of NFL RB is 2.6 years

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Pacheco's already logged two years and has two remaining. He makes just under 1MM a year, so aside from any other streams of revenue, he's probably bringing in 550k a year net? What are the chances he'll survive another two years and still be able to negotiate another better paying contract?

No wonder these guys are broke within two years of retirement.

• Wow
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Pacheco's already logged two years and has two remaining. He makes just under 1MM a year, so aside from any other streams of revenue, he's probably bringing in 550k a year net? What are the chances he'll survive another two years and still be able to negotiate another better paying contract?

That doesn't include endorsements. Does it include playoff and SB checks? And as long as he is not a NJ or NY resident it's closer to $600k on the salary alone. I'd say 2 more years wouldn't set him up for life, but it would sure make a transition easy. And that's not factoring the NFL pension in later years.

That’s why it’s important to be drafted 1-2 rounds since they awarded millions before they sign another contract.

In next 2 years he needs to take less hits. He needs to get that 2nd contract. It will go a long way for his post football life.

Reactions: Scarlet83
That’s why it’s important to be drafted 1-2 rounds since they awarded millions before they sign another contract.
CEH was drafted in the first round and received a $5M bonus from the Chiefs and he’s now a backup.

If he's smart and I know he is, since he went to Rutgers where they require you to go to classes, he'll be just fine. Guys that go broke need the $50K chains, $350k Lamborghini's and $5 mil. dollar mansions. Some of them have the educational equivalent of a 5th grader.

oh Lord

Reactions: Scarlet1984

In one of the super bowl threads this was discussed. There are a few good comparisons of similar players who got second contracts worth $15-20 million (Miles Sanders, David Montgomery, Jamaal Williams). Hopefully he can get there.

$164k for winning players for SB.

Got curious and looked it up. Beyond the SB IP got

$50,500 Div. Round
$73,000 Conference Championship

So in the last 2 years he got an extra $289,500. X 2 = $579, 000, roughly $374,00 after taxes.

Reactions: redking
In one of the super bowl threads this was discussed. There are a few good comparisons of similar players who got second contracts worth $15-20 million (Miles Sanders, David Montgomery, Jamaal Williams). Hopefully he can get there.
Saquon Barkley behind KC OL and next to Mahomes would be a superstar.
Pacheco on the Giants would be mediocre.
I doubt IP would ever get double digit millions the way the league is now.
But the NFL cap just went up

NFL Announces Unprecedented Jump Related to 2024 Salary Cap​

Last edited:
Saquon Barkley behind KC OL and next to Mahomes would be a superstar.
Pacheco on the Giants would be mediocre.
I doubt IP would ever get double digit millions the way the league is now.
But the NFL cap just went up

NFL Announces Unprecedented Jump Related to 2024 Salary Cap​

That’s why I mentioned the three comparable players who’ve gotten double digit million contracts in the last 1-2 years. He’s got a very good chance

I looked up Ray Rice, round 2 #55 overall pick, earnings and he survived 7 seasons, the first 4 seasons about $4 million, signed 5 years $35 million and earned 29.7 million overall. He made it pass 4 years to the second contract.

I looked up Ray Rice, round 2 #55 overall pick, earnings and he survived 7 seasons, the first 4 seasons about $4 million, signed 5 years $35 million and earned 29.7 million overall. He made it pass 4 years to the second contract.

Rice was also a tremendous receiver - had over 50 catches a season 5x.
If Pacheco could do that he would be in a much better position.
As used, Pacheco is a sawed-off shotgun - open a hole and blast him through to the open spaces created by Mahomes and receivers.

If he's smart and I know he is, since he went to Rutgers where they require you to go to classes, he'll be just fine. Guys that go broke need the $50K chains, $350k Lamborghini's and $5 mil. dollar mansions. Some of them have the educational equivalent of a 5th grader.
The bigger problem is bad business investments. You have guys coming out of the wood work with business proposals which most turn out to be major disasters. I cringe every time I hear of an athlete opening a bar or restaurant. The failure rate on those are so high but everyone thinks they can be successful in them. The NFL use to push buying self service car washes on players. They did it for several reason. The first is that they have low start up costs, they don't require much labor and it is a conservative investment because low start up costs and you always retain value on the land.

Unfortunately for Pacheco the Chiefs like rotating RB's. After his initial contract they will move on to the next young RB. Hopefully he can get a 2nd contract with another team before being tossed aside by the league. I hope he can be an exception but odds are against him here.

That doesn't include endorsements. Does it include playoff and SB checks? And as long as he is not a NJ or NY resident it's closer to $600k on the salary alone. I'd say 2 more years wouldn't set him up for life, but it would sure make a transition easy. And that's not factoring the NFL pension in later years.
NFL pension is for players with 5 years - or has that changed?

NFL pension is for players with 5 years - or has that changed?
It used to be 4 years. That is for full pension and medical. Under 4 years and it is tiered down. You do get medical for 5 years and some pension, I believe , after 62.

Eligibility for NFL Pension

To be eligible for an NFL pension, a player must:

• Play in the NFL for at least three seasons or be considered vested by being on a team’s roster for at least three games (regular season or postseason).
  • Each season played counts as a credit, which determines the pension amount received.
It’s important to note that there is no set retirement age for NFL players. Retirement is often dictated by factors such as age, injury, or being replaced by a less expensive player.

Players can also contribute to an NFL sponsored 401-K

Interesting enough, the way players get paid, you have to file and pay taxes in every state you play your away games in.

I believe IP has also gotten some endorsements so that helps as well for long term.
Players are much better off than they were 10 years ago when min rookie salary was around $300k and PS $90k.
And even if you don’t buy gold chains and 200k cars, you still found yourself footing some big bills. Things you may think are silly but you are suddenly best friends with millionaires. Maybe one of the guys is getting married and you are invited. Bachelor party in Vegas and destination wedding.
Or the rookie dinner where rookies are taking their entire position group out to dinner. Those bills usually end up in the tens of thousands.

You then end your career after 3 years, maybe have a couple hundred K in the bank. And you find out your first job is in sales or GA for coaching and your starting salary is $30-40 k and you eat up that savings quickly…
It’s why that 2nd contract is huge and why so many teams find ways to cut players after 3…

He's made $1.575 million in salary, $79k in '22 signing bonus, and around $650k in playoff money which brings him to a touch over $2.3 million. He's scheduled to make $985k in base salary in '24 and $1.1 million in '25.

RB's are not a big ticket item in the NFL so, no, he's not rich by NFL standards but for someone who just turned 24 years old yesterday, he's doing just fine.

It's up to him and hopefully good management to plan for the future.

2021-2023. Gus Edwards signed a 2 year, $9,000,000 contract with the Baltimore Ravens, including a $3,750,000 signing bonus, $3,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,500,000.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Interesting enough, the way players get paid, you have to file and pay taxes in every state you play your away games in.

I believe IP has also gotten some endorsements so that helps as well for long term.
Players are much better off than they were 10 years ago when min rookie salary was around $300k and PS $90k.
And even if you don’t buy gold chains and 200k cars, you still found yourself footing some big bills. Things you may think are silly but you are suddenly best friends with millionaires. Maybe one of the guys is getting married and you are invited. Bachelor party in Vegas and destination wedding.
Or the rookie dinner where rookies are taking their entire position group out to dinner. Those bills usually end up in the tens of thousands.

You then end your career after 3 years, maybe have a couple hundred K in the bank. And you find out your first job is in sales or GA for coaching and your starting salary is $30-40 k and you eat up that savings quickly…
It’s why that 2nd contract is huge and why so many teams find ways to cut players after 3…

File except Texas, Florida, Nevada and Tennessee. Remember Ohio tried to nail players on IR and not with the team when they played but got blown out of the water in court.

2021-2023. Gus Edwards signed a 2 year, $9,000,000 contract with the Baltimore Ravens, including a $3,750,000 signing bonus, $3,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,500,000.
And he's a free agent now. Hope he gets another good deal.

As used, Pacheco is a sawed-off shotgun - open a hole and blast him through to the open spaces created by Mahomes and receivers.
Counting playoffs IP had 56 receptions in 61 targets this past season. They didn't use him in the passing game much his rookie year but increased his workload in '23.

RR was an elite RB in the NFL. Nearly 2k combined yards in his prime years.
He started to drop but still would have been very good for a few more years.
That damn punch…

Reactions: ashokan
RR was an elite RB in the NFL. Nearly 2k combined yards in his prime years.
He started to drop but still would have been very good for a few more years.
That damn punch…

Rice was a local who I was watching since 2003.
I knew most of his tricks and abilities and his mentality
Rice was ready to have the best season of his NFL career in 2014
Just before the video came out Rice was back to 205 lbs and averaging 13 yds a carry preseason.
He was playing fast and making defenders look weak.
He was struggling in 2013 because of the slow healing hip AND because the Ravens OL was really bad.
OL was struggling with new zone blocking and Rice was stuck in backfield all the time - so was backup Bernard Pierce (Temple).

Ray could be counted on to rise to challenges - he was a playmaker in most big games. He was super geared-up to make a return and prove his ability.

It used to be 4 years. That is for full pension and medical. Under 4 years and it is tiered down. You do get medical for 5 years and some pension, I believe , after 62.
Thanks. I had an employee who played a year with Seattle and a year with the Cowboys then spent 3 in NFL Europe for a total of 5 but NFL wasn't counting the Europe years so he doesn't qualify for a pension. He's part of a class action suit to try to get the Europe years to count towards his pension time.
Not looking good. It's been 30 years. Lol

I make way less than 550k a year and am not broke…

Don’t this argument.

Don’t this argument.

I imagine it’s apples and oranges unless your employed based on a skill that is marketable for only about 2 years. It’s easy to say you should make wise choices with saving and not spending excessively but while your playing you are surrounded by millionaires. Then suddenly the income stream ends. So yeah - I can see how many of these guys blow through the money when it’s short lived. The ones who are well spoken can sometimes find a media gig calling the games for one of the sports networks.

KC’s WRs we’re terrible last season.

KC’s WRs we’re terrible last season.

..including Kelce..but they still have to be covered by defense.
Reid likes to flood zones and use bunched formations (leaves gaps in the flats and/or up the sidelines).
That's a reason Kelce gets open so much - he knows where the stitches are.
The same areas are open to the run

Don’t this argument.
Most of us make our largest paychecks from the middle of our careers until retirement- most NFL players will never make the same money again. It is a very tough concept to a lot of players.
Also to fans.

Counting playoffs IP had 56 receptions in 61 targets this past season. They didn't use him in the passing game much his rookie year but increased his workload in '23.
You beat me to it.Pacheco is more than capable of catching the football out of the backfield. This thinking he ‘s only a runner is lame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT