ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament Thread

Possible portal target for 174 for us from Columbia? Lennox Wolak won EIWA Champ for Columbia at 174. If he has any eligibility, we can replace Turley with him and not miss a beat.

Not sure he has eligibility left, as he's wrestled 4 years and 1 of them wasn't the 2021 free year, but he may. He'd need a medical RS for that 2021-22 season where he injury defaulted out of the 2021 George Mason University Patriot Open and didn't wrestle again that season.

Season Summaries​

Season
Class
Rank
Weight
Record
School
Win %
Bns %
SR ST
#19 NQ
15 - 4
#25 Columbia
78.95%
50.00%
JR ST
#20 NQ
19 - 11
#51 Columbia
63.33%
35.48%
SO
6 - 1
#53 Columbia
85.71%
75.00%
SO
NA
0 - 0
NYC RTC
0.00%
0.00%
FR ST
15 - 14
#53 Columbia
51.72%
24.24%
Career55 - 3064.71%38.14%
That could work since Soldano is a bit undersized at 184. Then move Poz back to 184 and maybe find a portal add at 197.
Not sure why people keep harping on guys cutting more weight when they've never done it in HS. It's not suddenly happening now in college so move on already.
Ayzerov is a Jersey kid too. Owned Foca this year and beat him 3 times.

Soldano I believe has a RS available as well. Maybe add Ayzerov at 184 and have Soldano RS next year.
He's in yr 3 at Columbia and isn't transferring out without his degree in 2025. He's set up well with finance jobs/internships, so I doubt it, but his dad is a Rutgers alum so 0.1% chance 😂.

Anyone watch Big12 finals last night?!? That was some tough wrestling!

Yesterday was the perfect segue to nationals with all the tournament finals available to stream once the B1G concluded.

Reactions: UnderHooks
That could work since Soldano is a bit undersized at 184. Then move Poz back to 184 and maybe find a portal add at 197.
Ideally, if the could both get to those lower weights, thats what I'd like to see. With Turley at 174, the lineup was better with them at the higher weights.

Not sure why people keep harping on guys cutting more weight when they've never done it in HS. It's not suddenly happening now in college so move on already.

Poz was at the lower weight last year. Soldano pretty much had no choice to wrestle at 184 this year and last without hurting the lineup. In high school, Soldano had the luxury of wrestling any weight class he wanted. Maybe he didn't want to try and cut to a lower weight. Poz and Soldano were undersized but still wrestled tough. Opponents were bigger, stronger, longer which limited their effectiveness IMO. Either way, and depending on Turley/transfers, the opportunity could be there to drop down for both.

Reactions: elvis7
Ideally, if the could both get to those lower weights, thats what I'd like to see. With Turley at 174, the lineup was better with them at the higher weights.

Poz was at the lower weight last year. Soldano pretty much had no choice to wrestle at 184 this year and last without hurting the lineup. In high school, Soldano had the luxury of wrestling any weight class he wanted. Maybe he didn't want to try and cut to a lower weight. Poz and Soldano were undersized but still wrestled tough. Opponents were bigger, stronger, longer which limited their effectiveness IMO. Either way, and depending on Turley/transfers, the opportunity could be there to drop down for both.
Soldano last wrestled in the 170s in 2020. I'd be shocked if he dropped to 174 for 2024-25.

Last edited:
Possible portal target for 174 for us from Columbia? Lennox Wolak won EIWA Champ for Columbia at 174. If he has any eligibility, we can replace Turley with him and not miss a beat.

Hopefully soldano is at 174 next year.

Some people are never happy with weight classes. It’s wild. If Soldano was at 174, the same people would say he’s cutting too much and would benefit going up a weight.

I think the coaches and wrestlers know how the puzzle pieces fit a lot better than we do.

Some people are never happy with weight classes. It’s wild. If Soldano was at 174, the same people would say he’s cutting too much and would benefit going up a weight.

I think the coaches and wrestlers know how the puzzle pieces fit a lot better than we do.
He can be a top 20 wrestler at 184 but I just don’t think he’ll ever AA there. He’s significantly smaller than a lot of other guys.

He can be a top 20 wrestler at 184 but I just don’t think he’ll ever AA there. He’s significantly smaller than a lot of other guys.
He can be electric but struggles with fundamentally sound wrestlers like Bullock. He also struggles on bottom with small frame. Feel like hes at his best when his opponent is willing to play his style of funk.

Wonder if Cetta can grab a large. My confidence is low after what happened to Olivieri last year but it seems plausible at least.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Wonder if Cetta can grab a large. My confidence is low after what happened to Olivieri last year but it seems plausible at least.

4 spots available-- Martin, Swisher and Castillo earned bids for their conference so I think those 3 are the first ones in(at least that my prediction). So that leaves 1 spot open. Jones does not have any wins over NCAA qualifiers so not sure he gets in and do not think Singelton has any wins over qualifiers. Could come down to Cetta vs Rivera from Princeton. Both have 2 wins over qualifiers but Rivera has a win over Cetta. That might be the difference.

4 spots available-- Martin, Swisher and Castillo earned bids for their conference so I think those 3 are the first ones in(at least that my prediction). So that leaves 1 spot open. Jones does not have any wins over NCAA qualifiers so not sure he gets in and do not think Singelton has any wins over qualifiers. Could come down to Cetta vs Rivera from Princeton. Both have 2 wins over qualifiers but Rivera has a win over Cetta. That might be the difference.
It'd be nice if Cetta can get the last at large spot due to that head to head win over the Princeton kid.

Could come down to Cetta vs Rivera from Princeton. Both have 2 wins over qualifiers but Rivera has a win over Cetta. That might be the difference.

It'd be nice if Cetta can get the last at large spot due to that head to head win over the Princeton kid.

Reading is hard lol. Regardless we'll find out if Cetta is in or out. I wonder if SOS helps Cetta out as a B1G slate is far more rugged than an EIWA one with the Princeton kid.
Reading comprehension gets difficult due to one incorrect and two opposing statements, lol!! For the record, Cetta lost in SV to Rivera.

What about Desantis? Since I'm lazy I have not gone as in depth as you but curious if he has a shot?

I'd go after Askey at Appy State, as he'll probably graduate this year with 1 year left, and see if you can level him up, but I doubt he's interested in transferring. Doubt we have $ for anyone higher.
Askey in the portal.

Reactions: bigmatt718
What does he want to major in as a grad student? If he wants to major in business, RU dominates VT.
He's currently an accounting major in the App St b-school, so likely an MBA in accounting or something else at RBS would be a good fit, if we're interested. Looks to have a 3.73 GPA so no issue with academics.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT