ADVERTISEMENT

Bailey Had offers from 2 Division II schools...

LevaosLectures

All Conference
Jun 28, 2015
....not FCS, but actual Division 2. Forget about Power 5, forget about FBS....forget about Division 1 entirely! (And how many non P5 and FCS schools are there in Texas and Oklahoma that could have offered?)

I'm not slamming the kid but I've been following recruiting for a whIle and I don't think I've ever seen the like. For sure we will snag kids with only FCS offers and the negatoids will gripe and complain....but taking a kid with a Rhode Island offer is a lot different than a kid whose best offer is Tarleton State.

Anyone else find this strange? Can you remember anythIng similar?

....not FCS, but actual Division 2. Forget about Power 5, forget about FBS....forget about Division 1 entirely! (And how many non P5 and FCS schools are there in Texas and Oklahoma that could have offered?)

I'm not slamming the kid but I've been following recruiting for a whIle and I don't think I've ever seen the like. For sure we will snag kids with only FCS offers and the negatoids will gripe and complain....but taking a kid with a Rhode Island offer is a lot different than a kid whose best offer is Tarleton State.

I'm looking to find any instances of this happening over the passed 30-40 years, I'll get back to you shortly.

uasD8Yp.gif

Reactions: okieKnight908
Watching the kid's tape, given his size and speed.....it makes it even more mysterious.

The definitive last ditch, reach recruit I can think of is Margolis....right before signing day in the calamitous year of 2014. And his offer sheet (URI, Maine, etc.) looks like Jabrill Peppers's compared to Baileys.

it happens - most often the kid ends up being a walk-on - but sometimes the kid gets a break& gets a scholarship - - - and sometimes it becomes more noticeable because the recruit turns out to be really good -
-the following is from a 2013 article -
Sometimes they miss. Look no further than Paul James -- the breakout star this season for Rutgers. Coming out of Glassboro High School, James was unranked and unknown. He walked on at Rutgers in 2011

Thanks for that garbage. You are slamming the kid on his day in the sun so don't say you aren't. As usual you contribute absolutely nothing.

a couple more walk-ons -

T.J. Ward

T.J. Ward played at the legendary De La Salle High School, but didn't become a starter until his senior year. In the third game of the season, he broke his leg. As a result, he was barely recruited and decided to walk on at Oregon. Ward worked hard on the scout team and eventually earned a scholarship. He continued to battle injuries throughout his career at Oregon but was eventually named All-Pac 10 Honorable Mention. Ward is now an NFL Pro Bowler, despite starting only two full games in high school.

Jordy Nelson

Aaron Rodgers' favorite target was a walk-on. Jordy Nelson grew up in Kansas and played quarterback in high school. He was good, but only received offers from smaller schools. Nelson decided to chase his dream and joined Kansas State as a walk-on.

Nelson initially played safety. He made the switch to receiver at the behest of Kansas State coach Bill Sndyer. Good move. Nelson blossomed into an All-American wideout and eventually was drafted by the Green Bay Packers, for whom he can still be seen snagging touchdowns today.

Reactions: BLewis1968
a couple more walk-ons -

T.J. Ward

T.J. Ward played at the legendary De La Salle High School, but didn't become a starter until his senior year. In the third game of the season, he broke his leg. As a result, he was barely recruited and decided to walk on at Oregon. Ward worked hard on the scout team and eventually earned a scholarship. He continued to battle injuries throughout his career at Oregon but was eventually named All-Pac 10 Honorable Mention. Ward is now an NFL Pro Bowler, despite starting only two full games in high school.

Jordy Nelson

Aaron Rodgers' favorite target was a walk-on. Jordy Nelson grew up in Kansas and played quarterback in high school. He was good, but only received offers from smaller schools. Nelson decided to chase his dream and joined Kansas State as a walk-on.

Nelson initially played safety. He made the switch to receiver at the behest of Kansas State coach Bill Sndyer. Good move. Nelson blossomed into an All-American wideout and eventually was drafted by the Green Bay Packers, for whom he can still be seen snagging touchdowns today.

Bailey isn't a walk on.

Guys im not talking about a walk on here. I am also not slamming the kid. I just can't remember a similar situation.

You are 100% back-handing the guy, and you not even owning up to it is a bitch move.

We seem to have a lot of extra schollies available this year, so why the eff not offer him if they like him as a project? It isn't like we have to pull someone else's spot for him.

Reactions: mychaljohn
Guys im not talking about a walk on here. I am also not slamming the kid. I just can't remember a similar situation.

Yeah I get ya... And Vince Papale never should have played for the Eagles, let alone Burton and James for RU.

You are 100% back-handing the guy, and you not even owning up to it is a bitch move.

We seem to have a lot of extra schollies available this year, so why the eff not offer him if they like him as a project? It isn't like we have to pull someone else's spot for him.

Fine. ..he's the most lightly recruited player I've seen Rutgers offer a scholarship to in at least five years. Now I hope he turns out to be an All Conference first round pick.

What is your point? yes, it is unique - information is not perfect - kids get overlooked - so it happens from time to time as I said in my first comment - some of the kids who are close to what you described are walk-ons - & some get luck in that somebody notices them - some take themselves out of the process & go straight to a Junior College instead of trying for a scholarship at a major 4-year school.

- each situation is different - each has nuances - some kids go unnoticed because they were hurt, some because they sat behind a star ( think Ben Rothlisberger at Miami of Ohio) some played a different sport - or like Bailey who played many - Football, Basketball, Baseball and ran Track - and could have been recruited in other sports ......and like Paul James - went to a small high school (9-12 grades have total of 440 students)

I like Ash, but this move reeks of desperation, as does the predicted flip from Delaware State by Santos. We are now competing with Tarleton State and Delaware State? Flood would have been crucified for such recruiting. Maybe Ash sees something that the dozens of coaches in Texas do not see. Maybe the kid will turn out to be the next Percy Harvin.

Last edited:

Yes you are slamming the kid.

Reactions: Underdogs88
What's the problem? Do you see four star receivers lining up 12-deep trying to vie for a RU scholarship? The QBs need to throw to somebody, so if a kid with the right measurables come along, you take him.

Reactions: tico brown
If it makes you feel better according to rivals he had an offer from Tulsa. It's sort of surprising looking at his tape and his stats that he hasn't had more offers.

Sorry, but yeah, you're slamming the kid. Sometimes the better thing to do is to just not say anything at all. And you're more than smart enough to know that.

Not sure if you heard but the last coach destroyed our program and was just fired six weeks ago. Can we just enjoy watching what a real coaching staff can do without the panic? The best players in NJ and the best players in other states will be coming to RU within the next year or two. Just relax. I'm not expecting good, I'm expecting history-making.

But at this stop, all the chicken shits need to get off the bus.

Not sure if you heard but the last coach destroyed our program and was just fired six weeks ago. Can we just enjoy watching what a real coaching staff can do without the panic? The best players in NJ and the best players in other states will be coming to RU within the next year or two. Just relax. I'm not expecting good, I'm expecting history-making.

But at this stop, all the chicken shits need to get off the bus.
all will be forgiven if we flip the kid from delaware st

Reactions: cicero grimes
Dri Archer only had 1 offer. Kent State.

Doug Martin had only 1 offer. Boise State

Khalil Mack had 1 offer. Buffalo

T.Y. Hilton was a 2 star recruit

Victor Cruz no offers. Enrolled at UMass.

Or how about arguably the best player in the NFL...

JJ Watt - 2 star recruit
offers: CMU, Colorado, Minnesota, UNI, Wyoming

I like Ash, but this move reeks of desperation, as does the predicted flip from Delaware State by Santos. We are now competing with Tarleton State and Delaware State? Flood would have been crucified for such recruiting. Maybe Ash sees something that the dozens of coaches in Texas do not see. Maybe the kid will turn out to be the next Percy Harvin.

To say Flood would have been crucified for such recruiting is absolutely ridiculous. Ash had 2 months to garner relationships and evaluate players. He was not a head coach like Babers who took his whole recruiting class from Bowling Green. Do you know how hard it is to do this? Just be glad he is actually making character assessments, unlike Flood, and vetting the recruits accordingly

Reactions: RedSpartan
No shame or remorse by the OP? Our newest recruit who comes to us all the way from Texas shamefully attacked on the Free Board no less for all to read.
You would think a man as intelligent as the OP would know better, I mean we're talking about a big day in the life of this kid!
Don't play dumb either, we all know it's a back handed miserable insult
I love this kid and the unique skill set he brings.

It's actually good to recruit these guys no one else wants. Requires hardly any effort from coaches. It's like signing a Dominican shortstop for a $100 bonus. They just want to sign

There have been a lot of posts about NFL stars who were lightly regarded out of HS. No one has pointed out the CFP was loaded with 4/5* players on every team. That should be the concern here

Aaron Ridgers?

He is highly recommended from a trusted source and very, very fast. He also was part of a spread offense. Do speedy WR fit in well in a spread? WELCOME to the Banks, Mr. Bailey!!!

I too see a little criticism in the OP. But dam it guys we're in the B10!! We should be competiting with BC, Pitt and other D1A schools. Either I don't understand recruiting or I don't understand Rutgers. But something doesn't add up to me. Our disappointment in Flood was that he couldn't recruit, well Ash has not proved he is doing much better.

Last edited:
From Scout.com on Bailey...

"Scout national recruiting analyst Greg Powers called Bailey 'the definition of a sleeper.'"

“Playing for a smaller school north of Dallas, Bailey went under the radar for much of the recruiting process as Rutgers identified him late in the process and secured him on campus for an official visit,” Powers said. “He is a new-age, valuable weapon in an offense where he can line up in the backfield or split out wide as a receiver and that position is one that can get a lot of use in the Texas spread-based systems and that is likely how he will be used in college.”

Bailey said the staff told him he'll be used like an H-Back. In that sense there's definitely a role for him in this new offense. He's got good hands and keeps his legs moving even when there's 2-3 guys hanging on him. Perhaps he becomes a big special teams contributor. Let's not all get riled up over one commit just because we're frustrated the Rashan Gary's & Jordan Fulller's of the world aren't signing here in 2016.

I've been part of this community for close to a decade and have realized that 3/4 of the asinine posts on this board come from users I don't recognize. I swear most of them have to be trolls.

Reactions: imbazza2
You can't teach speed and this kid is fast. He got the measurables for a good H-back/slot receiver, he's perfect for the spread offense. And he comes recommended from coaching contacts in Texas, I can see him replace Grant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT