ADVERTISEMENT

Big Man

MCKnight2004

Senior
Oct 25, 2012
Thought since this is our current biggest off season topic of interest, it deserved its own thread

Andrew Carr of Wake is down to Nova, Texas Tech and Kentucky

Okpara of Ohio St. who fits perfectly is on a visit to Tenn. they However received a commit from a Charlotte big. Not sure if that impacts his decision

Josh Gray of South Carolina originally from Brooklyn. Any interst? He’s got size, but has been a career back up

Also thinking we can’t afford NIL for a legit starter and will be looking at a 3 headed monster at center with a low level big to play with Ogbole and Somerville
Kind of disappointed with NILas we were told repeatedly we have plenty yet now we hear we can’t afford this guy or that guy . We were even told we could not afford cliff if he wanted to come back. So not sure what happens next with NIL

Kind of disappointed with NILas we were told repeatedly we have plenty yet now we hear we can’t afford this guy or that guy . We were even told we could not afford cliff if he wanted to come back. So not sure what happens next with NIL

The market for a Cliff level BIG is $1M plus. There’s probably only a handful of programs who can easily dish this out (and not that many proven BIGs to go around - supply and demand). Put into context how much money that is. It’s likely more than double what we’re paying the 3 incoming transfers and J Will combined.

But in our case it’s more than just the money. We’re likely not even a realistic candidate in the market for an offensive BIG because we’d probably have to pay a big premium on MV. We can’t sell that our BIG will be a focal point in the offense. So we’re realistically in the hunt for an MJ type to complement the talent coming in. Think of it that way. We’re not seeking out an Agee - we’re on the hunt for a kid fresh off of a season like MJ’s 2018-19 season. We need to secure production like 2019-20 from the 5 spot. Expecting Somerville and Ogbole to replicate the production of the Shaqs is reasonable. We need the MJ piece…

Reactions: Arizona Knight
…and he was a “man amongst boys” in the pre-season if I remember correctly.

Agee’s rebounding efficiency was poor on a terrible San Jose State team. His biggest selling point was the 11+ ppg but that was a fools gold stat as most of his buckets were earned in garbage time of blowout losses.

What we’re likely in the market for is an MJ type. His 2018-19 line wouldn’t have commanded top dollar. 4.8 ppg / 5.7 rpg in 17.5 mpg of action.

Assuming only 0 or 1 of our new guys bust we are going to not have enough minutes for everyone. Play your best 5 basketball players.

Last year Pike gave up at times and played Oskar at the 5.

Do NOT get Agee V2.0. Roll with Ogobole, Sommerville, and (Ace or Martini)

Yes I am worried about a lack of shot blocking 5 hurting our D. Agee was far from a shot blocking 5.

Question is how must does Pike trust ogobole? If i were to make a guess? not much

Reactions: MV9000
Sommerville is a serious talent. Ogbole is raw but a physical freak with potential that they want to develop. We'd all love one of these top 15 bigs that would relegate both of these guys to the back of the bench. But we can have a very good team adding another rotation player at roughly Sommerville/Ogbole's anticipated level. I'm not talking Agee.

The complaints about NIL are a little misguided.

We do have NIL but the market for top tier bigs is more competitive than any other position. So any decent big is going to command way more $ than a similarly skilled wing or guard.

Just look at the rankings and you’ll see there are a fraction of highly regarded bigs compared to wings and guards.

Not to mention bigs of that caliber don’t want to be option 4 on an offense

This board’s assessment of the current state of Rutgers 5 position is a fade, both in the overvaluation of what Cliff brings to the table and the undervaluation of what Lathan and Ogbole bring to the table.
I still believe we add a 5 that complements what we already have.
Cliff Cliff Cliff Cliff, the most under accomplished most glorified athlete ever to leave the banks.

The complaints about NIL are a little misguided.

We do have NIL but the market for top tier bigs is more competitive than any other position. So any decent big is going to command way more $ than a similarly skilled wing or guard.

Just look at the rankings and you’ll see there are a fraction of highly regarded bigs compared to wings and guards.

Not to mention bigs of that caliber don’t want to be option 4 on an offense
I agree with this. The drop off in performance after the top 20 or so bigs is steep. The dropoff for all other positions is more gradual.

I'd rather ask Woolfolk back and give him a few sandwiches, daily

I suspect Pike must think he can find a better defender / rim protector than Wolf. I’d like to think he probably can/will. Folks forget that back when we brought in Agee, we were in the market for someone who was at best going to compete with Dean Reiber to earn the back up role behind Cliff. The opening (at that time) wasn’t a fit for a kid who performed well as the back up somewhere else hoping to step into a starting role. There was zero chance of starter minutes. The current opening we have, in contrast, should be very attractive to kids with the 2018-19 MJ type profile.

That’s not what our fan base is hoping for - but that’s likely what we’re going to end up with in my opinion. A kid who played 15-18 minutes with modest scoring, ideally one who grabbed 5+ or so boards.

We were told that RU has decent NIL & would be in the market for tier 2/3 type players. I don't recall anyone in the know ever saying they would be free spenders in the portal market. Of course, we wouldn't be in this position if RU alums/fans provided the various programs with enough to chase the big dogs.

Maybe things would have been different if Pike didn't have to turn over so much of the roster. Depth has been an issue for awhile so they couldn't blow most of their available funds on a tier 1 big. With the guys already on board this is likely the deepest bench Pike has ever had at RU.

They will land a big that is an acceptable replacement. People need to stop thinking it's going to be the same level as Cliff. That's not needed for this roster.

Josh Gray looks like a realistic serviceable Big man with a lot of experience, add him, and by season end Somerville is the starter.

Epic fail seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Josh Gray was beat out by better players on a team that finished 26-8 (only lost 6 times in the regular season). His resume from the prior year does fit the profile we’d be looking for. The issue is that SC was so bad the prior season that it’s hard to take much away from his numbers (similar to with Agee. Garbage time data is very unreliable).

Michigan is going to land Vlad Goldin - along with already having landed the Yale big. Can they lend one of them to us?
Michigan is one of the few schools that probably has unlimited funds. They also will feature their center position more than we will - another selling point.

Epic fail seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Josh Gray was beat out by better players on a team that finished 26-8 (only lost 6 times in the regular season). His resume from the prior year does fit the profile we’d be looking for. The issue is that SC was so bad the prior season that it’s hard to take much away from his numbers (similar to with Agee. Garbage time data is very unreliable).
Our biggest objective in the portal coming into the most important season in recent memory was to get a big man. Sorry, but with all the NBA eyes on Dylan and Ace, and with seemingly half of all players in the portal, and all we can get is a very mediocre SEC backup, that’s a fail.

Don't know the eligibility of the guys we've been interested in but is the staff looking at mostly 1 year guys to hold the fort until Lathan takes over fully next year?
Or bringing in a guy with multiple years who might push Lathan to a bench role in 2025 as well?

Cook would be a decent get. Not spectacular at anything, but pretty good rebounder, finishes well for someone who mostly scores below the basket, holds his own enough on D and i think would work well in Pike's system. Veteran too.

Our biggest objective in the portal coming into the most important season in recent memory was to get a big man. Sorry, but with all the NBA eyes on Dylan and Ace, and with seemingly half of all players in the portal, and all we can get is a very mediocre SEC backup, that’s a fail.

That’s not “all we got”. We already secured the leading scorers from both the MAC and the NEC along with a starter from a 24-5 Princeton team.

The reality is there probably aren’t that many desirable centers out there who want to play a complementary offensive role, period. Forget even about the money, which is another factor. We can’t neglect other positions because we didn’t have a lot period to surround Dylan and Ace with. So now we’re stocked at the other positions. If we end up getting a servicable guy at center to rotate with Somerville and Ogbole it won’t be a complete disaster. We just can’t get an unplayable Agee level defender.

Don't know the eligibility of the guys we've been interested in but is the staff looking at mostly 1 year guys to hold the fort until Lathan takes over fully next year?
Or bringing in a guy with multiple years who might push Lathan to a bench role in 2025 as well?
absolutely should be looking one year at a time because you never know who will stick past next year. worry about 2025 then. get the best player no matter how much eligibility.

Having NIL money is much different than willing to use it if a player isn't worth it to coach. Where guys come up with the continuous nonsense is incredible. What we need, what we got, enough minutes to spread ?--what jerky posts.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
The staff's number one priority is a big. We have been told we have money and unless I'm missing something, we are offering starter minutes on a team that will have NBA scouts most nights and is already ranked in the top 25 in many pre-season polls. Richie is preaching patience. At this point, we don't have a choice. Ha. But, in all seriousness, you would think that someone would jump at that opportunity.

That’s not “all we got”. We already secured the leading scorers from both the MAC and the NEC along with a starter from a 24-5 Princeton team.

The reality is there probably aren’t that many desirable centers out there who want to play a complementary offensive role, period. Forget even about the money, which is another factor. We can’t neglect other positions because we didn’t have a lot period to surround Dylan and Ace with. So now we’re stocked at the other positions. If we end up getting a servicable guy at center to rotate with Somerville and Ogbole it won’t be a complete disaster. We just can’t get an unplayable Agee level defender.
I’m not buying this argument. In the past, we couldn’t get a backup center because Cliff ate up all the minutes at that postion. Now, the minutes are on a silver platter and we can’t get one…just more excuses Also, Harper is an excellent guard with great vision. Cliff’s offensive number would have jumped with him on the team. NBA scouts are going to be all over our games. You mean to tell me there’s not one solid center that doesn’t see this opportunity?

As far as the other players, I’m intrigued by Derkack despite his horrendous turnover numbers (he won’t be handling the ball as much here but B1G defenders are not NEC defenders either). The other two are needed bench players but probably not much more. Regardless, I’m fine with this. It’s the center position that has me frustrated…but it’s not over yet.

Reactions: RUsojo
I’m not buying this argument. In the past, we couldn’t get a backup center because Cliff ate up all the minutes at that postion. Now, the minutes are on a silver platter and we can’t get one…just more excuses Also, Harper is an excellent guard with great vision. Cliff’s offensive number would have jumped with him on the team. NBA scouts are going to be all over our games. You mean to tell me there’s not one solid center that doesn’t see this opportunity?

As far as the other players, I’m intrigued by Derkack despite his horrendous turnover numbers (he won’t be handling the ball as much here but B1G defenders are not NEC defenders either). The other two are needed bench players but probably not much more. Regardless, I’m fine with this. It’s the center position that has me frustrated…but it’s not over yet.
NIL has changed things over the last year. It's not about minutes now. Catch up and stay abreast.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT