ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten aims to have new media rights deal, worth up to $1 billion, in place around Memorial Day

More about the F1 deal I mentioned above as a point of reference and just how far a streaming service could go. Still ended up with ESPN even though they weren’t the highest bid. I think that was a good move unless others blew them out of the water. Numbers surpassed the 50M/yr estimates by a quite a bit

From the article:

F1 has agreed to renew its rights deal with ESPN through 2025, sources told SBJ. The three-year deal still doesn’t have a signed contract, but the racing series told Amazon and Comcast executives on Friday that neither company's bid was going to be accepted. Sources say that ESPN has agreed to pay around $75-90M per year for the rights. Currently, ESPN pays in the neighborhood of $5M per year for the rights, having signed a 3-year/$15M deal in 2019.

F1 has agreed to renew its rights deal with ESPN through 2025, sources told SBJ. The three-year deal still doesn’t have a signed contract, but the racing series told Amazon and Comcast executives on Friday that neither company's bid was going to be accepted. Sources say that ESPN has agreed to pay around $75-90M per year for the rights. Currently, ESPN pays in the neighborhood of $5M per year for the rights, having signed a 3-year/$15M deal in 2019.

ESPN’s deal gives the media company flexibility to put a small, but undetermined number of races exclusively on its ESPN+ streaming service. Most races will be carried on linear television, either ABC or ESPN, sources said.

Sources said that Amazon put forth a higher bid -- said to be around $100M per year -- with the right to sublicense to a linear broadcast network. Comcast’s offer was similar to ESPN’s monetarily, sources said. Comcast’s offered would have put several of its races on its Peacock streaming service -- in addition to linear coverage on NBC and USA Network. Through its Sky subsidiary, Comcast is a big F1 partner outside of the U.S. Netflix had discussions with F1 and actually made an offer, but its bid wasn’t close on money. F1 executives made it clear that they were not ready to put all of its races on a streaming service yet.

People outside of the United States still think ESPN is the standard for sports TV in this country.

People outside of the United States still think ESPN is the standard for sports TV in this country.
ESPN is a shell of its former self. It used to be a go to station, like watching the evening news. I can't stand watching a baseball game on Sunday night, because often times the announcers are terrible. Their college game day is still pretty good though, but it will take a dive when Corso finally retires or passes away.

Listening to a podcast with Mandel and Auerbach from the Athletic yesterday and despite a lot of talk of Fox, CBS, NBC...it still seems more likely to be Fox/ESPN to split the B10 rights. I've thought the same and have said I think that's actually a good move. Only thing is I'd hope they could split off a game a week for CBS. NBC isn't necessary and AMZN isn't either if they're not bidding crazy money. If the B10 ever expanded nationally then sure maybe you can satisfy more partners but until then I think Fox/ESPN (possibly CBS) is the best avenue.

Listening to a podcast with Mandel and Auerbach from the Athletic yesterday and despite a lot of talk of Fox, CBS, NBC...it still seems more likely to be Fox/ESPN to split the B10 rights. I've thought the same and have said I think that's actually a good move. Only thing is I'd hope they could split off a game a week for CBS. NBC isn't necessary and AMZN isn't either if they're not bidding crazy money. If the B10 ever expanded nationally then sure maybe you can satisfy more partners but until then I think Fox/ESPN (possibly CBS) is the best avenue.
If the B1G stays with ESPN, then it's fighting the SEC and the ACC for airtime at 3:30 and primetime. If the B1G goes with NBC and CBS, they will see games in ideal timeslots. Exposure is key to expanding the product to a larger audience and being able to command more money. Plus, ESPN has made it known the SEC is its primary concern and anything else is secondary. The B1G doesn't play second fiddle to others.

IMO, if the B1G goes with ESPN then the B1G deserves to be screwed over by ESPN and the SEC.

It is no longer THE standard, but it is still very much A standard. Those who minimize its influence do so at their own peril.
The B10 can get away without ESPN if they chose not to but I stilll think it’s good to have a foot in that area. A smaller but growing sport like F1, I think is smart to stay on ESPN especially with more guarantees of being on ESPN and ABC.

Not sure if this has been commented on here, but Apple recently signed a $2.5 billion ten year deal with MLS and already has MLB Friday night games. I could easily see some games landing on Apple TV or Amazon Prime for the new deal.

We end up with the net amount after loan payback, but that does not mean we are not receiving a full share and it does not mean we are getting screwed, two concepts associated with this that people constantly misstate. It means that we took a loan out that we are now re-paying.
It’s ludicrous that people are whining about the amount we have to pay back from the advances we took. They’re implying we should just be forgiven the debt or maybe just reneg on it lol

Given that the SEC will soon be at 16 schools, do the current TV contract negotiations mean any pressure on the B1G to decide if it wants to add two schools? 16 is an easier number to work with than 14 in terms of scheduling. I'd like to see the B1G add UVa and UNC, and move to 4 "pods" for scheduling purposes in football. That way a team would play the other three members of its pod each year, plus two teams from each of the other 3 pods, one home and one away. That way, each school would play the 12 teams not in its own pod twice each in a four year cycle. The pod with RU could have UMd, UVa, and UNC, while OSU, Michigan, MSU, and PSU could be together in another pod to preserve rivalries. IU, Purdue, Illinois, and NW could be a third, with the western fringe schools - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska would be the forth.

Given that the SEC will soon be at 16 schools, do the current TV contract negotiations mean any pressure on the B1G to decide if it wants to add two schools? 16 is an easier number to work with than 14 in terms of scheduling. I'd like to see the B1G add UVa and UNC, and move to 4 "pods" for scheduling purposes in football. That way a team would play the other three members of its pod each year, plus two teams from each of the other 3 pods, one home and one away. That way, each school would play the 12 teams not in its own pod twice each in a four year cycle. The pod with RU could have UMd, UVa, and UNC, while OSU, Michigan, MSU, and PSU could be together in another pod to preserve rivalries. IU, Purdue, Illinois, and NW could be a third, with the western fringe schools - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska would be the forth.

UNC and VIrginia would be the best two teams to add, but I've always wanted to see Pitt and Syracuse added to the Big 10.

If the B1G stays with ESPN, then it's fighting the SEC and the ACC for airtime at 3:30 and primetime. If the B1G goes with NBC and CBS, they will see games in ideal timeslots. Exposure is key to expanding the product to a larger audience and being able to command more money. Plus, ESPN has made it known the SEC is its primary concern and anything else is secondary. The B1G doesn't play second fiddle to others.

IMO, if the B1G goes with ESPN then the B1G deserves to be screwed over by ESPN and the SEC.
What is the ideal time slot? The Big Ten crushed it with Big Noon Saturday. Winning the top rating many weeks

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not sure if this has been commented on here, but Apple recently signed a $2.5 billion ten year deal with MLS and already has MLB Friday night games. I could easily see some games landing on Apple TV or Amazon Prime for the new deal.
Yea I mentioned the MLS deal above. Here's a little excerpt of an interview from John Ourand. I don't follow MLS, but sounds like MLS hasn't been able to really grow their numbers despite being on the multiple media outlets. So if Apple comes in with an offer that blows traditional media out of the water, well then it doesn't seem like they're losing much in terms of viewership with a wider distribution and those that watch it will likely find it anyway and they'll get more money in the process.

I don't think Apple is a likely strong bidder for the B10. Amazon maybe and I have posted an article or reference to a podcast above that did mention Amazon came in with a big offer. Who knows if true or not. Friday night games for AMZN is the rumor and if the offer was big enough compared to traditional media then sure but streaming is always a supplement to me, wide distribution and exposure is still very important. It's why I still think keeping a foot in ESPN is a good idea as long as they're in the ballpark (3 broadcast networks is a nice alternative though). I also wonder how much inventory is there to chop up if you don't expand. Fox, ESPN and maybe a game to CBS but then you also have BTN. I don't know how feasible it is to chop it up more than that without added inventory through expansion.

What is the ideal time slot? The Big Ten crushed it with Big Noon Saturday. Winning the top rating many weeks
Big Noon has been very successful for the B10 and Fox. That strategy of turning that window into a prime one has paid off. Their pregame show can improve though. CGD is still quite a bit ahead. I thought UM was a a good studio analyst for Fox before he left and if they can get him back or someone like that it would be good. I would flip back and forth to watch UM segments. Stoops and Petersen weren't as good as studio analysts IMO.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Yea I mentioned the MLS deal above. Here's a little excerpt of an interview from John Ourand. I don't follow MLS, but sounds like MLS hasn't been able to really grow their numbers despite being on the multiple media outlets. So if Apple comes in with an offer that blows traditional media out of the water, well then it doesn't seem like they're losing much in terms of viewership with a wider distribution and those that watch it will likely find it anyway and they'll get more money in the process.

I don't think Apple is a likely strong bidder for the B10. Amazon maybe and I have posted an article or reference to a podcast above that did mention Amazon came in with a big offer. Who knows if true or not. Friday night games for AMZN is the rumor and if the offer was big enough compared to traditional media then sure but streaming is always a supplement to me, wide distribution and exposure is still very important. It's why I still think keeping a foot in ESPN is a good idea as long as they're in the ballpark (3 broadcast networks is a nice alternative though). I also wonder how much inventory is there to chop up if you don't expand. Fox, ESPN and maybe a game to CBS but then you also have BTN. I don't know how feasible it is to chop it up more than that without added inventory through expansion.
Whatever happens with the streaming services (not following closely, but is NBC/Peacock out of the picture), let's hope fans are not required to pay to subscribe to a third party service. Maybe us older people need to get with the times, but what is the point of paying for a full cable/streaming package in addition to broadband, and then, on top of it have to spend another $10-20/month to watch a few games on Apple or Peacock or wherever? As an example, the Mets game is on Peacock today and only available if you buy a subscription. Sure, a fan could fork over a $4.99 monthly fee and then cancel, but it is not worth the time/effort to watch one game.

Reactions: Leonard23
Noon on Fox is a home run, but filling the 3:30 CBS slot is a shot across the SEC/ESPN bow. That has been the ideal national time slot since CBS went all out to promote it. There has been a lot of hype for that slot to the point ABC and ESPN didn't tout quality games against that slot. ESPN went after the SEC because they could not beat CBS for the time slot. Now the B1G has a chance to slide right into it for more money and the hype machine CBS has created.

NBC wants the B1G so they create a super Saturday with ND. We all know how NBC hype ND the same way CBS hyped the SEC, and they want and need the B1G to take their Saturday programming to the next level. The B1G is the only other conference that can compete with the SEC for national appeal.

ESPN is great but free over-the-air networks still carry weight. The B1G would have 3 networks fighting to promote their version of the B1G as the game to see. Meanwhile, ESPN is trying to be the jack of college football and master of none. You can't please the SEC, the ACC, the Big 12, etc., and expect all to be happy. Someone will rock the boat.

Reactions: Leonard23
Whatever happens with the streaming services (not following closely, but is NBC/Peacock out of the picture), let's hope fans are not required to pay to subscribe to a third party service. Maybe us older people need to get with the times, but what is the point of paying for a full cable/streaming package in addition to broadband, and then, on top of it have to spend another $10-20/month to watch a few games on Apple or Peacock or wherever? As an example, the Mets game is on Peacock today and only available if you buy a subscription. Sure, a fan could fork over a $4.99 monthly fee and then cancel, but it is not worth the time/effort to watch one game.
Well theoretically NBC is still in the picture and if they are it's always possible they would want to put a game or 2 on Peacock. Even ESPN tries to moves some of the rights they acquire to ESPN+ if they have the leverage to do it. That's just the way it is now. Sucks yea but for me if it's on a streaming service I already have then fine but if not I'm not going out of my way to add one. I can do without whatever it is is. No content is earth shattering enough on its own to get me to add something I don't already have.

Well theoretically NBC is still in the picture and if they are it's always possible they would want to put a game or 2 on Peacock. Even ESPN tries to moves some of the rights they acquire to ESPN+ if they have the leverage to do it. That's just the way it is now. Sucks yea but for me if it's on a streaming service I already have then fine but if not I'm not going out of my way to add one. I can do without whatever it is is. No content is earth shattering enough on its own to get me to add something I don't already have.
To add to my point, while testing the Audacy App to listen to the Mets today, the financial program on 880 CBS was doing a segment on consumer spending and the fact that a survey showed many families subscribe to 24 different apps/streaming services. That's insane, but can see it.

Still have not figured out if the Audacy 880/AM app will be restricted to the NYC listening area for Rutgers games like Mets games are restricted. We usually travel/vacation during the RU away games, and hope the the games are still available on the wonky Scarlet Knights app if Audacy/880 AM is restricted like it is for the Mets.

Somewhat tangential news with conference tv deals on the horizon. B12 taking a page out of the PAC12 playbook and narrowing in on someone outside of athletics. Sounds like none of their finalists are inside the industry.

Reactions: Knight Shift
To add to my point, while testing the Audacy App to listen to the Mets today, the financial program on 880 CBS was doing a segment on consumer spending and the fact that a survey showed many families subscribe to 24 different apps/streaming services. That's insane, but can see it.

Still have not figured out if the Audacy 880/AM app will be restricted to the NYC listening area for Rutgers games like Mets games are restricted. We usually travel/vacation during the RU away games, and hope the the games are still available on the wonky Scarlet Knights app if Audacy/880 AM is restricted like it is for the Mets.
24 wow that's a lot. I have a handful of streaming and ring and I think that's a lot lol. I hate paying monthly fees so I try to avoid them. As a shareholder of a company I'd love it, as a customer no way lol.

Side note on the sports landscape: Read the USFL (which I didn't watch) is going to make it to its 2nd season. IIRC, I read it was the same number of teams but they may travel to more sites.

24 wow that's a lot. I have a handful of streaming and ring and I think that's a lot lol. I hate paying monthly fees so I try to avoid them. As a shareholder of a company I'd love it, as a customer no way lol.

Side note on the sports landscape: Read the USFL (which I didn't watch) is going to make it to its 2nd season. IIRC, I read it was the same number of teams but they may travel to more sites.
They traveled to other sites this year? Thought the plan was all games in Birmingham.

They traveled to other sites this year? Thought the plan was all games in Birmingham.
I didn't follow it but I think they were all played in Birmingham this year. So next year they might travel to a couple other sites for games I guess.

Also read 50% of ads sold for season 2 of the USFL. Sounds okay.

Subscriptions can get out of hand. We canceled Sirius/XM because we found that we really did not listen except in the car, and we are not in the car that much. We found a couple of stations that we can stream the type of music we like to listen to, or we just listen to FM radio. Even though we were only paying $5.99 per month, each of those subscriptions add up. Same thing with Peacock, Apple+ and other streaming services to watch the handful of Mets games that are exclusive to those streaming outlets. Add in Netflix, Ring, Apple Music, Amazon Prime and a few others, and you can easily be above $50/month and approaching $100/month.

Some people may think $100/month is not much, but over 10 years, if you save that money at 3% interest, that is $14,000, and over 20 years, that is $33,000. It all adds up.

I didn't follow it but I think they were all played in Birmingham this year. So next year they might travel to a couple other sites for games I guess.

Also read 50% of ads sold for season 2 of the USFL. Sounds okay.
The two playoff games and their championship game happened in Canton, OH.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Here we go...been saying since the OU/Texas move...not as far fetched and crazy as some might have thought.

Tangentially also with regards to Oregon. A couple programs spending like they are on NIL sound like good potential additions.

LOL

The B10 Blue Bloods didn't want RU and UMD in the conference because "Geography"

Now potentially there are 2 California teams coming on board?

Reactions: RW90
LOL

The B10 Blue Bloods didn't want RU and UMD in the conference because "Geography"

Now potentially there are 2 California teams coming on board?
It's not an ideal world, you have to operate in the world that exists as best you can. A national college football conference is an ultra premium sports property. lt could potentially include even ND in the future when the ACC GORs expire.

I still wonder if Oregon/Washington may not be included in the future too.

It's not done yet but again the probability was not nonexistent and had a decent chance like I'd been saying above and earlier during the OU/Texas news last year.

It's not an ideal world, you have to operate in the world that exists as best you can. A national college football conference is an ultra premium sports property. lt could potentially include even ND in the future when the ACC GORs expire.

I still wonder if Oregon/Washington may not be included in the future too.

It's not done yet but again the probability was not nonexistent and had a decent chance like I'd been saying above and earlier during the OU/Texas news last year.
I'd bet money that Oregon/Washington are next to the B1G. Stanford/Cal likely as well.

I'd bet money that Oregon/Washington are next to the B1G. Stanford/Cal likely as well.
Not sure about Stanford/Cal but I would think Oregon/Washington has a decent chance. I don't know how politics works with the Cali schools and how much influence it will have.

I would think Stanford would be a great addition to any conference

Are they going for 2 10 team divisions?

Wow - HUGE! The Big 10 will operate across three time zones!

I feel really bad for the Pac 12 - there is so much tradition within this conference. It makes sense that some other shoes drop - four other Pac 12 schools also move (Cal, Stanford, Oregon & Washington).

The Pac 12 leftovers pick over the top 6, 8 or 10 Mountain West schools. Maybe they even try to raid some Big 12 schools.

New conference pecking order is:

1. Big 10 (20)
2. SEC

3. ACC

4. Pac 12 (maybe)
5. Big 12

FWhThsnVUAEZG1I

I mentioned above Fox is often bold in their moves in sports right from their days of acquiring NFL rights. I said being the top media partner and majority holder of the BTN (60%) from their perspective it had to be extremely attractive for them to have a strong relationship with a national college sports conference, one that might include ND potentially. I think the PAC12 schools like USC/UCLA have to push the first domino but a Fox willing to be behind it makes it all go.

I mentioned above Fox is often bold in their moves in sports right from their days of acquiring NFL rights. I said being the top media partner and majority holder of the BTN (60%) from their perspective it had to be extremely attractive for them to have a strong relationship with a national college sports conference, one that might include ND potentially. I think the PAC12 schools like USC/UCLA have to push the first domino but a Fox willing to be behind it makes it all go.
4 B1G games on fox every Saturday.

4 B1G games on fox every Saturday.
I don't know about that but I've mentioned to have inventory that could satisfy Fox, ESPN, CBS, NBC, BTN and streaming you'd need expansion. I could see that as something for down the line. Warren is from the NFL but you need inventory to sell if you want to chop it up that much (like the NFL). Adding teams from the west as a first step and then the east next in a decade can accomplish that.

Reactions: RU85inFla
On the other front, I wonder if the B12 merges with PAC12 like Larry Scott wanted a decade ago (less appealing configuration obviously) or the ACC. I tend to think leftover B12/PAC12 is more likely than B12/ACC but we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT