ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten aims to have new media rights deal, worth up to $1 billion, in place around Memorial Day

I know its all about media rights and RU is the newcomer on the block, but how are rivalries going to possibly remain in place with 16+ team megaconferences?

As a sports fan, the fact certain FB bluebloods will now only come to town far more rarely will be somewhat a downer.

The B1G will be the first national conference. The B1G will no longer need ESPN if USC and UCLA join. Fox, CBS, and/or NBC & Prime can clean ESPN/SEC's clock.
Told you in the other thread, there was a decent chance of this happening. The B10 will use everyone, that's the beauty of this and continued expansion which I think will happen eventually. You have enough inventory to chop up among many partners...Fox, ESPN, CBS, NBC, BTN and streaming.

Warren is from the NFL and an expanded B10 that some day reaches 20-24 teams would be a mini NFL with inventory to split many ways.

I disagree.

No goalposts have been moved. You said he was above criticism and I disagreed with you. Then I criticized him for the one major decision he has had since he took over.

Nope, there was nothing he could do about Texas and Oklahoma. What he should be doing is moving heaven and earth to steal the four California Pac12 teams before the SEC comes for Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. I have heard nothing reflected in the media that suggests that is what he is doing.

I don't. He's a lightweight and an activist.

I guess I am. I never really thought about it, but he was the best commissioner in sports (pro or college) over the last 25 years.

Maybe he should actually do something first before we go patting him on the back?

At this point, the goal shouldn't be "more money per school." The goal should be creating a viable alternative to SEC SUPER CONFERENCE USA. Because if there is no viable alternative to SEC SUPER CONFERENCE USA, the Big Ten will have schools leave to join SEC SUPER CONFERENCE USA and I assure you there will be less money per school. And yes, Warren is unimpressive.

None of that involves managing an athletic club like the Big Ten. The Big Ten is a political league (like it or not) and picking Barry Alvarez or Gene Smith would have been 1000% better.

This is also the big leagues, you don't get to learn on the job here.
LOL:

Not saying anything wrong with Warren and never have but give him the same credit as Sankey for Texas/OU. Too much from the media saying how shrewd Sankey was etc...nah. He just picked up the phone and was smart enough to say yes when Texas/OU wanted to leave. Same for Warren. I said above this will likely be initiated by USC just like it was by Texas. Tweets from reporters have said as much and that it was initiated by the west coast schools. When that happens just make sure it gets done and you've done your job.

I mean even me Joe Nobody idiot gamed how this could play out last summer when Texas/OU left and how a national B10 conference should be the play to make in response to create an ultra premium sports property and it could potentially net you ND in the process in a decade. A year later part of that is happening and the other part seems possible. I'm no genius and so I give credit to them for doing their jobs and getting it done and leave it at that.

I mentioned above Fox is often bold in their moves in sports right from their days of acquiring NFL rights. I said being the top media partner and majority holder of the BTN (60%) from their perspective it had to be extremely attractive for them to have a strong relationship with a national college sports conference, one that might include ND potentially. I think the PAC12 schools like USC/UCLA have to push the first domino but a Fox willing to be behind it makes it all go.
51%

No it's 60%. They upped their stake within the last year IIRC and maybe even have an option for more but not as sure of that.

edit: it's actually 61%...just did a quick lookup...it was in the 10K for Fox and that's how the news got out

Your board name explains everything - you write like you are an insider - clearly you are not.
Oh hey -- who's the user that predicted Pac12 would be jumping ship to b1G for the last year. Oh yeah, this guy.

Some of us are more connected than others...

Oh wow Apple back in play after being not thought of as real contender. Pump up those numbers Tim lol.

USC, UCLA will bring more media money to the Big Ten​

Soon after the news about USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten broke, an Apple exec called the conference with a simple message: It wanted to reengage in media-rights talks, report SBJ's John Ourand and Michael Smith. That call was emblematic of a chaotic day where media companies that had spent months finalizing how much they would pay for Big Ten rights were rushing back to the drawing board to see how the addition of two high-profile schools would change their bidding strategy.

It seems certain that negotiations now will extend into August and may be completed after Labor Day. Originally, the Big Ten had been planning to wrap up its rights negotiations at some point in July. The Big Ten was expected to be the first college conference to eclipse $1 billion in media-rights fees annually -- and that was before USC and UCLA said they would join. The Big Ten presidents officially voted to add the two schools tonight.

Fox Sports already had reached a deal to carry at least half of the conference’s package, and CBS was viewed as a front-runner to take at least a package of Saturday football games in the 3:30pm ET window. That left Amazon, ESPN and NBC competing for a third package. As late as this morning, Apple and Warner Bros. Discovery were not viewed as credible bidders. That could all change.

Last edited:
You know seeing that Apple is back in play makes me wonder if maybe they were looking to get into the PAC 12 rights and now that has gone up in smoke.

How Warren incorporates all these avenues streaming and linear and maximizes distribution and dollars is where he can show how good he is. It’s gonna be big obviously but just how big he can get it is the question.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not saying anything wrong with Warren and never have but give him the same credit as Sankey for Texas/OU. Too much from the media saying how shrewd Sankey was etc...nah. He just picked up the phone and was smart enough to say yes when Texas/OU wanted to leave. Same for Warren. I said above this will likely be initiated by USC just like it was by Texas. Tweets from reporters have said as much and that it was initiated by the west coast schools. When that happens just make sure it gets done and you've done your job.

I mean even me Joe Nobody idiot gamed how this could play out last summer when Texas/OU left and how a national B10 conference should be the play to make in response to create an ultra premium sports property and it could potentially net you ND in the process in a decade. A year later part of that is happening and the other part seems possible. I'm no genius and so I give credit to them for doing their jobs and getting it done and leave it at that.
Delany brings small potatoes RU and Maryland. Warren brings home the bacon with UCLA and USC!!!!

I generally don't like to make people eat crow, but the number of people who kept crapping on Warren should get a healthy serving.
What I'm seeing is the west coast teams reaching out. What is his brilliance? Saying yes? Don't think crow is on the menu tonight.
I'm not pro or con on Warren. Don't know enough about him to judge. Just don't think he's driving this.Market forces @ work.

Expansion doesn't change this because USC and UCLA asked to join not the other way around. Also I don't consider this a good move with how crazy the Cal legislature is. Will be a burden/handicap down the road.
So do you put the SEC commish in the same boat as Warren since did the same with UT and OU? We want to join the SEC. Ok, we accept you.

What people failed to remember is Warren convinced the ACC and Pac 12 to block ESPN from renewing the CFP so it could go to the open market. That wasn't the commissioners of any other conference pushing that except Warren. Now the B1G is in the position the SEC was a few months ago.

So do you put the SEC commish in the same boat as Warren since did the same with UT and OU? We want to join the SEC. Ok, we accept you.

What people failed to remember is Warren convinced the ACC and Pac 12 to block ESPN from renewing the CFP so it could go to the open market. That wasn't the commissioners of any other conference pushing that except Warren. Now the B1G is in the position the SEC was a few months ago.
Well actually Phillips from the ACC was the one most staunchly opposed for it and wanting to look at college athletics as a whole before looking at the playoffs Warren wanted auto qualifiers for conf champs so he held it up and Kliavkoff would have gone with along with any idea but since it wasn't going to be approved anyway just went along with his other 2 alliance partners.

I still don't think it was the right move to stop playoff expansion because you could have had the early round games go to other networks outside of ESPN and had all the inventory of all the playoffs come to bid again in 2025-26 to all the networks. Estimates had it at 400M/yr lost...would've been nice now for the PAC12/ACC to have some extra money. Don't think that would have changed anything that happened yesterday but the ACC/PAC12 would have been inside the top 6 conferences through the next playoff contract. I mean now the B10/SEC control how the new playoffs will look and who knows what they will like and how fair it will be compared to the model that was proposed which I thought was very fair to everyone.

This is what I've kind of said with the streaming thing. I've always seen it as a supplement not an exclusive thing. Maybe Friday night game exclusively if the numbers blew others out of the water but still even that I don't know. Simultaneous streaming alongside linear tv for sure but exclusive stream and no linear tv? Hmmmm...don't know. Wide distribution is always a big priority. Ideally find some way to marry the two at present and be ready for transition towards more streaming 20-40 years down the line.

Well actually Phillips from the ACC was the one most staunchly opposed for it and wanting to look at college athletics as a whole before looking at the playoffs Warren wanted auto qualifiers for conf champs so he held it up and Kliavkoff would have gone with along with any idea but since it wasn't going to be approved anyway just went along with his other 2 alliance partners.

I still don't think it was the right move to stop playoff expansion because you could have had the early round games go to other networks outside of ESPN and had all the inventory of all the playoffs come to bid again in 2025-26 to all the networks. Estimates had it at 400M/yr lost...would've been nice now for the PAC12/ACC to have some extra money. Don't think that would have changed anything that happened yesterday but the ACC/PAC12 would have been inside the top 6 conferences through the next playoff contract. I mean now the B10/SEC control how the new playoffs will look and who knows what they will like and how fair it will be compared to the model that was proposed which I thought was very fair to everyone.
Not sure why you said Warren did take a stand against it:
Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren Releases Statement on Failed CFP Expansion
Prior to Friday‘s meeting and subsequent vote, Warren had been among the conference leaders opposed to the proposed changes. However, he explained that he remains in favor of an eventual expansion, once the leagues resolve any outstanding issues.

Few outside the SEC and Big 12 wanted an expanded playoff with ESPN controlling the TV rights. If ESPN won the rights, it meant more SEC teams in the expanded playoff at the expense of other power conferences. Why would the other conferences leave more money on the table while losing a seat at the playoff table?

It's wishful to think ESPN was going to share an early-round game with another network. ESPN had no intention of sharing the CFP with other networks. The exclusive window for ESPN to negotiate was to lock up the CFP for good and block any network or conference that did not bow to them. If you remember anything, ESPN is all about self and will destroy anything that stands its way. Just ask Big East football how ESPN didn't want to pay for the product after the conference showed it was a peer of the other power conferences at the time. Instead, ESPN advised the ACC on how to kill off the league and advance the cause for both. The previous Big 12 conference sent letters to ESPN to stop interfering with the conference's survival as ESPN.

I might be in the minority, but SEC is now a step behind the B1G. What the B1G did with stopping CFP from being exclusively on ESPN, to USC & UCLA joining, to the most extensive media deal across multiple platforms is checkmate to other conferences hoping to stay in the game. The SEC is concerned in a big way. LSU HC mentioned the SEC commish discussed the possibility of an SEC playoff since ESPN is losing its grip on the CFP and will have limited influence on the playoff selection committee under the new deal.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not sure why you said Warren did take a stand against it:
Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren Releases Statement on Failed CFP Expansion

Few outside the SEC and Big 12 wanted an expanded playoff with ESPN controlling the TV rights. If ESPN won the rights, it meant more SEC teams in the expanded playoff at the expense of other power conferences. Why would the other conferences leave more money on the table while losing a seat at the playoff table?

It's wishful to think ESPN was going to share an early-round game with another network. ESPN had no intention of sharing the CFP with other networks. The exclusive window for ESPN to negotiate was to lock up the CFP for good and block any network or conference that did not bow to them. If you remember anything, ESPN is all about self and will destroy anything that stands its way. Just ask Big East football how ESPN didn't want to pay for the product after the conference showed it was a peer of the other power conferences at the time. Instead, ESPN advised the ACC on how to kill off the league and advance the cause for both. The previous Big 12 conference sent letters to ESPN to stop interfering with the conference's survival as ESPN.

I might be in the minority, but SEC is now a step behind the B1G. What the B1G did with stopping CFP from being exclusively on ESPN, to USC & UCLA joining, to the most extensive media deal across multiple platforms is checkmate to other conferences hoping to stay in the game. The SEC is concerned in a big way. LSU HC mentioned the SEC commish discussed the possibility of an SEC playoff since ESPN is losing its grip on the CFP and will have limited influence on the playoff selection committee under the new deal.
I'm not sure what you mean. Warren did vote against expansion because he wanted auto bids for conference champs not just top 6 conf champs (even though most years it lead to the same result). There will be expansion this next go and it won't take a unanimous vote and the B10 and SEC will control how it looks and it may not be as fair as this last proposal which I thought was very fair to everyone. That may be unfortunate for the ACC, PAC12 who voted against the last one.

As to ESPN sharing the early round games, it had nothing to do with ESPN sharing that's the point. The early round games would have been new inventory and outside of their control. Only the rounds of the playoffs that included the NYD games like the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach etc..would have been under their umbrella. The early round games which would have taken place on the college campuses or regional sites would have been out for bid to all the networks and likely would have been granted to anyone besides ESPN. It would have only been for a few years and then the total playoff package would have been out for bid in 2025-26 just like it will be now.

Father pro football player. Doesn't matter.
President of Fiesta bowl. Doesn't matter. (Wonder if he was involved in their fraud scandal?)
MBA. LOL (I consider this a negative)
Played College basketball. Doesn't matter.
Sports Law. Doesn't matter.
Sports Agent. Doesn't matter.

None of that involves managing an athletic club like the Big Ten. The Big Ten is a political league (like it or not) and picking Barry Alvarez or Gene Smith would have been 1000% better.

This is also the big leagues, you don't get to learn on the job here.
Change your mind on this, Nick?

Reactions: needmorecowbell
If the B1G stays with ESPN, then it's fighting the SEC and the ACC for airtime at 3:30 and primetime. If the B1G goes with NBC and CBS, they will see games in ideal timeslots. Exposure is key to expanding the product to a larger audience and being able to command more money. Plus, ESPN has made it known the SEC is its primary concern and anything else is secondary. The B1G doesn't play second fiddle to others.

IMO, if the B1G goes with ESPN then the B1G deserves to be screwed over by ESPN and the SEC.
Word.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
No it's 60%. They upped their stake within the last year IIRC and maybe even have an option for more but not as sure of that.

edit: it's actually 61%...just did a quick lookup...it was in the 10K for Fox and that's how the news got out
thanks for the correct info update Wikipedia tripped me up

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I'm not sure what you mean. Warren did vote against expansion because he wanted auto bids for conference champs not just top 6 conf champs (even though most years it lead to the same result). There will be expansion this next go and it won't take a unanimous vote and the B10 and SEC will control how it looks and it may not be as fair as this last proposal which I thought was very fair to everyone. That may be unfortunate for the ACC, PAC12 who voted against the last one.

As to ESPN sharing the early round games, it had nothing to do with ESPN sharing that's the point. The early round games would have been new inventory and outside of their control. Only the rounds of the playoffs that included the NYD games like the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach etc..would have been under their umbrella. The early round games which would have taken place on the college campuses or regional sites would have been out for bid to all the networks and likely would have been granted to anyone besides ESPN. It would have only been for a few years and then the total playoff package would have been out for bid in 2025-26 just like it will be now.
The article I posted said something different. Warren wanted expansion, but not the way ESPN was going about it. It wasn't in the best interest of the B1G. Why would Warren let ESPN (& SEC) hold all the cards? His statement was calculated to show support for expansion, but not until the CFP went out for bid from several networks besides ESPN. It says that much in the article, so why are you thinking otherwise?

Anything with ESPN is NOT good for the future of college sports. Perhaps you'll stop including ESPN in the equation when you realize that. You would have seen past ESPN digs at controlling the narrative if you paid attention. The Big East football conference went bye-bye. The Big 12 complained about tampering by ESPN in an attempt to minimize the conference's value and influence. How about ESPN getting the SEC from CBS even though there were a few years left on the deal. Last, ESPN has tried to limit B1G exposure on their platform out of hate for not signing a bigger contract with the network. The other networks will not play ball with ESPN just for a few crumbs. Wait them out while having the support of the other power conferences to go and get the entire CFP package.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The article I posted said something different. Warren wanted expansion, but not the way ESPN was going about it. It wasn't in the best interest of the B1G. Why would Warren let ESPN (& SEC) hold all the cards? His statement was calculated to show support for expansion, but not until the CFP went out for bid from several networks besides ESPN. It says that much in the article, so why are you thinking otherwise?

Anything with ESPN is NOT good for the future of college sports. Perhaps you'll stop including ESPN in the equation when you realize that. You would have seen past ESPN digs at controlling the narrative if you paid attention. The Big East football conference went bye-bye. The Big 12 complained about tampering by ESPN in an attempt to minimize the conference's value and influence. How about ESPN getting the SEC from CBS even though there were a few years left on the deal. Last, ESPN has tried to limit B1G exposure on their platform out of hate for not signing a bigger contract with the network. The other networks will not play ball with ESPN just for a few crumbs. Wait them out while having the support of the other power conferences to go and get the entire CFP package.
I've posted articles about it in the past and I don't want to go back and dig them up with regards to Warren and AQs for champs and the early round playoffs. Early round games outside of the NYD bowls (meaning the ones on campuses/regional sites) would have been new inventory and could have been awarded to any network. That's the point and if you want to view it as a few crumbs what does it matter. It's a few crumbs until it all comes up for bid 2025-26, it's better than nothing for those other networks. Nothing would have changed. The whole expanded package would have still come up for bid in 2025-26. You lose nothing and for the schools it would have been an estimated 400M/yr for a few years and for the other networks a small toe into the playoffs with a chance for more in a few years. The time table and anything that is going to happen now is exactly what would have happened then but just with few extra playoff games on networks likely not named ESPN broadcasting them until 2025-26 when it all came out for bid to everyone.

ESPN is a player in sports, that's just the facts and will likely be a fact for a long time to come. You deal with the facts as they are. I wouldn't be so sure that they would be marginalized if they ever did get spun off from Disney too. Like I mentioned above, I could see some deep pocketed tech company swallowing them up and rolling it into its streaming service if that ever happened. So they would still exist as a top player in that form as well. I'm not a fan of ESPN since the breaking up the BE but that's not the point. CGD is about the only show outside of an actual sport I watch on it. The world is what it is and I deal with and prognosticate about things that exist not what I like or don't like.

edit: Also very unlikely anyone will get the whole playoff package, including ESPN. Like I've been saying whether it's regular season or post season follow the NFL blue print and split your inventory among the networks.. It creates a virtuous cycle for everything the more players involved.

Last edited:
How about this for a playoff which I heard on a podcast but would hurt anyone outside of the P2. I would wonder about the politics of it though. The B10/SEC basically become like the NFC/AFC in the NFL and have their playoffs internally and then the champs of each play each other for the national championship. I don't know if I could rule out that kind of scenario in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT