ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Team or Beating PSU

Which would you prefer

• Going to a Bowl Game

• Beating PSU

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think I will just go with beat PSU and get to a bowl- I kind of just give up on this one. I'll leave it to the experts

Let's just beat VaTech today and enjoy life

Sorry to break this to you, but I was PERSONALLY recruited to play college athletics at Rutgers and other schools (lacrosse). I have been a lacrosse coach after the fact for years as well and have been actively involved in helping players get recruited. I’m extremely aware of the recruiting process

I don’t doubt this. What’s inconsistent are your relative views of what Schiano needs to do to show progress at Rutgers (for recruit perception or otherwise) vs your vision of success for other coaches against far weaker competition.

Beat the pedophiles! I wouldn’t have minded being 1-11 with the only win against Ped State
Ehh, I hate sitting in the stadium and losing so for me 6-6 with a chance to go 7-6 trumps just one win. It would show tangible significant progress something they can now sell to potential recruits and transfers. Try selling we were 3-9, but we beat psu come here. That's called a tough sell. With Rutgers recent history, it'll be viewed as a fluke, by the media, recruits, transfers and the football viewing audience.

Ehh, I hate sitting in the stadium and losing so for me 6-6 with a chance to go 7-6 trumps just one win. It would show tangible significant progress something they can now sell to potential recruits and transfers. Try selling we were 3-9, but we beat psu come here. That's called a tough sell. With Rutgers recent history, it'll be viewed as a fluke, by the media, recruits, transfers and the football viewing audience.
Agree 100% bowl is about program and a single win is fleeting and really doesn’t move the needle.

Reactions: koleszar
Wrong- beating Penn.St on their field and ruining their season would get a lot more publicity than going to some small time bowl game.
Too many fans are looking at it as fans and yes- that game would get more publicity. But, a single game really means nothing to a recruit and program.
Let's take 2005. Let's say either a PSU or Miami was on that schedule and we beat them at their stadium but ended 2005 with 5 wins and no bowl. Vs what happened and we went to the bowl.

Was going to the bowl in 2005 more important than if we won a news worthy game but not go to a bowl?

For just pure fan enjoyment- I agree that winning that game at Happy Valley and keeping PSU out of the playoffs would feel so much better than a 6 win PS Bowl. But for long term program building- the bowl would be so much more important.

Reactions: koleszar
Wrong- beating Penn.St on their field and ruining their season would get a lot more publicity than going to some small time bowl game.
Wouldn't do jacksh*t for moving the program forward. It would be viewed as a fluke by recruits and transfers. Because that's all the media and those around them would tell them, you can't sell a fluke. Now a bowl and tangible progress, would be a big sell. Especially with Schiano at the helm, it's now here look, I've done it once before here and I'm going to do it again. You'd get a myriad of press with a bowl game as well, all speculating if Schiano is working his magic at Rutgers one more time.

Heck, I hope PSU loses to Iowa this Saturday.

This thread is turning into the equivalent of, "Yes you are", "No I'm not."

Wouldn't do jacksh*t for moving the program forward. It would be viewed as a fluke by recruits and transfers. Because that's all the media and those around them would tell them, you can't sell a fluke. Now a bowl and tangible progress, would be a big sell. Especially with Schiano at the helm, it's now here look, I've done it once before here and I'm going to do it again. You'd get a myriad of press with a bowl game as well, all speculating if Schiano is working his magic at Rutgers one more time.
Kol- if I remember correctly- you did play D1 football or am I confused on that? Would also love @cubuffsdoug take as well.

Kol- if I remember correctly- you did play D1 football or am I confused on that? Would also love @cubuffsdoug take as well.
No not D1, lower level. Not tall enough, but strong like bull, with good technique and pissed off at the world attitude. Played center since third grade and went to every lineman camp there was back then. Kids went on vacation I went to football camp, just loved the game. But bigtime football wasn't in God's plans for me. It's why I always defend our Oline when it's someone else's fault, it's a thankless job.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Tell you guys what - I’d much rather the win at the Big House next week no matter what other outcomes follow.

Koleszar is right. Recruits may think it's a fluke. I would instead go bowling because that shows recruits the program's growth. Once you establish a winning culture, recruits will come, and now beating State Penn is more likely and often.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT