ADVERTISEMENT

BTN: Who makes your Rutgers basketball Mount Rushmore?

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
Who gets your vote for the best player in Rutgers basketball history? We came up with a list of 12 former Scarlet Knight greats, and now it’s your job to rank them!

Read each player’s bio below, then scroll down and rank them, 1-12. The results of this fan survey will be announced on TV’s “BTN Live” in February.

http://btn.com/2016/01/24/who-makes-your-rutgers-basketball-mount-rushmore/

Top 3 aren't really debatable but I'm sure a lot will argue who is #4. Do you put Hughes who was conference player of year on NCAA team #4 but only played 2 years? Do guys like Jordan, Copeland, and Dabney get overshadowed by talented teammates? Hinson was the man on the last RU team to win an NCAA game and was a 4 year player he's my #4. Didn't factor in post-RU pro career but that would help Roy too. The '70's guys are before my time but interested in how others ranked these guys. Hard to figure where to put in a guy like Douby who was never on a real winner but his scoring in the Big East his last year was ridiculous. The BTN asks to rate 1-12.
  1. Bob Lloyd
  2. Phil Sellers
  3. James Bailey
  4. Roy Hinson
  5. Keith Hughes
  6. Eddie Jordan
  7. Quincy Douby
  8. Hollis Copeland
  9. Mike Dabney
  10. John Battle
  11. Kelvin Troy
  12. Tom Savage

Reactions: PeterN
  1. Bob Lloyd
  2. Phil Sellers
  3. James Bailey
  4. Roy Hinson
  5. Keith Hughes
  6. Eddie Jordan
  7. Quincy Douby
  8. Mike Dabney
  9. John Battle
  10. Hollis Copeland
  11. Kelvin Troy
  12. Tom Savage
mine is similar to yours Colonel. I think though if they were to put the actually faces on there Eddie would get it over Keith Hughes because Hughes was only here for 2...there hasn't been a player as good as hime in 25 years...how freakin sad is that. Maybe I would put the top 4 on Rushmore and then add Tom Young

I do not think Tom Savage should even be on this list. I would put Geoff Billet or even Rob Hodgson before Savage even though RU didn't go to the dance with either

Reactions: JQRU91
Good list but I might add Eric Riggins over Savage also.

I would have to put Sellers number one because he was the go to scorer that led Rutgers to a undefeated season and the only appearance in a NCAA Final 4.His performance against St. Johns down the stretch of that game was remarkable .

Bob Greacen and a over-achieving point guard by the name of Jim Valvano need to be on the list.

I saw this last year. Funny because Big ten picked it and 4 out of our top ten were not heavily recruited. They had Sellers, Lloyd, Bailey, Douby and Hinson as top 5. Jordan was number 6 followed by Battle. Was not Mount Rushmore but they picked our top ten.

Green fig, you missed Battle? He was ahead of Pearl by two years. Pearl Washington got all of the attention. Two years in NBA for Pearl and battle played I believe 9 years in NBA.

I loved Savage but he only played one season start to finish. He became eligible for 2nd semester in Littlepage's last year, was the go to guy in Wenzel's 1st year that won the conference tournament but then was a bit player while flunking out twice, a feat equaled only by Andre Lamoureaux.

Reactions: shields
Clearly Savage made it based on hanging an NCAA banner. Worthy, Riggins, Hodgson, Billet, Valvano, and Greacen never went to the NCAA so they got overshadowed. Savage is probably the only guy you can make an argument doesn't belong in the Top 12. The only guy on the list that didn't go to the NCAA tournament on the list is Lloyd. In today's college basketball world all that matters is March Madness to most.

Green fig, you missed Battle? He was ahead of Pearl by two years. Pearl Washington got all of the attention. Two years in NBA for Pearl and battle played I believe 9 years in NBA.

I remember pearl Washington! Loved Big East basketball.

Started at ru in 1989. Honestly RUtgers wasn't even a thought in my brain growing up.

I loved Savage but he only played one season start to finish. He became eligible for 2nd semester in Littlepage's last year, was the go to guy in Wenzel's 1st year that won the conference tournament but then was a bit player while flunking out twice, a feat equaled only by Andre Lamoureaux.

Hey watch it.

I live 1 mile from Los Al HS.

MO

Paul Robeson

Robeson: Valedictorian, Phi Beta Kappa, Lettered in F O U R Sports and was All American in Football. We'll never see anything like that in any of our lifetimes...even if you're Hindu!

I think RU should reconsider its position on lettering in more than one sport....we might as well let some of the baseball, basketball / foobtaller's play on OUR side instead of against us.

MO

Reactions: mikefla
Savage also almost single handedly broke our losing streak under Littlepage. Playing PSU at the RAC, he took over with about five minutes left and took it to the Nits. Would have been interesting to see what Tom Young could have done with Savage. Young's players always got better as the season went on. Best thing that happened to Savage under Littlepage is that he became eligible 2nd semester as someone mentioned (xfer from Virginia Tech). Gave 'Page less time to ruin his game. On the flip side. What would Battle have become under Littlepage?

Agree that Riggins should be in the mix. We could use a guy like him on today's team.

I would have to put Sellers number one because he was the go to scorer that led Rutgers to a undefeated season and the only appearance in a NCAA Final 4.His performance against St. Johns down the stretch of that game was remarkable .

Sellers is easily Number 1 in my book over Bob Lloyd.

Greacen is also Top Ten as I saw him play in person. Don't dismiss him for not going to the NCAA's. His senior year he led RU to a 21-4 record and we didn't get an invitation.

Don't forget when Greacen played at RU only 23 teams got selected for the NCAA. Just think about that for a moment. It was really tough to make the NCAA Tournament at that time. Only the winner of the major conferences got selected. A team could have been rated #1 all season and lost in their league tournament and they would have had to go to the NIT. Only one team from each league got selected not like the 8 or more that some leagues get today.

Think about 1974. Maryland and NC State played a 103-100 game that I think went to overtime. Two great teams and only one made the tournament. John Lucas on Maryland and the great David Thompson on State.

If ole blue eyes (Frank Sinatra for the youngins) was still around, I sure his vote would be (cue the drum roll):
Doubly, Douby do!

PS - EJ isn't even #1 on this list. Ouch!

Graecen was the first pick in the second round of the draft, taken by Milwaukee after Alcindor. Unfortunately for him they also drafted Bobby Dandridge. Was the only guy on the team that could dunk.

Think about 1974. Maryland and NC State played a 103-100 game that I think went to overtime. Two great teams and only one made the tournament. John Lucas on Maryland and the great David Thompson on State.
Shields, one of the best games of all time!!!

Top 3 aren't really debatable but I'm sure a lot will argue who is #4. Do you put Hughes who was conference player of year on NCAA team #4 but only played 2 years? Do guys like Jordan, Copeland, and Dabney get overshadowed by talented teammates? Hinson was the man on the last RU team to win an NCAA game and was a 4 year player he's my #4. Didn't factor in post-RU pro career but that would help Roy too. The '70's guys are before my time but interested in how others ranked these guys. Hard to figure where to put in a guy like Douby who was never on a real winner but his scoring in the Big East his last year was ridiculous. The BTN asks to rate 1-12.
  1. Bob Lloyd
  2. Phil Sellers
  3. James Bailey
  4. Roy Hinson
  5. Keith Hughes
  6. Eddie Jordan
  7. Quincy Douby
  8. Hollis Copeland
  9. Mike Dabney
  10. John Battle
  11. Kelvin Troy
  12. Tom Savage

Who starts?
Lloyd (a shooter / scorer....deadly from 3 point range: there was no 3 when Lloyd played or he would have scored 3,000+); Jordan (point/ distributor); Sellers (a beast on the boards, scorer and TOUGH D); Bailey (bounds like a Mutha); Hinson (would be used when we play against taller teams) or Douby when we need a little extra on from the kick out.

Also lose Savage and insert Jimmy V....another point who could score / distribute.

Assume all were in the prime (their best years in college). How do you think this team would stack up against today's B1G? The ACC?

I'd see them as final 4....with a chance to win it all.

MO

This is obvious

1. ) Phil sellers
2.) James Bailey
3.) Bob Lloyd
4.) Mile Dabney

Next four
5.) Roy Hinson
6.) Eddie Jordan
7.) Hollis copeland
8.) John's Battle

Reactions: MrWise
Sellers is numero uno
Bailey is a close number 2

the rest you can "battle" it out among yourselves

That was a mistake about Copeland, played on Nit team that lost to Texas.

Savage not getting enough love. Brought us back to respectability. Top 4 or 5 no way but easily in the top 10-12 conversation.

I thought Kelvin Troy was the Sports Illustrated defensive Player of the Year 1 season..no?

I cant beat the OPs original list

But I have some unsung heroes like Rashod Kent coming off the bench.....Jimmy V....

I think our BEST years are to come....seriously....

Robeson: Valedictorian, Phi Beta Kappa, Lettered in F O U R Sports and was All American in Football. We'll never see anything like that in any of our lifetimes...even if you're Hindu!

I think RU should reconsider its position on lettering in more than one sport....we might as well let some of the baseball, basketball / foobtaller's play on OUR side instead of against us.

MO
Good point.

I had the honor of meeting most of his family in London at a fete honoring him at Royal Festival Hall.
I was PROUD to see a yearbook and a block varsity R in the mix....

I wish we would feature him more promenently in our history....there will never be another Paul Robeson

I'll be controversial:

Player A: 33G/46.2% FG/84.7% FT/25.4 ppg/4.3 rpg/3.1 apg/58 steals

Player B: 29G/47.9% FG/92.1% FT/27.9 ppg/3.3 rpg

Player A is Douby's Junior year. Player B is Bob Lloyd's Senior year.

I am too young to have seen Lloyd play or any of the '76 team for that matter, but Douby's Junior year was unbelievably impressive. Douby's 839 points in '05-'06 is Rutgers single season scoring record. QD stays his Senior year and I think he breaks Sellers career scoring record at RU (QD is 709 points short of Sellers). In '05-'06 Douby led the Big East in scoring by 5 points per game. The difference between #2 (Randy Foye) and #14 (Donnie McGrath) was also 5 points per game.

Douby is the best player I have seen at RU (graduated in '90). In my opinion too many fans were focused on gary that year and didn't properly enjoy the spectacular year Douby had. Factor in competition (Big East was good), his amazing Junior season (single game Carrier Dome scoring record),and his performance on our NIT Finals team as a frosh, etc and I am taking Douby #2. He's on my Rushmore.

As an aside 1st Team All-American in '66-67: Lew Alcindor, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Bob Lloyd, Clem Haskins, Jimmy Walker, Bob Verga

1. Sellers
2. Douby
3. Lloyd
4. Bailey

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT