ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati & UConn frontrunners for Big XII expansion per article

Marshall and WVU aren't rivals.

They are potential Rivals and like RU and PSU I'm willing to bet Marshall currently wants to put WVU on schedule and considers them a rival while WVU doesn't acknowledge Marshalls existence. Sounds like the Big Brother syndrome that could lead to a nasty rivalry

My guess would be unlike the B1G they would try to split up powers so Baylor in one division and TCU in the other.
Also just don't understand why Marshall wouldn't be looked at here...Natural rivalry with WVA and could build trophy game with Cincy. Logistically in cuts down on the excess travel that WVA currently (and Cincy would have if chosen) since conference already spread westward. Bringing in UConn would be extremely costly in travel (Especially for UConn). Just seems like a logistics nightmare. If not Marshall even a Florida school would be better fit and give the conference brand recognition in the Sunshine state.
2 teams from West Virginia? The big 12 is looking to increase their TV footprint - that's not the way

Uconn football does not belong in the Power 5. There is zero evidence to support it, and don't tell me an 8-4 unranked Uconn team that got slaughtered in the Fiesta Bowl spurning the end of the Big East makes them a better program than us.

The B12 has a problem because WVU is a geographic outlier, and they are going to do an expansion that adds a travel partner for WVU and creates a NEW geographic outlier in UConn?

This is the point missed by the WVU author.

Some people are so stupid...Rutgers made the B1G tens of millions of dollars before the paint was dry on the B1G logo on the field. UConn wasn't going to do that. Plus they desperately wanted the NJ high schools to be in B1G country-Connecticut gives them virtually zero top players. If you don't think that was a factor guess who has the next best set of HS programs in the NE after NJ and PA.......Maryland...
Interesting view but now flip it to Florida school UCF or USF and you can see this move is a better choice then UCan't as we know WVU needs a Cincinnati as a island partner. BUT as stated many time U Can't create another island and look at their Football facilities and their cut of the FB market in Metro NYC =NILL
But take a Flordia school and you got Maxi market share and the BIG12 does want Florida kids more them NYC metro kids
Here I will state Cincinnati is a good fit to help WVU and Ohio recruiting help a bit along with a small bump in TV eyeballs. But UConn at best has a 1/3 chance but in close examination (outside of this WVU bias article) I give UCF and/or USF an 70-85% chance of getting a bid to the Big12 over Ucan't
Florida market both TVs and recruits
BTW the Big12 brass are all southern-centric and it is easier to look at Florida then Connecticut<<< human nature

Although they don't want to add another Texas school, Houston still makes the most sense to add. They are the most ready school to add in the mix after Cincinnati. BYU still doesn't seem right and UCONN/UCF just don't work geographically.

Although they don't want to add another Texas school, Houston still makes the most sense to add. They are the most ready school to add in the mix after Cincinnati. BYU still doesn't seem right and UCONN/UCF just don't work geographically.
agree....but the OU/KU faction refuse ANY MORE Texas saturation and its their threat of leaving the conference behind this forced latest round of CR more than anything outside of network....UT hates the thought of rolling the LHN into a B12N......Texas was/is pushing Houston as Texas politics are behind that move....somethings got to give...WVU needs at least 2 partners here in the east....stay tuned..lol..

Once the writer threw in the 'BCS' remark I stopped caring. It was the equivalent of someone choosing a RB who once ran for 200 yards in a game but averaged 70 ypg for the next 5 years over a RB who consistently averaged 110 ypg over that same timespan.

Joe P.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Simple: get UConn to join the B1G.
no-god-o.gif

UConn joining the Big 12 would be suicide for that conference. Same with Cincy. This has to be some contingency plan for when Oklahoma and Texas leave.

Reactions: LC-88 and RURod
UConn joining the Big 12 would be suicide for that conference. Same with Cincy. This has to be some contingency plan for when Oklahoma and Texas leave.
Agree as to UConn. It is not going to happen, the ACC passed on UConn, the B1G passed on UConn, and now the Big 12 is going to pass on UConn. UConn brings nothing to the table, neither the NY or Boston media markets. To get into a P5 UConn needs the ACC to be raided and then, maybe, the ACC would take another look.

Reactions: RURod

It's not really a plan in the first place. Most of the schools are not on board with expansion. Oklahoma is the one pushing this, not the commissioner or the other schools. The real issue driving this is the LHN.

It's not really a plan in the first place. Most of the schools are not on board with expansion. Oklahoma is the one pushing this, not the commissioner or the other schools. The real issue driving this is the LHN.

If Cincinnati + anyone else moved the needle, they'd be in the Big 12 already. They could have taken UL, WVU and Cincy in 2011, allowing UL and Cincy the 27 months the Big East required, and not creating any islands.

That ship sailed when UL went to the ACC.

It is always MIND BLOWING how little regard people give in these fantasy island "scenarios" to the connectedness of state schools...OU and the steers simply can't "just leave" and leave fellow state schools f***** over and dangling in the wind...P E R I O D!! Not happening! We had no such obstacles because we are the only P5 school in the state...that is absolutely, positively NOT the case in either Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, too! They're stuck! There's no magic "let's go to the PAC OR B1G" bullet out there...

It is always MIND BLOWING how little regard people give in these fantasy island "scenarios" to the connectedness of state schools...OU and the steers simply can't "just leave" and leave fellow state schools f***** over and dangling in the wind...P E R I O D!! Not happening! We had no such obstacles because we are the only P5 school in the state...that is absolutely, positively NOT the case in either Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, too! They're stuck! There's no magic "let's go to the PAC OR B1G" bullet out there...

Texas A&M , a large, oldest in Texas Public University , had no problem leaving U of Texas, another very large Public University, behind in the Big12 , when they bolted for the SEC.

My guess would be unlike the B1G they would try to split up powers so Baylor in one division and TCU in the other.
Also just don't understand why Marshall wouldn't be looked at here...Natural rivalry with WVA and could build trophy game with Cincy. Logistically in cuts down on the excess travel that WVA currently (and Cincy would have if chosen) since conference already spread westward. Bringing in UConn would be extremely costly in travel (Especially for UConn). Just seems like a logistics nightmare. If not Marshall even a Florida school would be better fit and give the conference brand recognition in the Sunshine state.
I personally wouldn't classify Baylor as a "power"...they have been relevant in football for 5 years...and could much more easily fall back into mediocrity like Texas tech had recently.

Also, you don't choose schools to join conferences based on rivalries with existing schools or the big ten may have went after Pitt instead of Rutgers...you choose schools based on what they add to the big picture and Marshall brings nothing, not even a competitive sports program.

Texas A&M , a large, oldest in Texas Public University , had no problem leaving U of Texas, another very large Public University, behind in the Big12 , when they bolted for the SEC.
Someone already addressed this is the prior expansion post, Texas a&m somehow managed to bolt but not without any political say...also, how do we know Texas wasn't invited instead of Mizzou and rejected it because of their own network?

Someone already addressed this is the prior expansion post, Texas a&m somehow managed to bolt but not without any political say...also, how do we know Texas wasn't invited instead of Mizzou and rejected it because of their own network?

Ummm....that's not it.

I've explained his SO MANY times...A&M was ONLY able to leave because the state legislature was NOT in session, Texas decided to stay and thus save the big 12, and because the other big Texas schools all ended up in the B12. This essentially saved a spot at the big table for all the Texas publics and Baylor and TCU (two politically powerful privates) to also have a spot; the politicians were "reassured". Not sure why this caveat seems so hard for so many to get...the A&M move was the perfect convergence of fortunate events that will likely NOT happen again.

You better f****** believe that Baylor, Texas tech, TCU, Okie state and KState will not let their bigger state schools leave them behind...now, in 5 years or in 20. The B12 is here to stay...if they are smart, they convince someone to join them, get to 12 and hope for the best. Texas' dream to rub elbows with Stanford and Berkeley are over...the B1G argument sounds cool...but that lawsuit Baylor has ready to go...will be a doozy!

A&M got lucky...a president with BALLS...the right timing...Mizzou too...those who could leave the B12, did! If Texas had been smart they should have tried to leave for the SEC...but their heart was set on the PAC. Said hopes vaporized...and their marriage to A&M ended in blissful divorce! (Amen!!!)

'A&M got lucky..' 'State legislature was not in session'

You lost me right there. There was no luck involved. Pure , calculated business decision. 'State Legislation not in session ' LOL ! please !

'After months of speculation, Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin did what every media pundit, college football analyst, and casual college athletics fan felt would never happen. On Monday, Loftin accepted an unconditional invitation to join the Southeastern Conference in front of SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, SEC board chairman and University of Florida president Dr. Bernie Machen, and several hundred celebrating Aggie students and supporters. '

This was a business decision made by the university executives, not an emotional reaction to a third tier rights television network. The issue at hand for Loftin is building Texas A&M's national brand, which is sorely weak at this point. That may come as a surprise to most Texas A&M former students and supporters, because the Aggie brand is strong within the state's borders.
http://www.scout.com/college/texas-am/story/1111631-a-m-to-the-sec-reasons-behind-the-decision
http://www.scout.com/college/texas-am/story/1111631-a-m-to-the-sec-reasons-behind-the-decision

'

Last edited:
Whenever I read all the stories about the politicking and internal factions involved with anything the Big 12 does, I'm reminded of the old Big East. I find it hard to believe that it won't end up the same way in the end.

i can see uconn in Big 12........

as soon as they relocate from Storrs to Missouri.............

not happening..........

The B12 just pushed through a change to the NCAA rules to allow them to play a conference championship game with less than 12 members. And now they are going to do a 180 and expand to 12?

Reactions: lighty
Texas didn't save the Big XII. E$PN did by buying off Texas with LHN dollars. Gene Stallings saved A+M when he fought against the move to the PAC-10/16, and pushed for SEC membership.

I agree with Jabba2's assessment. UC and UConn would be considered back fill, not expansion. Texas will be able to go where ever they want. Only OU and OSU seem attached at the hip. Will OU leave their brother on the deck of the Titanic, and jump into the last lifeboat? 50/50.

Hopefully this is a sign that the last big shakeup is approaching. I hope the ACC gets their payback, and gets picked apart. What's left merges with what's left of the Big XII. And ND is left holding their Richards, begging the B1G for a spot.

One can dream.

The B12 absolutely screwed up. They had a chance a while back to stabilize their league and they decided they were too good to expand. Between the Pitt/Cuse move and then the RU/Maryland move Louisville was begging, I mean begging to get out of the then Big East. Adding Louisville/Cincy was the perfect move. It would have stabilized their league . But they waited too long and they lost Louisville and now they are left with a choice either stay within their footprint and add teams with not too much value (with another Texas school or CIncy/Memphis) or add better programs and as a result more islands (a FL school, UConn, Boise, BYU). Either way it is a desperate move and once the big boys expand again the B12 is done.

Reactions: Rhuarc
The Big 12 spent way too much time in the wait and see mode when significant shifts were happening elsewhere. Although I can see Cincy bringing them some good teams and exposure in Ohio , UCONN's best days are already in the rear view mirror. They can't even deliver fans in their own seats much less anywhere else or on TV. Basketball is nice, but does not bring in nearly enough $ to make it work. Taking them would clearly appear to be a move based on panic.

According to television insiders, the Big Ten will be disappointed when it negotiates a new deal this summer. Yes, it will get a modest bump, but you won’t hear the term “blockbuster deal.”

Also, look around. The number of bidders is dwindling. Fox didn’t even bid on Conference USA football. Fox 1 has been a marginal success. Fox 2 is a disaster. ESPN is looking for every way to contain costs.

The network gravy train is over, folks. And the Big 12 won’t be making up that money through marketing, adding a football championship or by increasing attendance.

The only way to close the gap is by negotiating with Texas to end the lame Longhorn Network and starting a potential Big 12 network as Oklahoma president Dave Boren suggested.

If you’re looking for a $200 million difference in the leagues, there it is. The SEC and Big Ten are making hundreds of millions off their networks. The Big 12 can be successful as well, according to the insiders. Roll the Longhorn Network into a venture with either ESPN or Fox.

As I mentioned here before, adding Connecticut would give the league access into the Northeast, including New York. It’s what the Big Ten thought when it took in Rutgers — only Connecticut has good basketball. (And went to a BCS bowl in football.)

-Rutgers basketball is a national embarrassment.

Is this your opinion or some writer's poor analysis of things?

'A&M got lucky..' 'State legislature was not in session'

You lost me right there. There was no luck involved. Pure , calculated business decision. 'State Legislation not in session ' LOL ! please !

'After months of speculation, Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin did what every media pundit, college football analyst, and casual college athletics fan felt would never happen. On Monday, Loftin accepted an unconditional invitation to join the Southeastern Conference in front of SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, SEC board chairman and University of Florida president Dr. Bernie Machen, and several hundred celebrating Aggie students and supporters. '

This was a business decision made by the university executives, not an emotional reaction to a third tier rights television network. The issue at hand for Loftin is building Texas A&M's national brand, which is sorely weak at this point. That may come as a surprise to most Texas A&M former students and supporters, because the Aggie brand is strong within the state's borders.

'

Duh...I'm an Aggie...of course I understand the politics and the limitations in Texas sunshine..A&M got lucky...every Aggie knows this...you don't because you're NOT an Ag...if you're unable to realize that A&M, big as it is, got lucky, then there is no ****ing way I can make you understand the scope of the move...spend some time in TexAgs.com and you'll clue in...this 25 year Aggie needs no further explanation...you clearly do...

See ya...

Duh...I'm an Aggie...of course I understand the politics and the limitations in Texas sunshine..A&M got lucky...every Aggie knows this...you don't because you're NOT an Ag...if you're unable to realize that A&M, big as it is, got lucky, then there is no ****ing way I can make you understand the scope of the move...spend some time in TexAgs.com and you'll clue in...this 25 year Aggie needs no further explanation...you clearly do...

See ya...
As far as I'm concerned A&M wanted to leave the Vitamin Conference, they left for the SEC.
Lucky or a skillful maneuver, the result was the same and they got what they wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT