ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Cliff Omoruyi to enter Transfer Portal

Cliff was very good for RU. However, I do not see how his game will change very much in a year. He cannot do anything to open the floor because he has NO shot...none. His hands are what they are. He gets pushed around by good players and is just an average rebounder. I'm OK that he is moving on and wish him well.

If you don’t think the guys coming don’t already have chemistry you’re nuts, plus JMike already played with Ace. Open your eyes.
Ha, this team showed no chemistry, and while you can say Ace and Dylan love each other, you have no idea until they are together every day, living, working, ect. Two guys that played a few months together doesn't equal chemistry.

Good luck to Cliff and wish him the best, watching his explosive dunks was always a fun sight. But now it’s on to the next man up, or next man yet to arrive via the portal……life moves on.

Too bad Rutgers fans are big on opinions day after day but small on donating to the NIL. He is going to get a huge pay day from someone. He was very emotional on senior day he seems to love Rutgers but can’t blame the guy for going for the money. 2 unproven guys are getting big money to come to Rutgers but Cliff gets zilch. Something is wrong with that.
St John’s has a billionaire who has said he will do whatever it takes. Can’t compete with that.

Reactions: HatterChat
The writing was on the wall for this. Loved Cliff here for 4 years being a top 50 player committing out of HS, but there are only so many shots to go around next year. He knew his shots were going to be limited with Dylan and Ace being here next year. Cliff needs to be on a team he can be one of the focal points of the offense, show NBA scouts what he can do and it wasn't going to be here in his final year with 2 potential lottery picks in 2025 NBA Draft.
What has Cliff done here to suggest he can be the focal point of an offense? I do think there is a decent chance that another coach is going to make this staff look bad by just getting him to be more fundamentally sound on both ends of the floor. One reliable post move and the ability to pass out of double team would be a good start. He is not making an NBA roster.

Goodby Cliff hope you do well wherever you land.
But tank if and when the program you choose plays Rutgers.
Your leaving might be a win-win, you finding a new home to develop your skills into being NBA ready and getting plenty of playing time to strut your stuff, while Rutgers' new guy Summerville has a chance to show why he might be a one and done.
Sharing minutes might have hurt the NBA draft status of both of you if
Summerville is a one and done
Love Somerville, but no one thinks he is one and done. If he is we are going to the Final Four.

God bless Cliff. His time at Rutgers was entertaining. He was a defensive force under the basket and altered many shots by the opponents .

It is a shame that the Rutgers staff did not develop his offense.

How did he not develop a jump hook over his 4 years at Rutgers ??

Can you imagine if he ends up at UCONN and he and Clingan are in the paint denying every single shot.

Rutgers has a lot of work to do.
Clingan is going to the NBA. UConn will have Samson Johnson coming back, doubt they will have interest in Cliff.

Word is he may not be traveling far (and not SHU).
Should go somewhere to develop his offensive skillset. SJU may be that destination given Pitino has put folks in the league and coached in the league. Wish him the best. He tried here and played hard.

It would have been great if he stayed. But we were told to expect him leaving so no surprise. Thank you for your time here Cliff!
He became a defensive force here. To get to the next level he may need to develop more on the offensive side. Here may not be the answer for him on that side of the court. Just a reality.

He became a defensive force here. To get to the next level he may need to develop more on the offensive side. Here may not be the answer for him on that side of the court. Just a reality.
I’d be willing to bet he doesn’t magically develop shooting touch in a year someplace else.

One simple thing he can be taught is finishing around the rim without needing to dunk. Use the backboard, better form on baby hook shot. That alone can up that side of the game.
That falls under the umbrella of shooting touch to me.

St. John’s written all over it. Hypothetically 500K from vitamin water man is more than any nba, or over seas deal hed secure for one year.

Reactions: Good-Knight
butter fingers... if he doesn't get that under control... NEVER will get to next level. Needs to handle ball bette, and cannot just dunk.

Yup. Someone posted the podcast with Geo and Ron and they talked about how bad his timing was as a freshman. Hes improved a ton even if it’s not on the stat sheet. Hope he’s able to get the hands down.

I can understand Cliff wanting to move on with his life and pursue a professional career.

What I don’t understand is why he would want to play at another school with all the potential we have for a great season next year that he could be a big part of.

And I definitely don’t understand people who think it’s best for us to move on. Cliff is one of the best centers RU has ever had and he would be a big piece for us. He’s going to get interest at the highest levels of college basketball. It’s hard for me to imagine that we’re going to come up with a replacement that’s a better for us.
$$$$

I love B1G Cliff and wish him nothing but the best. But this is very strange and I agree with RU82 here. Go pro by all means. But leave RU for another school is very odd. So much help coming in would allow him to play to his strength. Oh well.
Because he will get paid more elsewhere and maybe they have a better graduate program for him

Cliff will be a dynamic defensive force wherever he goes, especially if he plays with a good 6-10 power forward like a Coleman Hawkins.
I don’t expect his offense to change much.
God Bless you young man, it was a great 4 years.. prosper!
I agree @zappaa. Having seen James Bailey and Roy Hinson, you must wish Cliff well but he wasn’t in their league.

I just want to point out some hypocrisy here: the biggest critics of NIL, who say they will never donate, are often the same guys who bash the kids for wanting to be paid. According to them:

- Poor kids should give up hundreds of thousands of dollars that will change their lives out of loyalty to RU or they are selfish ingrates.
- But long time RU fans shouldn’t have to give up $25 bucks to NIL out of loyalty to RU to support the players.

One simple thing he can be taught is finishing around the rim without needing to dunk. Use the backboard, better form on baby hook shot. That alone can up that side of the game.
You don’t think they tried to teach him how to make various types of shots in the 4 years he was here? Use the backboard? Lol

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I just want to point out some hypocrisy here: the biggest critics of NIL, who say they will never donate, are often the same guys who bash the kids for wanting to be paid. According to them:

- Poor kids should give up hundreds of thousands of dollars that will change their lives out of loyalty to RU or they are selfish ingrates.
- But long time RU fans shouldn’t have to give up $25 bucks to NIL out of loyalty to RU to support the players.
You've erected a strawman.

Reactions: bac2therac
cliffs offense has been discussed on this board for 4 years. He's not a back to the basket post player. It was frustrating this year to see him try to develop into one. He needs to play with guards that get in the lane and can lob passes to him or have him face the basket for put backs. An offense can not flow through him. That’s not his game.

He is a good defender, shot blocker and rebounder. He did mentally check out for a bunch of games this year and obviously so did Mag so there was a locker room issue.

I wish him well on his next team. He needs to go to a place with quick guards and a high tempo offense.

Reactions: bac2therac
So how will going to St John’s help develop his game more than 2 NBA lottery picks coming in? Fast guards? Do you see how Ace &Dylan can pass. Even BTN said if he is staying in college, he should remain at Rutgers.
If it’s a money, thing, I understand, assuming that St John’s can get him NIL money & Rutgers can’t ( due to whatever rules, because Rutgers already took overseas trip? , etc) , and all NIL options for Rutgers NIL payment have been exhausted.
This would really need to be explained in another thread, because if it’s about St John’s being able to get him more “NBA Ready”, that’s ridiculous..

So how will going to St John’s help develop his game more than 2 NBA lottery picks coming in? Fast guards? Do you see how Ace &Dylan can pass. Even BTN said if he is staying in college, he should remain at Rutgers.
If it’s a money, thing, I understand, assuming that St John’s can get him NIL money & Rutgers can’t ( due to whatever rules, because Rutgers already took overseas trip? , etc) , and all NIL options for Rutgers NIL payment have been exhausted.
This would really need to be explained in another thread, because if it’s about St John’s being able to get him more “NBA Ready”, that’s ridiculous..
$$$$.

Maybe he just wants a change of scenery. He spent 4 years here and he may want to try something different? He definitely checked out during some games this year and Pike said during interviews he needed to challenge his big man. That’s never a good sign. If another team can get him money he should take it.

He will get interested from many teams, not just St John’s. And I don’t think that Cliff is an NBA player no matter where he ends up next year. He can’t shoot from the outside and his hands aren’t very good. But he is athletic and he can defend.

Money for sure.
And I don’t care how heralded incoming freshman are, they are unproven and haven’t played against men before.
Our roster is completely unstable with Mag gone.

• Wow
Reactions: runrutgersrun
I said that money was an understandable situation, IF, St Joh’s was able to get him NIL money (or more) and Rutgers coukdn’t..
As far as change in scenery. With the complete overhaul of the roster, & 2 NBA players coming in, I would think that would be enough a change in scenery.
The truly Loyal, do not leave because of a change in scenery..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT