ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff showed more touch tonight than we’ve seen all season! Great job.

It’s like he learned a lot of new moves overnight Tonight he made good adjustments based on what the defender(s) were doing. He was smooth, quick and dynamic and having fun. Fortunately that first foul was called on JWill because he may have been less aggressive.

Reactions: SBP
I said the same thing. His best “non-dunk” shooting game yet. He found his rhythm and looked at the rim instead of tossing it blindly over his head. More of that please agaisnt another power center-less Nebraska

Where’s that lefty swoop dunk been all year!! That’s literally unstoppable
I could be wrong but I believe he palmed it one handed off the dribble without even cupping the ball. It was quite a move. Cliff at 30 years old should be a darn good player. Maybe he gets his NBA shot in a couple more years.

When Cliff is running the floor and setting screens from the top of the key and wings he’s a completely different player than how he is most often used

Cliff had a great game, but Jeremiah made that possible. Let’s hope Cliff recognizes this and sees light at the end of the tunnel on a return for next season. His disappointing play this year is undoubtedly attributable to our lack of either perimeter shooters or reliable penetrators. When you add the threat of either it changes everything. Game opens up for him on the paint.

Reactions: Scangg
Different matchups pose different opportunities for Cliff. Reid is slower than him so he was able to use his length and quickness to get around him. Also a lot of his game is predicated on guard play setting him up. He had several dunks because we got out in transition or he was able to get to work quickly in the post.

A guy like Edey obviously provides a bigger challenge given his length and drop coverage. It has been an up and down year for him like the whole team but since Jeremiah has come back, hes shot over 50% from the field which shows just how much a guy like him has impacted his play.

Reactions: RUsojo
Cliff capitalized on every opportunity and you love to see that, he had a great game.

Lets not discount just how bad Michigan is though. A lot of those opportunities would not have been there vs the top 3/4 of the league.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Shelby65
Cliff was not doubled much yesterday … he won’t be next year either 👍

Reactions: Kbee3
Cliff capitalized on every opportunity and you love to see that, he had a great game.

Lets not discount just how bad Michigan is though. A lot of those opportunities would not have been there vs the top 3/4 of the league.
Yea it was a fun game and we played well but Michigan is baaaad. Lost 16 of 18 and looked disinterested in matching Rutgers intensity

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Cliff had his legs tonight. Tired legs lead to front and back rim shots. It started with him running the floor and getting a beautiful pass from Derek. One of the best passes I have seen in a while.....until the 2nd half when J Will threw a seed from nearly half court alley oop with Reed right on Cliff. That could do down as the pass of the year.

I've been rough on Cliff and rightfully so, but tonight is the best I've seen him look in the post since he has gotten here.
I've been tough on your posts and rightfully so. This was a decent post by you. Well done.

Different matchups pose different opportunities for Cliff. Reid is slower than him so he was able to use his length and quickness to get around him. Also a lot of his game is predicated on guard play setting him up. He had several dunks because we got out in transition or he was able to get to work quickly in the post.

A guy like Edey obviously provides a bigger challenge given his length and drop coverage. It has been an up and down year for him like the whole team but since Jeremiah has come back, hes shot over 50% from the field which shows just how much a guy like him has impacted his play.
Edey wears you down too. The games after Edey were our 2 worst home losses of the year. Team looked dead in both but great bounce back last night.

Reactions: Wagram97
Rutgers was in attack mode last night. They really opened up the floor and that is how Cliff needs to play. Constant motion like you saw in the G league tapes. Not that old school post dribble-dribble stuff. Grab it and go.
He definitely had that spring in his step last night. Looked like Super-Cliff again.

Cliff had his legs tonight. Tired legs lead to front and back rim shots. It started with him running the floor and getting a beautiful pass from Derek. One of the best passes I have seen in a while.....until the 2nd half when J Will threw a seed from nearly half court alley oop with Reed right on Cliff. That could do down as the pass of the year.
The extra day of rest did wonders. The entire team looked worn down the last couple games but looked fresh and explosive against Michigan

Edey wears you down too. The games after Edey were our 2 worst home losses of the year. Team looked dead in both but great bounce back last night.
Absolutely does and Cliff has to do it for 30 min plus most nights against him.

Again cant understate the impact J Williams has had on Cliffs game. A guard that can get him the ball in the right spots like that lob last night.

I also noticed that Cliff did not get subbed out until the 11ish minute last night- this is not normal he usually gets subbed out at the 4 minute mark. I wonder why now?

So, no ‘Cliff must be injured’ or ‘the team is poorly conditioned’ excuses today ? No doubt those refrains will be reused soon.

Yes the team was energized but more significant, we saw a depleted Michigan, which lost Dickinson and two players to the NBA (first round picks) this year.

We didn’t see a new Cliff. We saw an opponent that played no defense at all.

Last edited:
I also noticed that Cliff did not get subbed out until the 11ish minute last night- this is not normal he usually gets subbed out at the 4 minute mark. I wonder why now?
Ogbole out with injury, so Pike minimized subbing at the 5 using Oskar there in spots.

About damn time. Pike with his predetermined subs normally does not work. He has to use the under 16,12 8 and 4 timeouts to get him some rest for a minute and back in. He then plays 32 minutes a game with the greatest impact and we do not lose our rim protector and someone who can stop a drought.

So, no ‘Cliff must be injured’ or ‘the team is poorly conditioned’ excuses today ? No doubt those refrains will be reused soon.

Yes the team was energized but more significant, we saw a depleted Michigan, which lost Dickinson and two players to the NBA (first round picks) this year.

We didn’t see a new Cliff. We saw an opponent that played no defense at all.

Cliff can’t “create” for himself against anyone except LIU and St Peters types. Michigan is a mess, but they have the post player talent to contain him. The difference was the guard play that opened up opportunities for him. He capitalized and had a great game. If the right pieces return next year (J Williams in particular) Cliff could have a very big year coming back in my opinion. Hereally thrives when he’s not the focus of defenses.

Cliff can’t “create” for himself against anyone except LIU and St Peters types. Michigan is a mess, but they have the post player talent to contain him. The difference was the guard play that opened up opportunities for him. He capitalized and had a great game. If the right pieces return next year (J Williams in particular) Cliff could have a very big year coming back in my opinion. Hereally thrives when he’s not the focus of defenses.
Agree in theory but there’s only one ball and with the players coming in I think he’s even more likely to be margjnlzed.

Agree in theory but there’s only one ball and with the players coming in I think he’s even more likely to be margjnlzed.
PIkiell had a conversation with Cliff prior to the Michigan game stating the need for him to be more active on offense.Its like he came out of hibernation trying and making shots not seen before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT