ADVERTISEMENT

Court to be named after CVS

I completely agree with BAC regarding how she should be remembered.
Both my wife and daughter read her book and were inspired. She's had a very interesting and sometimes very difficult life. Most successful coach at Rutgers
Anyone who read her book might've cut her a little slack on her struggles the past few years. She's one of the best ever, both as a coach and a human being, and I'm proud to have the court named after her.

The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame, not the Basketball Hall of Fame.

CVS is in both.
Actually, it was announced a few weeks ago that Theresa Grentz is being inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as part of the 2022 class this September (she was inducted into the Women's Hall of Fame back in 2014).

The biggest issue I have with honoring Theresa in a really major way (she deserves plenty of respect and accolades for her accomplishments at RU) is that she left and moved on to supposedly greener pastures. She spent 12 years at Illinois and a couple of years at Lafayette after her time at Rutgers.

For the same reason, I wouldn't name anything after Tom Young, who led us to the Final Four but abandoned us for Old Dominion of all places.

Last edited:
you sound bitter, sad that you can't understand the respect C.Vivian Stringer brought to Rutgers University , on and off the court, as the face of the Women's Basketball Program throughout the years she was the RU WBB HC.
Does the name Theresa Grentz ring a bell? Just wondering. Stringer didn’t invent women’s basketball at Rutgers. Grentz is the most under appreciated Coach in Rutgers sports history and the program actually had more than a handful of people attend games when she was here. Not advocating anything being named for Grentz just tired of constantly having people talk like Stringer created Rutgers women’s basketball. She inherited a great program from a woman whose record speaks for itself or at least should. This is not an Eddie Jordan Steve Pikiell situation. And for the record Grentz is in the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame and before being elected as a individual player in the Naismith Hall of Fame this year she was already in as a member of the Immaculata team which of course she was the star of.

Stringer got everything she could ask for here including an absurd compensation package for almost 3 decades. She never did anything to embrace the Rutgers community and her final act was to selfishly hold the program and especially its players hostage. I’ll be shocked if she actually holds a final in person press conference and answers for this final destructive chapter and if she does if anyone will have the guts to really hold her feet to the fire.

Yeah, they do things like name courts after coaches these days and when one tallies 1,000 wins over the course of a Hall of Fame career not doing so would be extremely bad form (especially when they name the Barn court after Jimmy V who was here as a wing man as a player and then was here a year or two as a low level staffer.) But her legacy is forever tarnished by the way she handled the end especially. A disappearing act and invoking a year’s worth of sick pay (!) for a 73 year old coach 2 weeks after signing a lucrative extension? Not ashamed to say I’m glad she’s gone.

Last edited:
I don't follow women's hoops. I hope they do well, but I just don't watch.

I have no issue with court being named after CVS.

Shes retiring after coaching 50 years. I'm sure getting to the milestone had something to do with her not stepping down before.

I dont know...are they one of the most transformative coaches in their respective sports
Reasso was MORE “transformative“ he came to a program with no winning tradition. They had been so bad that they lost a scrimmage to the Cook College soccer club in the late 70s. They were badly underfunded in comparison to their rivals. They had a recruiting budget a fraction of even some of the local rivals and less than the NCAA allowable scholarship limit. But under him they went to three final fours. His tenure did not end well, but he was absolutely more transformative than CVS; He built a powerhouse out of what had been a farce. CVS came to a program that already had tradition and success, and was the first program to pay for a full-time women’s coach in the entire nation. The foundation was there, and the institutional support exceeded most of their rivals.

I have two thoughts with respect to naming the court after her. If that is done, it should carry the name of TG as well. TG oversaw the program rising to national prominence.

My other issue is that while she was all in for her own athletes and her own program, she never seemed all in for RU. I would be more inclined to name a court after someone who in addition to their W/L, approached the job like Pike, who champions all things RU every chance he gets (Including CVS), and does everything possible to be a member of the RU community. If Pike where to someday have similar on court success, I would name the court after him in a minute.

Reactions: shields
Theresa Grentz brought us a National Championship. Just have the girls Court be called Grentz/Stringer Court. Will cover decades of mostly successful teams and both coaches. Name the mens Court after Tom Young and/or Jim Valvano.
That's fine if you're talking about the APC practice courts but we're not.

Some very interesting responses which are all over the spectrum here. It's a shame her coaching career at RU ended in this fashion. Number one, I hope CVS and her family are well. Number two, it's odd there is no explanation about her absence all this time. And number three, I just saw her retirement is effective Sept. 1st!! WTF? String the program along some more, why don't ya CViv?!?

Reasso was MORE “transformative“ he came to a program with no winning tradition. They had been so bad that they lost a scrimmage to the Cook College soccer club in the late 70s. They were badly underfunded in comparison to their rivals. They had a recruiting budget a fraction of even some of the local rivals and less than the NCAA allowable scholarship limit. But under him they went to three final fours. His tenure did not end well, but he was absolutely more transformative than CVS; He built a powerhouse out of what had been a farce. CVS came to a program that already had tradition and success, and was the first program to pay for a full-time women’s coach in the entire nation. The foundation was there, and the institutional support exceeded most of their rivals.

I have two thoughts with respect to naming the court after her. If that is done, it should carry the name of TG as well. TG oversaw the program rising to national prominence.

My other issue is that while she was all in for her own athletes and her own program, she never seemed all in for RU. I would be more inclined to name a court after someone who in addition to their W/L, approached the job like Pike, who champions all things RU every chance he gets (Including CVS), and does everything possible to be a member of the RU community. If Pike where to someday have similar on court success, I would name the court after him in a minute.

What do you mean being "all in" for RU? She arrived at RU as a single mother of three, having just lost her husband unexpectedly, and within 5 years had the program in the Final Four. That sounds like someone who was "all in" from the get go.

What do you mean being "all in" for RU? She arrived at RU as a single mother of three, having just lost her husband unexpectedly, and within 5 years had the program in the Final Four. That sounds like someone who was "all in" from the get go.
I meant exactly what I said, being all in for your athletes and your program is not the same as being all in for RU. And RU made her the highest paid women’s college coach in the nation at that time for her to take care of her Family. She came in making more than the men’s basketball coach, the football coach and even more than Gino Auriemma, who was coming off a 35–0 season, or Pat Summitt. It was the equivalent of RU hiring a new football coach for more than Bobby Bowden. It was an arms length transaction, not a sacrifice.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
It’s sad that many Rutgers under appreciate what CVS did at RU. No one was winning at RU when she did. Schiano is the only one who is in her class and he didn’t even have the same success. The fans hating this are letting their own personal opinion of CVS cloud what she accomplished.
Amen. She's been criticized in certain quarters from the day she was hired at RU, even though her resume was legendary even then.

I’m sorry are some of you totally stupid?? “Bad last couple years” well actually her last year coaching we finished 3rd in the Big Ten, ranked #21 in the country and made the NCAAs?? She didn’t coach this year for health reasons so her final actual season that was the result but you people seem to be totally forgetting that?? Or for the last 25 years where she was the face of the Athletic department besides Schiano and long before him, and the only ranked successful team at RU? Let alone who she is for the history of college basketball, and sports in general???? Only this fanboard could be so ignorant

Does the name Theresa Grentz ring a bell? Just wondering. Stringer didn’t invent women’s basketball at Rutgers. Grentz is the most under appreciated Coach in Rutgers sports history and the program actually had more than a handful of people attend games when she was here. Not advocating anything being named for Grentz just tired of constantly having people talk like Stringer created Rutgers women’s basketball. She inherited a great program from a woman whose record speaks for itself or at least should. This is not an Eddie Jordan Steve Pikiell situation. And for the record Grentz is in the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame and before being elected as a individual player in the Naismith Hall of Fame this year she was already in as a member of the Immaculata team which of course she was the star of.

Stringer got everything she could ask for here including an absurd compensation package for almost 3 decades. She never did anything to embrace the Rutgers community and her final act was to selfishly hold the program and especially its players hostage. I’ll be shocked if she actually holds a final in person press conference and answers for this final destructive chapter and if she does if anyone will have the guts to really hold her feet to the fire.

Yeah, they do things like name courts after coaches these days and when one tallies 1,000 wins over the course of a Hall of Fame career not doing so would be extremely bad form (especially when they name the Barn court after Jimmy V who was here as a wing man as a player and then was here a year or two as a low level staffer.) But her legacy is forever tarnished by the way she handled the end especially. A disappearing act and invoking a year’s worth of sick pay (!) for a 73 year old coach 2 weeks after signing a lucrative extension? Not ashamed to say I’m glad she’s gone.
Yes Theresa's name rings a bell, but she didn't retire from Rutgers
Grentz deserves all the accolades in the world and I wouldn't object one bit if the court was named after her and Stringer.
Theresa brought RU a National Championship and I'm sure if there wasn't two ( NCAA started there's that same year) Grentz would still coached RU to the top.
As for honors you mentioned, don't forget Vivian has a few herself and was the HC that made the College Basketball World ( men's and women's) look on Rutgers University with respect , even when the other RU sports weren't looking so glorious.

As for the last year , to me CVS didn't want to give up coaching and took that LOA so she could have the time to be able to return knowing she wasn't capable of doing the job then.
Did I like it, no , but throughout her tenure as the RU HC she had represent Rutgers with class and grace defending the players under her, caring for them and making RU WBB the best it could be even when the University didn't support it's sports programs properly and some of he RU sports programs were looked upon as losers..
For that I'll give he a mulligan for her spending the last year trying to get healthy enough to return to her head coaching duties because she wasn't read in my opinion, ( mentally) to retire.

I find it sad that alot of good RU fans seem to dislike Stringer and look for ways to keep her from being honored , making what she accomplished less than it should be.
Stringer put RU WBB on the College Women's Basketball World's Map, Theresa Grentz started the journey of recognition and deserves any honor bestowed on her, but not be given an honor or be a part of one ,just to spite Stringer.

Yes Theresa's name rings a bell, but she didn't retire from Rutgers
Grentz deserves all the accolades in the world and I wouldn't object one bit if the court was named after her and Stringer.
Theresa brought RU a National Championship and I'm sure if there wasn't two ( NCAA started there's that same year) Grentz would still coached RU to the top.
As for honors you mentioned, don't forget Vivian has a few herself and was the HC that made the College Basketball World ( men's and women's) look on Rutgers University with respect , even when the other RU sports weren't looking so glorious.

As for the last year , to me CVS didn't want to give up coaching and took that LOA so she could have the time to be able to return knowing she wasn't capable of doing the job then.
Did I like it, no , but throughout her tenure as the RU HC she had represent Rutgers with class and grace defending the players under her, caring for them and making RU WBB the best it could be even when the University didn't support it's sports programs properly and some of he RU sports programs were looked upon as losers..
For that I'll give he a mulligan for her spending the last year trying to get healthy enough to return to her head coaching duties because she wasn't read in my opinion, ( mentally) to retire.

I find it sad that alot of good RU fans seem to dislike Stringer and look for ways to keep her from being honored , making what she accomplished less than it should be.
Stringer put RU WBB on the College Women's Basketball World's Map, Theresa Grentz started the journey of recognition and deserves any honor bestowed on her, but not be given an honor or be a part of one ,just to spite Stringer.
Theresa Grentz didnt retire from Rutgers because she got pushed out after 19 years as HC by AD Fred Grunninger. That’s why she went to Illinois. While at RU she was the HC of the 1992 Womens Olympic team in Barcelona, same year as the US Mens Dream team.

Some Will remember the unfortunate racial remarks made by RU President Fran Lawrence from late 1994 that were in the news in 1995. Many wanted Lawrence to resign or be fired. In response Lawrence built a case among the RU Admin that he had never showed racial bias in the past, based on “ look at the record”. In order to defend his position he spearheaded the hiring of CVS in July 1995 after Grunninger purposely slow walked Grentz’s contract extension. If you connect the dots Grentz got squeezed out at RU followed by Lawrence hiring a Black HC for WBB, showing that the charges against him of racial bias were false. It worked because Lawrence was able to withstand the firestorm of criticism of his previous racial remarks and remained RU President.

Not to say that CVS wasn’t well qualified for the job at RU, because she was highly qualified. But there may not have been a job opening if not for Lawrence’s racial remarks that threatened his position at RU.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Theresa Grentz didnt retire from Rutgers because she got pushed out after 19 years as HC by AD Fred Grunninger. That’s why she went to Illinois. While at RU she was the HC of the 1992 Womens Olympic team in Barcelona, same year as the US Mens Dream team.
I know why she left and agree she was a great HC while at RU and recognized as one , except by the RU AD.
Theresa wanted the type of money Bob Wenzel was getting and she deserved it.
That and the lack of support RU WBB was receiving made her leave for the Illinois WBB HC position

Theresa was a great coach while at Rutgers , but feel many are trying to use her in an effort to lessen what CVS accomplished at RU with the type of support ( except for pay) that drove Grentz to
Illinois .
As for the court being named after both Grentz and Stringer, I'd have ho problem and would like to see it named that way.
But don't like Theresa being used, by some that don't really like Stringer, just to keep Vivian from being honored like she is being honored now.

Grentz had a .743 winning percentage at RU, Stringer .648. Stringer did well for RU but we already were a very good woman's program, and no NC in 27 years and no B10 title in 8 seasons. Good but not great. I don't feel like Stringer game much back to RU or showed the love and her end of career here left something to be desired. I don't agree with the court naming.

Some Will remember the unfortunate racial remarks made by RU President Fran Lawrence from late 1994 that were in the news in 1995. Many wanted Lawrence to resign or be fired. In response Lawrence built a case among the RU Admin that he had never showed racial bias in the past, based on “ look at the record”. In order to defend his position he spearheaded the hiring of CVS in July 1995 after Grunninger purposely slow walked Grentz’s contract extension. If you connect the dots Grentz got squeezed out at RU so that Lawrence could hire a Black HC for WBB, showing that the charges against him of racial bias were false. It worked because Lawrence was able to withstand the firestorm of criticism of his previous racial remarks and remained RU President.

Not to say that CVS wasn’t well qualified for the job at RU, because she was highly qualified. But there would not have been a job opening if not for Lawrence’s racial remarks that threatened his position at RU.

Thats not how it happened

Grentz had a .743 winning percentage at RU, Stringer .648. Stringer did well for RU but we already were a very good woman's program, and no NC in 27 years and no B10 title in 8 seasons. Good but not great. I don't feel like Stringer game much back to RU or showed the love and her end of career here left something to be desired. I don't agree with the court naming.

Grentz teams were declining and the game was changing. Slow unathletic players werent going to work anymore

Some very interesting responses which are all over the spectrum here. It's a shame her coaching career at RU ended in this fashion. Number one, I hope CVS and her family are well. Number two, it's odd there is no explanation about her absence all this time. And number three, I just saw her retirement is effective Sept. 1st!! WTF? String the program along some more, why don't ya CViv?!?
When you’re a university employee it’s probably based on an academic calendar, not sure. But I don’t think the date is a big deal at this point since they already agreed to a settlement.

Thats not how it happened
bac,

I respect your knowledge and history about RU FB and BB.

Tell me how the Grentz-CVS transition happened in your recollection of the facts.

We know that Grentz wanted additional resources for WBB that Fred was withholding and that she was due for a new contract at the time in 1995. Weren’t you a RU student around that time?

Tell us how it happened.

Anyone who read her book might've cut her a little slack on her struggles the past few years. She's one of the best ever, both as a coach and a human being, and I'm proud to have the court named after her.
You don't sign a 5 yr. $5.5 mil. guaranteed compensation contract then 7 days later decide to never show up for your job. That was a deliberate act, she didn't find out 7 days later she wouldn't be able to coach. That was my only problem with her.

Last edited:
They paid Stringer around a million plus bonuses for not coaching last year.
She deceived all the players that committed to her and the program, while not being truthful about her future, and protecting her privacy. 👎🏿
And now, they want to name the RAC / Jersey Mike’s after her and forgo the naming rights money from Jersey Mike’s? Lots of wasted money in my opinion! Who’s responsible for that? And…
How many NCAA championships did she win?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
She deceived all the players that committed to her and the program, while not being truthful about her future, and protecting her privacy. 👎🏿
And now, they want to name the RAC / Jersey Mike’s after her and forgo the naming rights money from Jersey Mike’s? Lots of wasted money in my opinion! Who’s responsible for that? And…
Was Jersey Mikes willing to sponsor the floor at the RAC as well as the arena name? If so then it’s something we’d like to know more about.

Was Jersey Mikes willing to sponsor the floor at the RAC as well as the arena name? If so then it’s something we’d like to know more about.

It's hard to tell if it's just a lack of reading comprehension ability or willing disregarding the actual words in front of them.

Nobody said anything about renaming the building for her and losing sponsorship money.

Can't think of a single field/court with a sponsor separate from the building.
It's usually always named about a person.

"Pepsi Field at FedEx Stadium"???

Reactions: SBP
It's hard to tell if it's just a lack of reading comprehension ability or willing disregarding the actual words in front of them.

Nobody said anything about renaming the building for her and losing sponsorship money.

Can't think of a single field/court with a sponsor separate from the building.
It's usually always named about a person.

"Pepsi Field at FedEx Stadium"???
Everything is for sale to advertisers. Building, court, locker rooms, concourses, private boxes.

The Rutgers bench, sponsored by ABC Electric Company.

Doesnt MLB already do this? The 2-1 pitch, brought to you by Arizona Ice Tea.

Reactions: NickRU714
They’re not renaming the arena after her; it will remain Jersey Mike’s Arena. They are putting her name on the court itself.

Yes we can talk about CVS retiring. Good lord.. pretty big news and the court will be named after

Mod go take a powder and let us discuss
Not worthy of the honor. Needed to win a NC for that. And this is regardless of how her career ended.

bac,

I respect your knowledge and history about RU FB and BB.

Tell me how the Grentz-CVS transition happened in your recollection of the facts.

We know that Grentz wanted additional resources for WBB that Fred was withholding and that she was due for a new contract at the time in 1995. Weren’t you a RU student around that time?

Tell us how it happened.
as a high school kid I started listening to WCTC Wicks and Sticks and although I did not go to games as a student I was really keeping track of their games and watching on cablevision or TKR channel 8...some of those games you can find on youtube now. RU made it to two straight elite 8s was a perennial Eastern 8/A10 contender along with Penn State and also GW/SJU had good programs but clearly PSU and RU was the rivalry. I believe PSU had the better of RU in the national polls. RU was usual a first round winner in the ncaa tourney but would end up getting beat by the new guard of the sports by the time the late 80s closed. RU appared to be waning somewhat on the national scale. Somewhat similar to the success that CVS had in the 2000s. RU was still winning games and making tourmaments but nationally their star was diminished and they were not staying pace with the top programs...an unlikely ice storm win over #1 Tennnessee at the RAC non withstanding. Also recruiting seemed to drop off. Grentz was pretty adapt at having a great power forward that would lead the team. They were less and less highly touted. Her last season at 17-13 saw RU losing to Seton Hall in the tip off and then losing to the likes of St Bonnies and URI and getting thumped by Penn St 100-58..that was almost unheard of. 17-13 saved by a strong finish after a 5-10 start. Sure every coach is entitled to one bad year. Grentz could have stayed. You are right she did clash with Fred but I find it preposterous that she wanted to be AD at RU..remember Fred was trying to get RU football up on all legs and also eyeing the Big East hoops invite. Sorry if womens hoops was going to be put on the backburner. Teresa probably saw that and quietly left. This was not about Fran Lawrence pushing her out to make an African American hire. CVS was so qualified. It was a godsend that RU got her. Amazingly we offered, put up the money and she came.

Grentz meanwhile struggled her first year at Illinois, then with some RU recruits following her like Sheeler, Blauser and Martin the latter two who struggled in CVS first year she won a Big 10 title and got to some NCAA tourneys but after about 4 years of solid success, her teams in Illinois became very mediocre and she made only one NCAA over her next 7 years.

Grentz had incredible success at RU yet CVS gave the program way more visibility and brought it into the next century. Grentz was never going to have CVS scale success at RU again with her system which was suited for the 80s. Just as CVS was never going to have the scale of success during her heyday in most of the 2010s to retirement.

as a high school kid I started listening to WCTC Wicks and Sticks and although I did not go to games as a student I was really keeping track of their games and watching on cablevision or TKR channel 8...some of those games you can find on youtube now. RU made it to two straight elite 8s was a perennial Eastern 8/A10 contender along with Penn State and also GW/SJU had good programs but clearly PSU and RU was the rivalry. I believe PSU had the better of RU in the national polls. RU was usual a first round winner in the ncaa tourney but would end up getting beat by the new guard of the sports by the time the late 80s closed. RU appared to be waning somewhat on the national scale. Somewhat similar to the success that CVS had in the 2000s. RU was still winning games and making tourmaments but nationally their star was diminished and they were not staying pace with the top programs...an unlikely ice storm win over #1 Tennnessee at the RAC non withstanding. Also recruiting seemed to drop off. Grentz was pretty adapt at having a great power forward that would lead the team. They were less and less highly touted. Her last season at 17-13 saw RU losing to Seton Hall in the tip off and then losing to the likes of St Bonnies and URI and getting thumped by Penn St 100-58..that was almost unheard of. 17-13 saved by a strong finish after a 5-10 start. Sure every coach is entitled to one bad year. Grentz could have stayed. You are right she did clash with Fred but I find it preposterous that she wanted to be AD at RU..remember Fred was trying to get RU football up on all legs and also eyeing the Big East hoops invite. Sorry if womens hoops was going to be put on the backburner. Teresa probably saw that and quietly left. This was not about Fran Lawrence pushing her out to make an African American hire. CVS was so qualified. It was a godsend that RU got her. Amazingly we offered, put up the money and she came.

Grentz meanwhile struggled her first year at Illinois, then with some RU recruits following her like Sheeler, Blauser and Martin the latter two who struggled in CVS first year she won a Big 10 title and got to some NCAA tourneys but after about 4 years of solid success, her teams in Illinois became very mediocre and she made only one NCAA over her next 7 years.

Grentz had incredible success at RU yet CVS gave the program way more visibility and brought it into the next century. Grentz was never going to have CVS scale success at RU again with her system which was suited for the 80s. Just as CVS was never going to have the scale of success during her heyday in most of the 2010s to retirement.
bac,

What about the student protests against Lawrence for his racist remarks at the faculty meeting that almost got him fired? You don’t mention that. I have receipts that Lawrence sought to hire a Black WBB coach to plead his case that he wasn’t a racist.

Who said that Grentz wanted to be the AD? She reported to Fred and Fred reported to Lawrence. Lawrence was directly involved in the hiring of BB and FB coaches Kevin Bannon and Terry Shea. He interviewed both of them and gave Fred the orders to hire them. When Lawrence saw that CVS was available he jumped at the chance to hire her to save his own skin. And it worked because she was fully qualified for the job.

Grentz teams had gone to 9 straight NCAA tournaments before a single 17-13 season in 94-95. That was enough to fonce her out? That doesn’t add up, especially at RU.

Last edited:
Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT