ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think China has a vaccine that just entered Phase II the other week and is currently in the lead. Moderna is close behind though and just got $500mil to help.

China's program was just approved for Phase 1. I could be wrong but I don't think they have started dosing humans yet.

Personally, I don't understand how she didn't just say, "Oh for f*ck's sake..." and walk out.
If I were sitting in that chair that would be my first thought, but they probably realize there need to be a few adults in the room at all times,

Reactions: albanyknight
China's program was just approved for Phase 1. I could be wrong but I don't think they have started dosing humans yet.
Prediction : if China gets a working vaccine first how many countries will they hold hostage? or ... will they share it with the West and the US...

I have a few old used ones in my shop too. They are certainly not is a condition that any health care worker would want. With that said, I have been hesitant to wear them out of the house for fear of N95 shaming. You surgical mask over top is a good idea.
I have several used ones too. I wear them everywhere and see lots of others wearing them as well. There’s no shame, please wear them as they protect everyone better than the surgical or homemade masks.

Just saw an update where France had to restrict the buying of nicotine patches after the news of this study came out. Basically people are limited to month's supply. Maybe cheaper/easier to buy a pack/carton and actually smoke.

Reactions: soundcrib
I think China has a vaccine that just entered Phase II the other week and is currently in the lead. Moderna is close behind though and just got $500mil to help.

Seems strange that China ended the Gilead study so abruptly - Not a big enough sample and the study population was the extremely sick.

The knee jerk reaction was that they did not want an American company to win this battle.

Strange more so how WHO backed this - curious if there are more details here.

Reactions: LC-88 and T2Kplus10
Just saw an update where France had to restrict the buying of nicotine patches after the news of this study came out. Basically people are limited to month's supply. Maybe cheaper/easier to buy a pack/carton and actually smoke.
From BBC:

France has banned the online sale of nicotine products and limited their sale in pharmacies, after researchers suggested that nicotine may play a role in protecting against coronavirus.

The new rules cover products like nicotine gum and patches, designed to help people stop smoking.

Last week, data from a Paris hospital indicated that smokers were statistically less likely to be admitted for treatment for Covid-19.

Trials are set to continue in France.

France has reported nearly 22,000 coronavirus-related deaths since the start of the outbreak earlier this year.

The government's chief health official said the study was interesting but warned that smoking killed 75,000 people a year in France.

The official also warned that smokers who did become infected with coronavirus tended to have more serious symptoms.

Seems strange that China ended the Gilead study so abruptly - Not a big enough sample and the study population was the extremely sick.

The knee jerk reaction was that they did not want an American company to win this battle.

Yeah they apparently ended the Gilead remdesivir study due to no users, but I think the real reason leaked the other day that it just wasn’t working well. We’ll see if the American Gilead study says any difference...

From BBC:

France has banned the online sale of nicotine products and limited their sale in pharmacies, after researchers suggested that nicotine may play a role in protecting against coronavirus.

The new rules cover products like nicotine gum and patches, designed to help people stop smoking.

Last week, data from a Paris hospital indicated that smokers were statistically less likely to be admitted for treatment for Covid-19.

Trials are set to continue in France.

France has reported nearly 22,000 coronavirus-related deaths since the start of the outbreak earlier this year.

The government's chief health official said the study was interesting but warned that smoking killed 75,000 people a year in France.

The official also warned that smokers who did become infected with coronavirus tended to have more serious symptoms.
It would be the ultimate irony if it turned out that smoking really protected against coronavirus infection. Can I sue all my doctors over the years who've encouraged me NOT to smoke?

Imagine if it turns out to be as simple as a nicotine patch that allows us all to go back to normal lives.

It would be the ultimate irony if it turned out that smoking really protected against coronavirus infection. Can I sue all my doctors over the years who've encouraged me NOT to smoke?

Imagine if it turns out to be as simple as a nicotine patch that allows us all to go back to normal lives.
That would be the ultimate irony. ACS is probably like, WTF?!

Even significantly lower quality masks than an N95 can be quite beneficial.

If you're wearing a mask that has, let's say, only 40% effectiveness against spreading the virus and I'm wearing a mask that has, let's say, only a 20% effectiveness against receiving the virus from others, that would cut in half the probability of you transmitting the virus to me versus neither of us wearing any mask at all.
In theory, I agree - it's just that clinical studies in hospitals have shown very little benefit in protection from getting an infection from patients, presumably, by wearing surgical masks. Perhaps the protection is better in social settings, where the degree of risk is likely lower than in a hospital.

Looks-Like-I-Picked-The-Wrong-Week-To-Quit-Smoking.jpg

10,000 infections in NYC on 3/1?, more on Pueyo article, and why, again, testing is so critical...

More on the Pueyo "Learning to Dance" article in Medium and today's Times article showing a Northeastern University analysis that NYC likely had 10,000 infections as early as 3/1 (and the rest of the US was far more infected than thought, also); these dovetail with the NYC subway analysis above, too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Feel like I've been screaming for weeks about how our lack of early, aggressive testing capability was the most important element in letting this outbreak get way out of control, especially in the the NYC metro area (<200 tests in NY through 3/6!). If NYC had 10,000 infections by 3/1, as per this new analysis of the data, that's roughly 1000 per 1MM in population and as I've noted a few times, some experts believe that aggressive interventions need to be in place before 200 cases per 1MM in order to control an outbreak.

And the only way to know if you have an exponentially growing outbreak is to have aggressive early testing (like South Korea and Taiwan had) and the US was so far from that it's sad, given the testing debacle. I have been saying we needed to be in lockdown starting early March, but this analysis probably says it should have been late February, when we weren't even testing and had no data and no way would anyone have supported shutting anything down without data. Yes, NY (and NJ) now lead the world in tests per 1MM, but that's only because we started so late in the outbreak and our testing was always playing catch up to the outbreak.

The graphic below from Pueyo's "Learning to Dance" Medium article shows how important early testing is to get ahead of an outbreak, as reflected in the low % of positive tests in countries like SK, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. The US number is bad, but the NY/NJ area numbers are far worse as our area was in the 40-50% of tests being positive for weeks at the height of the outbreak, as we were so far behind. The second graphic shows where various countries are on the "hammer" (heavy social distancing to control major outbreaks) vs. the "dance" (relaxing harsh social distancing in a careful way to avoid a second outbreak) - and we're clearly nowhere near ready to "relax" social distancing yet, based on that curve, even in states with less of an outbreak, so far, vs. the worst states.

Coronavirus: Learning How to Dance

And one more time, but if we had done what South Korea had done (and Seoul is almost as densely populated as NYC, so don't say it's not possible), we could probably be near their 5 deaths/1MM and not the 144 deaths/1MM in the US - or sadly the ~1000 deaths/1MM we have in NY or ~500 deaths/1MM in NJ. Even at 10 deaths per 1MM, that would be 3300 in the US vs. the ~47,000 we have now (and 200 in NY vs. the ~20,000 we have now).

I know none of this solves the problem of what to do now, but it should at least shout at people/politicians to not repeat this mistake across the country by relaxing social distancing without having massive testing and efficient contact tracing/quarantining and a mask culture in place. Repeating the folly we just went through would be Einstein's classic definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Minor comment: I do think the Northeastern study probably overstates SF's outbreak (9300 on 3/1) relative to NYC's (10,700 on 3/1), since the outcomes diverged so heavily after that, with SF having much less of an epidemic and far less deaths. I don't think their 3/15 shelter-in-place order (vs. NY's on 3/22, even though NYC had shut schools, restaurants, bars and such by 3/16) should have made that much of a difference in outcomes. But that's arguing minutiae vs. the big picture of there likely being major outbreaks underway by mid/late February. Also, as per the subway/mass transit study, the far greater population density and "mixing/contacts" of commuters in NYC would drive a much faster outbreak vs. SF, as has been seen.

PNSua8s.png

zFDuvGs.png

In light of the retrospective epidemiological analysis showing 10,000 cases in NYC as of 3/1, Cuomo made a couple of related, interesting comments today. He noted that from Jan 1st to 3/16, when the very late European travel ban went into effect, 2.2 million people arrived in NYC/NJ airports from Europe, where 2/3 of our area's viruses came from.

That's a huge number compared to everywhere else in the US, as far more flights from Europe come into NY/NJ than anywhere else; add on top of that the very high density regional commuting patterns (subways, buses and trains) and we have all the ingredients for explosive growth of the outbreak.

To illustrate how fast that was, relatively speaking, NY went from 1 cases/1MM to 100 cases/1MM between 3/10 and 3/18 (8 days) and NJ had that same growth from 3/10 to 3/19 (9 days), while it took Italy from 2/22-3/8 (15 days) and California from 3/10 to 3/27 (17 days) and for all of these cases, almost all of that growth was before any serious lockdowns were put in place (except for CA which did its lockdown on 3/16, but lockdowns don't usually show any benefit for at least a week, given the long incubation time from infection to symptoms). Lack of testing + high influx of infected + high density + high density commuting = the recipe for the worst outbreak in the world, right here in the NYC Metro area.

In hindsight, it's obvious our area should've started its lockdown by 3/1 at the latest, but with the Federal testing debacle, we had zero tests run before 3/1 and <200 tests run thru 3/7, so we were flying blind. Without any testing data, it would have been impossible to convince people that we needed to shut down based on very few cases and no deaths in NY until 3/14 (and one in NJ on 3/10, but not a 2nd one until 3/14), since deaths lag infections by 2-4 weeks, typically.

Cuomo also noted that NY acted faster from first case (3/1) to shutdown (3/19) than any other state (WA and CA shut down several days earlier, but had their first cases by late Jan), which I didn't realize, so he will now get a little bit more of a pass on not starting their lockdown earlier from me.

Hopefully the final nail in the chloroquine coffin (and maybe the hydroxychloroquine coffin, too, as it also has effects on the heart).

Citing a “primary outcome” of death, researchers cut short a study testing anti-malaria drug chloroquine as a potential treatment for Covid-19 after some patients developed irregular heart rates and nearly two dozen of them died after taking doses of the drug daily.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/24/cor...roquine-study-short-over-safety-concerns.html

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/borba_2020_oi_200372%20(1).pdf

+1
Real clinical trials are looking more optimistic. I would take the China "study" with a grain of salt.

Reactions: RUBOB72
I have a few old used ones in my shop too. They are certainly not is a condition that any health care worker would want. With that said, I have been hesitant to wear them out of the house for fear of N95 shaming. You surgical mask over top is a good idea.
Hmm, just realized that the 3 masks I have had in my toolbox for the past 10 years are 3M N95 masks for painting, sanding, and other construction work. Yikes. I have been wearing one since it was mandated, but at least the N95 label is very small. Never noticed it until now. Do masks expire? I assume no.

Hopefully the final nail in the chloroquine coffin (and maybe the hydroxychloroquine coffin, too, as it also has effects on the heart).

Citing a “primary outcome” of death, researchers cut short a study testing anti-malaria drug chloroquine as a potential treatment for Covid-19 after some patients developed irregular heart rates and nearly two dozen of them died after taking doses of the drug daily.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/24/cor...roquine-study-short-over-safety-concerns.html

Why do you hope this is the nail in the coffin for these drugs? It seems to me that if the clinical trials prove they work a cheap available drug would have been nice. Anyway, from the study: “One can only conclude from this trial that high-dose chloroquine (and by close association, hydroxychloroquine) in combination and azithromycin and possibly oseltamivir, is potentially associated with increased mortality among patients with severe, suspected COVID-19,”

So it looks as if they were testing on severe COVID patients. I believe we are waiting on a number of studies looking at patients in the non severe stage.

Why do you hope this is the nail in the coffin for these drugs? It seems to me that if the clinical trials prove they work a cheap available drug would have been nice. Anyway, from the study: “One can only conclude from this trial that high-dose chloroquine (and by close association, hydroxychloroquine) in combination and azithromycin and possibly oseltamivir, is potentially associated with increased mortality among patients with severe, suspected COVID-19,”

So it looks as if they were testing on severe COVID patients. I believe we are waiting on a number of studies looking at patients in the non severe stage.
Because I'm mostly convinced, by now, that HCQ is ineffective for COVID and I'd rather see precious clinical time spent on potentially more promising drugs. I never "hoped" it wasn't effective at all, but that ship has largely sailed, although we do need to wait for the more definitive controlled clinical trials to be sure of that.

Reactions: Kbee3

Because he hates Trump

Because I'm mostly convinced, by now, that HCQ is ineffective for COVID and I'd rather see precious clinical time spent on potentially more promising drugs. I never "hoped" it wasn't effective at all, but that ship has largely sailed, although we do need to wait for the more definitive controlled clinical trials to be sure of that.

Without clinical trials how do we know ship has sailed?

Reactions: ATIOH and T2Kplus10
Because he hates Trump
Read my post above for your answer. Has nothing to do with Trump. I want to see a successful treatment in the worst way, but I also don't want to keep wasting time on HCQ/CQ which simply don't look to be very effective and have significant side effects - there are a ton of other treatments out there to be tried...

Without clinical trials how do we know ship has sailed?
Because if HCQ was even moderately effective, the uncontrolled trials to date should've shown that by now (they're not useless - they're just not as definitive as controlled trials), plus the fact that it's been given to over half of patients and we haven't seen a decrease in hospitalization/death rates vs. cases tells me it ain't moving the needle (in fact the case fatality rate continues to increase in most locations).

I just got back from Costco and a young woman (I'd say mid 20's) had her mask around her chin. Just about every customer who passed her told her to put her mask up. She didn't.
I just got back from Costco and a young woman (I'd say mid 20's) had her mask around her chin. Just about every customer who passed her told her to put her mask up. She didn't.

You have to stay away from stores that cater to people that shop like there’s a pandemic during non pandemic times. Not the sharpest tools in the box.

GO RU

Came across an interesting webinar/panel discussion involving about 5 NYC area ER/ICU doctors. They talk about their experiences so far with covid including how they had to adapt/adjust their ERs to handle the deluge of patients.. Lots of highly technical stuff about ventilators. One of the doctors is currently covid positive and dealing with that at home.

First 5 minutes can be skipped, the real discussion starts at about that point.

BTW, I didn't know that David Spade was an ER doctor...

https://www.emra.org/be-involved/committees/critical-care-committee/#cccovidvideo

Reactions: RU848789
Prediction : if China gets a working vaccine first how many countries will they hold hostage? or ... will they share it with the West and the US...
They will charge a pile of cash for each dose that would make US pharma execs jealous.

I declare today the day of days
Practicing medicine for 35 years now, and I have never seen so many people in one 24-hour period who are completely frightened out of their minds. I mean almost non-functional. I have never seen anything like it. We are now entering the PTSD phase which comes after the cytochrome storm phase.
Can I ask who you are referring too? Patients, co-workers, grocery store employees, etc?

WHO = China. People on the Princess (Japan) were treated with Remdesivir, many recovered. First case in Washington state, Lat in NYC and lacrosse kid that was in an induced coma and recovered were all given Remdesivir. Coincidence? WHO/China trying to kill something that might actually help. Leaked draft docs from WHO.

They will charge a pile of cash for each dose that would make US pharma execs jealous.
Shhhh.... don’t even hint at that possibility ....there are some here who will wish foryou to have “ a stake driven through your brain “ compliments of RU4Real an arrogant and deceitful RU fan...this someone who copies and pastes every article in the media told me to do ...Definitely can see this coming about in a worse case Scenario...much more proof will come out in the coming months about China and actually what they did not what they claim about how and where it started.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac

Let the pros decide what is precious clinical time.

Numbers the anti-HCQ Brazil study is no more legitimate than the pro HCQ study done in France. They both dont pass mustard of a robust clinical trial. CNBC is being disingenuous blaming cardiac AEs on HCQ. Fact is nobody knows. The patients also received Z-Pack and Z-Pack is KNOWN to have cardiac AEs. Could have been Z-Pack for all we know plus they were severe patients. We already discussed ad nauseam that severe patients in cytokine storm will not be helped by an anti-viral. Let's wait for the large trials to conclude then we can judge HCQ good or bad.

Also, for altruistic reasons, cheap meds like HCQ and chlroquine will be helpful for countries with bad or non-existent healthcare systems. Do you think plasma therapy or even remdesivir would be viable in a country like Angola?

Last edited:

Thats why I think a vaccine will happen sooner than later. Trump can’t let China beat us. He’s going to fast track everything and throw a lot of money to people who are willing to infect themselves with Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT