ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way economic dislocation is not one dimensional. Gyms closed but people went out and purchased their own equipment, hired personal trainers, some even saved the money for other uses.

It is not a zero sum game.

It is a shame but events have impacted businesses forever and for every business that is negatively impacted there is usually a chance for someone else to benefit.
lol

Good points on the Rt declines in FL/TX/GA/AZ. Also, AZ cases are down and FL/TX look to be starting to decline, but GA is still increasing or at best plateauing and 29 states, mostly in the S/W, but not all, are still increasing in cases and most states still have Rt > 1, meaning cases are likely growing.

The "dark matter" theory is interesting, but it does not quite make sense when fairly large populations (like whole sections of NYC/London/Bergamo are showing 40-65% infected, via antibody testing, and with infection fatality ratios in the 0.5-1.0% range, which, in theory, should be significantly reduced if most of those 40-65% infected were not impacted significantly. I don't think there's "proof" either way right now, which is why I think we need to continue trying to greatly reduce transmissions until we have a cure/vaccine.

https://rt.live/

CDXZtA7.png
Good points on the Rt declines in FL/TX/GA/AZ. Also, AZ cases are down and FL/TX look to be starting to decline, but GA is still increasing or at best plateauing and 29 states, mostly in the S/W, but not all, are still increasing in cases and most states still have Rt > 1, meaning cases are likely growing.

The "dark matter" theory is interesting, but it does not quite make sense when fairly large populations (like whole sections of NYC/London/Bergamo are showing 40-65% infected, via antibody testing, and with infection fatality ratios in the 0.5-1.0% range, which, in theory, should be significantly reduced if most of those 40-65% infected were not impacted significantly. I don't think there's "proof" either way right now, which is why I think we need to continue trying to greatly reduce transmissions until we have a cure/vaccine.

https://rt.live/

CDXZtA7.png
Asked above in another post, but not in reply to you. Do you know why Hawaii is in such bad shape right now after lockdown and strict mask policies? Please forgive the source of the link in the tweet, as it came up in my twitter feed after doing a search. I am not looking to bicker or start trouble. Just trying to understand what went wrong in Hawaii?

Asked above in another post, but not in reply to you. Do you know why Hawaii is in such bad shape right now after lockdown and strict mask policies? Please forgive the source of the link in the tweet, as it came up in my twitter feed after doing a search. I am not looking to bicker or start trouble. Just trying to understand what went wrong in Hawaii?

Horowitz alert @ArminRU @RU848789 @fsg2

I would bet it's from people getting lax with their mask wearing and distancing.

virus going to virus is the answer, it will make you feel better to say peeps not wearing masks in the strictest state but reality says otherwise
lmao, ya man it's just destiny, nothing we can do to stop it or slow it down or make it worse, we are not in control only 5g is.

Reactions: fsg2
lmao, ya man it's just destiny, nothing we can do to stop it or slow it down or make it worse, we are not in control only 5g is.

Literally the weakest possible thing you could say. Humanity would have been eradicated thousands of years ago if anyone but weak-minded cat ladies thought that way.

Reactions: Greg2020
I’m sure you hear that all the time, but the numbers don’t lie. Retail is down and people don’t miss it that much.

obviously brick & mortar retail is down overall... So many places were closed.... But hardware and other essential all posted record sales for the 2nd qtr...

The article is tragic. I've mentioned in this forum that I am involved in the real estate sector. I have regular calls with big US banks and large RE firms (CBRE, JLL, Cushman). The outlook for this sector may be pretty bad. I saw a report that almost 50% of retail tenants haven't been paying rent since April. And my banking guys have said they have spent the last four months beefing up their cash positions in anticipation of a wave of RE defaults once stimulus runs out.

RE is a real sector of the US economy. This isn't bars and restaurants and gyms we are talking about. Anything close to a repeat of '09 would have further catastrophic impact to the US economy.
Commercial real estate in the smell retail/restaurant and office space will just be crushed. We have tought people to cook for themselves and shop online. Start with the World Trade Center complex and they will never be anywhere near 50% full. Start turning those buildings into condos.

What? This post is beyond awful. Makes no sense at all.

it means the virus is going to spread despite people trying to go through all the precautions....Hawaii has been one of the strictest mask states around. But oh wait we keep hearing its red states causing us not to play football

its means that the mask thing cannot be used as explanations everytime there is a spread, ask questions, coronavirus does what it wants and we are still playing catchup and trying to figure it out

Why lol?

Have you seen what peloton stock is doing? What @tom1944 posted is exactly what people are doing. I bought a treadmill, yoga mats and blocks, some weights and did some work in my basement back in April. Now that is where I work out. I used to pay a couple hundred bucks a month to a gym and now I do it at home.

As soon as it is prudent I likely will go back to my gym, but not now and I want to workout. Peloton stock has doubled in six months. Who do you think is buying the machines and subscriptions?

screen-shot-2019-12-04-at-83020-am.png

I've been saying this from day 1.

"You can’t place a tarp, a mask, or a lockdown in front of a virus, the same way you can’t arrest the movement of a hurricane; you must deal with it with a healthy and functioning society.”

Reactions: bac2therac
Why lol?

Have you seen what peloton stock is doing? What @tom1944 posted is exactly what people are doing. I bought a treadmill, yoga mats and blocks, some weights and did some work in my basement back in April. Now that is where I work out. I used to pay a couple hundred bucks a month to a gym and now I do it at home.

As soon as it is prudent I likely will go back to my gym, but not now and I want to workout. Peloton stock has doubled in six months. Who do you think is buying the machines and subscriptions?

screen-shot-2019-12-04-at-83020-am.png
I'd rather gain 200 pounds and die than be like one of the silly people in a Peloton commercial. I guess if you live in a city, it's a thing, but if you live in the suburbs, why not ride a bike outdoors?

Reactions: thegock
I ask again, what's not open? What can't you do? You guys won. And this is the level of economic activity that is going to be. Or are you suggesting the government needs to force me to open my office, hire back workers and build more construction projects?

wow..whats not open....omg you are out of touch

I'd rather gain 200 pounds and die than be like one of the silly people in a Peloton commercial. I guess if you live in a city, it's a thing, but if you live in the suburbs, why not ride a bike outdoors?

I live in the suburbs. My schedule usually lets me workout at about 5am or 6am. And I really don't think ill be back in my gym this winter.

I ask again, what's not open? What can't you do? You guys won. And this is the level of economic activity that is going to be. Or are you suggesting the government needs to force me to open my office, hire back workers and build more construction projects?
I'm not sure you are quoting the right post. Who is "you guys won?" I rarely come in this thread, because I don't want to get involved in the bickering. My post was a specific question about why Hawaii is in such bad shape, and there are still no answers.

I live in the suburbs. My schedule usually lets me workout at about 5am or 6am. And I really don't think ill be back in my gym this winter.

we all can make our own risk assessments on the gym, why is ny and nyc the only ones seemingly holding out forever and I know that some gyms in spiking states have closed but i would bet alot that they will reopen before anything in NJ

I'm not sure you are quoting the right post. Who is "you guys won?" I rarely come in this thread, because I don't want to get involved in the bickering. My post was a specific question about why Hawaii is in such bad shape, and there are still no answers.

I like that you ask questions, more Americans should

Reactions: Knight Shift

My apologies. I'll delete my post.

I'm not mocking Peloton people. Their ads just rub me the wrong way and scream "this is for privileged and beautiful people!" Maybe I should talk to someone about being triggered by Peloton commercials. [roll]

To your point though- I really loved my old crossfit style gym and the sense of community. It was motivation to go, because when you missed a few days, people would start asking about you in a nice way. However, I figured out after the layoff that a lot of the moves, especially the box jumps and other moves were putting a lot of strain on my heels. I went through several shoes and orthopedic inserts while I was doing the gym. After several months of no gym and moving to riding my bike and doing body weight exercises in our home gym, my heels are healed. And I don't have a need to go to a gym and share equipment when I have everything I need in my basement. A lot can be done with an aerdyne, rings, a pullup bar and and an assortment of dumbells.

I've been saying this from day 1.

"You can’t place a tarp, a mask, or a lockdown in front of a virus, the same way you can’t arrest the movement of a hurricane; you must deal with it with a healthy and functioning society.”

Not surprising since it's factually incorrect on its face and even worse in its implications.

I have weights. It is not the same
Indoor Gyms are open in 49 states, there is no reason why I dont have the option to go to the gym

This makes 3 times. You do have the option. You just choose to cry instead of exercising it.

Actually Peloton is used by many road riders. It is one of the best training tools ever invented. If not the best. Classes vary upon goals. Best of all it has a competitive component to it and you can use your outdoor road bike to use it. There are many Peloton Facebook's groups that have encouraged many indoor riders to ride outdoors. Additionally, the one I belong too is a great source of information and encouragement. And I don't even have Peloton. I use a Nautilus training system.
Peloton system is a major reason you can't buy a bike in the U.S. Cycling has never been more popular.

Actually Peloton is used by many road riders. It is one of the best training tools ever invented. If not the best. Classes vary upon goals. Best of all it has a competitive component to it and you can use your outdoor road bike to use it. There are many Peloton Facebook's groups that have encouraged many indoor riders to ride outdoors. Additionally, the one I belong too is a great source of information and encouragement. And I don't even have Peloton. I use a Nautilus training system.
Peloton system is a major reason you can't buy a bike in the U.S. Cycling has never been more popular.
The things I learn on this board will never end. Very interesting. And cool. Maybe I should get over those commercials already.

No it's not. Everything we have went through hasn't stop anything 5 months later.

It definitely slowed it and prevented it from overwhelming the healthcare system. And if you put yourself in complete lockdown and/or wore an N.99 mask, you'd keep the virus from infecting you.

Nothing like a hurricane. Horrific analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT