ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.

And also for those seeking to deflect negative attention away from the fact that our national leadership, instead of doing what could be done to prepare, did very little at all from December 2019 until March 2020 when the virus slammed into the northeast United States. Or for those wishing to deflect attention away from the ongoing bizarre and inconsistent messaging being put out by our national leadership.

It saddens me greatly to think of all the lives that might have been saved simply by having engaged with various businesses to get a head-start on producing more masks and disinfecting supplies, to say nothing of having had a 3-month full-court press on research into the virus back then.

Even if China had intentionally weaponized a virus to release upon itself and the world (a logically and, so far at least, factually indefensible bit of paranoid conjecture), the United States still had months to respond and prepare before things got so bad in March.

And our response was pathetic. Can't deflect away from that reality.

In addition to saving countless lives, the extent of economic damage would surely have been limited in duration and scale, and we might already be in the midst of a partial economic recovery (limited only by a global economy we cannot fully control) by now instead of arguing over adding a 3rd trillion to the 2 trillion in new national debt caused by COVID-19 and our national leadership's failed approach to managing the crisis.

The whole thing is sad. I hope that people stop deflecting and starting leaning from the mistakes so that when the next virus rolls around, we're better prepared.
I don’t see the incentive for China in spreading a pandemic; that doesn’t rule out a lab accident, but it does rule out a conspiracy to intentionally spread it globally.

China benefits from a weakened United States, but it does not benefit from worldwide animosity. The logical downside of a global pandemic with roots in China is a world that feels more attached to US leadership.

As it turns out the US has struggled massively with its own credibility issues through this, and so you have China / the US / everybody else rather than China vs the world. This is a curious outcome that probably amuses China, but even with Trump in office I don’t think they would have gambled on it.

The attacks against China have been far and in between with the preponderance of initial anger tilted more toward the USA and it’s decision to abandon Treaties and Economic agreements established over several administrations. Europe fears the possible wrath of China as they now realize their dependence as a whole is in jeopardy. Whether or not it was a laboratory accident or a derived plan in order to destabilize the world and the USA in general will someday be known. The narrative that , it was not a possibility
and China would never initiate such a thing requires one to trust their past historical history. We spend too much time in this country believing China’s goal is a peaceful one. If it where peaceful ,in looking back , why did they not share the virus’s genome structure at the time of initial infections. I don’t believe I have seen any reason as to their lack of transparency with regard to the reason.

Yeah, beacuse the "loyal opposition" was uber focused on this virus from December to March.
smh
If you feel that way, then the logical course of action would be to not vote for ANY of the people in leadership positions, from the president on down to your local mayor, regardless of party affiliations.

I’d point out, however, that some of the efforts that should have taken place could only realistically have occurred with the support of the president and/or Congress. Seeing as how this virus doesn’t respect state or municipal borders.

Easy.

I really have no expertise to offer in guessing natural or lab, other than to say lab accident isn’t surprising.

What seems a bridge too far for me is the idea that the Chinese government intentionally sought to spread it. Natural or lab-born; what seems more plausible is a steadfast belief that they could carry on with normal life and economic activity without disruption. (Not unlike belief here among both parties that we didn’t have to shut things down until it was blatantly obvious that’s what we had to do—when it’s blatantly obvious, you’re too late).

Shutting down the country for Chinese New Years, and closing off Wuhan before some events that were important for the local economy were somewhat unthinkable — it was easier to believe this thing could still be controlled.

The CCP actually has openly discussed the use of biological weapons as a first strike option during party meetings in the past. In fact, this is the primary first strike option the CCP would utilize as the CCP is aware they are not peers with the US/West in terms of military hardware (conventional or nuclear). For maximum effect/plausible deniability the delivery plan would be most effective when teed up as a possible leak or naturally evolved strain.

IF this was a planned release by the CCP it would likely achieve three primary objectives:

-Destabilize the US/West both economically and militarily. Militarily the outbreak will prevent the West from undergoing mass mobilization and major troop deployments.

-Full assimilation of Hong Kong into the PRC. During the early stages of the virus the CCP sent military units into HK to set up field medical facilities. These troops are still deployed in the city. Then came the National Security Law. Now the CCP has banned elections within HK saying they are too dangerous to hold while the virus is around. HK is now fully integrated into the PRC and this objective has been met.

-Full Assimilation of Taiwan into the PRC. With the west unable to effectively counter an invasion of Taiwan short of a retaliatory nuclear strike, the CCP would be able to launch an invasion relatively unopposed into Taiwanese territory. PLA strategy would hedge on the assumption the US would not want to enter into a limited nuclear exchange over Taiwan (and they would likely be correct in this assumption). This will be the key area to watch over the next 6 months.

What's with all the duplicate posts recently???:eek:
The site (or a network segment between some of us and the site) was is experiencing some performance hiccups. That causes the UI to hang up when submitting a post. So people don't know if their post was properly submitted or not and they try to resubmit the post.

Seems resolved for me now.

Last edited:
The CCP actually has openly discussed the use of biological weapons as a first strike option during party meetings in the past. In fact, this is the primary first strike option the CCP would utilize as the CCP is aware they are not peers with the US/West in terms of military hardware (conventional or nuclear). For maximum effect/plausible deniability the delivery plan would be most effective when teed up as a possible leak or naturally evolved strain.

IF this was a planned release by the CCP it would likely achieve three primary objectives:

-Destabilize the US/West both economically and militarily. Militarily the outbreak will prevent the West from undergoing mass mobilization and major troop deployments.

-Full assimilation of Hong Kong into the PRC. During the early stages of the virus the CCP sent military units into HK to set up field medical facilities. These troops are still deployed in the city. Then came the National Security Law. Now the CCP has banned elections within HK saying they are too dangerous to hold while the virus is around. HK is now fully integrated into the PRC and this objective has been met.

-Full Assimilation of Taiwan into the PRC. With the west unable to effectively counter an invasion of Taiwan short of a retaliatory nuclear strike, the CCP would be able to launch an invasion relatively unopposed into Taiwanese territory. PLA strategy would hedge on the assumption the US would not want to enter into a limited nuclear exchange over Taiwan (and they would likely be correct in this assumption). This will be the key area to watch over the next 6 months.
China owes the world quadrillion$$ even if accidental (see Union Carbide & India).

Why do you always make everything so political? It’s not partisan to say our national response was poor. This is a broadly accepted opinion across the world.

It’s not necessary to always footnote that NJ/NY got rocked and made some poor decisions. Everyone knows this.
Exactly. There isn't a problem in this nation for which I think either party can entirely avoid any blame.

And in many cases the blame falls on us, the electorate. Because as much as we complain, we keep electing the same people and then complain about the results.

Vote 'em all out and give someone else a chance, is my motto. I can't legislate term limits but I can sure vote that way, when it seems appropriate.

Has anyone received, planted and smoked those Chinese seed packets yet? Asking for a friend.

Japan is having its most serious spike of the pandemic, with near/over 1000 cases per day the past few days, although it's worth noting for comparison, that that would translate to about 2500 cases per day in the US, where we've been averaging 65,000, roughly, so it's bad, but not very bad - yet - will be interesting to see if they can get control of this (my guess is yes). Their death rate is about 8 per 1MM (vs. ours of 470/1MM).

They've been one of the model countries, so far, with near universal mask-wearing and impressive contact tracing through their health care system. As in the US, most of the cases are coming from the young; their clusters have originated in gyms, pubs, music venues, karaoke rooms, and "hostess" rooms, but not from their notoriously packed subways (probably due to better masking, shorter exposures and less talking). It just goes to show, though, how easily transmissions can jump up so quickly.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-new-coronavirus-cases-record-daily-rise.html

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/japan-ends-its-covid-19-state-emergency

oMPLzoJ.png

because we are going to find out masks dont stop the spread.....hence why everyone is suggest eye goggles this week after 3 months of not addressing it.

More failure, randomness, or hypocrisy from Fauci and Birx. I think all these so called experts have no idea what is going on and how its spread right now, its spreading regardless

because we are going to find out masks dont stop the spread.....hence why everyone is suggest eye goggles this week after 3 months of not addressing it.

More failure, randomness, or hypocrisy from Fauci and Birx. I think all these so called experts have no idea what is going on and how its spread right now, its spreading regardless

What are you talking about?

Stop. The outbreak started in China and then the chicoms lied about it allowing thousands and thousands of international travelers to/from China while they locked down travel to/from the Hubei Province inside China. You guys are crazy believing 1) we could have prevented the virus from silently seeding as deeply as it did here and 2) our top career government scientists and health officials understood the chicomvirus initially, let alone elected politicians (giving both parties the benefit of the doubt), for a more effective response in Jan/Feb.
Nobody has disputed where the outbreak started. Most of the rest of your post is pure conjecture unsupported by anything resembling substantiated facts.

To claim there was nothing we could have done to limit the spread of the infection, or to learn about how to treat it, or get a head-start on vaccines... that's so obviously false that there's nothing polite that can be said about it.

But for sure, such fact-less conjecture helps deflect from the tremendously poor national response to the virus. Pure misinformation that leaves no room for self-reflection and self-improvement.

Opportunities for China, like the suppression of Hong Kong, actually didn’t come about because of the virus; we could have rallied sufficient leverage to make the Hong Kong policies uncomfortable for China even with the pandemic ongoing.

What hampered us here is that we’ve spent the last three years undermining our alliances and running our friendships into the ground, and in the last few months we’ve added to that by surrendering any kind of moral authority on issues of civil unrest, and portrayed systemic ineptitude in our response to COVID. Tough to gather partners to apply leverage when we don’t make ourselves an appealing mate...

Nobody has disputed where the outbreak started. Most of the rest of your post is pure conjecture unsupported by anything resembling substantiated facts.

To claim there was nothing we could have done to limit the spread of the infection, or to learn about how to treat it, or get a head-start on vaccines... that's so obviously false that there's nothing polite that can be said about it.

But for sure, such fact-less conjecture helps deflect from the tremendously poor national response to the virus. Pure misinformation that leaves no room for self-reflection and self-improvement.
That's total B.S. I didn't claim there was "nothing we could do to limit the spread of the infection" or your other nonsense at all---you're falling into your old CE game of misrepresenting what others specifically post to fit your agenda. I may disagree with the extent to which the CDC testing kit failure hurt our initial response, but I have acknowledged it did. I have also cited the lack of consensus among the career government scientists and health officials--who themselves have criticized the Chicoms and the WHO for lack of transparency and timely information. You really need to catsup in this thread.

And there is zero conjecture about the Chicom lies and cover-ups, or the amount of international travel that landed in the U.S either directly from China or from China through Europe, because the world was largely unaware of the deadly chicomvirus danger at the outset.

Reactions: biker7766
everywhere i turn on the tv i see Fauci, Birx and other doctors all of sudden out of the blue..but hardly not coordinated suggesting eye shields
UHHMMM you realize the white house was blocking them from being interviewed on TV a while right, and now they stopped blocking them. CNN said for weeks that they kept trying to get Fauci on and WH kept blocking him and Birx.

I don't believe anyone is disputing that what steps were taken saved lives. The point of argument, however, is that more steps should have been taken to save more lives, and, perhaps, lessen the impact of this first wave, and, perhaps, the inevitable second wave.
Exactly.

Also, the quote from Fauci doesn't say what the person on twitter who posted it is trying to make it out to have said.

I don't believe anyone is disputing that what steps were taken saved lives. The point of argument, however, is that more steps should have been taken to save more lives, and, perhaps, lessen the impact of this first wave, and, perhaps, the inevitable second wave.

And as always... the Monday Morning Quarterback is an All-Pro every season!!!

Haven't mentioned NY/NJ in awhile. Things looking very good for NY, with hospitalizations, ICU patients and intubations at their lowest since mid-March, and their cases remaining flat (and low), but things aren't looking quite as good in NJ, as cases are clearly starting to spike up again, as our 7-day moving average in cases has doubled from 225 to 450 over the past 10 days. Reports from ABC News, below:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coron...ords-67000-cases-single-day/story?id=72097912

11:22 a.m.: New York reports 3 new record lows since mid-March
New York saw its lowest number of hospitalizations, ICU patients and intubations since mid-March on Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office said.

Hospitalizations dropped to 576, the lowest since March 17, while ICU patients dropped to 140, the lowest number since March 16. Intubations were down to 70, the lowest number since March 15.

Less than 1% of Thursday's COVID-19 tests were positive.

There were five deaths in the entire state in the last 24 hours.

"New York State continues to closely monitor alarming COVID-19 numbers throughout the nation as we flatten the curve, slow the spread and proceed with a data-driven, phased reopening," Cuomo said in a statement.

He encouraged New Yorkers to continue social distancing, wearing masks and washing their hands.

4:28 p.m.: New Jersey at 'very dangerous place,' governor says
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said that while the state is one of the nation's leaders in low positivity rate, "we are standing at a very dangerous place."

The state's department of health reported 699 new positive cases Friday, an increase that pushed the total number of cases to 181,660.

"The alarm bells are going off," Murphy said. "We need people to take this seriously."

The governor said the state is cracking down on house parties, which he said was one of the reasons for the increase. He added that he could change the number allowed for indoor and outdoor gatherings at any time.

"I am not announcing any specific action today, but consider this as being put on notice. We will not tolerate these devil-may-care, nonchalant attitudes any more," Murphy said. "We are not past this. Everyone who walks around refusing to wear a mask, or who hosts a house party, is directly contributing to these increases."

Yes ,Jim Jordan is angry ...this entire country is angry and had there not been a covid19 pandemic in 2020 we would not be having this conversation ... that is not fake news.
He's been angry for much longer than that. He's the biggest snowflake of them all. Just overly ridiculous outrage at everything. He's not really credible to anyone but the hard-core trumpers. He's been around for years and hasn't sponsored a single piece of legislation that has actually passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT