ADVERTISEMENT

Daily reminder how awful the bubble is this year. Monday morning bracket updates, we're still in (10/11 seed)

WPUknight

Senior
Oct 23, 2008
I know most of you won't be able to believe this, but even if we lose Thursday there's a 50/50 chance we make it. Will all depend how the chips fall during the next week.

Almost every other team that was on the 'last four in/last four out' bubble lost this weekend. UNC, Nevada, Miss St, Michigan

Yes, we blew it.

Yes, we wont make any noise even if we make it.

Yes, we dont deserve to make it.

I don't care. I still want to hang the banner and keep the streak alive.

Win Thursday and were 100% in. Lose and we sweat out selection Sunday.

The Athletic-- 11 Seed (https://theathletic.com/4278774/2023/03/06/ncaa-tournament-bracket-mock-predictions-ucla-purdue/)

Bracket Beyond- 11 Seed (https://bracketbeyondbyjon.wordpress.com/)

Big Underdog- 10 Seed (https://big-underdog.com/)

Body of work

As sad as we may seem to be right now, you have to look at the other teams and ask who do you include in the field of 68 to replace us that’s outside now? ASU? Putrid Vanderbilt? UNC which would cause an outcry from the rest of the nation if they are included how bad they’ve been? Clemson who has beaten not 1 single good team? No

Do we stink and not really deserve to make the tournament? Absolutely

Would we get blown out by a 6 seed? Most likely

Do we still have a chance to make the dance even if we lose again on Thursday? Yup

All three can be true and all it takes is just paying a little attention to the predicted brackets but too many on this board don’t live in reality. Sucks for them.

One other thing. The selections for at large teams are basically decided by Wednesday. They don't put much consideration into conference tournament games for at large teams.

Wednesday is when they slot the obvious teams into the field...they are working through the rest of the field between Thursday and Saturday. And conference tournament games definitely matter (though as you get to Saturday night/Sunday, wins/losses in the championship games don't seem to have a big impact on seeding).

Body of work
mediocre body of work relative to even weaker body of work by our bubble competitors...I always thought we were better than 70% to at least make Dayton even if we lost our last 2...we'll see soon although a win against UM would certainly make me feel more comfortable and i just don't know if we have the horses (or confidence) to do that...

mediocre body of work relative to even weaker body of work by our bubble competitors...I always thought we were better than 70% to at least make Dayton even if we lost our last 2...we'll see soon although a win against UM would certainly make me feel more comfortable and i just don't know if we have the horses (or confidence) to do that...
This. Sadly I'm already counting Thursday as a lost. I just cant see this team beating Michigan right now.

So I'm trying to look ahead and see what are the chances we make it even with a lost Thursday. It's really 50/50 at this point for Dayton.

Reactions: biker7766
Nonsense. Rutgers is 100% out with a loss on Thursday. Win that game, that likely puts us in the First Four. Win 2 and there’s no doubt that we’re in.

But seriously, I think everyone — even the overly positive posters who spent the last few months on here shouting down anyone who voiced skepticism about this team — knows deep down that this thing is just about over. We can’t score.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Nonsense. Rutgers is 100% out with a loss on Thursday. Win that game, that likely puts us in the First Four. Win 2 and there’s no doubt that we’re in.

But seriously, I think everyone — even the overly positive posters who spent the last few months on here shouting down anyone who voiced skepticism about this team — knows deep down that this thing is just about over. We can’t score.
100% out is a stretch. A large amount of brackets currently don't even have us in that 'last four in' section. That means we would have to drop 5/6 spots after a lost.

Obviously the chances of making it won't be great. But it would still be a possibility that we get in.

What other teams would deserve it? Just keep asking yourself that. Every other team that is near us is awful as well.

Look at Nevada for example. Going into this week they were in that 'last four in' section. They lost this past week to WYOMING! (9-21) and UNLV at home.

Yes, Rutgers keeps losing. But so does every other team.

The problem is that some teams are going to play themselves in. There’s likely one or two auto bid stealers then a team like Utah state or unc can play themselves in. It’s not realistic for no teams to play themselves in either with at large or auto bid

For a glass half-full perspective: we are 2-3 in our last five games, both wins on the road. That is not disastrous. We were up by ten and playing well against Minny. So regardless of how we do on Thursday, we should be in. Also, I wouldn't bury the team just yet since they are capable of playing better. Hit some shots and all is well.

The resume as of today is a NCAA caliber resume. It's ugly and we got jobbed at OSU and fell apart in the last 60 seconds at Minnesota. Neither of those items erases 29 other games of work, good and bad. If the referees and B1G handle the game properly, RU is firmly in the field. Getting penalized for that game as a loss would be terrible as a committee to blindly ignore.

I am not excusing the play in the last 8 to 10 games but it doesn't remove the caliber of road wins and Q1 wins.

The problem is that some teams are going to play themselves in. There’s likely one or two auto bid stealers then a team like Utah state or unc can play themselves in. It’s not realistic for no teams to play themselves in either with at large or auto bid
Yes for sure. That's why I say its 50/50. It all depends what else happens during the week. If there is only 1 bid stealer that may be good enough for Rutgers to get to Dayton.

The only leagues that I could see being possible bid stealing leagues are the ACC, American, Pac 12, Conference USA & Mountain West.

The BIG, SEC & Big 12 have 7-10 teams locked in already. It would have to take a massive upset for someone to steal a bid from those leagues.

Yes for sure. That's why I say its 50/50. It all depends what else happens during the week. If there is only 1 bid stealer that may be good enough for Rutgers to get to Dayton.

The only leagues that I could see being possible bid stealing leagues are the ACC, American, Pac 12, Conference USA & Mountain West.

The BIG, SEC & Big 12 have 7-10 teams locked in already. It would have to take a massive upset for someone to steal a bid from those leagues.
I’d add big East too. I wouldn’t pick it, but Villanova could win that tournament

We can acknowledge the bubble is extremely weak and also say we have been falling right out of the tourney. But a little perspective is necessary , we were a 5/6 seed on February 4 when we beat MSU at MSG and when Mag went down. We are 2-6 since then with both wins on the road. Plus that MSG win should be considered neutral by the committee even if the NCAA declared it a home game. So as our losses have piled up we have slid to 7, then 8, then 9, now either 10 or 11 so that is sliding 5-6 seed lines which is massive and too harsh with the rest of our resume.

Look at Iowa State who lost 4 on a row and got blown out in a # of them , they were a 3 seed in the committee reveal 3 weeks ago . They have slid in many brackets to 5/7. So that is only 2-4 seed lines. Although the BIG 12 is better actually and in perception this year than the BIg 10, the gauntlet we have navigated is just as hard as the BIG 12 during this downward trend. We lost to Indiana and Illinois under double digits away projected as a 4 seed and 7 seed.so that will not ding the original 5/6 line much. We lost to Nebraska who will not be in the field but their beating Maryland , 7 seed , Wisconsin bubble , NW ,6 seed and now Iowa ,7/8 seed besides beating us has to lessen the initial thought that it was a terrible loss . So we start sliding to 6/8 seeding. We beat Wisconsin away who is in the field at the time and maybe still or on the bubble then our seed is closer to 6/7 than an 8.
We lose to Michigan , a true bubble out of the tourney today but just lost 3 OT games in a row and any Committee member watching them this month has to think they are a tourney team although they likely will not make it. So maybe on the 7 line or 8 line .

We beat Penn State on the road and they are a true bubble and in some brackets as last team in today and we won there something other tourney teams Maryland , Illinois ,Purdue and others did not. So after Michigan and Penn State we should still be in that 7-9 seed range.

We lose at Minnesota ( leaving out for a second we were leading the whole game until 1/2 a second left and controlled that game by double digits for almost 25 minutes until the 1 minute meltdown ) , that should ding us and if we were a 7 then an 8 , if an 8 then a 9 , and if a 9 before that game , then we are a 10 . Maybe lower but that wouldn’t be consistent.

Nw is a 6 seed so maybe we slide on the same seed line down a notch or 2. So if we were a lower 8 now first 9 , if a 9 maybe last 9 , if a 10 ( pretty unfair in my opinion prior to NW ) then lower 10.

So when looked at objectively and fairly we should still be safely in the field and not in Dayton. Now supposedly the last 5-10 games are not weighed any differently than the first 5-10 but the human factor on the committee will notice we are struggling and playing not like a tourney team but we are struggling against the teams in the 2nd best conference in the country losing to mostly bubble teams or solid in the field teams , hot teams , and one bad team. Hope they do their full diligence. This doesn’t solve our offensive problems which has its own thread.

...but has Michigan AND Penn State in Dayton. What a bunch of crap.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: biker7766
...but has Michigan AND Penn State in Dayton. What a bunch of crap.

yeah he is beyond absurd at this point. Resume wise..not prediction wise we are no worse than last 1 or 2 out if not in which at least half of the bracketologists will still have tonight. Jerry already going against his own rules about teams getting in just 3 games above 500. He OBVIOUSLY is predicting a Michigan win vs Rutgers but thats not really the way bracketology is done. Then if RU wins he will set up the scenario that RU has to beat Purdue to get back into the field.

Do we stink and not really deserve to make the tournament? Absolutely

Would we get blown out by a 6 seed? Most likely

Do we still have a chance to make the dance even if we lose again on Thursday? Yup

All three can be true and all it takes is just paying a little attention to the predicted brackets but too many on this board don’t live in reality. Sucks for them.
If we get in the tourny, we deserve it. Tautological, perhaps, but as Parcells said, "you are what your record says you are." If we're in the tourny, existentially speaking, that's where we belong.

The way this season has descended for us, I am fully expecting this to be a record year for bid stealers

• Haha
Reactions: WPUknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT