ADVERTISEMENT

Daily reminder how awful the bubble is this year. Monday morning bracket updates, we're still in (10/11 seed)

If we get in the tourny, we deserve it. Tautological, perhaps, but as Parcells said, "you are what your record says you are." If we're in the tourny, existentially speaking, that's where we belong.
I suppose but this isn’t like last year. Last year I would have been devastated if we didn’t make it because I knew how good we were. This year I know we suck and are only considered because the metrics overrate us.

Wachtel was wrong for weeks at a time last year, parroting the Lafayette and NET nonsense while ignoring the 4 straight ranked wins in a row. The resume also didn't have the road wins 2 years ago when they were wrong thinking Minnesota was a must win, when it wasn't then either.

The resume this year is better than 2 years ago and last year, unless the fans want to act as if Minnesota is suddenly worse than losing to Lafayette at home (which it's not).....Losing at UMASS last year was worse than the neutral loss to Temple....the ranked road wins (I was told almost 1000 times) is sooooo much more important than winning at the RAC. Now Maryland is safely in with the 'RU-RAC resume and 1 B1G road win (at Minnesota).

Plus I have a "neutral- home game at MSG vs Michigan State, which suddenly isn't good enough as well.

Look, Nebraska a month ago, was a bad loss, now suddenly not so much. If Ohio State away was a legitimate loss, then I could agree that the "not going to make it crowd", seems to enjoy having right now.

If everyone is at least consistent on what's important, then RU is in the NCAAs. If we aren't counting road wins, I don't want to hear anything else ever about OOC scheduling.

Do we stink and not really deserve to make the tournament? Absolutely

Would we get blown out by a 6 seed? Most likely

Do we still have a chance to make the dance even if we lose again on Thursday? Yup

All three can be true and all it takes is just paying a little attention to the predicted brackets but too many on this board don’t live in reality. Sucks for them.
Spot on.
Most people prefer "feel" over "facts".

Reactions: FinalFourOrBust
Wachtel was wrong for weeks at a time last year, parroting the Lafayette and NET nonsense while ignoring the 4 straight ranked wins in a row. The resume also didn't have the road wins 2 years ago when they were wrong thinking Minnesota was a must win, when it wasn't then either.

The resume this year is better than 2 years ago and last year, unless the fans want to act as if Minnesota is suddenly worse than losing to Lafayette at home (which it's not).....Losing at UMASS last year was worse than the neutral loss to Temple....the ranked road wins (I was told almost 1000 times) is sooooo much more important than winning at the RAC. Now Maryland is safely in with the 'RU-RAC resume and 1 B1G road win (at Minnesota).

Plus I have a "neutral- home game at MSG vs Michigan State, which suddenly isn't good enough as well.

Look, Nebraska a month ago, was a bad loss, now suddenly not so much. If Ohio State away was a legitimate loss, then I could agree that the "not going to make it crowd", seems to enjoy having right now.

If everyone is at least consistent on what's important, then RU is in the NCAAs. If we aren't counting road wins, I don't want to hear anything else ever about OOC scheduling.

Last year the wins were better. The Big 10 was better

Our non conference sos was and continues to be trash

I suppose but this isn’t like last year. Last year I would have been devastated if we didn’t make it because I knew how good we were. This year I know we suck and are only considered because the metrics overrate us.
Yeah, I get that, but I suppose I leave all options open, depending on matchups. None of us thought we'd come back from 19 down at PSU, but we pulled it off. Maybe Derek and Palm will combine for 25 points against whoever we play in the first round, if we get invited. Imagine being Kentucky last year and losing to St. Pete's, a school of 3,600 students. Ever since MSG our fan base has been in shock over the deleterious effect losing Mag has had on our offense, but maybe we will match up well against a non-B1G team or two.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Last year the wins were better. The Big 10 was better

Our non conference sos was and continues to be trash

So winning at #1 Purdue this year isn't better than winning vs #1 Purdue at home last year....??

You are at least willing to play "Whack-A-Mole".....last year and 2 years ago it was lack of road wins.....now it's back to the SOS......other times it's lack of road wins.....you can't cover all the bases.

I keep telling you that you're wrong and SOS is irrelevant....what is more relevant is how many games over .500 are you....otherwise, wouldn't Michigan be safely in the NCAAs over PSU and Wisconsin among a bunch of others??

Michigan and a lot of other teams overschedule in the OOC, trying to play the role of hero-ball in November and early December. And when they get seeded lower or miss the NCAAs, no one wants to select them over the 3rd place Mountain West team. The system is pretty accurate, RU, Iowa and a bunch of teams have figured out how to survive without one and done type players and find a balance of allowing their young players to grow in November and December. Iowa losing to Eastern Illinois at home can happen, but being comfortably over .500 helps way more.

The other key is no more than 13 regular season losses if you are in a Top 2 or 3 Power 5 conference.

The item on the B1G not being as good this year than last year?? Based on what exactly?? Because there's no lock for the Final 4?? The Pac 12 could get 2 in the Final Four and they're nowhere near the Big 12 or B1G

It's pretty bold to say that when other leagues have Georgetown, California and Louisville that are actually worse than Minnesota.

So winning at #1 Purdue this year isn't better than winning vs #1 Purdue at home last year....??

You are at least willing to play "Whack-A-Mole".....last year and 2 years ago it was lack of road wins.....now it's back to the SOS......other times it's lack of road wins.....you can't cover all the bases.

I keep telling you that you're wrong and SOS is irrelevant....what is more relevant is how many games over .500 are you....otherwise, wouldn't Michigan be safely in the NCAAs over PSU and Wisconsin among a bunch of others??

Michigan and a lot of other teams overschedule in the OOC, trying to play the role of hero-ball in November and early December. And when they get seeded lower or miss the NCAAs, no one wants to select them over the 3rd place Mountain West team. The system is pretty accurate, RU, Iowa and a bunch of teams have figured out how to survive without one and done type players and find a balance of allowing their young players to grow in November and December. Iowa losing to Eastern Illinois at home can happen, but being comfortably over .500 helps way more.

The other key is no more than 13 regular season losses if you are in a Top 2 or 3 Power 5 conference.

The item on the B1G not being as good this year than last year?? Based on what exactly?? Because there's no lock for the Final 4?? The Pac 12 could get 2 in the Final Four and they're nowhere near the Big 12 or B1G

It's pretty bold to say that when other leagues have Georgetown, California and Louisville that are actually worse than Minnesota.

Also winning at co league champ Wisconsin was big last year. Purdue didnt even win it

Rutgers other wins this year are not as good period

Sos is keeping Wisconsin in the field at 17-13 because they have a win vs school with a pulse Marquette and also beat USC

Penn State at 19-12 is considered last in because they didn't play or beat anyone ooc

Ru scheduling like crap and still taking bad losses every year might as well schedule better

Also winning at co league champ Wisconsin was big last year. Purdue didnt even win it

Rutgers other wins this year are not as good period

Sos is keeping Wisconsin in the field at 17-13 because they have a win vs school with a pulse Marquette and also beat USC

Penn State at 19-12 is considered last in because they didn't play or beat anyone ooc

Ru scheduling like crap and still taking bad losses every year might as well schedule better
Wisconsin has a win over a “team with a pulse” and “USC” a bubble team but our wins against Purdue, and then PSU, PSU, Indiana, and by the way Wisconsin are then what?

Actually I think if we made it, we would make some noise. The tightness in the team is the pressure of being so close to making the tournament.
Even a close loss to Michigan could squeak us in. A lot depends on the other Big Ten bubble teams & bid stealers.
Say Rutgers gets the play-in with Nevada, a team not so familiar with how to play Cliff or Shut down Cam. A Rejuvenated Rutgers wins and goes to Albany before a big Rutgers Crowd..

The resume as of today is a NCAA caliber resume. It's ugly and we got jobbed at OSU and fell apart in the last 60 seconds at Minnesota. Neither of those items erases 29 other games of work, good and bad. If the referees and B1G handle the game properly, RU is firmly in the field. Getting penalized for that game as a loss would be terrible as a committee to blindly ignore.

I am not excusing the play in the last 8 to 10 games but it doesn't remove the caliber of road wins and Q1 wins.
I hope the selection committee is aware that Rutgers would be 19-12 and 11-9 in the Big Ten if the refs had not committed errors that cost us the game at Ohio State. Plus the win on the road would be another Quad 1 win. Can Hobbs make the committee aware that the refs errors cost us a big win?

I hope the selection committee is aware that Rutgers would be 19-12 and 11-9 in the Big Ten if the refs had not committed errors that cost us the game at Ohio State. Plus the win on the road would be another Quad 1 win. Can Hobbs make the committee aware that the refs errors cost us a big win?
I’m sure there is a lobby out there…

Actually I think if we made it, we would make some noise. The tightness in the team is the pressure of being so close to making the tournament.
Even a close loss to Michigan could squeak us in. A lot depends on the other Big Ten bubble teams & bid stealers.
Say Rutgers gets the play-in with Nevada, a team not so familiar with how to play Cliff or Shut down Cam. A Rejuvenated Rutgers wins and goes to Albany before a big Rutgers Crowd..

Could have said the same thing last year before the ND game and they completely dominated Cliff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT