ADVERTISEMENT

Disaster: GS making QB an open competition in ‘22

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
This is bad for the program. GW needs to start from game 1 and develop in a rebuild yr for the team. We don’t need Vedral’s limited ceiling to win us 3-5 games. We can get to the same results with GW

Yeah, we've heard this before. Ask sitkowski and Snyder lol. Vedrals job to lose haha.

All the coaches will watch Vedral run our offense in practice this spring and next fall against our own players.
He will undoubtedly run it smoother, more efficiently and with greater ease than anyone we have on the roster including GW.
Does anyone dispute that?
No I do agree but as the year goes on GW will be our guy based on his obvious better skill/talent compared to vedral

All the coaches will watch Vedral run our offense in practice this spring and next fall against our own players.
He will undoubtedly run it smoother, more efficiently and with greater ease than anyone we have on the roster including GW.

You're right but something has to change and that usually means coaches or QB. We don't score any points and that needs to change.

Do you think Noah would be coming back for another year if Greg was handing Gavin the job now? While I think there is a clear ceiling to NV's abilities there is also a floor and I am not sure I see evidence that GW is ready to take over. Some of his throws yesterday were not great. He needs to have a great off season to be ready to start in the fall.

As a coach you see the potential of a QB- how strong his arm is and the depth/accuracy of the ball he throws- even if he doesn’t make the right reads. GW has a better arm and is faster- you saw that on the 35 yard run yesterday (looked like Kyler Murray).
So GS- who has ALWAYS been a win now at all costs coach, needs to see 22 as a building yr to build bowl-bound teams in 23-25.

Problem is. In today’s football starter rep differential from backups is to great….imo
Typically 70/30 or 80/20 practice rep split
QB3 runs scout.

If you’re talking about in-game splits, then Johnny Everything has a package of plays that are effective so then you have a three headed monster.

You don’t need to address it at all.
My staff and I aren’t addressing personnel or depth issues at this time.
Open competition….meh
It’s exactly the type of thing we know Greg is going to say, however, not the least bit surprised. I should’ve been more clear my bad.

People were complaining about Wimsatt’s arm strength in the game thread.

This was after he threw a ball literally 3x further than anything Vedral had thrown up to that point.

Can’t please everyone.
Same people probably didn’t bother noticing his poise and presence in the pocket as well as the fact that he runs like a freaking gazelle.

This is bad for the program. GW needs to start from game 1 and develop in a rebuild yr for the team. We don’t need Vedral’s limited ceiling to win us 3-5 games. We can get to the same results with GW

You whined all of last year that there was no real QB competition and now you are whining that there is QB competition . Of course there is competition , at all positions. What if Simon really steps up ? What if Gavin not ready ? What about the transfer QB they bring in during the spring ? This is big boy football , you earn it by competing.

Relax - it’s big time sports; coaches push the competition angle on every position. You don’t just say you are handing someone the job. It’s good for Wimsatt too. At Bama or Georgia or PSU Wimsatt would have 5 guys competing with him for real. At RU it’s 2 others and they are straw men.

Awarding GW the job without an open competition could destroy the QB room. An open competition keeps every QB in the room working their hardest. The portal changes how you have to deal with your players. Keeping quality back ups, especially at QB, has become a challenging part of coaching

I watched all his throws Mike, his deep ones were weak-ass throws no matter how you evaluate them
That's true. But devil's advocate: he's also an 18 year old that went through a full college football season without a proper strength and conditioning program.

What you saw yesterday with 3 QBs in at different times in the game will be repeated in 2022.

Noah will likely be the starter with the bulk of the snaps at least for the first half of the season.

• Haha
Reactions: FastMJ
What you saw yesterday with 3 QBs in at different times in the game will be repeated in 2022.

Noah will likely be the starter with the bulk of the snaps at least for the first half of the season.
I don’t know how you can say what is likely next season.

It’s a competition, every day, but with two huge chunks of time when the team is on the field, spring practice and summer camp. So much depends on how each QB leads and plays.

How naïve to post BS on what has always been Greg’s philosophy .Good or bad it makes kids work harder .If you truly knew anything about sports and especially at that position you would have known that but …once again you also post as soon as fit doesn’t it your thinking . I make the challenge to you …are we the only program not to have a competition in spring at QB or for that matter any other position? Maybe some objectivity on your part would be a good thing however I would you would change your opinion. Keep watching because better times are a coming.

I think Vedral should start and ease Wimsatt in unless it is crystal clear that Wimsatt is a much better quarterback, but we haven't seen that yet. In one of the regular games he made a nice play but that's about it thus far. In Wimsatt's defense, he has not been here that long to have a full understanding of the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBOB72
Agree on starting Vedral with Gavin also playing much more in game one. It doesn’t mean Gavin is behind but it gives the staff time to evaluate the rest of the Offensive starters against what should be a good BC team. Again the O line and WR core will be very important to any QB’s success.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
As a coach you see the potential of a QB- how strong his arm is and the depth/accuracy of the ball he throws- even if he doesn’t make the right reads. GW has a better arm and is faster- you saw that on the 35 yard run yesterday (looked like Kyler Murray).
So GS- who has ALWAYS been a win now at all costs coach, needs to see 22 as a building yr to build bowl-bound teams in 23-25.

I dont think that 35 yard run scratched the surface of his top speed. Felt he still has another gear that he didn't hit yet. Seemed like a deliberate but cautious run with eyes looking downfield.

Not a bad thing and I might be wrong, but that run seemed almost comfortable for him.

Of course there will be a QB competition, no one is going to be handed the starter’s job. However , there is a reason GW played most of the 2nd half yesterday. He has a lot to learn by next Sept. but I would be somewhat suprised if he is not the starter against BC.

Reactions: PaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT