ADVERTISEMENT

FDU Post Game Analysis

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

didnt see a post game analysis thread. Anyway here is what I took away from tonights games.

- Defense was horrendous in the first half, especially with how easy FDU was getting to the rim, there was no defensive rotations, evidently pikiell got in their ears at halftime and the team looked like a whole different squad defensively in the second half, great hedges, rotations, etc.

- this team is going to be frustratingly enjoyable to watch. With the way we can shoot the ball we have a chance any game but I think athletic guards are going to give us a ton of trouble.

- Geo tried doing too much in the 1st half, was dribbling way too much and trying to be too fancy, he settled down and looked like a floor general soon after. We’re screwed if he gets in foul trouble though, really lack depth at pg, Caleb didnt seem comfortable running the offense, yes I know still game 1.

Eugene O- kid has grown sooooo much as a basketball player, truly incredible. Now hes hitting 3’s!? Not just hitting them but looking like he’s been there before. Kid continues to impress the hell out of me. And took 2 charges, love that, he took 28 last year.

- Peter Kiss does a lot of little things that go unnoticed. Hes a spark plug and plays with alot of emotion. His shot isnt the prettiest but he seems to be the type where he can either be lights out or way off on any given night. He wasnt as good defensively as advertised, he got cooked a number of times.

- Myles Johnson is exciting. Kid is just good all around, post moves, passing, shot blocking, defense. Very excited for his next 4 years.

- Shaq Doorson can be dominant. Hes fully healthy and the kid has some serious bounce for a guy his size, really a presence on the glass.

- Montez Mathis didnt look ready for d1 basketball tonight. Was hanging his head, not hustling after mistakes, bad passes, awful looking free throws, air balls. He still scored 10 points and hopefully it was just mental and emotions and is fixed quick. Im not expecting a ton from him this year though, i think it’ll be a growth year.

- Ron Harper- just a smart basketball player. He’ll be a nice contributor for us this year. Hes gonna have trouble guarding guards but kid knows where to be on the offensive end and is a weapon.

- looks like duke is going to be a role player this year with shaq D and myles.

- peculiar that shaq carter barely played

Overall good first game. Excited for the future, still not expecting anything more than like 14 wins this year

Defense (and defensive rebounding) definitely had more worried. The good news is we have length and that can mask some weakness.

Baker and Kiss had quite a few rough possessions, especially in the 1st half.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
didnt see a post game analysis thread.

- Montez Mathis didnt look ready for d1 basketball tonight. Was hanging his head, not hustling after mistakes, bad passes, awful looking free throws, air balls. He still scored 10 points and hopefully it was just mental and emotions and is fixed quick. Im not expecting a ton from him this year though, i think it’ll be a growth year.

Pikiell expects a lot out of him this year. His playing time through the rough patches told me everything I needed to know.

didnt see a post game analysis thread. Anyway here is what I took away from tonights games.

- Defense was horrendous in the first half, especially with how easy FDU was getting to the rim, there was no defensive rotations, evidently pikiell got in their ears at halftime and the team looked like a whole different squad defensively in the second half, great hedges, rotations, etc.

- this team is going to be frustratingly enjoyable to watch. With the way we can shoot the ball we have a chance any game but I think athletic guards are going to give us a ton of trouble.

- Geo tried doing too much in the 1st half, was dribbling way too much and trying to be too fancy, he settled down and looked like a floor general soon after. We’re screwed if he gets in foul trouble though, really lack depth at pg, Caleb didnt seem comfortable running the offense, yes I know still game 1.

Eugene O- kid has grown sooooo much as a basketball player, truly incredible. Now hes hitting 3’s!? Not just hitting them but looking like he’s been there before. Kid continues to impress the hell out of me. And took 2 charges, love that, he took 28 last year.

- Peter Kiss does a lot of little things that go unnoticed. Hes a spark plug and plays with alot of emotion. His shot isnt the prettiest but he seems to be the type where he can either be lights out or way off on any given night. He wasnt as good defensively as advertised, he got cooked a number of times.

- Myles Johnson is exciting. Kid is just good all around, post moves, passing, shot blocking, defense. Very excited for his next 4 years.

- Shaq Doorson can be dominant. Hes fully healthy and the kid has some serious bounce for a guy his size, really a presence on the glass.

- Ron Harper- just a smart basketball player. He’ll be a nice contributor for us this year. Hes gonna have trouble guarding guards but kid knows where to be on the offensive end and is a weapon.

Overall good first game. Excited for the future, still not expecting anything more than like 14 wins this year

Good synopsis. I agree with almost everything but I’m not nearly as high on Doorson as you are. Johnson already does almost everything better.

Myles Johnson was the highlight for me. In him I see a fairly complete offensive and defensive player. I guy who plays smart around the rim and can log some minutes.
That bounce back he threw on that fast break was pretty amazing.

Reactions: RUonBrain
We’ll see if the first half was an aberration or not but I believe the second half is more indicative of what we will get defensively.

I say this because defense and rebounding are all about positioning, foot movement, and effort combined with anticipation (bb IQ) and athleticism.

The first three can be taught and practiced. The other two we already have, in virtually ever player.

Agree with everything except Shaq's potential to be "dominant". It's clear, he's eventually going to be replaced by Johnson as our starting 5. Shaq's a good role player. A valuable role pleyer. Grab some boards, get a few put backs, and take up space in the lane.

Thaim looked good also. Looking to pull the trigger from deep or attack the basket. Hopefully this continues. Would love to see him get a few touches in the post. Too many times last year he would disappear for long stretches on the offensive end. Hopefully that's over

Reactions: soundcrib
Agree with everything except Shaq's potential to be "dominant". It's clear, he's eventually going to be replaced by Johnson as our starting 5. Shaq's a good role player. A valuable role pleyer. Grab some boards, get a few put backs, and take up space in the lane.

Thaim looked good also. Looking to pull the trigger from deep or attack the basket. Hopefully this continues. Would love to see him get a few touches in the post. Too many times last year he would disappear for long stretches on the offensive end. Hopefully that's over
Dominant was a probably too strong of a word. But we have 2 legit 5’s imo

I wish Thaim would develop a nice pull up jumper. He has all that length but doesn't use it on offense. It would be unblockable. He needs to watch some Kevin Durant tape.

Kiss Myles Geo Harper EO Thiam Doorson all looked great. Mathis and McConell didn't play well but it's the first game. Not too worried about either though honestly. This team is much better than most preseason predictions had them. They just simply pass and shoot too well to be a 12 win team

Myles Johnson was the biggest surprise for me .. you can tell the kid is really skilled especially offensively . Had great footwork in the post and man what a passer . I wax also pleasantly supeused how active he was on d and at blocking shots . I know it’s one game but this kid could be special .

Harper also was very impressive which I expected. Kid is a gamer and just knows how to play .

Great observations all around. I saw many of the same things.

first game with tons of newcomers...you are being too hard on alot of these players and the defense. Look to the difference in D and offensive sets as the game wore on. Thats where you should focus on
Wasn't there but I know a 30 game avg. Isn't established game one.

Reactions: RutgHoops

Agree that 14 wins is a median expectation, but for the first time in forever I feel like 18 or more wins is at least possible

RU now has more than 1 way to beat a team now...maybe it will avoiding turnovers
..maybe it will be better shooting...or it could be defense...

17 turnovers and 8-17 from FT line with a learning curve is a great sign when the team wins comfortably.

I'll wait until around Black Friday or the 5th game to raise a red flag or concern about a couple of things. The good news.....freshman dont know any better and just play.

There's a couple of ways to limit turnovers but the passing appears to be a strength of the offense, so we may have to live with them.....the ball moves now vs being cradled in Geo or Corey's hands to get a shot and then crash the glass.

The standout half court play was Baker drawing 2 and hitting Eugene with a clean pass that allowed him time to shoot the 3....because the staff has developed Baker so quickly, he drew a double team and made the pass....and that pick and pop is what you want from your stretch....Harper, Eugene, Thiam and Myles Johnson can all be the screener and catch the ball and shoot....that's a huge deal in half court offense.

One concern that I shared was how shaky McConnell looked. So many things have improved, but another reliable ball handler is needed. There was a debate on this board about whether a fifth year senior point guard would’ve been a good thing or a bad thing, I still think this was a no-brainer.

I ran into one of the coaches after the game. I tried to pay a general compliment and he spontaneously expressed his disappointment at that one player on offense, and to a lesser extent a number of people being taken off the dribble. I can understand the second concern. However, I think that FDU just has a couple of players who are very skilled and quick off the dribble, and that this will improve.

i’d have to imagine pike wasnt too happy with montez’s lack of hustle, fight and poor body language. Again, im confident pike will fix all that as it’s mental

Reactions: Loyal-Son
i’d have to imagine pike wasnt too happy with montez’s lack of hustle, fight and poor body language. Again, im confident pike will fix all that as it’s mental

It was good coaching to keep him in the game late IMO and let him work through some stuff. The pass to Harper and the and-1 chance he got (even though it was awkward looking and he missed the FT) should help his confidence.

Reactions: RutgHoops
What i liked about the Rutgers performance was the balanced scoring ,adjustments made at half time to improve defense and the depth at most positions,Areas for improvement are in foul shooting and reducing the number of turnovers,I also want to give a shout out to the fans who showed up after facing torrential rains getting to the RAC.

Loved Myles and Ron.
Liked Peter.
Let’s remember Peter and Ron won’t consistently shot that well.
MM covered his nervousness by trying to do too much. Strong and athletic. As long as he listens to the staff he’ll do well. Don’t see him as scorer against B1G comp.
CM.: Very nervous. Let’s see how he looks several games in.
Shaq C: let’s hope lack of pt was indicative of something (disciplining) other than ability to contribute.

No real surprises among returnees. Shaq D’s Improved mobility evident.
D 100% better in second half. Our length and help d owned the rim.
Like the way we spread floor in transition.

Take away: more, not less, optimistic.
Chance (with Mulcahy and Young) we dance next year. That many pieces.

Wasn't there but I know a 30 game avg. Isn't established game one.

So you weren’t there, but you are going to piss on a really impressive game with a Captain Obvious statement. Rediculous post.

If you aren’t going to add anything to the conversation, don’t post.

Reactions: Scangg
I wasn't there, but I'll add my two cents based on the stats, the highlights, and the comments on the board. I think this team can surprise and make a tournament. I know it's only one game, but the roster has enough versatility that Coach can matchup big, small, or a combination. They have good overall speed and quickness, and obviously they work hard. I think the key to the success of this team will be how they handle end of game situations. If they can out-tough other teams and wear them down (they did this last year in the B10 tourney) they can win more games than expected. And I predict that they beat SJU because they'll make SJU give up.

Reactions: BillyC80
Agree with this and your original post also. I'll add that it was a pretty good atmosphere for an inferior opponent, and good showing by students.

Lots of positives. Newcomers, as a whole, appear better than expected with lots of room for growth. We are raw but we are much more athletic and we are really long. We can shoot it a bit.

Only negative, to me, is this team may struggle against teams who can put pressure on Geo. We lack a second plus ball handling guard. That problem is solved next season but it could be an issue this year.

Posted in another thread that I thought Geo was terrific. All B1G ability. A lot of CBB players with his role take 15/16 shots last night. He took 9, had 7 assists and led us to 53.8% from the floor. Terrific game. Well coached player.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm one of the guys who thought Mathis didn't play well. I *also* think he has a chance to be a very good player, and that one game or half is not an indictment on his entire career. Believe it or not it's possible to think both things. I swear nuance is completely dead...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT