ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 30 MINNESOTA: AS OF NOW RU STILL IN BUT NCAA TOURNAMENT BID IN JEOPARDY

Allowing the clock to not run was a huge error. Caleb was backing up instead of forcing him to pick it up early. Just going at him in appearance would have done that without letting him get behind you.

But it should have never come to that. We have two guys on the floor, guards, who are afraid of the ball come fouling time. Paul and Caleb.

Paul got the ball when we were up 5. Instead of dribbling across the half court line, he stood still waiting for a double to come forcing him to make a dangerous cross court pass that was easily picked off and of course scored for a 3.

Put in Oskar and the freshman. You can't close out games if you are afraid of the line. There were more plays but just a brutal loss. Worst of the Pike era by far.
Actually Paul threw it up to Hyatt about 3 feet from mid court and istead of dribbling it across mid court down toward the basket he threw it backwards into the press and then Paul threw it away. This is also on Pike, Hyatt is a terrible ball handler, why is Simpson not in the game for Hyatt there.

Actually Paul threw it up to Hyatt about 3 feet from mid court and istead of dribbling it across mid court down toward the basket he threw it backwards into the press and then Paul threw it away. This is also on Pike, Hyatt is a terrible ball handler, why is Simpson not in the game for Hyatt there.
not positive but where was cliff was he also in passing distance, if cliff was ahead of the field?

it takes a perfect thread the needle scenario for a comeback like this to happen. When the ball starts rolling though you cant stop it, you never want to start it because you cant stop it. Game was lost when we just didnt make a stop at the 3 previous possessions were were 9/10

When you defense is trash, this is what happens
Reminds me of the Villanova comeback in 2011. Though that was only 70-61 with 2 full min left.

I’m at the bar. I’m the only one here. I have no energy to be upset. I love all of you. Well, most of you.

2024 can’t arrive soon enough. Signing off until I am no longer unemployed. Farewell until then (or when I see our names on Selection Sunday in which case fcuk all that).

Goodbye my friends.

I’m starting to have doubts about Steve’s future here. The singing of Africa was all I needed to see he has no control over this locker room. Ace will decommit shortly and we will be back to eddie Jordan days
Can we ban this poster please. Obviously a troll.

I’m starting to have doubts about Steve’s future here. The singing of Africa was all I needed to see he has no control over this locker room. Ace will decommit shortly and we will be back to eddie Jordan days
Please do me a favor tonight. Don’t walk or drive by any bridges.

Last edited:
I've accepted long, long ago that Paul is not a point guard.....he shouldn't be put in these high pressure levels to handle the ball and attack. If he merely takes the ball and advances it past half court, he would get fouled.

BUT.....BUT I will say again.....if you play passive offense and you are not wired to attack, you wind up overpassing the ball.....Mulcahy had NO reason to give up the ball, but he always is passive and not attacking. That is who he is as a player. It is up to the coaching staff to NOT GIVE HIM the ball in key situations against pressure.

I don't know how else to say it, but it is a ONE guard option for this current roster. And when the next team presses RU, what is the answer then?? Keep Simpson on the bench??
Really surprising how a fifth year senior throws a pass like Paul did in crunch time. Inexcusable.

;3 Q3 losses and a Q4 loss to one of the worst teams in power 6 conference basketball...and it will turn into a Quad 3 loss so its a hideous 4 Q3 losses...its a MAJOR RED FLAG on the resume as well as RUs horrific non conference sos of 312

No reason for recap

A comedy of errors

Completely on captains mainly Paul Mulcahy but also Caleb yet again missing a foul shot at the end of the game

They deserve to lose

Give credit to Minnesota

even if RU wins a game either vs Northwestern or in Big 10 tourney, this loss will dog Rutgers

some major major reflection needed here

also I am sick and tired of how this team gets protected from criticism constantly

THEY ARE NOT IMMUNE TO CRITICISM

STOP BABYING THEM

PAUL HAS BEEN ATROCIOUS

NO ONE TALKED ABOUT HIS TERRIBLE GAME LAST TIME

AND ITS LIKE WE CANNOT TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS

I have nothing to say but they just may have pissed their entire season away

Body of work is out the window now. Two n a half weeks ago, their “bad” losses were to temple (missing Paul and Caleb) and to Osu (conf apologized for allowing the shot to count) and the hall (who is 16-12 I believe). Now, Nebraska, at Minny, 5 of 7. To quote Mick in Rocky IV (or maybe I or III, who knows with Mick) “it’s ova Rock”. And I’m dying to be wrong but we just don’t know what will happen come conf tourney times, someone knocks off houston in the AAC, etc, plus, I don’t think the BIG is getting as many teams as everyone is projecting.

Reactions: biker7766
Minnesota shot well last year too vs RU, its not like they presented anything special. Garcia struggled at times but got better late. Battle hit some deep shots but how on earth can Cam overplay him and give up a wide open look
That was a brain fart. Cam was awesome but huge mistake there obviously. So many simple things down the stretch and it’s a W.

Reactions: biker7766 and RW90
Paul was playing poorly and making bad decisions for any player regardless of position

Cliff was never asked to break the press dribbling that's just a complete fabrication

I never said that. Pay attention.....I equate asking Paul to being a Point Guard to asking Cliff to break a press....both should never be asked (it is sarcasm).

Pike can't put Paul in these situations.....don't ask players to do things that they cannot succeed at. Stop putting this in Mulcahys hands to run the offense. Make good sound decisions and ask him to look to score. He isn't confident or consistent enough or doesn't quite understand the game.

He is a wing player. Give Simpson the ball, if he botches it, at least it will be because of lack of experience, not lack of abilities to attack the basket.

Minnesota shot well last year too vs RU, its not like they presented anything special. Garcia struggled at times but got better late. Battle hit some deep shots but how on earth can Cam overplay him and give up a wide open look
Literally the one thing you don’t want to happen there is for Battle to get an open look from 3

How much did the Big 10 F*** us this year,

Refs didn't properly review the end of the Ohio St game cost us 2 losses, the Seton Hall game they played emotionally devastated for 40 minutes, unlike the Minnesota game which got properly reviewed. For a minute there, I thought this was going to be the makeup call for Ohio St.

2/1 vs Minn

This 8 game stretch sucked ASS(3-5), it's tough to maintain focus and consistency playing back to back road games, let alone 5 in 7 games in hostile territory and unfamiliar rims. This loss is more on B1G scheduling.

2/4 MSG Mich St W, MSG floor cost us Mag
@ Illinois
@ Indiana
Vs Nebraska
@ Wisconsin W
Vs Michigan
@ Penn St W
3/2 @ Minnesota

That is a lot of flyer miles back and forth.
2 actual home games at the RAC over 4 weeks, lost both. These are college kids, not professionals.

People have been talking about it. Do you not read them talking about it on the board?

no i missed it because there were hundreds of post on bad takes from a game we were down 19 and then another couple of threads about penn state fans saying something and yet there were no receipts..thats where most of the talk was.

no i missed it because there were hundreds of post on bad takes from a game we were down 19 and then another couple of threads about penn state fans saying something and yet there were no receipts..thats where most of the talk was.
Ok.. I don't believe you lol. People have been talking about Paul Mulcahy's refusal to shoot since at least the Illinois loss and I'm 100% certain you've been reading the posts.

What hurts me the most is my 6 year old girl has turned into a huge fan (especially Cam) and loves watching the games with me. When she finds out the next morning we lose she gets upset ☹️
What hurts me the most is my 6 year old girl has turned into a huge fan (especially Cam) and loves watching the games with me. When she finds out the next morning we lose she gets upset ☹️
Yeah been there done that, now I have one at RU that is so miserable right now you can't imagine and twin 15 year olds that are FUMING!!!! So it doesn't get any easier...BUT she will have Gavin, Ace, DW, JMD & hopefully DH to root for so her future is so bright! Good timing to start to get in to this team! Tomorrow AM will suck...

Ok.. I don't believe you lol. People have been talking about Paul Mulcahy's refusal to shoot since at least the Illinois loss and I'm 100% certain you've been reading the posts.
im not talking about his refusal to shoot...talking about him not being in down the stretch of penn state and us playing better, his play last few games has been garbage. Mentally he is gone. This is beyond shooting the ball, its a question of is he hurting the team at this point...i know if i started a thread on this people would melt down because we on, just look at the ridiculous i told you so takes of people thinking they thought RU was going to win down 26-7

im not talking about his refusal to shoot...talking about him not being in down the stretch of penn state and us playing better, his play last few games has been garbage. Mentally he is gone. This is beyond shooting the ball, its a question of is he hurting the team at this point...i know if i started a thread on this people would melt down because we on, just look at the ridiculous i told you so takes of people thinking they thought RU was going to win down 26-7
Well a couple things:

(1) people disagreeing with you isn't the same as not being aloud to talk about something. You can or could start a thread about any of those things. You'd have supporters and you'd have people disagreeing with you. I'm very confident the thread would not be locked or deleted.

(2) whoever said a while back that Paul was our version of Ben Simmons was onto something

(3) Only one person actually said they expected us to win down 26-7 and quite frankly they're full of crap. I mean they might believe it.. I doubt they would've staked a significant sum on it at even odds.

The lack of shooting and mental status go hand and hand BTW. The lack of shooting never used to be this egregious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT